Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things.

Options
  • 29-06-2023 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

In an effort to get back running regularly and stay injury free, I recently joined my local club's couch to 5k. A lovely way to ease back in and build gently from a very low base of fitness. Time for a fresh start with a new log and plenty of hope that maybe this time, I can get it right.

Since completing the couch to 5k, I’ve joined the main club sessions. The coach is keen to make sure we don’t go too far too fast so he’s breaking down the regular session for us. Because we run laps of a park, we still feel connected to everyone else. All very welcoming and inclusive.

The C25K ended with a parkrun on 

June 17th 3.14 miles @ 10:31 in 33:02

1 10:34

2 10:26

3 10:31

.1 10:46 

Ran with the group. Fairly consistent splits, this is my best time here since May 2022, it's been a long time since I’ve run parkrun in under 30 mins. Not that I’ve set out to do that but there was a time jogging a parkrun would mean 29:xx or lower! Still, must not look back, I’m not going that way... This was not a jog I hasten to add, it was probably fairly close to max effort. So I have a benchmark. 

20th June, club session, 32 mins running - 3 miles

Warm up 22 mins @ 11:22 pace, 2 miles

Steady 10 mins @ 10:11 pace, 1 mile

12 mins cool down walk, .67 mile @18:31 (also forgot to stop watch while chatting).

Left this session buzzing to be part of a group again and full of hope that I might actually get back running. The rest of the club were doing 25 min warm up followed by 15 mins steady, rest, 10 mins steady, rest and 5 mins steady. We were told to do the warm up followed by 10 mins running, the goal is to increase our running time each week (sessions are done by time, not distance).

21st June, hike, 3.5 miles

22nd June, yoga & club session 35 mins running - 3.27 miles at 10:43

Same instructions as Tuesday. I didn’t stop the watch for each section this time so the data is broken into miles, I should probably use the lap button for each timed section to better gauge progress.  

1 @ 10:54

2 @ 10:49

3 @ 10:26

Legs were feeling this. The loops are almost entirely on grass. The warm up was too fast. Warm, warm warm! 

Saturday 24th June, Fairview parkrun 33:46 running - 3.23 miles @ 10:26

Was up in Dublin for a gig and chose Fairview parkrun to meet up with A & G. Nice crowd there and lots of blue Sanctuary Runner tops. Started at the back, no goal. I’m not used to having so many people around me at parkrun, in Mallow I tend to be at the back of the pack and then solo for most of the run after the first lap. Joined on the 2nd lap by @Murph_D and had a lovely catch up.

1 @ 10:34

2 @ 10:21

3 @ 10:12

Last bit 11:22

The heat!!! Had to stop and walk a bit of the hill on the 3rd lap and was feeling the effort for a while after I crossed the finish line. Very enjoyable nonetheless. Followed by 2 hours dancing at the Block Rockin Beats gig in the same park later that evening. 

Monday 26th nothing. Tried to talk myself into a walk but was too tired from the weekend and the long drive home yesterday. 

Tuesday 27th morning yoga, found a more challenging class, fell over a few times 🙂

Club Session 45 mins running - 3.88 miles @ 11:36 

25 min warm up then 10 mins steady, rest and another 5 mins steady. Stayed with one of the C25K girls that hadn’t come to a session yet so the warm up was slow but chatty. 

1 12:08

2 12:18

3 10:17 

0.8 11:37

Wednesday 28th June hike 3.46 miles

There’s really only one goal for now and that’s consistency. If I can get to three club runs a week and walk some of the other days, I’ll be happy with that. I’d like to get back to sub 30 5k in the coming months so that can be my focus. Consistency will be enough to get that goal. Both knees are sore in front of the kneecap Patellofemoral pain syndrome which I’m managing with stretches, foam rolling, yoga and biofreeze. I did mention the Charleville half to D when we were chatting but it's way too soon to even contemplate taking on a training plan. Nothing changes if nothing changes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see you logging 🙂 very best of luck with it🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thursday 29th Club session 4.04 miles @ 11:03

I used the lap button on the watch this time.

25 min warm up @ 11:21

10 min steady @ 9:59

5 mins steady @ 9:57

cool down jog

There's a couple mins break between each set walking recovery. Was delighted to see a 9:XX on the 10 mins steady bit.

The main session was 20 mins warm up then 9, 8, 7, 6 (I think) which sounds painful and was glad not to be doing it. I'll miss the hill training session again this week but there will be plenty more to get to.

Friday 30th Yoga + stretches

Saturday 1st July, Athlone parkrun, 35 mins, 3 miles @11:31 (either the course is short or there's too many twists / out & backs for the watch to pick up)

1 10:54

2 11.58

3 11:43

Was in Athlone for work, drove up Friday evening for a meeting in Moate which ran late enough followed by a less than great nights sleep. I knew this would be twisty with loops and switchbacks and out & backs, I wasn't aware there were multiple, steep enough hills!! Most of this is run on grass or trails, tough enough after a spell of rain I'd imagine. This should have been an easy enough run but the effort was way more than the pace suggests. Nice crew there, a very relaxed experience! My 149th! 150 seems to have become an unofficial celebration, cake next week so!

Post edited by Annie get your Run on

Thank you both. Good to see you back logging too Alan.

I'm always reading your log with envy Elaine, so inspirational! Hopefully with a bit of work and consistency I can achieve something again.

Aw thanks so much, I think we can all inspire someone, bo matter what our running abilities just getting started & keeping it going even when things get tough to me thats inspirational 💛

• Advertisement

Monday 3rd July Yoga, tried to talk myself into a hike but lost the internal argument!

Tuesday 4th July, Yoga + Club session 46 mins running, 4.12 miles @ 11:11

Instructions were to increase our time running by between 3 - 5 mins on last week, club session was 25 mins warm up then 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 (I think). I decided on 25, 9, 8 and 5 cooldown.

25 mins @ 11:12

9 mins @ 10:46

8 mins @ 10: 40

5 mins @ 11:40

Slower than last week but more running so a trade off I guess! Wore trail runners because it had been bucketing down at home most of the day but got into town to find the park bone dry 🤷‍♂️ Another enjoyable run even if I was feeling a bit more tired than recently.

Wednesday 5th July, Yoga + easy walk

Tried again to talk myself into a hike but no cigar! My dog has recently been diagnosed with diabetes so strict timing for insulin injections mean I have to go early evening to be back for his injection or immediately afterwards. Will need to be more organised or I'll end up not bothering to get out more often than not! Having said that I ended up bringing him to the park for a relaxed stroll, win win for both of us.

Thursday 6th July, 47 mins run, 4.62 miles @ 10:22

So apparently I woke up in November, what is going on with the weather???? Actually had to cave and put the heating on for 10 mins this evening. Anyway, club session moved to the industrial estate as the park would definitely have been a mudfest. Got there and the coach was now talking in mile markers (they have a loop of the industrial estate they use and it's marked out in 1/2 mile, mile, 1.5 and 2 miles for their sessions. So this ended up being a bit of a mixed bag of time & distance, I'll continue to log in time though.

25 min warm up @ 10:30

9.23 mins @ 9:34

6 mins @ 9:39

Cooldown @ 11:14

Very happy with this despite the warm up being too fast. Easier to run on the tarmac than the grass for sure although I know the grass is much better for my dodgy knees! Also because the loop is 1/2 mile, I was on my own for a good bit but plenty of chats and discussion in between sets. I'll also be able to get to the Saturday session this weekend so really looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

10 mins of heating, did it make any difference at all? 😉

Good sessions, the new club seems to be working well for you.

Friday 7th July, hike, 58 mins, 3.45 miles

Windy but warm! Just did the local forest trail beside me.

Saturday 8th July, club run 34 mins, 3.12 miles

Have missed out on these the last few weekends due to away trips so was looking forward to giving it a try. The club plan for this is meet at 8.30, do 25/30 mins warm up loop and come back to a meadow with a long hill run. parkrun were short volunteers with a good few regulars away so I thought I'd get to the park at 8am, do a warm up and then run the warm up with a group and head back to Mallow Castle to volunteer. Things are a bit more relaxed around here so 'open at 8am' really means 'open sometime between 8 and whenever we get to it' 😀 Unfortunately this morning was one of those so it was 8.20 when I was parking the car. There isn't really anywhere else to run so it was sit and wait or jog up and down the main street. Anyway, lesson learned, did my 10 mins and then back to meet the club and did half of their warm up. They also have a long run on a Sunday which is another option to consider but I love Doneraile park..

Obviously mileage is teeny tiny but seeing some progress already and better again, really enjoying it!

Week 1, 9.5 miles, 1hr 40 mins running

Week 2 10.92 miles 2hrs 5 mins running

Week 3 11.86 miles 2 hrs 7 mins running

Sunday 9th July, bike ride 1 hr 20 mins, 15.6 miles

Plenty of ups and downs. Took me until lunchtime to decide to finally get out the door after some weeding and cleaning aka procrastination! Really enjoyed it once I did though and it's a nice local route that's not too far and mostly quiet country roads. The wind had mostly died down from the last few days with just a few blustery bits.

It did! took the nip out of the air 😀.

So far so good! 🤞

Monday 10th July, Yoga.

Tuesday 11th July Club run 35 mins, 3.11 miles @ 11:17

The club session was 20 mins warm up then 7, 7, 6, 6. I thought I'd go for 25, 7, 7 but turns out I was quite tired after a couple of nights interrupted sleep with the dog and our small C25K grads group seemed to be feeling the same. Ended up with

25 mins @ 11:33

10 mins @ 10:46

Wednesday 12th July Yoga & stretches, knee improving every day, these are working 🤞

Thursday 13th July, club session, 47 mins running, 4.29 miles @ 11:03

Firstly the average pace is wrong because I forgot to stop the watch twice between sets. Absolutely loved this by comparison to Tuesday. I was still a bit tired on the warm up and not feeling the love, then coach showed us a 1km loop and suggested we stick to that and time it to gauge where we are. I don't think I did the route properly so probably not a KM but fell in behind one of the lads and got into a rhythm which ended up as:

25 min warm up @ 11:25

11 mins @ 9:30

5.30 mins @ 9:28

Cooldown lap

Hoping to make the hill session on Saturday. The plan for next week is to get over 50 minutes of running in both sessions.

Really happy with that now.

• Advertisement

Saturday 15th July 48.23 mins, 4.46 miles @ 10:50 pace

Club hills! 25 mins warm up, they do a loop through Doneraile park before returning to the back meadow to do a loop of 'the beast' an aptly named circuit that I could only manage one loop of 😳 it's a 1 mile circuit. The warm up was about 2.5 miles I think and I managed to stay with the back group of about 8 runners, way too fast for a warm up for me but what's better, stay solo or keep up and benefit from the group element! Made it back to the meadow and took a break of a couple of minutes before starting up the hill. The loop goes up through the middle of the meadow, along the side and then onto the path leading up through the beast which is a constant uphill that gets steeper as it goes. Then into another field and back down through it and back onto the path we just ran up. There was some relief in the downhill section but not enough! Got back to the start and rested again for a min or two trying to decide whether to try again. Decided I'd give it another shot and head up the meadow but half way up my legs were feeling it in a way I'd never normally notice on a run so I jogged back down and out into the main park for a cool down. The others did about 5 or 6 loops I'd say which is absolutely amazing. Sonia O'Sullivan puts a lot of emphasis on the many benefits of training on hills. Another benchmark for me to measure progress by. It was dry and warm for this despite overnight rain.

26:32 mins warm up @ 10:20

11:15 mins @ 11:15 pace (1 mile, the beast)

10:34 mins @ 11:45 cool down

Sunday 16th July, 68 mins walk, 4.27 miles.

Legs feeling stiff today will do some stretches this evening! Weather very mixed so opted for a walk over a cycle. Actually lit the fire yesterday, it's bonkers especially given the projected temps for southern Europe next week.

Week 1 | 9.5 miles | 1hr 40 mins running

Week 2 | 10.92 miles | 2hrs 5 mins running

Week 3 | 11.86 miles | 2 hrs 7 mins running

Week 4 | 11.9 miles | 2 hrs 11 mins

Post edited by Annie get your Run on

I actually enjoy hill work when I see it on my plan, there are defo huge benefits to it.

You seem to be enjoying building back up, great to read this🤗

Monday 17th July, nothing, can't remember why but likely rain related. No yoga either..

Tuesday 18th July yoga, stretches & club session 50 minutes, 4.61 miles @ 10:51

Lets start with the excuses! I was tired driving to this, it seems to be a Tuesday theme. My legs were still sore from Saturday's hills, I wore the wrong runners and chryst it was HOT! I had been feeling cold all day in my home office and it was a very mixed bag weather wise so I was not prepared for a 10 degree jump in temperature at 7pm. Anyway, a change to the session for the main group going into Charleville training and they were doing 20 mins warm up, 3 mins threshold, 2 mins steady x 6. About 4 dropped out due to heat and coach changed it to 2 mins & 2 mins because the heat was an issue for everyone. For us he said to continue with what we were doing - I had one goal and that was 50 mins running. Every time I was being passed by a faster runner I increased my speed so I guess you could call them surges. Ended up with:

21 mins warm up @ 11:11

11 mins @ 10:48

10 mins @ 10:34

7.48 mins @ 10:37

Wednesday 19th July AKA the day the ice age ended yoga, both knees very sore after yesterday's run.

Walk, 3.22 miles followed by icing the knee

Thursday 20th July am, Yoga & lots of stretches, actually woke in the night with the discomfort, was fairly sure I wouldn't make training this evening..

Club Run, 41 mins easy @ 11:17, 3.63 miles

Decided to chance it and maybe just do a slow warm up, I enjoy the company and when you WFH solo, it's always nice to get out and see real people whenever possible. Kept it very slow with the warm up being 11:25 pace then just did laps of the pitch as others were doing their faster session at only marginally faster pace. Picked it up for the last couple of laps. Knee felt fine after the first 1/2 a mile and feels okay this evening too.

25 mins warm up @ 11:25

11 mins @ 11:07

5 mins @ 10:46

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Glad to see you back running and logging - your club seems to have a good set up - will be following along with interest.

Saturday 22nd July 40mins, 3.62 miles @ 11:16

Some of the C25K grads had been chatting about a weekend get together so I stuck a poll up in the group with some options and the majority decided on this morning. It was stinking hot and not a drop of rain in sight when you actually wouldn't mind it! Did some laps of the park at conversational pace. Knee feels fine while I'm running but stiff and sore when I'm not. Did a mobility routine before hand so will keep with the rehab and hopefully undo the damage I did on the hills.

1 @ 11:46

2 @ 11:28

3 @ 10:44

.6 @ 10:54

Sunday 23rd July 35 mins, 3 miles @11:40

Considered a bike ride but decided I'd try a 4th day running. I am conscious that the club sessions are not easy runs so if I want to keep them in the calendar I need to be doing two much easier days. Headed to Doneraile park, plenty of hills (elevation was 128 ft versus about 45ft on the weekly runs) but really did keep it at recovery pace paying attention to form and relaxing, listening to an old episode of An Irishman Running Abroad with Sonia talking about bouncing back after adversity. Sonia also recommended this book from Brad Beer, You Can Run Pain Free I must see if I can get copy in the library.

Pleased with the progress so far.

Week 1 | 9.5 miles | 1hr 40 mins running

Week 2 | 10.92 miles | 2hrs 5 mins running

Week 3 | 11.86 miles | 2 hrs 7 mins running

Week 4 | 11.9 miles | 2 hrs 11 mins

Week 5 | 14.86 miles | 2 hrs 53 mins

Thank you both! @Laineyfrecks agreed, I might event get to an IMRA race before the year is out (Irish Mountain Running Association rather than the other IMRA group 😄).

@lulublue22 it's great for us newbies and we have been made very welcome, hopefully the progress continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lovely progression over the weeks A. That book sounds interesting, if you get your hands on it let us know if you recommend it.

Thank's E 😀

I found this podcast where Beer talks about his book https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watF6RgLhiY and also https://www.pogophysio.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Run-Pain-Free-sample-chapters-2.pdf sample PDF. The book doesn't seem to be available locally but I might unearth yet!

Monday 24th July walk, 3.46 miles

Did the loop beside my house.

Tuesday 25th July, club session 31 mins, 2.72 miles @ 11:20

Didn't realise how tired I was until I started the warm up which was a slow 25 mins. When I tried to get going again for the next section I didn't feel well at all, dizzy and 🤢 and apparently my colour was off so pulled the plug and went home.

Wednesday 25th July

Nothing, not even yoga, total rest day. Was sitting on the couch when the news came in about Sinéad O'Connor. Like a lot of people I was moved to tears but the whole "I hope she knew how much we loved her" outpouring rings hollow to me. How do they expect her to know that when we let her down so badly over the years? The gaslighting, the patronising, the whispers about her mental health and 'madness', the complete lack of our voices behind hers when she spoke the truth. She was brave, braver than anyone I can think of and we were not there when she needed us the most. I for one am sorry and it's too late now. We should do more of this kind of thing while people are alive, especially if they are struggling. Some really lovely stories on twitter from world stars and her friends. An amazing talent gone too soon 💔

https://open.spotify.com/track/60GXsrlgXeaKNHKtP71ruN?si=A5Lgrh5HQ_Sr0fp0MIdS1w&nd=1

Thursday 26th July Club Session, 53 mins, 5 miles @10:42

Bit of a change from Tuesday! All the other C25K graduates are on holidays so I was solo with the proper runners. Session was 20 mins warm up, 12 mins, 10 mins & 8 mins. It was warm but I had been drinking water all day and wore better gear this time. Ended up with:

20 mins warm up @ 10:45

12 mins @ 10:18

9 mins @ 10:40

7 mins @ 10:40

5 min cool down

That's as close as I've gotten to doing the actual session and I'm pretty happy with that although I should have gone slower for the 12 mins so I could maintain one pace for all the bits. 90 sec recoveries between them. Apparently next week the 90 sec recoveries will be floating, yeah no 😂. Not sure what running I'll get in on Saturday as have a long day of travel but will hopefully get to Doneraile in the evening for an easy jog and again on Sunday before the match. 💙

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

Other than Gay Byrne totally patronising her on the Late Late show my feeling on Sinead is that the Irish media never really gave her a hard time. I feel like there are so many people in Ireland affected by 'hidden' mental health issues and 'hidden' abuse that we all understood Sinead to a great degree.

On an international level, she was way ahead of her time and the world wasn't ready for what she had to say. She was so incredibily vulnerable and innocent to the immensity of the rebuttal she received that there was no other way to handle it than to become crazy at times.

God bless Sinead.

• Advertisement

Friday 28th July, nothing - can't even remember why I didn't go for a walk.

Saturday 29th July, nothing - was in Athlone for work so up at 6am with 5 hours driving and was shattered by the time I got home so opted to go back to bed with the dog who is not well at the moment.

Sunday 30th July, 45 mins @ 11:31 4 miles.

Had put the watch on charge last night but then turned off the socket going to bed as is my habit 🙄 didn't realise until I got out of the car, 18%, would it last? Had the phone with me so I could listen to a podcast, ironically one with Sonia & Jarlath discussing running in the rain, so I recorded on the phone to just in case. The watch held up! Snook out the door for this while Woody 🐕️ was sleeping. The insulin is not working and there may be a difficult decision to make next week 💔 Actually enjoyed running in the rain and took my mind off things for a while. Curled up on the couch for the afternoon to watch the match 🐕️ 💙🤞

Week 1 | 9.5 miles | 1hr 40 mins running | 3 runs

Week 2 | 10.92 miles | 2hrs 5 mins running | 3 runs 

Week 3 | 11.86 miles | 2 hrs 7 mins running | 3 runs 

Week 4 | 11.9 miles | 2 hrs 11 mins | 3 runs 

Week 5 | 14.86 miles | 2 hrs 53 mins | 4 runs 

Week 6 | 11.72 miles | 2 hrs 9 mins | 3 runs - step back week

Monday 31st July, nothing. A tough day as a phone call with the vet confirmed a decision was best for Woody, booked him in for Thursday. Was on holidays from work this week so spent the day on the couch with him apart from a short 'walk' in Doneraile, let him off the lead to snuffle to his hearts content.

Tuesday 1st August club run 38 mins, 3.56 miles @ 10:43.

Rain meant this was moved to the industrial estate, no plan, I just wanted to be in the company of people and get some air. The club are racing in Kinsale on Friday so no session on Thursday. I have signed up to take part, lets see how the week goes.

Wednesday 2nd August nothing.

Thursday 3rd August 2 22 mins, 2 miles @ 11:06

Woody's last day. After I spoke with the vet on Monday, he went blind on Tuesday as is common with diabetes in dogs, his back legs couldn't hold him up very well and he wasn't happy when we went to the park on Tuesday, most likely because he didn't know where he was. I'm so glad I brought him on Monday now as he was able to enjoy that but as the week went on, it was clear this was the right decision for him - not so much for me but keeping him around just for my own needs wouldn't be right. He spent the morning eating bits of roast chicken, his favourite food and loads of cuddles. I stayed with him in the vets until he was gone and for awhile afterwards as couldn't face leaving him there on his own. For such a little dog, he has left a massive gaping hole in my heart which feels like it's been shattered into a thousand pieces. Went for a run in the park afterwards listening to a podcast to try and switch the focus to something else before heading home to an empty house for the first time in 10 years.

R.I.P Woody 💔

So sorry, AM. Reading this brought back very sad memories about our own similar decision 10 years ago.

The right decision but yes, it's very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Actually balling reading that, I really am so so sorry for your loss. I was never a dog lover but we got our own little one 3 years ago and I totally get it now. My heart is breaking for you. Woody had an amazing life, running in the park, eating roast chicken and cuddling on the couch right up until the end, that is every dog's dream life and you gave him that and in the end when it mattered most you did the right thing too ❤️

Mind yourself A xx

Aw AM so so sorry reading that. Sounds like Woody meant the world to you, and in the end you had to do what was best for him. Look after yourself, sending big hugs💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Very sorry to hear that news AM, a tough decision to make but you did what was best for him right to the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm sorry to hear about Woody, poor fella, but you know yourself you did the right thing by him.

Friday 4th August 2023, Kinsale Regatta 5 mile race: 5 miles @ 10:20, 52 mins

I signed up for this many weeks ago as it was a club event. Keeping one eye on the multiple weather warnings it looked like the worst that would happen is that I'd get wet. Headed over early enough driving roads I'm very familiar with as Woody and I lived out here when we moved to Cork in 2020, memories everywhere. Anyway, got there, collected my race number and a few laps of the GAA pitch for a warm up with some club mates and legs/body feeling very tired and heavy. I never know how to fuel for an evening race and even harder when you don't have much of an appetite. The rain was light enough and very stop/start as we lined up to get going. Not much hanging around. Two goals, finish and don't be last! I had looked at last years results and figured if I could run 10 min miles I could achieve both goals.

Mile 1 9:47 - a bit of a drag at the start but there's also a downhill on this mile. I don't remember much really, just that it felt okay, I wasn't killing myself but not jogging either (for me!). Elevation -45

Mile 2 9:52 - I was being passed by a few people here and there across the first couple of miles and starting to worry that I would be last! A massive downhill on this mile and I passed back everyone that had passed me although knew they'd get me back afterwards, elevation -119. My right hamstring had been tight before the start and I could feel the leg niggling a lot now but otherwise, just a parkrun to go..

Mile 3 10:44 - A big reduction in pace, there were definitely a few up hills on this mile although elevation is only showing 12, I also slowed down to take on some water as my mouth was really dry. Feeling very tired now, no energy reserves to call on.

Mile 4 10:41 - Just trying to keep a consistent rhythm going and stick with the few people that were around me, the leg was starting to restrict me now although I don't think the body in general would have let me go any faster anyway.

Mile 5 10:44 - Spotted the club coach with one mile to go and he gave me an encouraging shout out. From about mile 3 onwards there were cars on the road passing us, some at speed which I thought was very poor. I know they don't close the roads for these events but they could have held the traffic back for a bit longer, this was starting to really piss me off now and I just wanted to see the finish line! Finally on the home stretch a lovely downhill bit and I found the energy to pick up the speed to stop the shoes I could hear behind me passing me out. A lovely atmosphere on the finish straight with people out cheering in the damp conditions.

There was tea and sandwiches in a nearby hall but it was tiny and now it was lashing so everyone wanted in out of the rain. The heat in the room filled with sweaty runners made it like a sauna so I grabbed one triangle, spoke to one of my clubmates that I know briefly and left. All in all I'm glad I did it. I'm still not used to going to races and knowing no one! In Dublin I'd have seen and chatted to a ton of people. Also had the thought on my way home that Cork doesn't feel like home anymore.

Saturday 5th August walk, 2.8 miles

Had volunteered at parkrun as loads of the regular crew were away, when I looked at the roster I was down as run director 😮. Plenty of slagging from the lads at the race about that! The setup here is very relaxed while still being 100% compliant so it was a great morning, only a bit windy and very warm and sunny. Looks like we missed the bad weather everywhere else got. The course record was broken too. Headed out for a walk later again in lovely sunny conditions to loosen my very stiff and tired legs. Need to get back to my morning yoga routine and stretches.

Sunday 6th August 34 mins, 3 miles @ 11:22

To Doneraile park for this just tipping around listening to a podcast. Started off in glorious sunshine, a few hundred metres in the heavens opened to torrential rain so sheltered for the few mins it took to lighten to a light drizzle.

Week 1 | 9.5 miles | 1hr 40 mins running | 3 runs

Week 2 | 10.92 miles | 2hrs 5 mins running | 3 runs 

Week 3 | 11.86 miles | 2 hrs 7 mins running | 3 runs 

Week 4 | 11.9 miles | 2 hrs 11 mins | 3 runs 

Week 5 | 14.86 miles | 2 hrs 53 mins | 4 runs 

Week 6 | 11.72 miles | 2 hrs 9 mins | 3 runs - step back week

Week 7 | 14.3 miles | 2 hrs 24 mins | 4 runs including a race

• Advertisement

Always welcome back in the big smoke, AM!

Well done on the race. You're right to be pissed off about the cars - even if roads are open, drivers should slow down around pedestrians. It annoys me when the only thing some drivers slow down for is to let other traffic pass but not some vulnerable walker or runner.

Advertisement