Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,292 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Amanda not returning at all

I hope it isn't serious medically

It's seems herself and also Layton were are getting a lot of stick on social media

I hope we see Angela R do a fast dance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm very sorry to hear Amanda's not returning. She's a good dancer, and her and Giovanni were a really interesting partnership. It's a real shame to see Gio gone at this early stage.

Amanda has been the subject of a very nasty online campaign, so that may be part of it. Also, the rumours of friction between her and Gio - although they seemed to be managing that really well if that was really the case.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I imagine the whole Strictly experience is stressful, more than anyone could imagine.

I hope that she is okay. That is the main thing.

Nothing is more important than one's health, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

No way Eddie should have been eliminated over Zara. Her dance was very laboured (imo).

What happened to the dance off being judged on its own merits?

At least Eddie was having fun, and he was definiately much better of the two.

Not a great year, at all. No standouts really, and Layton being there (a professional dancer, and dance teacher!) is still a big issue for me - and for a lot of strictly fans, apparently.

Sorry to see Gio go, but not a fan of Amanda.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Amanda was definitely one of the best this year. Hope she's ok. Nothing on her instagram but lots of support on her last post.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've only just managed to catch up on last week's show, never mind this week's, so way behind but I couldn't avoid seeing spoilers for this week.

It was only a matter of time until Eddie left, he was never going to make it to the end really. It's amazing how some celebs hold on to their pro partners like they're a life-ring and do much better in hold - and yet he and some others just freeze in hold and absolutely blossom when dancing on their own!

I agree that Layton is making an absolute mockery of the show. I wonder how the other strong (but waaaaay weaker than Layton) celebs feel about trying to compete against that level of training? There have been ones with dance/stage training on before, but this is taking it to a whole new (ridiculous) level. The only criticism of him so far was a couple of weeks ago when they told him to rein it in and stop trying to outdance Nikita - ffs!!

I just couldn't warm to Amanda at all. I can't figure out why, because she was very good and clearly in it to win it. She's a loss to the series, even if she wasn't my cup of tea.

From last week's show, there were a couple of dances that were set to just frankly bonkers music - Amanda's foxtrot for one, that was such a mismatch between music and dance it made my head hurt.

There were another couple of examples that I can't remember now.... but mainly because all I can remember is Annabel's legs! My god, she looked amazing last week! She's much better than I was expecting - I thought she'd be all gangly and awkward given her height and that's kind of how she is when she's talking - but she's really giving it a go!

Angela Scanlon is another surprise, she's clearly very fit and giving it a great go - she's a good bet to go all the way unless she meets some dance that's her undoing along the way.

I'm not a fan of Angela Rippon, nor her style of dancing-while-gurning-and-leaning-forward - but my god I'm in awe of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Very interesting that Amanda thanked everyone bar the janitor in an Instagram post but didn’t mention Giovanni! That’s really bad form when he posted a lovely message about her. Gio is a brilliant dancer and a great teacher but I would say he is a hard task master and doesn’t take any excuses. I get the vibe off her that she didn’t like being told what to do and didn’t take criticism well. The celebs need to understand that this show is the professionals bread and butter and if they don’t get to a certain stage in the show, they don’t get to do the live shows and lose out on income.

That said, some of the abuse she got for her supposed anti trans views was vile and disgusting. From what I’ve seen reported, she didn’t say anything particularly bad but she got absolutely vilified. No one should have to put up with that level of abuse for merely stating an opinion.

She is getting slammed on that post for not mentioning Giovanni. Even if they did fall out, just make some empty thanks, otherwise it adds fuel to the fire.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I really like Layton. It's doubtful he'll win, but I imagine he'll get to the final. I can't see the judges picking anyone over him in a dance off. So that poses a real possibility of losing decent others earlier. But i do love watching himself and Nikita. Yes, i know its about the contestant and not the pro, but its nice to see what the pro can come up with and to watch them dance without holding back.

I read during the week that Angela Scanlon is a trained Irish dancer and went on tour dancing with a troop or something? And also Nigel has previous experience too?

I am enjoying this series though, there's not a contestant that I hope leaves or anyone I'm sick of.

I do wonder was Amanda leaving down to a fued and if so, will that have an impact on Gio coming back next year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Same here. I'm really enjoying seeing Layton in action and the fact that Nikita can throw the kitchen sink at him and they are both thoroughly enjoying themselves in the process.

Angela S danced to quite a high level in Irish dancing alright, I believe. I felt sorry for her the last night tbh, even though she can be a small bit irritating at times 😁. She and Carlos getting the same score as Zara and Graz didn't seem right to me. I - of course - am no expert whatsoever! They did have a fabulous dance the previous week and topped the leaderboard.

I'm really enjoying the series. To me, there's no nailed on winner at this point. Krishnan for the pure joy he brings to the floor - I love it. I also like Nigel and Ellie a lot. There's nobody I dislike or want to see leaving really. Angela R, I wish I had half of her flexibility now, never mind when facing eighty!

A bit of glitz and sparkle on a Saturday night, bring it on. 💃🕺

• Advertisement

I really like Krishnan too. And Ellie is amazing!

Angela S does seem to be getting some grief alright, but at the same time she does seem to be taking it all on board and not letting it get to her. They seem like a good crew this year.

I'm amused by Angela Scanlon's obvious reluctance to wear fake tan. She looks positively Victorian in her skin tone by comparison to the others.

Genealogy Forum Mod

She is right to stand her ground. Her skin tone is perfect with her red hair.

She definitely is eager to take everything on board. I like her partnership with Carlos.

He was lovely last year with Molly, they fought their way through so many dance offs! I think this year he can have more of a light hearted way with him that matches Angela's.

Someone like Krishnan is what it is all about, for me. The sheer joy on his face the last night at the end of the dance was fantastic to see.

I hear you about Krishnan. Every year I'm waiting for the next Darren Gough and he might be close. Though the faster dances he seems to struggle with. But he's giving it a fair crack!

Oh I've no problem with it - just interesting to compare.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That wig really suits Lauren. Much more than her own short hair. And are we going to mention Bobby's trousers?

Really enjoyed this week. I love watching Ellie, Krishnan, Bobby, and Layton dance.

Watching Krishnan improve each week is a joy. Lauren is an incredible dancer and a great teacher. Layton and Nikita are amazing to watch, and I hope he makes the final but doesn't actually win.

At this stage, I think Ellie would be the most deserving winner. Vito is a great addition to the pros, finally a bit of personality coming out after the loss of so many likeable characters like Aljaz and Oti.

I sincerely hope whatever has gone on with Amanda that Giovanni doesn't leave the show as some are suggesting may happen. He's just too good to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Giovanni must be so pixxed off, after last year as well. The show suffers when he’s not in it. I thought it was almost perverse giving him a male partner last year, backfired spectacularly.

Zara versus Adam in dance off. Zara out, unanimous decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Thank god Zara is finally gone. Graziano also annoys me so that's a double win for me!! Now everyone that is left are people I enjoy watching so going to be harder to see people voted off from now on.

Have a look at this - Dancing With The Stars tribute to Len Goodman. It's absolutely beautiful. Poor Bruno is in bits at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

That was just lovely. He seemed so well loved by all those who worked with him. Strictly has never been the same since he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

So just been thinking schedule wise, whether we're looking at the show finishing a week earlier than scheduled with them being a dancer short now that Amanda's gone?

From what I have read elsewhere, it will apparently mean a three couples final, rather than four.

It's often a 3 couple final anyway.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I loved Ellie and Vito's American Smooth. She's getting better every week, and Vito is definitely a great addition to the show. He brings the same upbeat fun as Aljaz used to, and he's a fantastic dancer. Still my favourites to win.

Krishnan brought the entertainment as always. Him and Adam definitely the weakest now, but I just love watching Krishnan so I hope he stays in a bit longer.

I usually hate the sob stories, but Annabel's situation is so recent and raw. Her dance was a beautiful tribute and she's very strong just to keep going every week.

Agreed. I think Ellie and Vito deserve to win, they have been so consistent, and give great performances week in, week out.

I was very moved by Annabel's story (and I'm not the most emotional person) but that was beautiful, and Johannes was and is the perfect partner for her.

Krishnan never fails to entertain me, and the way he talks about what Strictly has done for him, and just the sheer joy he brings, I really hope he stays as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I think Adam or Bobby will go this week.

• Advertisement

I haven't watched it yet, but the gossip on social media is they set Adam up to go next. After being in the bottom two last week, and having to miss some practices due to his rheumatoid arthritis, they gave him a rumba this week.

Strictly Spoiler is not out yet.

Advertisement