Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's hottest day since records began

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A few years ago, maybe 4/5 the family decided to buy fans for kitchen, dining room, sitting room and the bedrooms…that scorcher of a summer. ‘18 I think. last week they asked me to have a look to get quotes for air conditioning for a number of rooms…

a few years ago any working/middle class people pricing up aircon for a residential property in Ireland would have been thought of as having too much money and aspirations above their standing.

What I’ve noticed now in the middle of summer is often first thing in the morning and late at night into the AM it’s resembling southern Europe in terms of heat and humidity here.

I can’t sleep with the windows open as two neighbours work nights, one with a loud motorbike, the other one having a hearing problem plus arthritis , like properly mutt and jeff comes back slamming gates and their door…. I’m often woken…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Can't say I can agree about the late evening/morning resembling southern Europe in great and humidity. I've not experienced that in Ireland.....IE; 25°+ after dark.

Regarding your noisy neighbours, get yourself some wax earplugs and you'll be able to leave your windows open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I tried hard for many many years, but seeing how the world returned to the chaos so easily post covid ive just give up. The clock is ticking down and were not going to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Exactly, it's politically impossible. No one is going to vote for party promising less stuff and less opportunities, because there's no realistic way we can keep our levels of consumption and way of life while actually reducing emissions to the extent we need to. We'll carry on as is in rich countries until resources start to become harder to get and then it'll just kick off wars all over the place with all the blame being put upon some other countries, I can't see how it could possibly go any other way.

What I don't understand though is why there's zero mitigation being put in place to deal with what's coming. Ireland imports most of the food we eat for e.g., that could be severely affected in the coming years by drought and extreme weather abroad. Already farmers are struggling in Iberia and Italy etc. due to water shortages. Why aren't we investing in water infrastructure to contain way more than we do already? Should we not be looking at growing more crops that can handle different weather and trying not to be so dependent on imports?

The writing is on the wall that global temps will go up by a couple of C in the coming decades which will cause chaos with weather systems. But let's do absolutely nothing to prepare for it, it's baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lads, earlier humanity coped with Ice Ages, massive meteorites, volcanic eruptions which mimicked nuclear winter and did away with summer globally as recently as the mid-19th Century. In those eras, their scientific capacity and technological capability was basically nil.

The globe IS going to see a rise in average temperatures by 2 or 3 degrees in the next 150 years.

The reason it will happen is the following:

1) The science of mitigation is uncertain. We do not know that doing everything now, all at once, will make any difference to an almost inevitable.

2) If any major player fails to do their part, with total and utter commitment, we might as well not bother. With the questionable commitment of all of China, India, Brazil, Russia and the US, this is now most likely the destination. Its a political impossibility.

3) Putting the blame and the onus for action on individual households, as well as the cost and consequences, will not work.

4) The World is already overpopulated. A process that reduces net global population over the next couple of centuries is not a bad thing.

5) Can anyone say that the economic cost of mitigation (unconvincing mitigation) will be less than the cost of dealing with individual and regional consequences? I'm far from convinced that it will be.

6) This whole challenge is being sold to people the wrong way. Instead of trying to terrify them, the benefits of local plentiful renewable energy and the reduction on dependency on foreign powers with malign intentions for fossil fuels needs to be emphasised.

7) The way each element is being approached globally, is chaotic. All resources should be on two aspects for now, the reduction in waste material and the increase in renewable energy. All other required changes will follow naturally from that. All of them...

In the meantime, sit back, relax, pour yourself a beer and pop a juicy burger on the barbecue and stop bloody worrying about what you simply cannot change as either an individual, a Country, a region or a global western Community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Something to consider before you buy.

I had a loan of a portable AC unit from and a power monitor from work.

did a 3 hour comparison and found that the AC running max cooling used 43, yes 43, times the amount of electricity the fan running at full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

I hate that all the emphasis is being put on individuals to reduce their carbon footprint, a phrase that thought up by BP when they had their massive oil spill in the gulf of Mexico.

Ryan air, cement factories and power-stations are the biggest emitters in Ireland

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1327020/biggest-polluters-ireland/#:~:text=The%20low%2Dcost%20carrier%20RyanAir,Plant%2C%20which%20emitted%202.7%20MtCO%E2%82%82..

Think everyone has forgotten that their electric cars only means no emissions out the back not no emissions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

the answer is in the name scientific journals

they only publish science

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

No, they only publish things that won't turn the climate mob on them or any science that contradicts the narrative supported by billions of dollars a year.

In the 4.543 billion years of the earth's existence. Do you think 143 years of data is a good sample size to conclude that humans are irreparably destroying the planet?

But for Ryanair to reduce emissions we'd all need to fly far less, so it's up to the individual too. We'd all need to consume less meat and dairy too, among other things.

• Advertisement

The climate mob lol. Just realised you're the one who had their windfarm poll go the way you didn't want too, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

they only publish science

you just need to find some for us

they have millions of years of data though, luckily the scientists are smart

I mean the climate issue is what it is, nothing is going to change it really, but we are going to run out of fossil fuels and plastic, so that needs to be dealt with

the main thing is to try and not cause a tipping point climate disaster if we can, so why would you be against that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

For this particular record, some time in the 1970's I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think while I agree with this, it's hard to see how this will work at a micro/individual level. (Even though, as you say, we can all make our choices)

The steering hand here has to come from a macro level. The EU is a pretty big body - let's say it ended freedom of movement. It only came in, what - 25 years ago? We lived before it.

But emigration/immigration is pretty high carbon, because people who move to another country will inevitably fly back and forth to visit relatives, etc. There's a huge amount of return flights to eastern Europe that simply didn't exist 20 years ago. Going even further afield, an Indian flying home from Ireland, or an Irish person flying home from Australia, will I think generate more carbon in that return flight than the average European citizen in a year (citation I think is that Tim Berners-Lee book, How Bad Are Bananas). Air travel is one of the fastest increasing main sources of carbon there is (along with cloud storage I think, as we all rush to be sustainable and put things into the cloud), but this wasn't mentioned on RTÉ a few weeks back when Dublin Airport announced passenger numbers.

So the question is, can we bring that in politically? And as you've said, the answer is surely no. You'd have the immigrant council calling everyone racist and the D&I people saying we need diversity and all sorts of interest groups shouting it down.

Or we could increase the pension age, to 70 or 72. Reason being that as birth rates decline (a good thing), the pension bill will become unaffordable - but of course we just drive more immigration to increase our population, effectively saying that an increasing population is a requirement of our society (which of course requires, among other things, building loads of new housing at high carbon cost). In fairness, there was discussion around it, but it suffered a quick political death.

So if the wealthiest parts of society can't afford to make the required change - and we're the ones causing the vast majority of emissions - then what hope has the world got?

I do agree with your (and Larbre34's) pessimistic outlook. I was at a conference organised by Chartered Accountants Ireland where the first speaker spoke about needing to reduce emissions by 50% this decade and 100% by 2050. Then they had CRH's sustainability guy as a speaker, who spoke of how they were taking seriously their job of reducing emissions by 25% by 2040. And again it makes you wonder - what hope have we got in the face of that mindset from big business?

(I'm not saying those suggestions are panaceas obviously, but they would at least try address some of the problems)

When the goal of a government is only to grow the economy at all costs, lots of immigrants will be required.

Your plan would also mean Irish prole can't go away either, good luck telling Irish people they can't move abroad or work abroad any more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Oh yeah, completely agree on both counts.

Ultimately though, they're the kind of decisions we're going to have to take to solve this. If we don't want to take them, we're not going to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That would probably depend on whether you wanted the raw numbers or the after 'adjustment' numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DJoSullivan79

US researchers said the new record was the highest in any instrumental record dating back to the end of the 19th century. 

Rather disingenuous this reporting by the many outlets running what clearly is clickbait. For starters its a computer modelled programme that thinks Monday July 3rd was the hottest day, not actual manual recordings of instruments located in standard stations in high quality locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is the correct response every time one of them pops their head out from under the gutter

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

My physics prof in college put all this climate change malarkey in context one day. He said his ancestors walked from Spain to Donegal 10,000 yrs ago without getting their feet wet. They weren't worried when the seas subsequently rose 90 m so he isn't going to worry about them rising 2m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The last time temperatures were as high as we're expecting them to get without stopping climate change, humans hadn't evolved yet

Humans as a species have only ever know interglacial conditions, and human civilization has only ever known the relatively stable conditions of the past 10k years

Your physics professor should stick to teaching differential equations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do you think recording instruments need to be manually recorded these days?

Yes.

We certainly shouldn't be using computer modelled data to declare that the warmest day ever "recorded" just happened.

If you were buying a house and wanted the Quantity Surveyors opinion - would you buy on the strength of his word if he told you he never looked at the house physically but ran the building's spec through a computer program and the computer said it was grand?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Where do your objections lead us? That the world isn't warming? Are you saying that the readings aren't alarming?

And to take your analogy further, if your quantity surveyor said 'there's something deeply wrong with this house', would you say to them 'unless you can prove that unequivocally, I am buying this house' or would you decide 'this is not a gamble worth taking'?

You see it's not just my objections - NOAA have expressed cation about the Climate Reanalyser's computer model output saying:

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Thursday issued a note of caution about the Maine tool’s findings, saying it could not confirm data that results in part from computer modeling, saying it wasn’t a good substitute for observations.

Source: https://apnews.com/article/global-heat-record-hottest-climate-change-july-7d55e351fc97f5cd6368bda60ed2bf31

Or do you doubt AP News and NOAA when they pour a bit of cold water over unfounded headlines?

As for taking my analogy further? How? Did the surveyor physically survey the house?

Are you saying that the readings aren't alarming?

You see therein is exactly the problem - there were no readings of instruments, it was all conjured up by a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

It probably was the hottest day on record as the Oceans are much warmer than most years and there are temperature records being broken almost daily in many worldwide locations. If its not Climate Change it is certainly a hot cycle.

Canadian fires haven't helped, neither has the Asian heatwave or the American heat records or Southern Europe taking on the hot temperature mantle that Northwestern Europe experienced in June or the fact that Russia and Siberia are experiencing record high temperatures at times recently or the fact that South America is seeing extremely high temperatures all "Winter" or the fact that parts of Australia are seeing temperatures of Summer like values in their "Winter" or finally the Antarctic isn't freezing as much as it normally does. Even the Arctic Circle which is in a slow melt year is full of melt ponds.

These have all helped contribute to the world's warmest day ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny I'm in Sydney at the moment, the people I know here are saying the past two winters were particularly wet and the current weather is what they would class as a normal winter. this is people who have here 20 years.

and it's no where near summer temperatures.

no one on the weather here is talking about it being unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭bluedex

So we can't reverse climate change, and we probably can't effectively slow it down materially without negative effects to the global population which outweigh those from climate change (e.g. extensive food shortages).

Why is the emphasis not on managing and mitigating the effects of climate change, rather than some mad Greens policies to tax everyone out of existence and push us all back to living in caves, in trying to stop it?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Were there 7 billion people on the planet and nuclear weapons 10,000 years ago? When people start dying in big numbers if/when that happens, all hell will break loose trying to take ownership of territories.

Advertisement