Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There are some real chancers out there installing firesticks. Neighbour got hers last year and the installer is going to turn hers off after a year if she doesn't pay €50. He must have some serious superpowers in Templemore, because he's away off to join the guards.

Took a bit of trial and error but have to say stremio is fantastic. The old ways are still the best, torrenting is so much smoother.

It's just hard to get family members heads around the idea that it isn't sky! Rebooting every few days is just a step too far for them.

I see lots of people aren't that impressed with Sky's streaming service. Doesn't seem great for €80 or so a month.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Sky's streaming service is 25 euros a month, FWIW.

I looked at getting it, but with my current setup it doesn't give me much more than what I currently have. Just need to figure out my CNN woes.

You've to add Sports, Sports Extra and movies, brings it up to €80 or so. Still no Apple, Paramount or Disney AFAIK, nor new release movies. Their catch up service seems buggy enough for a multi billion massive industry leading company.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Fair point.

How can a catch up service on a streaming service be buggy?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

It's the worse catch up service ever! You add stuff to the playlist and then access it through the player which works sometimes

• Advertisement

Thanks for that feedback. You have made my mind up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MickMacca7757

I don't know why you would get someone to install the firestick when its easily done yourself. All you need then is to get set up with the channels. I am with a guy for over 3 years and no real issues. Channels might go down for 10 minutes every couple of months for a server update. When your sub is up contact them through a group chat and then pay them through paypal. For 80 euros a year its great. None of this being ripped off with Sky. I say the only reason he is threatening to turn hers off is her sub is up

Yeah, that was my thought, or just trying to scare her. As for easy to set up, for somebody with a bit of interest in tech, yes, but trying to explain Vpns or getting an IPTV, she wouldn't have a clue nor anybody in her family. It's the same with others I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

She got a firestick but what is on it? If it's an annual iptv sub it will just expire after a year of she doesn't renew.

She still kept Sky because.....well, I don't have a f*cking clue. The level of tech knowledge on a scale of 1-10 would be -100.

Trying to explain IPTV subscriptions to her is nuclear physics to her, the eyes glaze over and the curtains come down.

I'm not really looking for help for her. My point is, saying firesticks are easy to set up isn't true. It is for people with a little tech know how and interest, for most people who cancel Sky and expect a similar experience, nope. They don't want to know about setting up playlists, getting subscriptions, VPN's etc. Trying to explain why iPlayer doesn't work or the server is down or rebooting it every few days, those eyes are glazing over again! As for clearing caches, Einstein stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭jj880

This is true. People of a similar age yeah you can point to them and say non-tech. But when its the older generation there is always a gap. My father can completely wire a house. Still cant grasp the concept of browser tabs after years with a laptop.

Id be considered the tech person in my family. I look after all IPTV anyway. My own son started telling me about MS Co-pilot and making AI videos of dogs the other day. I hadnt a notion what he was on about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

firesticks and iptv is a lot easier to get people to understand than kodi , and enigma 2 etc

Kodi isn't too bad if you set everything up for them, but if anything goes wrong.....

Tivimate wins hands down for me, can customise it to look like Sky.

with iptv there are only so many things that can go wrong . either the app, firestick or there internet . i had someone add kodi and nothing will work on the stick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭jj880

A few years ago a friend of mine saw my entertainment setup and asked could I do one for him. Mine, at the time was a Raspberry Pi, with Kodi. I said no, because if somethings goes wrong with mine, I ssh into it and troubleshoot it or just sudo reboot.

If I set up something like that for someone, at the end of the phone I'd be like Roy from the IT Crowd: "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on? Are you sure it is definitely turned on?, Right I'll call over later…"

The 50 quid install fee is not worth that kind of commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭endainoz

Can Tivimate still be gotten though? I thought they'd stopped supporting it?

Funnily enough, I went into the about section in settings yesterday and it downloaded a new update. Didn't seem to be any changes other than rounded edges on the tv guide menu. Just stands out a bit better.

The update reset the order of the channels on mine which was a bit annoying.

• Advertisement

If you've a back up, should do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Do ye pay for tivimate pro or just use the base version?

Bought the lifetime sub for €35ish. It can be used on 5 devices which I use between our house and our neighbours.

Is it always available at that price do you know?

Not sure, it was the price when I bought it a 15 months ago. Maybe they have sales sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

So with that you just install on your device, pay for a plan and you are done?

Can you view on multiple TVs in the house? My last IPTV provider seems to have gone away after a good few years so now looking for a new one. I need it on 2 tvs though and dont want to pay a sub for each tv.

Tivimate is front end to use your IPTV service. You pay €35 for a lifetime sub to use the app on up to 5 devices.

Then you need an IPTV service to load onto tivimate. Most providers will offer a discount for multiple subs to be used in the same house, so £50 for 1 connection, £65 for 2 connections, £80 for 3 connections etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

My guy offers free premium tivimate with his sub.

Or I pay about 6 quid every year to renew. Best 6 quid I ever pay. They give you an ap to install on your phone to register devices, that's all you use the phone ap for.

Then set the premium up on your streaming device and you can customise the f*ck out of it! Create your own categories like Sports or News, copy, move, hide, reorder channels, move and hide those endless groups you get. Don't think you get near the customisation options on Smarters pro or others.

• Advertisement

Where do I go for that? Install the app and find options there?

Advertisement