Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish White Privilege......Yeah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

advocating “ not being a dick” isn’t what’s going on here re_ “ white privilege” and SPHE

not being a dick doesn’t require ideological instruction

No, they're not.

Secularism left in its wake a vacuum, and that vacuum has very much been filled by the same malignant faith-based system of subscribe or be cast out as a sinful heretic. And I say that as an atheist myself.

It's absolutely consistent. Throwing around dismissals, as you have just done, is nothing more than an empty cathartic slogan.

It’s also aping the church of old by attempting to “ get em young “ by inserting this stuff into the educational curriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are atheists who reject god because they have carefully assessed the evidence based on the arguments supplied by theists

And there are atheists who reject god because they reject the authority associated with the prevailing god.

The latter conflate religion with the old order, so are always looking for the 'new' religion to support or oppose

The former have interrogated the ideas of religions and critically assess each idea on a case by case basis

I am an atheist because I take all arguments no matter how far fetched, and assess them.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭thegame983

When your arguments hold no water you must indoctrinate the children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lucky you.

Not everyone gets it easy or been brain washed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Augme

Pretty much every settled irish white person gets it easier than a traveller does in the vast majority of common every day situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going by headstones, cars and houses lot of them have they sure had better life than many living here. Better luck to them if they can get it. I can only dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭growleaves

I disagree.

Disparaging commentary about 'white males' is ubiquitous throughout culture, including on boards itself.

It’s common knowledge the entire Law and Order franchise replaces black criminals taken from the real cases stripped from headlines with white characters for the shows.

If liberal political and cultural discourse really were free of hostility, blame, recriminations and inducements of guilt then you might have a chance of being believed.

It isn't, so you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭growleaves

@Akrasia

Also 'we' (you and I) do not set up the global economy to funnel money away from developing countries.

Financial colonisation mainly benefits elite billionaires and the political class - as does cheap labour from mass migration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is the kind of toxic sludge you get when you accept such concepts

There's you "inclusion", there's your "kinder society"

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Travellers don’t have to work, pay a mortgage , acquire a basic level of education, tax or insure cars , pay income tax , dispose of rubbish, look after their pets to any minimal standard, the list goes on

travellers live cradle to grave being carried by the tax payer

yet some people have the audacity to class them as victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

And have every orifice of power in the state willing to excuse their actions on the grounds of oppression. I can't say I know many settled people with such privilege.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

While there is plenty of awful stuff ‘tolerated’ within and on behalf of the traveller community,might be worth noting that settled Irish people do have the ‘privilege ‘ of a much longer life expectancy, by about 15 years for men and about 10 for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think some people are (deliberately!) confusing a deliberate choice of lifestyle and behaviour as some sort of oppression - although we can partly thank Enda Kenny for that one!

Even where these alleged victims are given the same opportunities as the rest of us, they mostly either reject it or abuse it and make others around them suffer in the process.

The only ones who can change that are Travellers themselves by making different choices, and by refusing to tolerate such behaviours within their own communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's on Travellers themselves by virtue of the life they choose to live and decisions they choose to make.

That's a conscious choice due a "way of life" that they themselves consider their own privilege to enjoy.

Your point doesn't have any merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Augme

Your post sums up your settled privilege perfeclty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i cant even tell if that is satire or not, what a time.....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Who would have thought that the traveller lifestyle wasn’t conducive to longevity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A Nigerian woman with French citizenship claimed an Irish homeless man has white privilege. The woman living in Dublin spoke with the Independent.ie and on the PatKenny show on NewTalk radio, both within the same day, about how she worries about her safety in Dublin as aggression now seems normalised going on to express how ”recent encounters" have left her "shaken”, fears "ending up in hospital" due to her skin colour. She has no evidence to back up that claim. She's not at any more risk than anyone else because of her ethnicity. Many women were or still are afraid to walk the streets of the city centre as a result of the number of anti-social behaviours, assaults and robberies taking place but this applies to men and women regardless of skin colour.

In that same NT interview, she went on to speak about how she was the victim of “white privilege” during an interaction with a homeless man who asked her for spare change. She refused to give him money (which was her right) but in response, she alleged the homeless man told her she should leave the country. This is the same interview she began by telling us of a time she was once in a cinema when kids were throwing popcorn at her, explaining how they touched her hair or her identity as she put it. Of this went unchallenged by Pat Kenny and will be lapped up by the less intelligent yes but the woman framing the incident as ‘white privilege’ on national radio seems calculated.

An African woman who has been afforded maximum privilege by being given a national platform to make unsubstantiated claims, someone who has been handed a series of opportunities based on her colour, DEI, race quotas or not. 

A Google search shows me:

• Current Affairs Radio 1 Intern on RTE’s Liveline for 2022 
    • Accepted into the 2023 John Schofield Trust Early Career and Apprentice Mentoring scheme. She’ll be mentored by Lisa McNally, Ireland Producer at Sky News.

Her bio ... “Sylvia has developed a keen interest in human rights, social issues and humanitarian actions;” 

Do you see now?

Most people don’t get to hop on the victim industry hustler train, she is indeed privileged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

There's a lot of this.

A Brazilian woman searches for space to offer yoga classes to minority women right? So she chose to leave Brazil with 56% (120million) of people are Afro-Brazilian, the largest Black population in the Americas, to come to a country that is majority white

• “My dream is going to a room that will be only Black and ethnic minorities, and we don’t need to be worried about, ‘Oh, is someone doing handstands?’”

It doesn't surprise me that after working with NGOs, she got involved in diversity & inclusion racket and activism, and graduated with a degree in Social Science...They never recognize the reality that they're in the land of a long-established ancient people. Everywhere is just another place to toss their tantrums about, she’s even been platformed in the Business Post Magazine “asking” “is the Irish health system biased against women from ethnic minority backgrounds?” The arrogance of the elite-backed interloper. Can you imagine an Irish woman seeking white-only spaces saying ”my dream is going to a room that will be only white and European”… people like this want to discriminate based on race, color and gender. the one no doubt she see's as having "white privilege"

The fundamental problem with introducing concepts such as white privilege into society is that it increases racial tensions.

For example, it encourages people to first assess a person on the basis of their skin colour. Not their character or personality, but their skin colour over which they have no control.

Let's say a black person was treated unfairly in a situation. They may then attribute that rudeness to folk with "white privilege" even if race had nothing to do with it. The same rude person may be rude to everyone, irrespective of skin colour.

So yes, it exacerbates racial tensions even when it hides behind unity as the reason to promote it. It achieves the exact opposite of what it sets out to achieve. So whilst the intentions may be good, the results are bad. Just take a look at the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Just take a look at the United States.

I’m looking, and racial tensions were rife there long before the concept of privilege as it’s understood in academia was ever applied. A minority of white people determined the laws that applied to people of other ethnic backgrounds. It was because of the racial discrimination which existed that the concept of privilege came about, precisely because the people who developed the idea we’re looking at the way society was structured in ways that benefited some, and caused difficulty for others based on their characteristics, like skin colour as an example.

It doesn’t encourage people to examine skin colour or any other characteristics, it encourages people to judge a situation more judiciously, and identify ways in which they benefit from social structures that may cause difficulties for others, and develop ways to address those issues in order to to reduce the difficulties which may be encountered by other people. It’s basically encouraging people to be more aware of the needs of others. That’s all there is to it. There are other ways and means of achieving the same goals, and the concept of privilege is just one of them.

Concepts like social justice and social awareness have been on the SPHE curriculum a long time now, and they are taught in many other ways through different means in Irish schools already. That is to say the inclusion of teachers teaching and students learning about the concept of privilege is not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

My point has merit IMO because a vastly superior quality of life and life expectancy exists for the vast majority of white Irish settled compared to Travellers without any specific action on our part. some posters were claiming travellers had an advantage due to selective policing and social apologists etc . The fact remains that the average white Irish settled person will realise enormous advantages compared to Travellers on big ticket items such as life expectancy and quality of life and no amount of free dole/wife beating or Range Rovers bought for cash makes up for that IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Travellers outcomes are as a result of travellers choices.

This week we have seen a traveller state that she is the first of her group / wider family to do the LC and continue in education.

Fair play to her.

But her community are at fault, if they are only doing in 2023, what everybody else has been doing since the 1970s.

The schools are open, there are endless supports and grants, and yet they refuse to attend.

I am friendly with an EWO, he is not busy in work, but he tells me that the EWO in Longford is killed out with work, as there are so many travellers there who don't attend school.

What is unbelievable is blaming society for the outcomes of their own choices!!

Post edited by Geuze on

Advertisement