Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options
  • 01-09-2023 8:02am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A new thread for a new season! 🍂

Gentle/fine start to Autumn in Greystones.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Misty low cloud to start with in Kildare but blue skies breaking through now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bucketing down in Dublin, welcome September!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So a four- five day settled spell if the GFS is correct. A bit longer than that on the other models. It all depends on what the ex hurricane does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We should get 5 days out of this, it's no longer summer now and since we haven't had any summer since June 20th I'll gladly take the 5 days of warm and hopefully sunny weather. The warmth should last until next Thursday then our second season of Autumn get's it's act together from next weekend maybe.

After 7 or 8 wet/washout weekends in a row, this weekend is looking like a cracker, so i'll be spending most of the weekend outdoors making the most of it and I hope everyone else does so too.

Nice start. 19c in Portlaoise already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looking at it, can see high pressure is trying to return quickly after being shoved eastwards by the tropical activity in the Atlantic but is being put under pressure via deepening cyclone near Iceland. Probably need stronger influence from drivers for that high to override the impending autumn in the North Atlantic.

The stratospheric polar vortex is developing at this time of year but it tends to not see effect to a significant extent until November at earliest.

Got to love September uncertainty with tropical cyclones at their peak. Always a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Just found this thread and although I just posted this in the summer one ,here's the list of storm names 😀 is your name there....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

What's the highest ever September temperature? 28c? Could be 26c next week.

However a disappointingly cloudy weekend in the West and North 21c is OK but stubborn cloud that takes till evening to lift will be our lot.

Further South and East you'll get 22c or 23c and sun.

Then of course as new week starts sunny everywhere and 25c. Itl break on Wednesday though South might see reasonable weather at times during the month. High is closer to us than in Summer as is normal.

So apart from weekends(tongue in cheek) weather will be fair. This weekend will be dry everywhere though just cloudy in Connaught and Ulster.

29.1C in Kildare in 1906.

29.0C was achieved in Kerry on 7th September 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Only 15 hours in to autumn, and it's nice to have some heat which has been sadly missing over the past 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Think early September 91 came kinda close from memory. Think it reached up to 28c in some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thought it was going to be a lovely evening for a game of golf.....

Currently sitting in my car beside the 1st tee and its p1ssing down here in Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Bucketting down in Kerry since schools finished shortly before 4pm. Bloody typical 😏 I'll have to see what this fine spell delivers before I allow myself to get excited. This past week here has been poor, loads of rain and showers, constant overcast skies.

Kerry achieved 28.4C in 1991. Unusually that was also the highest temp of 1991 and it occurred at Valentia of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Got some sunshine and heat today in North Wicklow. It's cold now though. Really feels autumnal. Hoping for a decent September. 🤞

Remember that Thursday evening so well. Played a minor gaelic football match that evening which began at 7pm and finished in dusk at 8.20pm ish.

2 fabulous weeks of weather, last week of August and first week of September. The heat and warmth remained until 15th of September or so. A cool second half to the month.

I find the differences between the start and finish of seasons really interesting.

For example the weather on 1st June could be broadly similiar temperature wise to the last day of summer, 31 August. The later date would generally be warmer I'd say. The same is true of winter, 1st December and 28\29 February often being of similar temperature.

However, usually 1st September is a fair bit warmer than the last day of Autumn 30 November. And 1st March would generally be a lot colder than the last day of Spring, 31 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Now that summer is over it has finally decided to arrive...its as bad as when spring starts winter arrives...this is our upside down backward weather and theres no point blaming climate change because this is how our weather is and always has been as far as we know 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I went swimming in silver strand beach today. The water was nice and warm- well relatively speaking! I could see there was showers further to the east,but we escaped them.

Sryan will know but I think 1st September 1993 may have been the warmest day that year, 24C. Now around 27 June there were a few warm days but not sure if reached 24C. A poorish summer.

There have been many lovely starts to September but 1999 sticks in my memory. It was cloudy enough but the first 5 days and nights had a temperature range of 16c - 23c in the midlands. Ireland had played Croatia away on Saturday 4th September. After watching the match I remember walking around home at midnight in a t shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Pissed out the heavens in Cork during the afternoon after a morning of dreary grey cloud. Calm enough evening so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Some really unusual cloudscapes this evening in SW Laois and I spotted what I think was the beginnings of a funnel cloud (no camera sadly). It never rained in my location, but the showers really got going West of me. Looking forward to the bit of heat next Mon/Tue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely mild evening here in Kerry, now 15.7C after a high of 19.3C, some heavy local showers and sunshine today , can feel the damp humid air this evening, fog sure to form. Nights really closing in now.

Pic 21:17

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to say, the the fax charts look the best i've seen since the June hot spell, next week looks very warm, hopefully the clouds will play ball!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very cloudy this morning. 12C.

Leitrim

Ya today n tomorrow will see a lot of cloud in parts of the N and W away from coasts. May clear up each evening. Sunnier in S and E after morning.

Thunderstorms already developing off France that may impact the South and Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A lot of cloud about this morning, should lift and burn off. Donegal Airport doing well though, clear skies and 17 degrees at 10am

EIDL 020900Z 19010KT CAVOK 17/13 Q1020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Cloudy and misty this morning.

• Advertisement

Despite the relatively cool morning I get a feeling this September may challenge 2021 for warmth. Again like July and August nothing exceptional but constant warmer than average temperatures. Prob 1c by day overall but 2 to 3c by night. Coupled with some very warm spells it certainly won't be a cool September. IMT could be very high.

Early days of course but whereas some September's it's 13c this year it will be nearer 20c most days.

With Sea Temperatures very warm nights below 7 or 8c will be rare.

Advertisement