Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done AM, don't be hard on yourself as you are improving and that's great. Keep the routine going now and staying at things consistently will see continuing improvements for you. I forgot as well about the climb in the last half mile or so and it is tough going for sure, I think owing to the nature of the course it really is a go for it from the off and then hang on for dear life but again well done on the progression you are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks D! By the way, considering a visit to Tralee parkrun for NYD (weather dependant!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Can you just rock up and register for any online course or is it part of a syllabus that you are taking??

Very good, you'll enjoy it and all being well I should be there. I was looking at a 5/10K race in Beaufort the same day (12pm start) as well I'd like to possibly do. In the past I did parkrun for a warmup and then the 10K race afterwards.

Yes you can just rock up! They do in person and online. I just did the Endurance module and TBH I think you would get loads out of it too Alan. They then have a coaching qualification that has multiple modules and I think they have an exam element to them. I think you have to be a member of a club but you can double check that, I was asked for my membership number.

Details https://www.athleticsireland.ie/coaching/coach-education

• Advertisement

Exams only come in Level 3 to my knowledge. For the Level 1 coaching course, it is practical assessment and it's very straight forward as you can pick what you'd like to coach/demonstrate. In my case I did relay changeovers and you coach the other coaches on the course to do it.

For the Level 2 coaching course, no exam but what you have to do is create a full training schedule for an athlete for a year and then present it, take questions. The plan should show the various cycles (meso/micro/macro) and periodisation. I did the throws Level 2 last year and that's what we had to do but I believe for those doing Sprints, Endurance, Jumps modules they had to do similar.

Depending on the club, if you are actively coaching they will probably pay for you to do the course but I think anyone can do the courses and pay themselves once they are a member of Athletics Ireland. I did the Endurance one (a number of years ago when it was in person but it's online now) and there was someone at it who is a member of an AC but coaches privately and not within their club as far as I know....so presume paid for their own course.

They are very enjoyable courses to do and great for broadening your network in the sport too as people come together from all over the country to do them.

Monday 4th December - rehab & stretches

Trying to get into a daily habit..

Tuesday 5th December, yoga am + club run pm 3.14miles @ 10:16

I will eventually learn - I'm not saying when but it will happen someday!!! Having raced on Sunday and with my watch saying I still had another 13 hours recovery, I should have stayed well away from the club (as others did) but it was a lovely evening so headed down with the plan to run easy. None of the C25K crew were there so ended up running far too fast with one of the girls (who's race times are similar to mine so there's a pair of us in it..). First and second miles were 9:47 & 9:56, ran the last half mile on my own so was able to slow down a bit. Wore the HR strap as I want to focus more on staying in zones. This was 13 mins in zone 3 and 16 mins in zone 5 - less than a min in zone 2!

Wednesday 6th December, rehab & stretches + indoor bike x 20 mins

Another habit I'm hoping to build. I don't have a smart trainer so I just put the watch on and did some easy pedaling while watching the tele.

Thursday 7th December 2023 3.11 miles @ 11:42

No rehab, had a lie in. I was off today and my weather app said the heavy rain was going to stop around 10am (it was spot on!) so I headed to Doneraile for an easy run in the glorious sunshine. You have to run by feel here as too many hills to be monitoring HR. I succumbed to the Reebok black friday sale and bought a pair of Floatride adventure shoes so tested them out today, they are great on the trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Saturday 9th December, Club run 4 miles @ 11:38

Last Beast session of the year. Tired after a late night and a glass of vino. Made sure to do the warm up at very easy pace and then just did cone 1 & 2 twice and jogged back to the car. I've noticed my resting HR is trending upwards so being extra cautious. Will be switching everything to time based training from next week putting a lot of what I learned last week into practice. Two stand out bits of information for me were:

1) Frequency first, then duration, THEN intensity = run more often, then for longer duration then increase the intensity. Building fitness and aerobic endurance takes years, intensity can happen very quickly once you've done the first piece properly.

2) Intensity control - never train at an intensity beyond what is needed. "I felt good so I pushed more" = failure. Use metrics to control pace, heart rate, lactate, RPE and feel and stick to the correct numbers (i.e. if your set pace is 8 min mile for a session or a run, don't do 7:50 because you feel good). It's something we all know, but interesting to see the point made and backed up.

Sunday 10th December, Rehab/Stretches, 1 hour easy

Switched to time based & just had the HR screen on display. I must turn off the mile/pace beeps on the watch as it's very distracting and I was thinking "oh no this is sooooo slow!" but that's what I need. Really enjoyed this, drove into Mallow to run laps of the park which is very flat. The sun was shining on the river and lots of dogs around to chat to as I jogged past 😍.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I found this Ultra runner recently. Shes a mother of two and in her 40's and shes training as well as she has ever trained in her life. She started pro running later in life. I usually fast forward her podcasts about 10 mins as she usually advertises at the start and if she has a guest they usually stroke each others egos for a while.

But this latest podcast below might interest you:

• Advertisement

Thanks, an interesting listen - consistency is more important than effort.

Monday 11th December, Indoor bike, 20 mins + strength training 15 mins

Tuesday 12th December, 25 mins easy, HR 135

Missed an opportunity to get out in daylight so went to the GAA pitch at 6.30, very cold and pitch dark. Wasn't feeling the love and stopped at the end of the second loop.

Wednesday 13th December 35 mins easy, HR 143

Driving home from a work event in Durrow and remembered there's a lovely river/forest trail in Cahir. Had the gear with me so parked up, used the facilities and headed off just after 4pm. It was so lovely to run somewhere different, the sun was setting over the river and fields. Relaxed and enjoyed it and got back to the car just as the last of the light was going.

Friday 15th December 4 mile walk

Saturday 16th December, 3.1 miles, Mallow Castle parkrun

Much harder than it should have been although when I look back my HR was 156 so shouldn't have felt that hard..

Sunday 17th December, 42 mins easy avg HR 135

Around Doneraile park trying to stick to the flattest paths! Had hoped to do 5 miles but was too tired so finished at the end of a full lap of the park.

Monday 18th December, 4.5 mile hike

Decided I'd take a break from running for Christmas and do some hikes instead. Did the Cannon Sheehan loop in the Ballyhouras which I can see from my Kitchen window 🤩. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Tuesday 19th December 4 mile hike

A bit further afield this time to Lake Muskry in the beautiful Glen of Aherlow. About half way up I had to disturb some Scottish Blackface sheep - I'm not overly fond of this breed with their pointy horns and had stupidly left my hiking poles in the car. Looking up, the summit was completely covered in mist and the temperature was dropping rapidly so, I turned around and headed back to the car. Will give this one another go in better weather and a aul stick to defend myself 😃.

Wednesday 20th December, 4 mile hike

Another hiking location attempt failed although I didn't even start this one! Drove to Ballyorgan which is just up the road to do a 10km hike along the river Keale. Got there to find no parking and a town that looked fairly desolate in the winter drizzle. Headed instead to Doneraile park. Enjoyed this but felt very tired afterwards.

Saturday 23rd December, 1 mile of Mallow Castle Parkrun

Wanted to see if I could jog around but half a mile in I pulled the plug, went home and back to bed. Had a good rest & an early night.

Nothing since then. Haven't been feeling well and still waiting on some bloods to see what's going on. Took a few covid tests and they were negative but unwell turned into a horrible cold and today's covid test was positive - I'm hoping the fatigue was my body battling the bug and hoping even more to get back running by next weekend. 🤞. Happy New Year to everyone.

Advertisement