Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Parkside 20V 1000M2 robot mower review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 turbopablo

Has anyone extended the power cable with an extra length in middle with 2 pin male female connectors? Can see some options of such cables on amazon but connector size seems different. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sure but it will cost 10x the price of the Lidl version being discussed here. Look into Luba 2

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mac25

Just use an extension cable to the power supply and place in a waterproof box close to the base station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

Anyone find good replacement blades online? Grizzly tools has them but 3 blades for €10 + delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭missyfirefly

I want to get additional permiter wire, does any one know the gauge of the parkside wire? un-helpfully it is not listed in the spec…

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

I replaced mine with 100m 1.5mm from electrical shop for €30 & joined it with existing wire. (Max length 130m).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 turbopablo

Yes, that's an option too, thanks. Was just hoping for a neater solution

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

yep. The small blades are designed to be loose so that they can extend when spinning to cut the grass. But also so that they can fold in if they hit an object like a stone.
    They are a pretty clever design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gedven

Hi, i have bought these last year, 30pcs (i think it was Set C) -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005572122856.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.97.21ef1802pGXCpr

They were fine so far. Just double check the size before u buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭User567363

A tractor mower also costs over 2.5k plus it requires petrol, a driver, time and weather

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

a little update:

so there was no need to reverse polarity. The polarity is used to guide Robo home. He’s been going in reverse and not making it home. ( anti clockwise as opposed to clockwise ) Will need to put it back the way it was.

I need to move the boundary wire. It’s to close to the hedge. And he’s not picking it up. Instead it’s crashes straight into the hedge and keeps trying to drive forward , tearing up the ground. ( I thought he was meant to sense objects )

anyway, I’m getting closer to burying the wire. Are people actually burying it? I’d planned to just go around making a slit with a spade/ hoe and push the cable into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mcauleydjm

I just pegged min on top last year, handy to make adjustments initially.

After a while the wire gets covered and this year I cannot even see it except on areas where the is little grass.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

Problem resolved

Post edited by muppet_man on

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭randomguy

I got one of the mowers, but did not get hold of the garage before it sold out in my local shop (and everywhere else, I presume). Had a quick look on amazon, but the non-Parkside equivalent seems to be about €120.

Has anyone spotted a cheap alternative garage online or in eg Woodies that is the right size?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭randomguy

Please ignore - my mother went to her local Lidl - there was none in the middle aisle, but she asked them to have a good look, and they came back with the last one from the store room. Problem solved!

There are considerable advantages for a robot mower over a tractor for most people. Maintenance is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

I all ready have the 2.5k tractor mower looking for an easier way to cut about a half acer.Have the tractor mower good few yrs would get dam all for it if I sold,it probably would get another 3/4 yrs out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Walk976

hi have recently bought one . Unsure from manual is the total boundary length 200metres or is it area 200 sq metre

200m is the perimeter length. I went above this slightly by about 30m on the PMRDA model without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 demo147

For larger areas 1000m plus, I used two switches front half and back half, also I have both mowers and spare batteries I just change out the batteries on good days to keep the mower working also doesn't matter which batteries I use 2ap or 4 but 4 cuts for way longer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

I have a husqvarna 320 robot for the last 5 years that I use for the front and back lawns. I carry it between both and they have 2 separate stations and loops.

I have had a lot of issues, replacing the power supply units being the main one, so I have bought the Lidl PMRA 20 to use in the front.

Will I be able to use the existing cable and base station?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mac25

The Husqvarna base station will not be compatible with the Lidl mower. Just install the Lidl base station instead. The boundary wire will be compatible assuming it is approx 250M or less in length. You will have to cut off the Husqvarna plugs at the end, strip about 1CM at the ends where the Husqvarna plugs were installed and plug them into the Lidl base station.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

another update. I’ve pegged down the wire and have it all good

the problem is the robo leaves his house and turns to wrong side so he’s outside the mowing area. If I reverse the polarity he can’t find home as he goes tomato back of the house.

Does everyone’s return Holme clockwise ? Is there awaybof getting it to come back anti clockwise. I may just have to unpeg and move his house

Without secondary zones setup (different start points along the perimeter wire) - my PMRDA-20 usually reverses out, rotates about 60 degrees and travels into the lawn to cut.

A small percentage of the time it would reverse out, rotate about 240 degrees (possibly it was targeting more) clockwise and fall off the kerb - outside the area. Similar to what you are describing. I have a decent 2m straight run into the charging station too.

I found that having the default 1 start point resulted in a visible path or road-track up the lawn. I therefore setup a few secondary areas - none at the start point. It now reverses out, rotates clockwise 180 deg to face the direction of the wire and travels to its start point(s). This has helped with the track but it still randomly does the twirl at start and falls off the kerb - so I'm in the process of moving my charge station to an area with a solid hedge boundary - meaning it cannot fall off the kerb or go outside the area.

What does your bot do after reversing out - does he rotate excessively?

Have you a 1m+ straight wire run to the charge station?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

Just on that - do people run into trouble with the wire just pegged on top if you want to strim around the edges of the lawn where the Robo can't reach ?

Surely the strimmers would get caught or cut the boundary wire say under a fence or along kerbing ?

It can be an issue so you have to be careful. The wire is ~30cm out from the boundary so you can strim that amount before you get to the wire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

Ok thanks.

I haven't got a chance to get mine setup yet but looking forward to it.

This is interesting - is it a physical DPDT type switch you have? Did you install it near the charger base?

Just noticed you said 2x switches, probably SPDT. Have you these installed at a convenient point to branch off to one section or the other?

I've had 2 of the parkside mowers on my 1100m2 patch from time to time (I just lift one from a smaller lawn area and let it help cut the main lawn, if you time it correctly they both typically dont need the carger base at the same time).

I've been considering coming up with a scheme that allows the bot from the smaller lawn to automatically go into the larger lawn from time to time.

Post edited by mcauleydjm on

• Advertisement

I have two of these mowers: PMRA and PMRDA.
    The PMRDA suffered water ingress where moisture ended up on the display. The keypad was unresponsive.
    You can see the slight gap between the membrane and the plastic housing below where the rain got in.

Above left is the good PMRA main board. On the right is the PMRDA with water damage. You can see where the battery leaked and other damage done.

The PMRA failed for an interesting reason. It was reporting “hardware error”. Opening it up revealed a load of aluminium filings

It was like an aluminium motor gear got shredded somewhere. But all three motors and gearboxes manually turn fine. One thing I did spot was the right motor must have come loose from its plastic mount or gearbox and began to turn freely, causing its cable to wrap around itself.

Suspecting that the cable was damaged, I swapped the motor and cable from the PMRDA one and it powered up without the “hardware error”.

So it looks like a repair is needed on one of the motor cables on one of the mowers, and water damage on the other. I would be confident being able to repair the motor cable damage, but the water damage looks unfixable due to the main board corrosion.

I don’t have the receipt for either. These of you replaced the whole mowers, what information did you have to give?

or anyone know where to get a PMRDA main board replacement?

Post edited by SchrodingersCat on

Advertisement