Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I also tried getting a USA IP address:-

Post edited by Johnboy1951 on

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Anyone using nord vpn on an android box?

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I don't know if anyone is aware or has some insight into this but from my experience Express VPN doesn't seem to like wired /ethernet connections. I am unable to connect to the internet using ethernet via Express VPN when the VPN is enabled. It will only work on Wifi. I am using an Android box running Android 9. I think this is a specific issue for Express VPN for which they have not addressed.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues when trying to use a VPN via ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Yes, I researched the internet on this and by going into Settings and then 'Split Tunneling' and then 'unchecking' the root cause app by trial and error, I found it was the app 'Droid Settings'. So by not allowing the app 'Droid Settings' go through the VPN, it seems to have resolved it. Thanks👍👍👍

Apparently it seems to be a bug within Android. I have been using just wifi on the Android box for the past year lol 👍

• Advertisement

If only Xiaomi would release a mi stick 4k upgrade. The 2022 version got really great reviews with Google certification, built in Chromecast, Dolby Vision / Atmos, Android TV 11, Netflix 4k, Prime 4k, Youtube 4k. Would be a great option for those worried about Amazon locking down fire sticks.

Could still do a job but personally would want a bit more than 2gb / 8gb if buying now.

Always good to get a bug fixed on your box. 👍️

My last tv box was android 9 with Droid Settings menu in the skin. Worked really well over Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya shield pro is excellent.

I bought a new Philips OLED with android TV recently, I'm finding it very good for running the apps, as good as the shield to be honest.

I suspected a good Philips OLED would run IPTV well. My parents have a budget Philips LCD and even it runs IPTV on Android TV really well. I see Philips are generous with the RAM/storage on their OLEDs also. Just looked at a 2022 model with 4gb/16gb. Nearly double what my LG CS6 has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I was using a MeCool KM2 Plus with TiviMate for the last 18 months but it's getting laggy to control now (no issues with the same setup on a 4k firestick).

Returning the MeCool and want to invest in something decent.

Is the Z11 Formuler Pro 4k up there? And do i recall it comes with a specific IPTV App? Is this a paid app?

Thanks, would like something fairly future proof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

I've got the z11 pro max. Expensive but I paid it for the recording. The Mytvonline3 app is fantastic, the box itself is flawless and very fast. Even flicking thru channels, it's as quick as a sky box which I haven't seen on any other apps. I've had it about a year maybe with no issues until now.

I had issues last week with the MOL3 app shutting down. I went onto the formuler official forum and made a post. Didn't seem to get much help bar someone telling me to do a reset which I did, the app is now working again but no EPG which isn't a supplier issue.

I went back to the forum and spotted id gotten a pm from a mod/employee that I hadn't seen. He wanted me to do a short video, and gave instructions on how to send it and told me how to send a log to their servers and to reply with a tracking code the box gave me. I've just done that and hopefully they'll reply tomorrow with some instructions or details on how to fix it.

Fantastic customer service that you won't get off any of the cheap android boxes that offer no updates or support.

I'll report back with info on how they deal with it.

If the box was bust I'd nearly pay the money again for another. I couldn't recommend it highly enough, even with the issue I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is it a one off fee for the box and the apps just work? Or do you pay a sub as well for the app? (I know you'll be paying a sub to your iptv provider)

The app is on the box. No fee for it.

There's probably videos on YouTube of it working.

I've got all my favourites set up, probably 25ish channels and it just flicks thru them as quickly as a sky box would.

The recording function is fantastic too. Also, pause and rewind live TV is available but only if you have an SD card or usb stick inserted.

One annoying thing, and it's an Android TV software issue and not the box.......you can record onto a usb stick, or an SD card, but you can't delete off them via the box. You need to remove them and pop them in a pc/laptop or older box. This is my only fault but again, it's down to Android TV, not the box itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭tom23

Sorry explain this again to me, and apologies if i’m picking this up wrong… how does this Mytvonline3 work? Is it pulling in saoirview channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Could you not install an app like files or file explorer and use that to manage the old files?

That's really useful info about the box/app - might have to look into this in future..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

It's an IPTV app you need a provider it doesn't give you any channels

Just to add I also have the z11 pro Max and echo everything .red has said

Haven't had any of the issues though it's been flawless for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

The tivimate app can delete recordings from the Android box it's running on. Problem is recording is not very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Can it series link, or can it just record something you are watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Any chance you could install apk extractor and make a copy of the mytvonline3 apk?

I've tried but apparently since a certain android TV version(I don't know which one) it can't be done.

I can record onto the box, and delete those items, but if I set them to record onto external storage then they can't be deleted by the box. Makes no sense to me but there must be a reason for it.

• Advertisement

Yes, it can series link.

If you pay for a second IPTV subscription you can set it up to play one channel and record another. Dunno how well that works as I haven't tried it.

I have 2 subs the recording a different channel while watching another works fine. Don't use it much as I have catch up.options for most channels

No idea TBH

There is a free mobile app in the play store

The Sky UHD feeds have changed slightly again. Showing HLG HDR on my TV. Not sure if thats an upgrade or not.

The golf looks really good regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

That's what they're supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

My stream, which had worked perfectly for 3 years using iptv smarters app on an LG tv has started to buffer every 30 seconds.

I lay the blame at the feet of everyone who posted fancy gear here this week. It's just like Instagram trying to sell me something i spoke about near my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Virgin. Its a really old connection so it could be that.

It seems to be working on the laptop though.

I've restarted the router.

Reluctant to reset IPTV smarters cause I'll lose all my series in favourites. Will just have to take a photo of them though.

A mix of not having the time during the week and hoping something would resolve itself is the reason I've left it a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

I think smarters has a backup/restore option under Settings. Haven't used myself though.

Advertisement