Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2024 - Primary Debates, News, Etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 60,425 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trump has made it normal to just bold face lie and keep lying and deny you are lying while you are lying.

Fox News and the Murdoch Media normalized the lying over the last decade or two or three or four by not challenging those lies and reporting those lies as fact.

Remember when their idea of the biggest lie in US history was "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

The internet is calling bullshit on Ron DeSantis and his septuagenarian abortion survivor story

Nevermind that, if her story is completely true, it was pre-Roe when abortions were an unregulated all but back alley affair.

The first time I can remember coming across Brian Kilmeade was when Jesse Ventura made Kilmeade walk off Fox & Friends, and ****, that must have been at least a decade ago, and in all that time, this is genuinely the first time I've ever seen Brian Kilmeade school anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's instructive that even Fox isn't pushing any "let's be friends" agenda; reality is, many states - red ones at that - are doing quite well from America's supply of arms to Ukraine. Apparently Lindsey Graham - yes that one - was in Ukraine noting American support. When the rubber hits the road, Ramaswamy will find his rhetoric gets little traction. The appetite simply doesn't exist for this attempt to make friends with Moscow.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

"The appetite simply doesn't exist for this attempt to make friends with Moscow."

Try telling that to the trump supporters

Spat began in 2009

Kilmeade has never struck me as someone with a strong spine for independent thought, usually his role is to tow the narrative line.

Re: Rich Men of North Richmond, the song they used to frame a political question at the debate? The singer came out and criticized its use, stating he wrote the song exactly about the type of people on the debate stage the other night

Hey remember this guy, from the Red Wave November thread?

He's still under indictment but to date has no intention of resigning. Seems kind of dithering to say yeah I can fight these charges and I am committed to 2024... but I'd totally take a plea deal and just resign and make this deep **** I'm in all go away 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Not the first time the GOP have had issues using songs didn't the Dropkick Murphys tell Scott Walker to get ta fúck a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭TokTik

I educate myself. I don’t take peoples word for things, I look them up myself. Consensus is not science. There a a lot of scientists getting cancelled for going against the “climate catastrophe” consensus.

The very basic of science is questioning things and theorising on different causes/outcomes. Why is the scientific community so censorious about questioning climate change?

Edit: This is off topic so we’ll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

They're not which is the thing, the reality is that the deniers aren't actually backed up by the science so fail to get through peer review. Peer review is basically the enemy of the outlandish claims of the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

And that'll work for a while as a protection mechanism but it creates a total impasse when it comes to solving disagreements in a non-violent way. The right wing American news channels who would love to see the back of Trump but are forced to get behind him because of desire for profit don't actually know what they're messing with, or probably more accurately don't care, all because they're so blinded by short-term financial gain. They think it's all a game. You can be pretty sure that each and every Fox anchor would absolutely p*ss their pants if caught up in the violence they are merrily helping to foment.

He really knows just what to say to turn off moderates and independents

“pretenders to the throne” re: the primary challengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

A politician lying! In my democracy?

It's more likely than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One should be able to distinguish between someone who lies sometimes about facts or figures for political purposes, or at least faces consequences for lying...

And someone who lies every, single, time they open their mouth, said lies to include fermenting violence or hatred against certain individuals.

TX supreme court upholds a spurious decision to strip Harris County of its elections administration.

It is the only county targeted, the most populous county in the state, and happens to vote blue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny how with these Republicans they talk so big about these "open and raw conversations" (to quote Ramaswamy himself) everyone is meant to have; yet the moment black people talk openly and raw about, oooooh I dunno, reparations owed to families of slavery, they suddenly scream at everyone to move on, critical race theory suddenly worse than Hitler etc.

It's almost like, perhaps just perhaps, these right wing types basically want carte blanche to be an àsshole without having to suffer the consequence of being talked back to.

Even more Vivek vs. Vivek Violence

Now he's changed his tune, saying he would have, in Mike Pence's shoes, told the Congress to pass a law, to give to Trump to sign, to start a do-over election on January 7. Wow.

For those who remember Joe the Plumber he is dead at 49 from pancreatic cancer.

that’s an early time to go RIP. Lots of carcinogens in the profession, everyone always wear your PPE even if you’re an ‘alpha male’

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Two things:

1) TX Supreme Court didn't uphold anything. It refused to uphold a reverse of an emergency injunction. Decisions on the merits have not yet reached the TX Supreme court.

2) I'm not sure why the SB was written to target Harris County only, but it's worth noting that it returns the duty of running elections to the same two positions which ran them prior to 2020: The county clerk and the tax assessor/collector, which are also elected positions from the same voters who happen to vote blue, so it's not as if someone in Greg Abbott's office will be calling the shots. As for cause, it's probably retaliation for perceived partisan problems. Of some 750 polling sites Harris County runs, 119 of them were undersupplied with ballots. Given that the split was about 50-50 republican and democrat-leaning, it meant that a a greater proportion or republican voters would have been at risk of not voting than democrat voters.

Interesting side-note in that second article: Republicans in Harris county were marginally more likely to vote in early voting than Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Do you think the Russians will try to rob another election? Or spread misinformation about the Presidents son's laptop?

Why would they not?

The Russians have every reason in the world to want another Trump term. Trump has promised them an immediate end to NATO support in Ukraine. Trump would gladly hand them Sevastopol and anything else they want that Congress will stomach him getting away with doing.

Weird Sleight of Hand TM as some users would say, to say the Russians "robbed" the election - the Intelligence Community confirms they gained access to some voting infrastructure, but concluded there was no actual manipulation of any votes. The IC also of course, to nobody's shock at this point, found that Russia used state-actor troll farms across social media to influence the 2016 election and 'Flood the Zone with **** TM' as Steve Bannon would say. You can read the bipartisan congressional report on the matter:

Statement from Chairman Burr:

“In 2016, the U.S. was unprepared at all levels of government for a concerted attack from a determined foreign adversary on our election infrastructure. Since then, we have learned much more about the nature of Russia’s cyber activities and better understand the real and urgent threat they pose. The Department of Homeland Security and state and local elections officials have dramatically changed how they approach election security, working together to bridge gaps in information sharing and shore up vulnerabilities. The progress they’ve made over the last three years is a testament to what we can accomplish when we give people the opportunity to be part of a solution.

“There is still much work that remains to be done, however. I am grateful to the many states that provided their points of view, which helped inform our recommendations. It is my hope that the Senate Intelligence Committee’s bipartisan report will provide the American people with valuable insight into the election security threats still facing our nation and the ways we can address them.”

Statement from Vice Chairman Warner:

“When the Russians attacked elections systems in 2016, neither the federal government nor the states were adequately prepared. Our bipartisan investigation identified multiple problems and information gaps that hindered our ability to effectively respond and defend against the Russian attack in 2016. Since then – and in large part as a result of the bipartisan work done on this issue in our Committee – the intelligence community, DHS, the FBI, and the states have taken steps to ensure that our elections are far more secure today than they were in 2016. But there’s still much more we can and must do to protect our elections. I hope the bipartisan findings and recommendations outlined in this report will underscore to the White House and all of our colleagues, regardless of political party, that this threat remains urgent, and we have a responsibility to defend our democracy against it.”

You can read, “Volume I: Russian Efforts Against Election Infrastructure” here.

Key Findings and Recommendations:

• The Russian government directed extensive activity against U.S. election infrastructure. The Committee found the activity directed at the state and local level began in at least 2014 and carried into at least 2017. The Committee has seen no evidence that any votes were changed or that any voting machines were manipulated.
    • Russian efforts exploited the seams between federal authorities and capabilities, and protection for the states. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are, by design, limited in domestic cybersecurity authorities. State election officials, who have primacy in running elections, were not sufficiently warned or prepared to handle an attack from a hostile nation-state actor.
    • DHS and FBI warnings to the states in the late summer and fall of 2016 did not provide enough information or go to the appropriate people. The Committee found that while the alerts were actionable, they provided no clear reason for states to take the threat more seriously than other warnings.
    • DHS has redoubled its efforts to build trust with the states and deploy resources to assist in securing elections. Since 2016, DHS has made great strides in learning how election procedures vary across states and how to best assist those states. The Committee determined DHS’s work to bolster states’ cybersecurity has likely been effective but believes more needs to be done to coordinate efforts.
    • Russian activities demand renewed attention to vulnerabilities in U.S. voting infrastructure. Cybersecurity for electoral infrastructure at the state and local level was sorely lacking in 2016. Despite increased focus over the last three years, some of these vulnerabilities, including aging voting equipment, remain. As states look to replace machines that are now out of date, they should purchase more secure voting machines. At a minimum, any machine purchased going forward should have a voter-verified paper trail.
    • Congress should evaluate the results of the $380 million in state election security grants allocated in 2018. States should be able to use grant funds provided under the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) to improve cybersecurity in a variety of ways, including hiring additional IT staff, updating software, and contracting vendors to provide cybersecurity services. When those funds are spent, Congress should evaluate the results and consider an additional appropriation to address remaining insecure voting machines and systems.
    • DHS and other federal government entities remain respectful of the limits of federal involvement in state election systems. America’s decentralized election system can be a strength against cybersecurity threats. However, the federal government and states should each be aware of their own cybersecurity limitations and know both how and when to obtain assistance. States should remain firmly in the lead on running elections, and the federal government should ensure they receive the necessary resources and information.
    • The United States must create effective deterrence. The United States should communicate to adversaries that it will view an attack on its election infrastructure as a hostile act and respond accordingly. The U.S. government should not limit its response to cyber activity; rather, it should create a menu of potential responses that will send a clear message and create significant costs for the perpetrator.

You think they, in collusion with DT, stole the election in 2016?

Have you read the Mueller Report or seen the Mueller hearings?

I am unconvinced that the Justice Department was ever dispatched to fully investigate the issue (Mueller wasn't even allowed to investigate obstruction of justice ie. make that calculation, vs. the president, or any crimes against the president, because his mandate was to stay away from that, because the OLC opinion states you cannot indict a sitting president (this might come up later when Republicans want a special counsel against Biden, so pay close attention)), and Mueller reported back a prolific and unprecedented campaign of obstruction of justice, so much so that a whole second volume of the report was produced, almost as a response to the first volume.

If he was even not in direct mens rea collusion, then he was their useless idiot, their kompromat, and either conclusions render him ineligible for office again.

If you haven't seen the Mueller hearings, hey that's most people, but I find this moment to be really the hearing's peak, personally, and I hope it serves as a worthwhile trailer to entice users to personally and critically think about the questions if they have doubts on how much corruption is happening in this circumstance:

This is why many indictments -- and convictions, in the federal justice system refer to Trump in them as unindicted coconspirator.

• Advertisement

What I haven't seen is a shred of evidence. A lot of hearsay and smoke and mirrors, like Jan 6th, but no evidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement