Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated and disappointing films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is the problem. People now 'imagine' what happened as they never lived during that period nor have they actually cracked open a book to research it.

Anyhow, it is a piece of entertainment, no more. It's better for a movie, esp for the US market, to have clear cut goodies and baddies to root for/hate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a small piece of evidence of how 'concentrated' movie making has become recently that if you pick the top ten highest grossing actors of all time (achieved by adding up the take of the movies those actors have starred in - rather than the salaries the actors themselves have earned) - that nine of those ten actors featured in the MCU movies. tom cruise is the only exception.

and if you allow cameos/non-starring roles - stan lee jumps to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think you'd have a hard time creating an interesting movie from De Valera.

When you go researching. For all the positive things he achieved are counter balanced by the negatives. His legacy hasn't aged well in the cold light of hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I had the misfortune to sit through Fear and loathing in Las Vegas,

• Advertisement

So many have cable cut that streaming and cinema is the only access many have. The choice is so narrow that the we are losing any wider diversity. Also any appreciation for the cinemas back catalogue. Saw one piece where people didn't know who Clint Eastwood was.

I started collecting my favourite classics on Blu-ray. In my youth I used to watch old classic movies at the weekend. Going back to the 1940 forties. You'd have seasons of all sorts of things. That kind of cultural experience and education is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I know what you mean, but as a Hunter S Thompson fan, I loved it while everyone else in the house thought it was absolute rubbish and gave out to me for sitting through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

You've reminded me to buy Gran Torino on Blu-Ray soon before it's no longer possible and gets cancelled from any streaming services.

I'd disagree with many opinions on this thread. But watching old classic with my family we've had quite the debate on many movies.

One issue I have with the kids, one especially is they don't have the patience and attention span to sit through movies. Without getting into the whole social media thing. I think it's losing a lot of cultural experience you learn from the best movies.

So I can appreciate some here don't like some very iconic movies. At least they've watched them.

Got good the bad etc recently and letters and flags.

• Advertisement

Also picked up the mission which someone mentioned but not rating. Which was a favourite of the OH.

But it's another historical and cultural movie. Like Collins. For all their flaws give a flavour of the subject, the history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

You are right but DeValera is often used by Irish people now as a kind of shorthand for Catholicism, traditionalism and Gaelic protectionism generally. He also 'overstayed his welcome' with the first generation of 1960s political liberals by hanging onto the Presidency until 1973.

Also Tim Pat Coogan's strong dislike of DeValera may have influenced some people.

So maybe people were open to seeing DeValera as move-villain bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind

Tinker Tailor soldier spy

Fury

12 years a slave

The Social Network

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

I agree for the most part. I think if you want to use the Oscars as a guide for quality films then it's much safer to go to those who won, or were nominated for the best screenplay awards. Not absolutely guaranteed, but a much better indicator than the best film award.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Forest Gump

Castaway

Helen of Troy

Edward Scissorshands

Charlie Wonka and the chocolate factory

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

I'm going to take the question literally and pick overrated films, not bad films. These are films I've liked, some I even love. But I do think they they get a little bit more awe and respect than they deserve.

Lord of the Rings trilogy - look, I love them. But they have their flaws. The CGI, albeit brilliant in places, really lacks in others, such as some obvious green screens, Legolas' "stunts" and the warg attack to name just a few.. Plus the changes to the source material showed that the writers didn't hold the books in quite the esteem that they pretend - eg, having Arwen at Helm's Deep, changed only because of fan outcry - you can still see two Legolas's descending the ramp, because one was originally Arwen and they CGI'd her out.

The Princess Bride - absolutely fantastic first half. Up to the point that Buttercup and Westley are separated after exiting the Fire Swamp, I'd not change a thing. After that, there are some good moments, but it's mostly forgettable, and (heresy!!!) I didn't like the Billy Crystal and Carol Kane section at all. It fell very flat for me.

Citizen Kane - I appreciate it more than I love it. The Third Man was better.

The Shawshank Redemption - this is the big untouchable. But, it never really hit me in the feels like it seems to have hit others. Definitely a good film, worth seeing. But never one I'd be bothered worth raving about. King's best adaptation? Stand By Me - far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Inception, La La Land, Black Panther, Hamilton, Mad Max: Fury Road and Star Wars: The Last Jedi are some of the most overrated movies of recent times that I can remember off the top of my head. From the past 50 years The Exorcist would be top of the list, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Pulp fiction. To be honest never seen anything by tarantino that has held my attention

• Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭sniperman

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN,worst ive seen in a long time

Its a bit too easy to dimiss valid criticism of someone like DeValera as Hollywood invention. No smoke without fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not sure a 40yr old movie is "of recent times".

True.

I wasn't expecting so many great films to be trashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think it was pitched as a mainstream movie and it isn't. More of arty piece. I had no interest myself too dark. (Seem to say that a lot).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Midsommar

Wicker Man "inspired" nonsense where a Swedish cult spend 3 glacially moving hours trying everything they can to convince a bunch of idiotic non-characters that they are planning on killing them all.

If they had erected a giant 100ft electronic scoreboard in front of that big dinner table detailing their plans, you get the feeling they still wouldn't have gotten the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Asteroid City

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14230388/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Never have I seen (until I walked out) such a pretentious pile of steaming shıte in my life. I’d go so far as to say that anyone who actually enjoyed this or thought it was a “true work of art” would be a guaranteed pretentious c**t themselves. Dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Reported. The princess bride is sacrosanct (book is even better).

Advertisement