Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis to be legalised 😁!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Having access to properly labelled drugs, outlining strength and effects is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Again, teenagers shouldn't be going near any weed. It's extremely dangerous. Like drinking 40% alcohol would be dangerous for them, weed can cause extreme long term damage.

Answer the question. Where do you draw the line on banning stuff as it’s harmful? Alcohol? Banned. Tobacco? Banned. Sugar? Caffeine?

The same as with alcohol and look at the health issues we see with that.

Already answered. The horse has bolted on many and we see the results, why do you want to add more to them? For selfish reasons?

• Advertisement

Did you see my post about my two friends? That wasn’t the weed that messed up their lives, it was the law.

So no, not selfish grounds.

Right now the only weed available to teenagers is strong weed. I don’t agree with it, I don’t like it, but it is what it is.

Opponents of legalisation like yourself always cry about the effects legislation would have on the mental health of teens, even though it is inconclusive at best. You never, ever offer how to stop these kids getting it now. While it is is illegal.

I didn't see your post but that is a selfish reason, you realise that right?

Like I asked earlier, legalising weed could increase the use amongst teens, we can't be 100% sure but are you willing to gamble with the health of teenagers?

Personally, I think legalising weed will further glamorise it, the same as alcohol is now. And the use of alcohol amongst teens is a massive issue. Weed use will increase amongst teens in my opinion but also with adults. And that will have negative results health wise also.

Teens are drinking less now than ever before. Same for cigarettes

Here’s my post. Read it and tell me how I’m being selfish wanting teens lives not to be destroyed by the law against cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Most big cities in the states the same. I saw a lot of chilled out people causing no harm to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Fair enough, as I said I don't agree but I can see the sense in your position. I don't want to add to any damage, I have a few reasons for thinking legalisation is the right move:

1) I'm not convinced that harm would increase in any meaningful way, given that cannabis is one of the lower-risk drugs overall. I would assume (although I could be wrong on this) this the harm would be even lower for people who consume cannabis in ways other than smoking. The cost of any harm caused could be covered by taxation on the product. We do this for alcohol, tobacco, and sugar, there's no reason not to apply the same here.

2) I don't think it's logical to ban cannabis while alcohol and tobacco remain legal. If the interest is public health at the cost of all else, then all of these substances should be banned. I've noticed you comment on some posters that people only want to see it legalised for selfish reasons - but what's wrong with that? It could be argued that people want a lot of things for selfish reasons. It's okay to be selfish sometimes.

3) Most importantly, I don't think making it illegal works. You can smell people smoking the stuff on a daily basis. Anyone in the country could get themselves some cannabis in a matter of hours if they wanted to. People are going to take it whether it's legal or not. From a societal perspective, better to have it controlled and taxed than funding criminals - and yes, I know legalising it won't completely get rid of criminal sales, but that's true of literally any product on the market. Let's not make perfect the enemy of good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Get Real

I'm all for legalising weed. Don't touch it myself but I view it the same as alcohol.

In saying that, legalisation isn't some golden problem solver. The routes it takes to get into the country, it's still coming in along with coke, heroin, benzos.

So it won't solve organised crime or violence imo. Those fellas will still be importing all the other stuff anyway. Imagine a pallet truck of various goods. It'll merely mean they don't make income off that particular good.

Also, it still doesn't stop teens accessing it same as they do now. There'll still be a grey market. There'll still be someone willing to make a few quid, buy it legitimately and sell it to young lads or have it moved by teenage lads on e-bikes same as now.

Look at Oxy in the states when it was being given out no bother in the 90s. Just because it was legal and easily accessible doesn't mean it solves teens accessing it, abuse, or solves the societal and psychological problems it can bring.

I'm in no way comparing weed to an opioid harm wise. Merely the same kind of human behaviour and market conditions.

So legalise it and accept there'll be adverse consequences to it. At least it's somewhat regulated and taking money off scroungers and dealers, but I think they'll just diversify into something else. If they haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Eh no potheads will not switch to weak legal stuff

They already have a high THC tolerance and need it strong

Anyway don't think u know anything pointless debating

So you are willing to risk teens and adults health on the off chance?

It's selfish because you don't like that your friends had issues and you feel bad. You're not thinking of the damage legalising could do for people you don't know.

Also, no one forced them to buy weed.

So, f*ck the odd teens who’s lives have been ruined by ridiculous sentencing? How very… unselfish of you.

You have no points other than a hysterical “Won’t someone think of the children” point and when asked, you have absolutely no idea how to stop teens NOW, while it is illegal from smoking weed.

I think doing nothing and carrying on ruining lives is far far worse than legislation and regulation.

1. Studies have told us different, especially with young people. And that could be into their 20's.

2. Well people should just admit to that instead of hiding behind other things. Say they want it legalised because they want free reign to smoke and grow it themselves. But this want is putting others at risk, no point denying that.

3. Legalising it could increase the use of it. You don't know that. Again, adding to the already huge issues alcohol and cigarettes cause.

But they would be sentenced if weed was legalised anyway wouldn't they? Remember your over 21 suggestion? So we can wipe that one off.

I have no idea on how to stop teens smoking weed now but legalising it will make it more available for teens, like alcohol now. Again, are you willing to gamble with teens health on the off chance it won't?

You should read the thread from the start. I’m not going to spoon feed you what I’ve already said and where I stand on legalisation.

I absolutely am willing to gamble. Because I have seen first hand the damage that is caused by the present situation, one which you want to just ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

But they would be sentenced if weed was legalised anyway wouldn't they? Remember your over 21 suggestion?

Would they?

Are kids caught with a few cans charged and sentenced?

Can't say I've ever heard of any

No. What happens with teens who are caught with weed if it's legalised? A slap on the wrist and away they go doing serious damage to themselves and whoever they share it with?

But that's what I said at the start, people like you want it legalised for selfish reasons. You don't care how much damage it could cost. Some of us do care.

1. I don't think anyone is suggesting making it freely available to young people. We restrict a lot of things by age - drinking, smoking, driving, voting. Maybe the legal age for cannabis would need to be set higher than alcohol, depending on what the evidence is. That's grand.
    2. It's not necessarily that people are hiding behind other things, they might genuinely believe those things while also wanting it legalised for selfish reasons. How is it putting others at risk? The drug is already available widely, and as you said yourself to another poster, no one is making people take it.
    3. It could increase the use, but it would also introduce a level of control over the strength and quality of what's being sold. It's like the comparison someone else made between legally bought alcohol and poitin some lad made at home. Neither are great for you, but I know which I would rather take my chances with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TagoMago

I'm clearly not saying it's fine, I'm saying it's potentially less harmful than black market weed, in the same way that cans of Bavaria or Smirnoff are potentially less harmful than poitin.

Cannabis, like alcohol, is bad for developing brains, but good luck trying to stop them from acquiring and consuming it. Would it not be better to reduce the harm?

Like I just asked, are they just given a slap on the wrist then? As you point out, kids with drink might just have it confiscated. They're free to go back and do more damage to themselves. Weed probably has more serious health risks for children, you want the same situation?

I call it pot but in an ironic way , but obviously people don’t know that and assume I’m from the 60s

Hold on now, "doing serious damage to themselves and everyone they share it with"? you're acting as if every single teenager who smokes is doing irreversible damage to themselves. There's absolutely no evidence to back that up. I thought you were engaging in good faith but this is approaching reefer madness levels of fearmongering.

You keep coming back to the "selfish" thing. It could be argued your reasons (or those of anyone else wanting to keep it illegal) are selfish as well. You don't like something, so feck anyone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yeah

I don't believe anyone should have their future prospects harmed for simple possession of weed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

I probably would be against the legalisation of it except in certain circumstances. I don't think I'd like it to be as readily available as alcohol. I mean obviously I'd pick it over alcohol because I think alcohol is way worse but like some poster said, the horse has bolted on that front as well as cigarettes. Though I would probably be in favour of banning the sale of cigarettes entirely for say anyone born after 2015.

As a country we've failed utterly when it comes to pretty much any of the legal vices. Alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, our phones, internet.

Based on our performance to date I would have to assume that we'd go mad with this vice too and I haven't met anyone who over does weed who I think is better off because of it.

As a survivor of multiple job interview medicals I can say you can pass a medical after refraining for 8 days if you take it seriously

otherwise you’re looking at a month

1. Drinking is widespread amongst teens despite being illegal.

2. Legalising weed could increase its usage! It's a gamble mostly those who want this for selfish reasons are willing to take.

3. If we look at the Netherlands, we can see that some strong strains will be available. This is not harmless for everyone like some like to paint.

Back to the same point. What if legalising leads to an increase in usage? Further causing health issues. It's not worth the risk in my view.

• Advertisement

you clearly know nothing if your posting that crap

Advertisement