Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which brand of plug sockets to buy.

Options
  • 20-07-2023 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

I need to replace a few double sockets, can anyone recommend a good brand, I am bamboozled by the choice on screwfix.RECI will be doing work but i cant contact him at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horseman34

Stay away from lap, I think mk do the job quite nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Going beyond screwfix for a moment, your local electrical wholesaler will have a good selection of brands and finishes and at better prices than Screwfix. They all typically stock Schneider, MK, Nexus, Deta... selection is almost endless. Common wholesalers are: Eurosales, Kellehers, EWL, Wesco... and they typically have display modules available.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

personally I like the MK Logic plus range.

Also available with USB A and USB C outlets on double sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MK all the way. The BG stuff in B&Q is total rubbish and only slightly cheaper. Had the switches on a double socket fail after only a couple of years, had a horrible stiff action even when new.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I would avoid USB sockets

Each to their own I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The thing I've never been able to find out about USB sockets is how much power they use when not in use. A small amount surely, but not nothing either.

Also the idea of having a wee bit of no-name Chinese electronics on a 32A MCB does not fill me with joy.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Aside from incorporating electronics into a socket outlet which I think is a bad idea

I haven't seen too many issues with cheap sockets

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They don’t consume any power when switched off using the switch on the socket outlet.

Which brands offer this @2011, I've yet to see any which allow the USB to be isolated by the physical switch?

MK

• Advertisement

ok thanks, must look at them. It wasnt an option on MK when i installed some 3 years back.

You are making me doubt myself now! I will test the isolation theory out when I get back home. I’m abroad at the moment. Will update you on this thread.

I'd hazard a guess they're separate

Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense switching off USB with appliance

You'd have people switching appliance back on to use the USB

I thought electronics these days could auto detect a load or cable even

They can Kirk, but you still have to power that circuitry, and that becomes the vampire load. 0.05W is what some units draw when in low-power mode.

@2011, MK do have a new range of sockets called the Connected Power series and they are specifically targeted at large commercial installations where monitoring and management at the socket is required and these do feature an internal isolation switch for the internal electronics for use during periodic testing. Efixx did a pres on them a couple of weeks ago:

But as for general USB sockets, I'm not sure that they have the isolation at-the-switch built-in.

And further on the off-topic topic of USB sockets... 😁

...some of the cheaper brands are really shyte.

I think i realized my mistake on auto detect as i was posting 😁

Interesting. Seems that the USB isn't isolated by the switches in this range, but I'm confused by this part:

I think that the text is talking about the modular USB charger (hotel type install jobbie) and not the integrated USB device within the socket... not sure. Can't see a way to isolate the USB part otherwise...

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

Could mean you disconnect the socket before testing

Don't know why anyone would bother with them

I’m not so sure, see this part:

On second thoughts this is just to prevent an open neutral on the LV outlets.

• Advertisement

I doubt any USB sockets will switch off USB at socket

Doesn't seem logical to me switching on/off appliance with usb. If it did they would already be manufactured that way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I haven't seen any that do that, have a few brand's, mostly BG and MK (MK are the better quality and an easier install, but haven't had any issues with BG yet, going on 4-5 years).

Everything bar the plugs I buy is MK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I’ve both MK and more designer ones by Legrand and both are excellent. I wouldn’t use cheap sockets. It’s just not worth it and for the white simple plastic ones, MK Logic is consistently good quality.

Cheap sockets don't give much trouble in normal use ime , no doubt mk is better quality

I'm not sold on the idea of electronics incorporated into sockets

Issues with testing them and then of course the ever changing charging technology. There's probably different opinions on them

A bit like cheap tyres. Simple devices but something you’re probably better off not skimping on..

I don’t see the point of incorporating USB chargers anyway. It doesn’t add much convenience.

Simple and solid!

Using high quality USB sockets such as MK reduces fire risk IMHO. There is no end of articles on the internet about fires caused by poor quality USB chargers. We don’t use plug in USB chargers in our home for that reason.

The link above illustrates the safety features built in to the high quality MK USB outlets.

I have noticed that most new homes have USB outlets fitted as standard I believe this is now the norm and homes / coffee shops / offices / airports etc. without these will soon be less common. There is always some resistance to change but eventually everyone gets onboard. Move with the times or get left behind.

Post edited by 2011 on

I just don't use poor quality USB chargers.

The other issue is that most of those sockets are USB-A which is rapidly becoming obsolete and replaced by USB-C

Speaking of which, I was shocked (pardon the pun) at the cost of some of those in France. I was upgrading a few around a holiday home. €59 for a USB-C + single socket with a decent bit of design from Legrand and over 60 quid for a double plate with no USB.

That yoke was almost €60 ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrJEHMgXHi8 (they've a flat plate that covers the recess until you push in a plug but even so .. pricy! I thought Irish prices were steep...)

EU fixed cable colours are completely ignored over there too, which is surprising. Still red (Live) + blue + green/yellow.

Post edited by RetroEncabulator on

I would argue it's a matter of choice on domestic sockets which I assume is what we are dicussing

Same safety principle applies to high quality separate chargers as high quality USB sockets

The separates can also easily upgrade with the new charging technologies

Basic USB outlets will be prevalent lots of places , commercial etc for obvious reasons

Doesn't mean theres a need to fit them on domestic work for high value items with separate chargers

They make sense in places like airports and cafes where people might be arriving with chargers from other countries with different pins. It certainly saves on adaptors.

Most USB C wall plates cannot provide full power for a laptop for example or even do rapid charging for a mobile, so it's still not that much use for a lot of devices.

If you consider say my MacBook Pro adaptor it can deliver: 4.7 amps at 20.5V, or 3amps at 15V, 9V or 5.2V.

An MK USB C Socket is limited to 5.2V at 3amps.

For example, if you want to get a quick charge boost for a phone, you're much better off plugging in an original Apple or Samsung charger etc, rather than using a 3rd party USB-C socket and USB A is way too slow.

One of the most sensible designs I've seen (despite all the moaning about Apple and proprietary connectors on the end of iPhones) is Apple's USB-C laptop charger.

It's a compact power USB-C brick, with a 'duck head' connector on the mains side. So you can snap on a UK/Ireland plug, a continental CEE 7 plug, a US NEMA plug, Aussi plug, Chinese plug etc etc or just push in any IEC 'figure of 8' power cord. Extremely handy when travelling and those heads fit all of their chargers.

• Advertisement

They pretty much can ignore the L and N wiring in sockets over there as the plugs are reversible anyway, so there is no polarisation in that respect.

Advertisement