Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis to be legalised 😁!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Well how can you tell who will be affected negatively and who won't? This is not a harmless drug.

I'm being selfish in wanting it kept away from young adults because I've seen the damage it does. I wouldn't wish the mental issues encountered because of it on anyone. And yes, feck those who want to risk increasing those issues for others for their own selfish wants.

But you're ok in the chances of more people having their future prospects harmed by legalising weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

You are being hysterical in your points now. There is no proof of what you are saying.

Sticking your head in the sand and going “Waaaaah why won’t anyone think of the teenagers” while ignoring the teenagers who are already smoking strong weed as nothing else is available, or ignoring the teens with convictions which will absolutely do more irreparable harm to their future prospects than smoking weed, is doing you absolutely no favours at all.

You’re not taking on any points at all.

We acknowledge it’s dangerous. So is driving.

We acknowledge it’s harmful. So is alcohol and cigarettes.

The difference is we want to try and mitigate against this harm by introducing legislation, regulation, weaker strains, and increase the mental health services for those who need it.

But go on and just say we’re being selfish 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

People are gonna smoke weed whether it's legal or not. Some of my mates smoke weed, some don't. It's legality/illegality has nothing to do with their decision on whether to smoke it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I didn't say I could tell who will be harmed by it and who won't. I just think adults should be free to make the choice for ourselves. We know alcohol, fast food, and plenty of other things aren't good for us, but most people don't want them banned. I also never said it should be available to young people, and young people are already accessing it despite it being illegal - as has been pointed out several times already. You keep arguing against points that no one is actually making.

I want it kept away from young adults too. Realistically though, I know that will never happen. Educating people about the harms would be a much better use of resources.

Post edited by Doctor Jimbob on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Legalising it sends a message. That it's now ok to do this and with that you can expect to see a rise in its use in outdoor public areas. Stoners may not understand this, but the vast majority of people don't want that stinking shit in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

But when you talk about the harms people get defensive and try to contradict it.

On a previous thread I was posting articles from the Royal College of Psychiatrists about the harm of cannabis and another poster snapped and demanded to know if I was insinuating that cannabis should be banned.

Yeah some people are definitely unreasonable about that, I don't think the risks should be ignored by any means. The "it's just a plant" argument dives me up the wall.

I've answered all questions while you have ignored ones put to you. I could say that you're getting hysterical wanting to legalise weed and you've stated you're willing to risk others health for this want. That is selfish. There's no other way around it. You're just repeating stuff I've already dealt with and getting a bit personal so it's best that I put you on ignore. Good luck.

If people not liking how something smells is a reason to make something illegal we're going to need some serious Garda recruitment.

• Advertisement

But others are more likely to start if it's legalised. We're going round in circles here. You're willing to bet that more young adults won't use it after legalisation, I and others are not willing to take that risk.

Same thing, you and I don't know if weed usage will increase hugely post legalisation for everyone, including teens and young adults. We know that drink usage is a huge issue amongst all age groups. The chances that weed will be the same is very high in my view. I'm not willing to gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Gummies are great and a lot of the vapes don't smell of anything!

That's not the only case to be made and you know that. FFS.

In any way, I can't see legalisation happening here any time soon. The mental health aspects, especially with these newer strains, turn a lot of people against the idea.

What did I ignore?

But what are you proposing instead?

Teens are smoking NOW.

Teens are smoking god knows what in an unlicensed market NOW.

Teens are smoking stronger weed NOW.

I honestly think if you did care one jot what teens were smoking and about their mental health, you would have some sort of answer instead of shrugging your shoulders and saying, “I dunno”.

Regulation is key.

It will be decriminalised and regulated in our lifetimes. The EU will see to that. As more and more countries within the EU take a tolerable approach to cannabis, it’s inevitable.

Post edited by Flaneur OBrien on

I think you're right. The dangers are too high and there's not near enough people who support legalising this. If there was a referendum, showing the studies into the damage it does to young minds would ensure it would be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

I know a similar case ,person emigrated and working in a high end job in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ironically it’s the ability to regulate, identify and label these new stronger strains that will be part of the pro-regulation campaign, one would imagine.

No one should be ingesting anything without knowing what it contains. There is absolutely no way to control that in the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The point was that nobody, teens or adults are going after extra strong alcohol. there's a variety that's sold and no-one is secretly going to dealers because they need drink at 60,70 or 80%.

Should teens be smoking it? No. Will making it legal make it easier to get? No. At the moment there are plenty of dealers selling to teens. Most of the dealers are probably teens who are selling to classmates and aren't making much profit. It's probably easier for a 16 year old to get weed than it is to get alcohol. Legalising weed and removing the illicit trade will make it harder for them to get it.

• Advertisement

I don't think regulation is the catch all you think it will be though. People will still want higher strains and they'll want it cheaper than the going price in shops too. That means that the black market for this type of thing isn't going to be going away. "Coffee" shops, Amsterdam style might take up some of the business, but Jimmy the dealer isn't going to go straight because of that.

In any case, it's not like you can't get lower strains at the moment from dealers. I know several users and they won't touch the higher "blow your mind" stuff. They've tried it, but it was too much for them. They get the stuff they can handle now.

As for ingesting something "without knowing what it contains", well weed is probably a much safer option today than the blocks of hash resin that we bought in my day. You wouldn't have a clue what that crap was bulked out with.

Now, as for the likes of the marching powder or skag, christ knows what's mixed in with that stuff. But only gobshites indulge in that anyway.

The thing is that in the Netherlands there's not a thriving market for dealers selling cheaper weed. People go to the coffee shops. If weed is cheap and easily available, why would people go to a dealer? Now there is a "teenage market" they won't be able to walk into a shop and buy it. But there's not a market in dealers selling illegally imported cans to teens so I don't see why it would exist for weed.

And with the stronger stuff, yes there's people who smoke stronger stuff but like alcohol, I can't see there being a blackmarket for stronger weed.

Just wondering, does anyone know what the price for weed is in Ireland at the moment? It's been years since I bought.

Are you kidding? When I was in Amsterdam the dealers were all offering weed as well other stuff. As soon as we stepped out of Central Station we were offered weed from some lad on the street.

I agree with most of what you say. But I think regulation has a lot more to offer than the current state of black market illegality.

Some of that hash from the 90’s was awful stuff. I remember there was a phase where it was dipped in diesel to inflate the product. Yeuch. I still bought it and smoked it as it was that or nothing.

From a “selfish” perspective I want it regulated so there’s less chance of my daughter smoking crap like that when she gets older, and also lift the possibility of having a criminal conviction messing up her life for a mistake when she was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I haven’t bought any in the last 20 years but if you read any big bust article and extrapolate the weight/total price it works out about €500 per 28 grammes/1 oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Inflation!

That's crazily high I'd have thought. 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BagofWeed

Probably the worst trait in our culture here is the propensity of folk to get involved in other people's business. A nation beset by whingers, begrudgery and bitterness. It's a childish and infantile habit and smacks of a desperation to control other folk in what they wish to do/ how they wish to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I don't have anything to say. I just enjoyed this combination of thread and Username.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Registered medical users who are allowed import from the Netherlands pay €1000 per month for the privilege. That’s a crazy high price for something that costs about €30 to produce.

Advertisement