Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sunday 1st October 2023 5.42 miles in 58 mins @ 10:45

I wasn't expecting that! After 5 hours helping out at this year's Permanent TSB Sanctuary Run in the Sport Ireland campus, a colleague needed a lift to the phoenix park. It's not exactly on the road home to Cork so decided to take advantage and run a few miles. I'd spend the morning catching up with lots of friends including some old DAC clubmates and the run was reminding me of so many events and long runs we had done over the years there. An absolutely beautiful day to be alive. I had parked at the Zoo so was making up a loop on the fly, hoping to get 4 miles in. The first few miles were up Chesterfield Ave, down the trails beside the papal X and back up via the monument onto Chesterfield. Decided to run up past the Zoo and onto North Road which I'm not a fan of and now I remember why!! It goes on forever! I was 100% certain there was a left turn that would bring me back through the polo grounds and down to the car park but it's either gone or it was a figment of my imagination. The left turn I eventually got to brought me into the visitors centre, very very far from the Zoo car park and the easiest thing to do was put the boot down and keep going! Finally saw the car park at nearly 5 1/2 miles and while I'm exhausted after a couple of nights rubbish sleep and busy days, I thoroughly enjoyed this.

So in the end I'm up 2 miles with 18 miles for the week instead of the planned 16 😍

Monday 2nd October, rest, really need to get back to the morning yoga routine!

Tuesday 3rd October 6.21 miles, 1hr 2min @ 10:08 Club Session

A few days on the lemsip so wasn't sure how this was going to go. Wore my new runners and arrived about 15 mins early along with another clubmate so we did 1 mile warm up before the others arrived. The session was 20 mins warm up and then 4, 6 or 8 half mile repeats depending on time it took to run them. My usual buddy wasn't there so assumed I'd be solo but found myself running with the group for their warm up (which I'm calling steady) and then with 4 girls for the 1/2 mile reps. In fact, I wasn't last for the first 2! We walked the recoveries of approx 60 seconds. Ended up with:

1 mile warm up @ 10:43

2.38 miles steady @ 10:00 + strides

.52 mile in 4:28

.52 mile in 4:19

.52 mile in 4:28

.52 mile in 4:30

I could feel the lactate in the 3rd rep and figured I'd have to call it a day after that one but was able to go again. This time I let the girls go ahead and just pulled back a little bit. Was delighted though to have been able to run with some of the regular group and even happier to have gotten 6 miles in.

Fitness score is now at 31.

Wednesday 4th October 2023, S&S Class 1 hour

Enjoyed this one, lots of single leg stuff which I badly need more of.

Thursday 5th October Club Run 4.6 miles, 51 mins in 11:01

Today was my mothers 15th anniversary - impossible to figure out how 15 years have gone by without her. It was raining very heavily as I got in the car to head for the run but yet again when I got there, it dried up 🙌. I was early again so did 1 mile warm up before everyone arrive. I wasn't planning to do the session (same as Tues), just run with company but one of the girls that missed Tuesday was there so I decided I'd run with her as she kept saying she couldn't do it. In the end she did 3 x .5 mile loops in 5 mins with the last one just a little slower and went home happy. My run worked out as:

3 miles @ 11:20

1 mile @ 9:58

.61 mile @ 11:09

Legs & body feeling Wednesday workout and even more so this morning (Friday) as I type this.

Friday 6th October 3 mile walk in Doneraile.

Legs and right shoulder in ribbons, barely able to get into or out of a chair!!!

Saturday 7th October 6 mile club run Doneraile hills, 3 @ 11:12, 3 @ 11:38

This was way harder than it should have been. Could have been the heat, could have been my sore legs, could have been the trail runners I wore, or maybe the runs I'd done earlier in the week - or all of the above! I checked the humidity % for the craic, 100%.... so definitely a contributing factor.

The first 3 miles were a warm up, was dropped very early on in this but also the few clubmates I'm closest to fitness wise were not there. I stopped the watch at 3 miles and walked back to the car to get some water, already dripping with sweat 😲. Stretched the legs a bit and walked back to the starting point of the beast. Managed a lap and half before coach called time for the cooldown. Everyone struggled, the humidity was ridiculous. Missed out on my target of 7 miles but no point flogging a dead horse. Tomorrow is another day.

Sunday 8th October, 3.12 miles, 35 mins @ 11:23

Decided against another early start and joining the others on the club run and went out late morning solo instead - back to the park. Took it very easy, wore different shoes and shorts/singlet. Still warm and humid but more comfortable than yesterday and enjoyed this. Forgot my earphones which was a good thing. I've gotten into the habit of wearing them to block out my own thoughts. But, then you miss the sound of your feet on the trails, the river flowing and the birds. Must forget them more often.

A bit off plan this week with extra miles on some days and not enough on others (long run day).

Monday 9th October, rest

Tuesday 10th October, club session 6.58 miles @ 10:26

Another warm day but less humid I think. Got there early again so did 1 mile before the session started. Session was 20 min warm up, strides and X .5 mile repeats with 90 sec walking recoveries (probably less). Warmed up with two of the couch to 5k gang and then got into the session proper. Stuck with 3 of the main group for these until the last one when I just couldn't hold on. Happy enough to get an extra one in tonight and that some of them were faster than last week. Ended up with:

3 miles @ 11:15

.51 miles in 4:18

.51 miles in 4:21

.51 miles in 4:27

.51 miles in 4:30

.51 miles in 4:38

.72 mile cooldown - forgot to pause the watch after one of the reps and I see 2 mins of average pace of 34.23 😏

So, progressively slower! Again could feel the lactate in the 3rd rep. Finished the 4th and told the others I'd just do a cooldown but by the time I recovered they were still at the start point just about to set off so I said feic it, do 1 more and just pull back on pace a bit. Glad to have company for these even if it might be a smidge too fast for me - would be better to do all 5 in 4:25 pace but harder to do that alone I think.

Wednesday 11th October, S&C 1 hour

Great class, lots of laughter with a team exercise that involved catching poles when left or right was called. Burpees for those who dropped them 😃. Had been debating whether to go or not as it's a late enough class but think I'll stick with it, a new term starts next week.

Thursday 12th October, 3.21 miles in 35:36 @ 11:06

Just some easy miles, the first few with one of the C25K grads, the rest solo. Lovely evening!

Friday 13th October, 3 mile walk in Doneraile park

A beautiful day if a good bit cooler than of late!

Saturday 14th October, 8 miles, 90 mins @ 11:27 hill repeats on The Beast

What a difference a week makes! Absolutely beautiful morning, sunny & cool and the park is looking stunning in it's autumn colours. Change of session today. We were starting on the other side of the beast, the longer hill side and coach placed 3 cones at different points on the ascent. The session was warm up 25 mins then starting X run up to cone one and back down, up to cone 2 and back down, up to cone 3 and back down. I enjoyed this more than the longer hills. It was still hard but the first time I completed the whole session since starting these. I managed 2 full circuits of the 3 cones plus two more to cone one and back before coach called time. I needed to bring my mileage to 8 miles for the day so did the cooldown solo & the long way round. Found the last mile tough and probably time to reconsider doing my long run and a hill workout on the same day & also wondering about the wisdom of training for a half marathon.

Sunday 15th October 2023, 3 muddy, hilly trail miles 😍

There was an IMRA event on in one of my favourite places today but I had a friend down from Dublin overnight so couldn't do it. Headed up later morning to do a few miles anyway and the event was still going on. Glad I wasn't running it when I saw the last 1km was entirely uphill!! A cool but absolutely beautiful morning to be out on the trails. Stopped the watch at mile 3 and enjoyed a leisurely 1 mile walk back to the car.

Better at sticking to the plan this week. I'm doing the Cork Rebel Run 10k next weekend - I'm not 100% on whether I'll just it with friends and enjoy it or aim for something a bit faster, not sure I relish the thoughts of trying for back to back sub 30 5k's....!

Well done to everyone that ran Amsterdam today, looks like it all went to plan!

• Advertisement

Monday 17th October, Yoga & stretches.

Only realised late in the day that the forecast for the week was so bad, otherwise would have gone for a run today although having said that, I was tired and glad of a rest..

Tuesday 17th October, 3.21 miles @ 10:34

Orange rain warning saw the club training cancelled as driving conditions would put people at risk with flooding around the town. The forecast for Wednesday wasn't any better so I made the short trip to Doneraile park which is still open until 8pm until the clocks change. There was one other car in the car park so I wasn't alone in my crazy 😀. Wore a cap, rain jacket and long leggings all of which I was glad of. Lots of splashing through puddles too. Took a while to warm up on this but other than a fear of being locked into the park, I really enjoyed it!

Wednesday 19th October, Strength & Conditioning 1 hour class

Thursday 19th October, 4 miles @ 10:51

Race reports in here should come with a warning. I actually looked at entering the Chicago ballot after reading @py's great race report - luckily for me there's a cost attached so I quickly closed out of it 😀. Then reading Sean, Elaine & Conor's Amsterdam experience with the PB's and the description of the atmosphere had me wishing I was built for marathons. The coach in our club is not a fan though and I think I'm really benefiting from being part of a group whose sole focus is not 26.2. If I can continue training and improving I will be more than happy to get doing all the IMRA races around here, these are the events that I love the most.

Anyway, 4 miles easy with one of the others who's also doing the Rebel Run on Sunday. Followed up by visit to the physio - oh my sweet jebus the pain..... I went in with ongoing tightness in my right leg/IT band/hamstring and came out with major pain in my calf!! She worked on the leg and did some dry needling which I've had many times before but I could feel the needles in the calf which I've never experienced before. Fingers crossed it settles down in a few days. I've to go back with instructions to book in & give myself 3 days without running after the next appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

You’re flying Annie Congrats 😀

Saturday 21st October, 2 miles @11:23

Legs felt very heavy on this. Gorgeous afternoon for a run though and tried to stay on the flattest paths.

Sunday 22nd October, Rebel Run 10K in 1:03:22 @10.03 min miles

I didn't really have a plan for this, it wasn't a goal race and was doing it with a big gang of Sanctuary Runners. Up early to have breakfast and collect a gang in Mallow getting there at 9am and parking without issue. Last year I missed the start because the traffic was so bad! There's a 5k and a 10k. 5k started at 9.30 and I jogged around a bit for a warm up of .72 mile (had hoped to get a mile in but too much else going on). Met a few friends I haven't seen a while who commented that I was 'fading away'. I've lost 9kg since Jan, mostly related to a change in diet back to pre covid days.

Strava says the elevation gain on this was 53m, that's a downright LIE, every inch of it was climbing (ok, maybe not but that's what it felt like!). Went out way too fast in the first mile and you'd think at this stage in my life I'd know better but apparently not 😀. The hamstring 'went' about mile 4 in that any kind of speeding up caused a sharp pain so I had no choice but to hold back. Although I had no plan, I was surprised how hard I found this given all the recent training. But, this is obviously where I am fitness wise. In the middle of race I decided I am not doing the Churchtown 10 mile or the Waterford half marathon. It would be crazy. I am really enjoying the training so I'll continue to enjoy it and let my fitness continue to improve and rethink events next year. Splits were:

1. 9:01
    2. 10:19 (this was nearly all uphill...)
    3. 9:47
    4. 10:17
    5. 10:20
    6. 10:38 (chryst is it not over yet!)
    7. 2:57 for the last bit

16 miles for the week.

Tuesday 24th October 4.4 miles @ 10:11 - Club run. Usual gang were not there so ran with the others, faster than planned.

Wednesday 25th October - strength class was cancelled so did nothing! unless you count book club (my first one, loved it!)

Thursday 26th October 3.21 miles @ 10:29 - Both hips and right hamstring holding me back, couldn't do the session. There's a fine balance between running with people faster than you to progress and overcooking every run & causing injury. I don't need to be driving in to town twice a week to run around an industrial estate and even though I enjoyed the chats this evening, from now on I will only go in once a week for the session and do an easy run myself locally the other day, in daylight! I hate winter, I hate the dark evenings and I'm missing Woody a lot these days.

Saturday 28th October 3 miles @ 11:06

As it was my birthday and I was up for the marathon anyway, I treated myself to an overnight in a hotel that had a pool & spa area. The plan was to check in, go for a run along the seafront in DunLaoghaire and scatter some of Woody's ashes in the same spot as my parents were scattered. Running along I was listening to Lainey's spotify playlist and this song came on https://open.spotify.com/track/54T9q6T1LyWJrSMYOVDV58?si=2f1274d1172b47e4. A version I've never heard before and so poignant. Really enjoyable despite the downpour. Lots of happy memories in Sandycove 😍.

Sunday 29th October, a spot of DCM supporting a total of 8.93 miles at 11:25

Up early and parked my car at my Uncle's house quite near the RDS. Jogged up to the 4.5 (ish) mile mark stopping in the Ashling Hotel to try and dry out 🙄. Saw pretty much everyone I wanted to see, a brilliant spot to be as you can see people coming around the corner. Had planned to go to mile 11.5 but was soaked and freezing from standing clapping for over an hour so jogged back to mile 25 where we had a big cheering zone. Had planned to nip back to the car and change into dry clothes but it never happened as I was seeing runners from my old club, my new club, old friends and of course a huge gang of Sanctuary Runners who were running in every wave. Fair play to everyone, the weather was not ideal (for supporting anyway 🤣). I love marathon day. Next year will be 10 years since I was part of the Novice DCM group here. Hopefully I won't get any notions of a 10th anniversary run 😜. Congrats to everyone, runners, pacers and supporters.

Total of 19.54 for the week. Hips were not too bad today but need to do some serious rehab next week!

• Advertisement

Monday 30th October, walk 3.27 miles

Tuesday 31st October, 4.10 miles @ 11:22. Out early for some easy miles in cool but beautiful sunshine.

Wednesday 1st November, Strength & Conditioning 1 hr class

Thursday 2nd November Club session, total of 6.1 miles

Warm up 2.08 miles @ 10:23, 4 x 7 mins with 2 min walked recoveries, .71 cooldown. Splits for the 7 mins were:

7:03 mins, .78 mile @9:06

7:02 mins, .76 mile @9:14

7:02 mins, .77 mile @9:12

8:10 mins .82 mile @10:02

Struggled to get out the door with the pitch dark evening but so glad I went. Looking at the stats, one of the cooldowns was 1:40 the the other I must have just paused the watch, the last 7 mins ran over, user error! Managed to stay with the same group as previously for the first 2 then lost them a bit for the second two but happy with that. Right leg still giving a good bit of trouble, have another physio app booked for Monday.

Revised target races

Newmarket 5k on 3rd December - targeting sub 26 mins

Sonia O'Sullivan Cobh 10 mile race on 7th April

Ballyhoura Trail Half Marathon 30th April

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Only catching up on boards, aw I love that version of that song, play it a lot thinking of my da💛glad it helped you while doing something so special. Happy belated birthday, hope you enjoyed it🤗

Great to have some target races planned, something to look forward too 😊

Friday 3rd Nov, Yoga + 2.7 mile walk.

Another beautiful morning but noticed I was feeling quite tired.

Saturday 4th November 6.16 miles - The Beast Hills

Mytrainingforecast.com is telling me Your training load is increasing too rapidly. Time to take a break or cross-train. Didn't have a great sleep and was up very early. Did the warm up with a few of the usual group and got to "The Beast". I've missed the last few Saturday sessions so I knew this would be hard. The coach places 3 cones at various stages up the hill. The session is: run to cone 1 and back, run to cone 2 and back, run to cone 3 and back. As the weeks go on, he moves the cones further up the hill. Very happy to be able to get two full rounds in and one final run to cone 1 and back (which is the same as I managed the last time - although today, cone 1 was further from the start point).

Warm up, 2.5 miles @ 10:53

Hill session 2.65 miles @ 11:49, 308ft elevation gain

Very slow cool down 1 mile @ 12:07

Sunday 5th November, 4 miles @ 10:56 Went out with the club, they were doing 10 miles so I did nearly 3 miles out with them and 1.2 miles back. Walked the other mile back to the car - actually thought I was only walked .5 of a mile but obviously went further out than I'd thought. This was too fast for my easy pace so will have to reconsider going with them until I'm a bit fitter.

A grand total of 20.36 miles for the week, whoop! Delighted to get to this milestone.

Thanks Elaine 🤗 I'm not sure about looking forward to them but I am kind of excited to see what I can do in Newmarket, although I realise I said sub 26 above whereas I should have said 26:xx. At the end of the day, it's just great to be out running regularly again.

Monday 6th November, Yoga, foam rolling & stretches. A badly planned day so didn't get for a walk

Tuesday 7th November, Club Session 5.58 miles @10:37

Warm up, 2 miles @ 11:25 deliberately stayed with one of the C25K girls to keep the pace to a proper warm up. Session was 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 mins off 2 mins recoveries.

8.05 mins, @ 9:17 (.87 mile)

7 mins @ 9:07 (.77 mile)

6.06 mins @ 9:07 (.67 mile)

4.51 mins @ 9:15 (.52 mile)

3:57 mins @ 10:25 (.38 mile)

I must change my watch screen to display lap time! Bit of a fail on the 5 mins, I stopped when the 2 girls in front stopped even though I knew I should be going past where the coach was to get to 5 mins. Was absolutely feeling this by the 5 mins and decided to do my cooldown for the last one. All bar the last recovery were walked. Bought a club t-shirt!

Wednesday 9th November, S&C class - this one was particular 'active' with loads of sprints and fast moving exercises - had me feeling dizzy in the first 15 mins!

Thursday 9th November - nothing

I had planned to go out early morning as I knew I couldn't make the club this evening (and had gone Tuesday anyway) but I was feeling very tired when I woke up and it was very grey and wet. Couldn't muster up the motivation! Knew I was going to be leaving myself short a day's training...

Friday 10th November, 6 miles @ 11:30

Up early so watched the sunrise while having my coffee & small bowl of porridge before heading over to Doneraile park for this on a beautiful Autumn morning. Kept the pace and effort very easy but couldn't avoid incorporating The Beast to get a reasonable distance done.

Saturday 11th 5.23 miles including Poolbeg parkrun

Home for a family reunion so took the opportunity to do Poolbeg parkrun which is very close to my Uncle's house. Didn't have my phone to take a pic of the bright sun reflecting on the water - such a gorgeous (but tough enough) course! Jogged over and back to bring it to 5.23 miles. Pic below is from Friday evening, gorgeous sunset over the bay.

A grand total of 16.81 miles for the week but that's okay. Two nights out 🍷 and a long drive on Friday and Sunday so let's call it a step back week! I won't make the club on Tuesday or Thursday next week due to work so I'll have to plan a bit better to make sure not to miss any runs. 3 weeks to Newmarket 5k..

Monday 13th November, rest

Tuesday 14th November, 4 mile progression run @ 10:39

Went to the GAA complex for this. Haven't run there since 2020 I think but needed somewhere handy & safe and it has a lit path. Thought about doing a sort of club session of 20 min warm up, then some speedy laps and a cooldown or maybe fartlek but it's hard to do solo and the legs were quite heavy and still tired after a busy weekend. When the 2nd mile came in quicker than the first I decided on a progression run. Worked well although I found it harder than it should have been. Ended up with: 11:13, 10:57, 10:29, 9:54.

Wednesday 15th November S&C class

Locked the car and went into the class, realised I left my water behind so back to get it - couldn't open the car!! I replaced the key about 9 months ago as the fob wasn't working and I hadn't used the new key - it wouldn't open the car either. One of the women very kindly offered to bring me home to get my spare key and back to the car, well out of her way and adding an extra half an hour to her evening. People are so good sometimes.

Thursday 16th November 4 miles @ 11:14

Back to the GAA pitches again for this - looking forward to getting back to the club training next week for extra motivation! Nothing to report, ran around at easy pace in the dark.

Saturday 18th November, 4 miles @ 11:22

Volunteered to marshal at the inaugural Churchtown 10 mile so up early to get out there. Woke up feeling queasy and a bit tired. The race went really well (especially for those of us not racing it 🤣). Met loads of clubmates and a few Sanctuary Runners and the post race spread was unreal! Went out for my own run later in the day, plan was to attempt some of the usual Saturday hill session. Did the warm up route and then started up the beast but just couldn't do it - energy wise it wasn't there and I was still feeling queasy. Back down to flatter ground and finished at 4 miles. Hoping I'll be able to do a long run tomorrow but will see how I'm feeling.

Had physio on Friday and an elbow into the glute for 40 mins along with some hip strengthening exercises means the right leg is feeling less tight at least!

Sunday 19th November, 3.13 miles @ 11:14 - not 9 miles 😏

Had a lie in and waited until the worst of the weather cleared before heading out around lunchtime. The plan was 8 or 9 miles depending on how I was feeling. I had a reasonable sleep last night and although I still wasn't feeling 100%, I thought I was recovered enough for a long run. Drove into Mallow and had a wide loop of the town + a lap of the park in mind. Headed off on the first part and all felt okay. 2.6 miles in I crossed the N20 suddenly feeling awful. My legs were shaking like jelly and I was a bit light headed so I stopped for a minute. My mind really wanted to carry on but the body said forget it so I turned down a side road that would take me back into the town and my car. I have had a busy few weeks and my usual bedtime/sleep routine has been out of whack - hopefully that's all it is or maybe it's some sort of bug 🤷‍♂️. Back to normal now so hopefully next week will be better as that's two weeks in a row with reduced mileage.

2 weeks to Newmarket 5k....

Monday 20th November - rehab/yoga/stretches

Tuesday 21st November, 5 miles @9:51

Headed to the club, what a gorgeous evening for a run! No rain, no wind, not freezing. There are a few doing Newmarket 5k so the session was 20 mins warm up and then either 3 mins or 4 min reps with 1 1/2 min recoveries. Hilariously though, pretty much everyone ignored the time and just did the half mile reps (which is my case is 4:30 mins ish). Tried not to stay with anyone for these as still wasn't feeling 100% but it's hard when people are being so friendly and trying to include you! Ended up with:

Warm up + strides 23 mins @ 10:30

.5 mile in 4.18 mins @8:36 pace

.5 mile in 4:35 mins @ 9:04 pace

.5 mile in 4:34 mins @ 9:04 pace

.5 mile in 4:37 mins @ 9:07 pace

Cooldown 7 mins

The reason I'm mentioning pace here is that in order to do 26 mins for 5k, I need to be able to run 8:20 min miles. There is zero evidence to show that I can do that so I'll need to revise my target - it will likely be 'run as fast as I can on the day' and see what result that gives me! 28:26 is the time to beat anyway. 28 mins is 9 min miles which is much more realistic. Right leg definitely feeling better with the rehab.

Wednesday 22nd November, S&C class 1 hr - no drama thankfully, lots of slagging & laughter. Next week is the last week and I'll be glad of the rest but they are a lovely bunch!

Thursday 23rd November 4.2 miles @ 10:34

Headed to the club again as one of the girls said she'd be there and was planning to jog around with her. She didn't show so I ended up with the faster gang for the warm up (in other words, too fast...). Let them off when the session began and jogged around on my own for the last 1.5 miles. Another lovely evening, balmy even.

Friday 24th November Rehab + physio

Continued work on the right leg, it's definitely getting better 🤞

Absolutely heartbroken by the scenes coming from Dublin town last night, awful to see.

Post edited by Annie get your Run on

Saturday 25th November 4.2 miles @ 11:13 including Mallow Castle parkrun

Slow & easy, ran with a friend & chatted all the way around. Another lovely day

Sunday 26th November 5 miles @ 11:34

Solo. Perfect running weather. Just did a loop around the town and kept the pace very slow with one eye on my HR. Starting to feel the impact of regularly running too fast with the club so will really start to make an effort to do my warm ups solo.

18.4 miles for the week.

1 week to Newmarket...

Monday 27th November - indoor bike test

Very pleased with myself for setting up the bike on the indoor trainer! Just did a short test to check the resistance/gears etc. Will come in handy for keeping warm while watching TV 😊.

Tuesday 28th November 5.4 miles @10:49 club run

Session was 20 mins warm up then .5 mile repeats with 2 mins walked recoveries. Was on my own for this as everyone else there was way faster and although I missed having the company, it worked out better for me - especially with the race on Sunday - not overcooking paces. Another gorgeous evening. Ended up with:

20 mins warm up including strides @ 10:30

.50 miles in 4:35 @9:08

.50 miles in 4:33 @9:08

.50 miles in 4:31 @ 9:01

.51 miles in 4:32 @ 8:52

.50 miles in 4:30 @ 8:58

5 min Cooldown

Looking back at my paces for these half mile reps they average around the low 9's. If I could hold 9 min miles that would get me 27:58, if I could manage 8:50's I'd knock a minute off my September parkrun time of 28:25 - so there's a window to aim for on Sunday.

Wednesday 29th November 1 hour S&C

Last class until next year. Really enjoyed these and will definitely go again in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck for Newmarket on Sunday, probably the best 5K around....certainly this end of the country. And don't do as what I do and have a mental block on the morning of the race and drive to Millstreet instead of Newmarket...and end up arriving approx 10mins before the start of the race (still having to change runners a few others things) and enact an utter abandonment of the car near the start area (but off the race route) and a very short warmup....least I had loads of adrenaline to work with!!

• Advertisement

Thanks D! Oh no! you were well out of your way in Millstreet 😀. I did this race last year and wrecked my knee in the last 100 metres - I wasn't properly warmed up and should not have been racing..... it's a super fast start. I presume you're not doing it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Yeah I was happy out driving over in the car, figuring arrive around 45mins before the race (I also misjudged the time needed to drive over that direction as I went a different route so I was only probably going to be around 30mins before the race if I had been in the right place even) and just when going into Millstreet I was thinking hmm something off here and then it dawned on me. I just looked back there now, it's the last 5K time I managed a sub 22...so didn't do me any harm and I still have no penalty points on my drivers license!!

It's a great race, I had hoped to do the race but not to be this year....on coaching duties on Sunday at national cross country in Navan. It was 2021 I did it, and I did the virtual one back in 2020. Virtual races, thankfully a thing of the past now. Enjoy the run.

Thursday 30th November, 4 miles @ 11:22

Should have gone out during the day when at least there was a degree or two of warmth but missed the opportunity. Headed to the GAA pitch rather than the club session. The car said 2 degrees when I parked and I watched some water at one side of the lap freeze over as the temperatures dropped. Started out with 3 layers and wooly hat! Enjoyed this nonetheless and feeling the benefits of the slower paces.

Friday 1st December 2023, 2.5 mile walk

Was in Killarney for work so took the opportunity to stroll around Ross Island - I had never been before. Beautiful, scenic and peaceful in the winter light.

Saturday 2nd December, rest

Volunteered at parkrun and then did an Athletics Ireland Endurance Coach online course - extremely interesting. Some stuff I knew from listening to Ecoli for many years but also learned a huge amount - a lot of which I can transfer to my own training.

Sunday 3rd December, Newmarket 5k 28:19

First outing for my Mallow AC t-shirt. Did a warm up, including strides, skips, high knees etc 2.5 miles @ 12.02. We were lucky with the weather - although my car was flashing 3 degrees on the drive over, there was no ice or frost on the roads.

I was disappointed when I saw my finish time so took a look back at the parkrun I did last Sept where I was delighted with the result.

Mallow parkrun | 3:09 miles @ 9:11 pace | splits 8:48, 9:04, 9:35 max HR 172 time 28:26 elevation 39

Newmarket 5k | 3:13 miles @ 9:03 pace | splits 8:49, 9:07, 9:19 max HR 177 time 28:19 elevation 105ft

Learnings: I started too slow, there's no matt at the start line so I should have backed myself a bit more and gone up a few rows. It took me half a KM to get into my pace. I ran mostly by feel, I had the average pace displayed on the watch and glanced at it occasionally, I thought I was doing ok based off that. I forgot there is a dirty big hill in the last half a mile and it threw me mentally - only for the coach standing there encouraging me - I may well have walked 😏.

It's an impressive event with massive field at the pointy end. I wore my chest HR strap and remembered why I hate the bloody things, despite tightening it as much as I could, it still slipped down - I was hoping to get an accurate HR reading but actually I think it's probably very close. Looking at my training runs the highest I've gone is 170.

Also for future 5k's I think it would be best to run in KM's.

Total for the day, 5.6 miles

Total for the week 15.07

Post edited by Annie get your Run on

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I wonder if the long warm up cost you a couple of seconds?

Just wondering how fit your current state is....

I wouldn't have thought so - it was very cold and I wrecked my knee at this race last year not having done a warm up so wasn't taking any chances - pace was very slow and broken up with strides, skips etc.

This is my current fitness 😃 other than starting a few rows in front, there was nothing else I could have done on the day. I ran as hard as I could. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so if I want a better result, I have to put more work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Don't beat yourself up!! Maybe not necessarily more work just some patience perhaps! You know all this yourself already but you can't necessarily pile on the work, you have to keep doing the basics consistently and results will follow. It was still a great result. You're on a good run lately with nice consistency building over the weeks... hang in there x

Thanks E, I know you are 100% right. I'm still in the early stages of a comeback and the most important thing for me is to get out 4 times a week and run and do two strength workouts focusing on my weaknesses every single week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done AM, a decent improvement over the fairly recent parkrun for sure on what looks a more challenge course. Congrats on christening the singlet!

Advertisement