Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Certificate Waiting Times Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kinch10

Grant letter received 27 March. Just over 5 weeks waiting. Very happy 😊

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Nice!
    Now that it is there don't forget to fill out the survey from the first post:
    https://forms.gle/xpjPB1gfKu8evS9KA

Mini update:
    Currently Kildare is leading the pack with responses at 15.4% overall,
    Next is Dublin(13.8%) followed closely by
    Cork(12.3%) and
    Wicklow(10.8%) in 4th place.

With both Galway and Westmeath taking the 5th spot with 6.2% of the overall respondants.

Rather concerningly we are still looking at a high 33.8% of respondants whose paperwork has been lost.

I'll do a larger update when I have the time but in the meantime folks do please share the above survey far & wide, FB groups, other shooters who aren't on boards etc.
    It is anonymous, requires no logging in or registration, and is giving a very good grassroots view of the country's licencing processes and pitfalls to date.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭bemak

Just submitted one in Kerry. Start the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Clock started for a .22lr conversion kit since yesterday 18;00 hrs

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

What conversion kit, as looking at one myself?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement

Hohrein/Ceiner .22lr for a Mini14

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

FiFirearms Officer rang the daughter..

She never got her application from the local Station. Over 3 months now. FO told daughter she would email all 3 guards in local Station about the application.

Today ( 3 weeks later) Guard rings me, says he was off work.Says we used an obsolete form, not enough to list referee and Doc's details, must have a letter from each of them now.

Wants them in pronto. Give me his State mobile number. Not answering it....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s BS! The form is the official form. No need for a letter at all!

Yeah, suspected as much.

It's not enough for them to follow the rules, they have to invent hoops for you to jump through, in the hopes you'll give up.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Letter from doctor,what's that about and what would a doctor write in said letter

Did you keep a copy of the application form. All form have a date in the top right corner, stating the relevant update,

Dunno, I suppose they expect a Doctor to reveal if the applicants has serious mental issues.

It's another €50 tax.

I thought I'd saved a photo of the application to my phone, but don't have it now...

Sorted out letters from independent referee and Doctor, now they want a copy of the receipt I got when I bought the gun and got it into my name, a year+ ago...

Which has nothing to do with my daughter getting her own licence now. ( I'm not charging her for it).

FFS.......

What did the doctors letter say.Id say there's few doctors who'd write anything be that good or bad in respect to getting a gun.Id say they'd be fearful if anyone they wrote letter for did something stupid, their career and surgery could be ruined through no fault of their own

He just stated he "knows her for the last ten years and knows of no reason she should not be granted a licence"

Cheers,I've never been asked to get doctors to write anything for me so far so I wonder is this a new rule or your super is taking it upon themselves to do this.Has anyone else had this request I wonder

It's an absolute waste of time, as it takes at least 4 intense sessions for a head shrinker to get an idea of what's going on in there. Nor is a GP anymore qualified to judge mental illness as they are qualified to do brain surgery. Unless the person is sitting across from them dribbling onto their shoes and saying "Nurr I like bicycles" or the doc has been treating them for maybe chronic depression and hopefully not being giving them Lithium-based medications[The 80% common factor of all mass shootings in the USA since 1984]. So it would be a very foolish doctor to sign off on something of mental issues when they are not qualified or involved to do so.

They are giving Neckersulm the runaround for whatever reasons.

Application for Pistol sub lodged on Monday 1st April. Sig Sauer P226 to new Ruger Mk4 Target (Both 22Lr).

For phone call from FO on Wednesday to say he’s signed and passed it to the super.

Bad. Red is that my rifle sub which he signed off on 6th March is still sitting with Super to be processed.

FO is brilliant but bottle neck at the top it seams.

1000 rounds applied for on each (I got that on the Glock last month) so not expecting anything different here. What will be interesting is if the S from the Sig will transfer to the Ruger too 😀

• Advertisement

Only tangential to this group, I have an Authorisation to hold deactivated firearms as well as my FAC's. Last year took almost 4 months AFTER expiration to be renewed (and backdated to expiration), even though I made contact almost 2 months before expiration. This year contact was initiated 2 months before (requesting the name of the " Firearms Officer") First reply was yesterday, less than 1 month to go, and was a cursory, we passed on your request, by a Civil Servant Clerical Officer, not a Garda, and that my request had been forwarded to a named Sgt, but not telling me who to contact nor any pertinent info. Today 5 weeks after first contact, and having gone through District Office, I am still no further along and my authorisation expires in 3 weeks. Kinda looking forward to my 3 year FAC's expiring later this year.

They should just come out and state that they don't want members of the public owning guns.

Had to drive to the gun dealer for a copy of the receipt he give me a year ago, then drive 22 miles to the Station to give it in.

This is the receipt from back when I bought the gun myself, and nothing to do with my daughters own application for a licence.

The dealer claims he has 29 guns sitting with deposits taken, and lads are getting the run-around for months on end, licence wise.

Some over 6 months waiting, one or two took back their deposit and cancelled their application in resignation that they'll never get a licence, he claims.

The dealer claims he has 29 guns sitting with deposits taken, and lads are getting the run-around for months on end, licence wise.

Some over 6 months waiting, one or two took back their deposit and cancelled their application in resignation

I'm surprised dealers let their local Superintendents off with this carry-on of them being stuck with paid-for stock and yet AGS delays and dallies with granting authorisations for people to go and collect their goods. Imagine what sort of an outcry there would be if this was being applied to car sales.[Which have killed more people this year alone than legally owned guns have in Ireland in the last 40 years]. One gun dealer suggested and has tried to bring the Chief Commissioner to sort this out that the gun dealers with this backlog should bill the CC a euro per day for any time the gun is sitting in storage after the mandated 90 days.

He has researched it and the average time it takes for a gun to clear from purchase or deposit to going out the door is ….263 DAYS!!! This is one of the biggest dealers and importers in Ireland. Now multiply that by 29 in Neckersulm's dealer case @1euro per day by X amount of gun dealers left in Ireland with a vast stockpile of bought/deposited guns that have been even authorised but are sitting awaiting the paperwork. Needless to say, he has had zero response from AGS and DOJ to having a meeting with the Chief Commissioner, and seeing that the Irish gun dealers/smiths are the most fragmented group of us all,no one will consider doing anything to better this situation.

They should just come out and state that they don't want members of the public to own guns.

That's a given on a global scale! You have the anti-gun-ownership UN, the anti-gun EU, bar the former East blocs more or less,who had the pleasure of living with a Soviet jackboot on their necks for 50-odd years and know the value of having firearms in private hands, and the Balkans where its considered a normal tool and badge of manhood to have a gun.We are too smug and complacent in the West as we haven't had any real oppression for centuries. Of course, they would love to say and do this but then it would simply show that we are a police state that is using outdated arguments of terrorists and criminals being armed by stealing firearms off civilians. That they have vetted for not being such!

But if you play the long game and discourage, obfusticate,and make it as difficult as possible to obtain,you will kill it off over a generation or two. That's why it is vitally important you keep your daughter on track to get her license and as everyone should do is encourage our kids to take shooting up as well.If anything it will teach them patience in getting the liscense.

Thanks for the encouragement , Grizzley!

we're definitely sticking at it.

FirearmFirearms Officer wanted me to add her to my existing licence, rather than have her with a licence in her own name.

Her rational was " you have 18 months left on that licence, it'd be a shame to lose the money....."

As I said earlier, I chopped in a ratty old Mossberg 500 for destruction, just so we could get the O/U out of the shop quicker for her ( on a sub, as she was heading to Banagher to shoot for the county).

Will be looking a replacement 500 when she gets her licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiatlegend

Hi Guys

Just wondering , I am currently a member of a rifle club , I find it far more enjoyable to go shooting on farming land , just curious as to the process to change from the gun club to private land shooting as I am licensed for the gun club but have heard so long as permission is granted by the farmer I should be ok ? Just want to avoid any issues with Guards if I was to do this and pull out of the gun club

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Freight bandit

Anybody any idea of the wait times from Balbriggan garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

8 days here in Kilkenny on a substitution from 22 lr handgun to 22lr rifle. FO wasn't sure if she could do a handgun to rifle as they are different types of firearms, but all went thru OK.

Licence arrived today.
    Change in Super delayed the process somewhat as the FO approved it on 6th March.

It was a sub so the ammo count transferred over (even though I asked for more) and I asked for a Mod (which the subbed rifle had) but the new one doesn’t.

Not sure if change in policy or to enquire about it?

Here is a new one for you,

Rang my station to inquire as to when the Firearms Officer or Sergeant was on duty and was told that due to security reasons, they could not divulge that information.

This is what you are up against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mauser777

Application in 6 weeks got letter on Friday to say super has refused my application. Have had guns in my own name 25 years never been in any trouble with the law . I have 2 shotguns and a .308 already this was a application for another rifle a .22lr for control of rabbits and other vermin. Reason he gave for refusing is I have enough to control vermin with 3 firearms.

Next question is where do I go from here what's my next course of action?

Advertisement