Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options
  • 31-08-2023 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I appreciate these boxes are illegal. But will Gardaí resources be taken away from other more serious crime and public safety activities to pursue these box users ?

Anyone think this is resources well spent, or it it wasting valuable resources ?

RTE news : Clampdown on TV 'dodgy boxes' as legal warnings issued

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0831/1402631-illegal-streaming-dodgy-boxes/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where does it mention Garda resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It doesn't, nor does it mention pursuing users of dodgy boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anyone think this is resources well spent, or it it wasting valuable resources ?

Resources well spent, considering it doesn’t take that much resources to investigate these kinds of crimes, and the return on investment is quite substantial. They appear to be going after the operators of these enterprises though rather than the users, which makes more sense than wasting resources having people going around doing individual inspections in the neighbourhood to see if the household has a tv licence 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Yes, it was the Independent I read about Gardaí. I posted the RTE link.

Gardaí are the only organization who can enter a home or business (with a warrent if you dont let them in), in order to seize a box as evidence and to initiate legal action, such as fines or court summons.

"A spokesperson for the gardaí said that the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (GNBCI) Intellectual Property Crime Unit currently has “a number of live investigations with some matters currently before the courts,” but “cannot provide specific details of matters that are currently before the courts or subject to criminal investigation”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's the suppliers of such boxes, and operators of the underlying streaming services, that the Gardai get involved in prosecuting, and this action is targets at, not the end users.

A wave of legal warnings have been delivered in person, by post and by email to people across Ireland involved in providing illegal access to premium TV content.

The cease-and-desist notices instruct those running the services to immediately stop all illegal streaming activity or risk facing the consequences, including criminal prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Don't understand why anyone would pay for a dodgy box when anyone who is half capable with a firestick can get free sports etc... in a matter of minutes for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

You realise they're the same thing, yes? A Firestick is just a dodgy box in USB thumb drive format.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

"You wouldn't steal a car", lol.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there a list available showing what crimes the gardai shouldn't investigate because it would affect some people (and sure it's not a serious crime anyway)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭Shoog

Many people are incapable of managing the IT required to keep an android box running. They tend to break on a regular basis. There is definitely a business model for people providing a consistent experience and technical support.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...a lot of the free services tend to absolutely sh1te, used them for years, excessive buffering and fcuk ups get a bit too much after a while, plenty of relatively cheap services out there, with decent service, but of course, feel free to share resources....

...completely losing game here, illegal connections are rapidly growing, theres no real way of completely stopping them, only real way is by shutting down the internets, so we ll just have to listen to these nonsense stories at the beginning of every new football season, then of course, it all slips away as the season progresses....

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Rightly, or wrongly, as long as soccer players are being paid hundreds of thousands of €s a week, dodgy boxes are going nowhere.

I won't be sharing anything. My service let me down once last season and im more than happy with it.

I agree with you though there is a lot of rubbish out there it's a matter of knowing what isn't.

ah shur ive probably checked out the the bones of 100 now, a lot of shite out there, but theres some decent ones to....

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

Gardaí are supposed to be for everyone's protection. The entirety of the public. They should not be doing the footwork of mega corporations like Sky/Virgin Media, nor should they be protecting the financial interests of Bank of Ireland after they messed up their app recently.

People have a pain in their flutes being told to fend for themselves or that patrols etc have to be curbed due to lack of numbers, then suddenly there's plenty of boots on the ground when required to protect the corporations or the politicians.

The justice minister walking the streets surrounded by 4 Gardaí was the icing on the cake. "Look how safe it is" when you're surrounded by coppers. I bet ya it's the first time either herself or that group of 4 Gardaí ever set foot on Talbot St.

Not at all, i'm probably of average intelligence. My point is i'm finding it bemusing that people pay money for something illegal that you can get for free somewhere else. I can understand the need for dodgy boxes 5-10 years ago but in 2023?

The Arabs are great lads that's all i'll say 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

This article is a regurgitation of a press release issued by the federation against copyright theft. Most media organisations will happily regurgitate a press statement like that, where there is no risk of liability, as a free "story" when supplied to them. That's what press releases are for - to generate media content that the releaser wants. this is not a case of some reporter digging into the activities of Gardai and breaking a story about what is going on under the hood. The indo know it is true that FATC have launched an action because FATC have told them they have in a press release. They know FATC are "working with Gardai" because FATC say they are - which may only mean they have written a letter to the Gardai. FATC have sent out letters to people they suspect of breach of copyright - that is all this story acually boils down to.

It only says they (FATC) "are working with" the Gardai, it does not say the Gardai are devoting manpower to an investigation. The purpose of the press release is to influence behaviour and generate fear around bying or selling these products. There is no reason to get excited or annoyed about the use of Garda resources in the absence of any meaningful information that disproportionate resources are being dedicate to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I know a huge amount of people locally that have these dodgy boxes. I was only made aware of the prevalence recently. I am confused how they cannot be shut down technically.

Waste of Garda resources alright - they should be busy faking millions of breath tests.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pubs even have them, and not to just show the 3pm games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I would've been under the impression that the majority of providers for these services aren't located in Ireland, nor are their servers.

An awful lot more, 'get a firestick, get _____app, put this playlist info in the textbox' set ups than, 'I'll land out to your gaffe with this box and set it up for you' arrangements this weather I'd expect.

I don't think this will be particularly impactful. I've only ever heard of one prosecution in Ireland, and that ended with community service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭jj880

In my experience the free sources are fine for films and box sets.

Free live TV on the other hand is very hit and miss and constantly needs fixing / updating.

Easier to buy a good IPTV sub for under 10 euro a month.

Post edited by jj880 on

some people just arent tech savvy, nothing wrong with it, but it really is simply out to set up these things....

havent bothered my arse with them yet, i ll wait till im arrested, then i ll think about it....

VPN is good if you access music - they are much more vigilant with regard to music. Also allows access to BBC if you go for a dedicated IP address.

They send a cease and desist notice with a three strokes and your out policy. This is the agreement they came to with copyright holders. So if you ever come on your ISPs radar you will be watched from then on. Best to avoid.

never had issues in regards music, but shur who knows, again, i ll wait for the warrant, know some that use them, some seem to work very well, can be very cheap to....

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Haddonfield

Firestick with a --- app and you are sorted. Been using it for 5 years and flawless. You need to use a vpn and a debrid account. Thats what people dont realise and then complain it doesnt work. Will never have an official subscription again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭jj880

😅 i agree on this though. Once you find a good free service tell no-one or it gets overrun and unusable.

Advertisement