Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2024 - Primary Debates, News, Etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

The only thing that will stop trump getting the nomination is a major health issue or dropping dead from the stress of the indictments. Rupert Murdoch amongst others was trying to convince Glenn Youngkin to join the race, but I suspect he'll wait until Trump loses to Biden again, Trump finally gets sidelined by McConnell (if he's still alive), giving Youngkin a far easier run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I know it’s a while since Trump turned US politics inside out but I still found it shocking to see so many potential candidates stand up there and commit to supporting Trump for president even if he is convicted of trying to subvert a free and fair election.

This article shows just how deep the brain rot has set among Trump supporters and candidates know they will win **** all without keeping his base onside.

It's absolutely incredible the power he holds over the party. If Trump ran as an independent he'd likely finish ahead of GOP and finish second to the Democrats. Frightening control for one person to have.

By the numbers: Among those who are at least considering voting for Trump, 95% believe he "fights for people like me," while 99% believe things were better under Trump.

Among those who plan to vote for Trump, 71% feel that what he tells them is true — higher than the results for friends and family (63%), conservative media figures (56%) or religious leaders (42%).

The percentage of those who consider Trump a source of truth drops to 53% among all likely GOP primary voters, in a sign that some remain skeptical of his claims.

However, that's still higher than the 44% who trust religious leaders and 32% who trust medical scientists — and far higher than the 10% who trust President Biden.

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/21/trump-republican-2024-voters-poll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They're some bunch, disband the FBI and IRS and close down the dept. of education. Ron wants to invade Mexico and take on the cartels, that might not go down well when they start seeing US soldiers appearing on cartel beheading videos.

Vivek Ramaswamy dominated the debate. The fact that many other candidates lasered their focus on Ramaswamy shows how much of a threat they believe him to be, and they're right. He's the Republican equivalent of Barack Obama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Chris Christie got a bit of hype behind him because channels like CNN had him on a load of times and he was allowed to talk tough with little opposition. I suppose he's also acquired a reputation for being a hard man because there are a few clips of him arguing with ordinary voters. Once he got on a stage with actual political rivals, he deflated predictably. At best, he failed to live up to the bit of momentum he seemed to have. If Trump had been on that stage, all Trump would have had to do would be to call him a 'fat loser' and it would have been over. Christie might have had a clever rebuttal planned for this predictable jab, but it would have been drowned out by the whooping from the audience, because that's where their voter base is right now and perhaps for a long time.

Trump missed a trick by not referring to the Republican debate as 'the kids' table'.

Chris Christie is a fraud.

Christie backed Trump to the very last moment until it became politically unpalatable to continue it any longer. He condemned Trump pre-2016, then supported Trump to the very last second, and is now back to being anti-Trump when it suits. Nobody has a clue what the man actually believes, and now he walks around with a halo on CNN and elsewhere, much like Michael Cohen, acting as if they're the second coming of Christ.

Both men are in it for themselves, and anyone who believes that Christie is suddenly a Democrat with a red tie is fooling themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I would disagree. Obama was a knowledgeable and convincing debater on almost all matters, including foreign policy, even if he was a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Ramaswamy sounded like a friend who’d left school at 14 at a session house at 7am explaining how he’d fix the world in between snorting lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In Dublin zoo an orangutan regularly put food up his rear before eating it. When somebody questioned the keeper he was told this story

One day the orangutan was fed a rather large piece of food. The animal ate it whole and the result was constipation as he struggled to pass it some hours later. Ever since then he was checking to see would it fit out before it would go in, meaning the animal learnt from his mistake. This animal is clearly very smart

By contrast, Americans might be giving Trump a second term

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He's the Republican equivalent of Barack Obama

that’s an incredibly racist thing to say apparently, even though he plagiarized some of Obamas 2004 DNC speech; yes MTG was in the spin room saying this equivocation of Vivek and Obama is racist

CHRISTIE: I’ve had enough. I’ve had enough already tonight of a guy who sounds like ChatGPT standing up here. And the last person in one of these debates, Bret, who stood in the middle of the stage and said, “What’s a skinny guy with an odd last name doing up here?” was Barack Obama. And I’m afraid we are dealing with the same type of amateur standing on the stage tonight.RAMASWAMY: Give me a hug! Give me a hug just like you did Obama.CHRISTIE: The same type of amateur.RAMASWAMY: And you’ll help elect me just like you did Obama too. Give me that bear hug [inaudible].

From 2004:

• Advertisement

Both individuals are highly charismatic and intelligent and can think on the spot in a debate; that's where the comparison matters.

Uh, no, nearly everything Vivek said last night was a prepared stump or a series of slogans. Nothing he said about defunding Israel, denying climate change or giving Crimea to Putin was charismatic.

Do you have any specific praise of him or just this generic chatGPT “he’s a breath of fresh air and sounds just like Obama because he plagiarizes him” crap

I don't need to agree with every policy that a politician says.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,134 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Amazing how much republicans hate Obama but keep flattering him with imitation. Vivek got up on stage and plagiarized Obama and made a mockery of Trumps body language and demeanor. He has nothing but to copy what has come before and hope the voters want it unfaithfully repackaged. Really reminded me of Scaramucci with his body language mirroring trumps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ramaswamy is this season's Marco Rubio: young, supposedly charismatic but will fold the moment things get even remotely awkward. And given the direction the republicans have gone, into a deeper & hardline Christian Conservative direction, there's little to no chance he'll get the nod.

And his policies are just the worst kind of garbage pandering for the hard of thinking.

Ron had to see what everyone else was doing first. Leadership!

For much the same moment, Christie failed the leadership test, and cracked and rose his hand up, despite all the things he’s said of Trump. He quickly tried to recover the moment with a finger wag but FTR the only candidate on stage with this spine and character was Asa Hutchinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

How did your device not self destruct writing that drivel?

100%

Candidates on the right hand side of the stage were all fairly rapid in raising their hands, then you see slowpoke Ron slap bang in the middle trying to see what everyone else was doing.

Christie was a total melt. It was almost the following morning when he put his hand up. I've seen people buying the whole finger wag thing because he said we need to "We need to stop normalising this behaviour" but he 100% cracked and went to put his hand up. He recovered it will in fairness but he definitely cracked.

• Advertisement

He absolutely cracked and he doesn’t have the stones to win. He dithers about a trump pardon too and won’t commit categorically either way. Vivek too raised his hand which doesn’t set him apart or put him in the Trump 2016 bucket either (who didn’t raise his hand and insisted he would win), it just makes it seem as though Vivek knows this is the the Vice Presidential Primary.

Not George Soros, no.

Ramaswamy defended himself last month for accepting a $90,000 award from the Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans, which was founded by Daisy and Paul Soros, the late older brother of liberal billionaire financier George Soros. 

There's nothing wrong about earning an academic scholarship, certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

NUH uh Overheal it wasn’t Soros, it was Soros

what a gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Well there is if he claims it was because he couldn't afford to pay for it while being worth two million.... Do you just ignore the statements he himself made?

"There was a separate scholarship that I won at the age of 24-25, when I was going to law school in my mid-20s, in my early 20s, when I didn't have the money and it was a merit scholarship that hundreds of kids win, that was partially funded, not by George Soros, but by Paul Soros a relative, his brother,"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

The whole point of these awards is to fund someone’s education who wouldn’t be able to afford it otherwise.

So essentially he robbed someone else of the chance to avail of that money just so he could pocket the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It doesn't actually violate any of the criteria for the scholarship. Ethically you'd have to be a bit of a dick to apply for it though when he really didn't need it. And once again, it would be the kind of thing that rapid would apply a double standard to if a democrat did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I genuinely do not understand why anybody would enter a political race and then publicly support one of the other candidates?

Like what the **** is the point of entering if you are going to do that?

Even for a party of racists and rapists that is just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s the recognition that there is a significant enough group that are Trump voters more than republican.

They will pander to him to try and get his voters onside when he’s no longer in the picture.

• Advertisement

"Not a single person instinctively raised their hand to that question." "If they cannot establish they have a plan for this: they don't."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement