Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Parkside 20V 1000M2 robot mower review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Sami23

Grabbed one myself this morning also - some people were going 2 or 3 of them in their trollies so hopefully they work well for us.

Interested to hear of anything we can do to prolong the life of them by keeping water out also.

Would it be an option to put it into the garage in bad weather or even charge it in there altogether and just put it out to cut the lawn when you want ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

The principle of robot lawnmowers is continuous / frequent 'small but often' operation.

So they charge for an hour, work for an hour, etc over the course of say 10 or 12 (or more) hours a day. In that way they maintain the whole lawn by cutting the grass practically as soon as it grows (as opposed to traditional mowing where you take them out once every couple of weeks to cut a couple of weeks growth).

So keeping it in your garage for charging or for only taking it out when dry would not work very well (it would wreck your head having to bring it in and out multiple times a day).

An option could be to buy the Lidl garage, or build a small housing to keep it dry when parked.

I don't have a Lidl mower, and I did build a small housing, but I never really had any concerns for the rain, mine would be outdoors for 9 months of the year, in my 4th or 5th year now, and have always worked well regardless of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Sami23

Thanks for the reply an I will build a small cover for it from some galvanize I have left around the place.

I believe it uses a 2Ah battery that is used on many LIDL tools so wonder would putting say a 4Ah battery into it bring any benefits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thats an interesting question, would like to know too.

Assuming its compatible (size etc), my guess would be the robot would cut for twice as long, but then take twice as long to charge, so net same effect over the course of a day or a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭CR 7

My local Lidl had a few of the 4Ah 1000m2 versions for sale too for €349.99, probably left over from a previous time. I was in for 8:05 and there was an empty pallet and about 10 left of the €199.99 version. Everyone that I met coming out when I was going in had one in their trolley. I was tempted by the bigger one, but my lawn is less than 500m2 anyway so I couldn't really justify it, other than the fact that I just wanted it cos it was bigger and better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SéMayo

I picked one up as well. Though I'm a bit anxious after reading all the posts/problems here. Anyways about "preventative measures": My wife uses sellf adhesive clear vinyl for projects, so I've stuck a layer over the screen/screws and surrounding area. Might also take of the adjuster knob (thanks to those here who showed me how) and seal with silicone. I also bought the 'garage', so hopefully that helps too, but others on this thread built one and still had problems. Bottom line, McDanger, we can go two (guarantee) in case of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,344 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the blades aren’t exactly what I was expecting. How easy are replacements got ?

are they meant to be loose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭LMK

If its raining I put the mower into the garage - I have the 1000m2 model bought last year - no issues to date- it spent winter in the garage

my lawn is 500m2 so my schedule is 4 days a week cutting for 8 hours per day.

You can tell it to go out on its "off" days as well if needed.

In general I dictate it only cuts in dry weather - I'm home most of the time so its not any hassle to do that

My experience has been very positive

how do you start it. I’m starting it manual. Prsss ok, close the lid…… but then it goes back into standby ..

any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Just set mine up, all seems fine but when I manually try to start it I get a warning saying "Mower outside". I don't have any wires crossed and the base station is in the correct direction, where the robot has to return in a clockwise direction.

6.96kwp South facing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

for reference

6.96kwp South facing

I’m ready to return mine . The most I’ve got it to do is to come out about turn a few circles and then tell me it’s outside.

I don’t think the green loop cable should go under it. The at it needs to go around it.

just sitting in the same place saying mowing now

wheels aren’t turning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭LMK

Try swapping the wires on the base station terminals

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭missyfirefly

Such really great review, giving lots of direction and useful information. So much so, that I come to you looking for guidance, hope you can help.

Last year, we completely renovated our garden, we put our hearts and soul into it and we are delighted with the results. It now means we have a young garden, with young trees and shrubs, and no longer have a rectangular lawn.

I have been using a push petrol lawn mower, takes quite a while to cut it all, but have long preferred to go with a robot rather than a ride on. I've been mulling over getting a robot for a long number of months reading reviews, looking at prices, and when the Lidl deal came up, I couldn't resist.

I want to get it as close to right the first time as much as possible, so I've a bit of planning to do, and could do with a little bit of help…

In the image below you will see the new garden crudely laid out, complete with legend of the additions/changes to the garden not yet visible in google maps, plus the rough area/perimeter measurements from google maps, pic of path also included: I've purchased the PMRA 20-Li B2 model… and so Here's my questions:

1. We've a path running down the garden, to a circular seating area at the end of the garden. Whilst it is level with the lawn and the mower manual states that as long the path as it is level with the lawn it should be fine, however it is decorative pea gravel with a cobble lock stone border. Ideally we wouldn't need to run the perimeter wire around it, as, i mean, what a waste… but I also want to think about safety don’t want to be sending gravel flying Or whether it would just end up being a gravel trap for the mover to get stuck in? Anyone have an experience or thoughts on this?
    2. By placing the perimeter wire around this gravel path, there is a narrow (approx 3-4 meter wide) strip of lawn joining the lawn on left and right of the garden. Is this sufficient for the robot to navigate from one side of the garden to the other?
    3. We now have a lot of ‘obstacles’ in the garden. I know it has been mentioned that larger trees are fine for the mower to navigate but smaller/younger trees and shrubs should be protected with perimeter wire. These trees/shrubs have bark mulch at their base. We also have garden a few spike lights at the base of three of them. Blocking out all these many areas with perimeter wire again seems like a waste, there anything else that be used to block the mower? With robot vacuums for example magnetic strips work to block out no-go areas… Any way to create no go ‘islands’?
    4. I have two areas that I’ve ear marked for the docking station… I don’t have sockets adjacent to any part of the lawn so would need to sort them, but before that, which position would you recommend?
    5. Does the dock have to be on the lawn? Could the docking station be up on the patio next to the hours where I have power existing? (I have power in the shed, but only on the opposite end to the garden, at the house end) would that at work?
    6. The range of this mower is listed as 500m2, from my crude measurements my lawn is 470m2… realistically will it be capable of full coverage considering the new layout and presuming it cannot cross the gravel path?
    7. It states that this more can have zones configured, and have the one mower serve multiple zones. From your understanding, would it be possible to have 2 zones in my garden, one on each side of the path? How would the mower traverse Zones or from one side of the garden to the other?

So that’s everything for now, any and all assistance would be enormously appreciated!!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

The dock does have to be on the perimeter in line with the cable. I wouldn't isolate anything you have there, the mower will give your shrubs, lights etc a little nudge and continue to cut in another direction. just run a perimeter wire, single zone.

Regarding the gravel, remember the blade will always be 60-25mm above the gravel depending on how you set the cutting height. 8kg is not going to bog down and chew gravel.

Don't overthink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mac25

Make sure you have the cables going into the correct terminals on the charging station. The mower has to follow the cable all the way in which means the cable must run in the channel underneath the charging station. The mower must enter in a clockwise direction. There is a sticker showing you which terminal to connect the boundary cable coming from underneath the charging station. Do not cross the wires which can be tricky close to the terminals on the charging station. Do not leave a big cable loop of unused cable, always cut the cable to fit. You must get the green light on the charging station before you dock the mower that shows continuity is in place. If the mower starts following the boundary wire and acting erratically with mower outside messages, you likely have the base station setup in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mac25

To answer your questions

#1 The mower will not like driving over loose gravel. You could setup a little test with a short loop around a section of gravel to see how you get on. I would not be optimistic though and the last thing you want is the mower getting stuck regularly or the blades getting blunted on stone.

#2 The mower does not like narrow passages over an extended distance. You might get away with it, but it will be touch and go and the mower can get caught up there for a long time before it finds it's way out or follows the boundary back to recharge. There is a feature on the mower where you can setup zones and get the mower to follow the boundary a set number of meters for a percentage of the working time after recharging. I use this feature in my garden.

#3 the mower will bound off anything solid. Even a young tree can be solid at the base. It will not bounce off shrubs. You can create islands with the boundary wire or else build a wooden border for the mower to bounce off. Mulch border may present an obstacle the mower will get stuck on if it's not level with the lawn and the material is loose.

#4 Get a waterproof enclosure to put the power supply and plug in for the base station and an extension lead. This is what I did. Put the base station on the flattest piece of lawn with room either side of it and within reach of your extension lead.

Waterproof enclosure:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015R50C14?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Extension lead with a single socket:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KM5MHD2/ref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#5 I recommend the dock is on the lawn as you can hide the boundary cable on the lawn. You can put it on a patio, but would have the boundary cable running over the patio which would not look well. Don't try and run the cable in the joins between the slabs if there are 90 degree bends.

#6 It's better to oversize slightly, but the mower will work fine with 500 m2, you will just have to increase the working time inline with the recommendations in the manual.

#7 Yes, you can have multiple zones. The mower follows the boundary cable for a set distance and mows for whatever percentage of time you set within the working time setting. e.g. Zone 1 is 50M away along the boundary and you want it to mow there for 50% of the time. If your working time is set to 4 hours, the mower will work there for 2 hours.

Looking at your garden layout, you may want to just run the boundary around the larger lawn area and use the extra cable to create islands around the trees. You are always going to have to strim and cut areas where the mower can't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭missyfirefly

thank you so much for your detailed reply @mac25, much appreciated 🫶 will let you know how I get on🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭macraignil

Working with a different brand of robot mowers but with these the mower simply does not work if it has the wrong battery installed. Probably the way it is programmed to protect the circuit boards.

Seen one customer who did not buy the brand robot mower shelter who made a handy job of adapting a heavy duty plastic coal bunker to act as a rain shelter for their robot mower charging station.

Water getting into the inside of the robot mowers over time can lead to corrosion on the circuit boards and once circuit components get fried a repair of the Lidl machine may not be possible. If I had got one I'd be giving it a rest from mowing when the weather is very wet in order to get a bit more trouble free mowing time from it.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Getting welcome in German when I turn this on then it's looking for a pin. We never set one... possible return? Anyway..have tried a few obvious pins but still can't access any other screen. Can't even factory reset without it. Nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mcauleydjm

Do you ever see that outside loop message dissapear?

As @LMK mentioned you could try swapping the wires to see.

Another option if you have some spare boundary wire left over is to create a small easily managed test loop.

Disconnect your existing wiring at the charge station and use the spare boundary wire to create small temporary test area loop. Follow what @mac25 has mentioned for connections - be careful not to have overlap/ crossing in this loop. Then with the test loop connected and powered on, place the robot inside the loop and power it on. Check if the outside message is still present. If it is, swap the polarity of wires. If after doing this the outside message persists - perhaps your bot has a faulty loop sensor.

John

Did you try the 0000 one (home - home -home -home)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SéMayo

I'm after getting one. I was pleasantly surprised how easily I managed to set it up. Just saying, because I'm advising, Ted, not to give up yet. Work through a checklist of possible causes. Mine is on its first 'outing' as we speak and doing lovely. My only concern now is whether I've got the setup correct for return to station. I can't find the setting to 'return to station' during the cut. (I'd like to check how it performs this task now.) Anyone know?

While I'm on, can I say a huge thanks to the members who took the trouble to write detailed accounts. Much appreciated, and very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there certain mowers for rough ground with half an acer to cut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hi,

If you open the cover;

• 'Emergency stop' > press OK
    • Input pin
    • 'Continue working' > press the 'return' or 'back' button
    • It will display 'Standby'
    • Then press and hold 'Home' until you see the message to close cover or continue

It should head off in search of home after this and say 'Returning' on the display.

John

Hi Ted,

I assume the green light is on and steady on your charging station to begin with.

Have you tried just lifting the mower away from the base onto the lawn and trying to start it from there?

i.e. remove the complication of the charging station, reversing, turning etc out of the equation - see if the mower itself works ok. If it does then you can work on sorting the issue local to the charging station out.

John

• Advertisement

it’s working way now. Reversed the polarity and feed the loop Wire under the storage tray/robo home.

Need to play around with the loop Wire before I bury it. And have to play with the schedule as just manual starting it.

the trampoline is confusing it. And not sure if it’s made it home ok yet.

Advertisement