Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

So sorry to hear about Woody. Dogs bring such joy and comfort I don't know what I would do if anything happened one of ours. Mind yourself (((( ))))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Monday 7th August, walk 3.79 miles

Enjoyable walk around Doneraile park, lots of dog walkers around including 3 gorgeous puppies who didn't mind the attention from a stranger.

Tuesday 8th August, yoga + 45 mins run, 4.18 miles @ 10:38

Club session was 20 min warm up followed by 12 mins, 10 mins, 8 mins with 90 sec active recovery between sets. I got delayed chatting to the coach about some upcoming local XC races so was chasing the others instead of warming up. Ended up with:

18:10 mins @ 10:40

12 mins @ 10:20

10 mins @ 10:27

4 mins @ 11:00 (cooldown)

Happy enough was was tired and it was very humid.

Wednesday 9th August Walk 3.76 miles

A gorgeous summer evening, the sun was out and it was warm, headed to the park for a walk and actually enjoyed this.

Thursday 10th August 32.18 mins, 3 miles @ 10:45

The rain was back so the club session moved to the industrial estate, it was cloudy and lashing as I headed over the in the car but when I got there, the rain had stopped and it already felt oppressively hot. Did some warm up stretches and a small group set off for 20 min warm up. By the first lap I was a puddle of sweat, yuck! The humidity was unreal, by the 3rd lap the sun had come out and was beating down on us. I already knew there'd be no speeding up. The session was 2 x 2 miles which is well beyond me anyway! Kept going at the same pace and when the watched beeped for 3 miles I pressed stop, saved the run and walked the rest of the lap back to my car. Always nice to be running with some company regardless and 3 miles is 3 miles! The forecast for Saturday is not great but I think I'll attempt the club hill session in Doneraile.

Thanks @lulublue22. They certainly do, hopefully you have many happy years yet with yours, what do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

A 13 yr old setter - whose my girl and a 1yr old golden-doodle whose rapidly becoming my boy despite both being bought as family pets 😂 Hard work at times but I wouldn’t be without them 💕 Hope you are doing ok

Friday 11th August, nothing. Was supposed to travel to Dublin for work but the trip was cancelled. Took a rest day.

Saturday 12th August 'The Beast' 55.34 mins, 5 miles @ 11:04

Up to Doneraile with the club. Thought I'd give this run another shot. Warm up miles followed by 1 lap of The Beast plus the upper meadow. I had been planning to try 2 laps but coach extended the lap by about 1/2 a mile to run around the hilly meadow where the open XC race will take place in a few weeks. Certainly answered the question as to whether I'd sign up 🤣. Felt great afterwards though. Ended up with:

27 mins warm up @ 10:30 2.58 miles

28 mins hill training @ 11:30 2.44 miles (elevation 123!)

Jogged back to the car and did a lap of the car park to bring to 5 miles. Had to walk a few times on the hiller sections and when I looked ahead I wasn't alone in that. Very hot and humid, had been lashing before I left the house but again no rain on the run and it would have been welcome.

Strava tells me my fitness has increased to 25. It was 15 on the day I did the couch to 5k graduation 5k on June 17th and 11 at Coole parkrun in May 6th so progress, whoop!

Sunday 13th August, 35 mins 3.14 miles @ 11:20

I'll have to rethink my Sunday run location as it's impossible to run in Doneraile without encountering a hill and while they are excellent for building strength, 2 days in a row is a recipe for injury...Nonetheless this was a lovely run, the sun was out and it was warm but not overly humid.

Week 1 | 9.5 miles | 1hr 40 mins running | 3 runs

Week 2 | 10.92 miles | 2hrs 5 mins running | 3 runs 

Week 3 | 11.86 miles | 2 hrs 7 mins running | 3 runs 

Week 4 | 11.9 miles | 2 hrs 11 mins | 3 runs 

Week 5 | 14.86 miles | 2 hrs 53 mins | 4 runs 

Week 6 | 11.72 miles | 2 hrs 9 mins | 3 runs - step back week

Week 7 | 14.3 miles | 2 hrs 24 mins | 4 runs including a race

Week 8 | 15.32 miles | 2 hrs 48 mins | 4 runs

• Advertisement

Monday 14th August Bike ride 16.5 miles

Summer has arrived #foronedayonly. Got a text from a friend who's moved back to the area to get out on the bikes so jumped at the opportunity. Lots of chats and a lovely spin.

Tuesday 15th August, yoga & stretches - I've been reading up more on Brad Beer (the author of You can run pain free) and he is a big advocate of calf raises & strengthening especially as you get older so I've been incorporating single leg raises and lots more single leg balancing work into my yoga routine and it's making a big difference. My knee pain is greatly reduced & hopefully that continues 🤞.

Tuesday 16th August 44 mins, 4 miles @ 10:59

No club training this week but the C25K graduate group agreed we'd still meet and just do an easy run around the park - on concrete for those who don't enjoy the grass session 😕. The group split into 2 so I did and out and back with 2 loops of the park with one of the lads, got back to the start and chatted with the others briefly before going back out around the pitches to round up the time and distance. My right hamstring has been niggling recently but yesterday was noticeably painful on the run. As soon as I went onto the grass it was much better. Beautiful evening and really enjoyable run.

Wednesday 16th August, Yoga am + 3 mile walk pm - a gorgeous summer evening

Thursday 17th August, strength training am + 46 mins run, 4 miles @ 11:26

Got some advice on the hamstring pain on the random running questions thread so did some strength work on it in the morning, could feel the benefit throughout the day. Out for a run with some clubmates in the evening, the first 2 miles on the slower end of things and the 2nd two miles with one of the guys, averaged out nicely for an easy run and the hamstring was perfect.

Friday 18th August, nothing, can't remember why!

Saturday 19th August, Tramore parkrun Waterford, 3.11 miles @ 10:20, my 150th parkrun!

A 6am start to my long day. When I got there the waves were crashing over the prom wall where the parkrun normally takes place but there was nothing on FB to suggest it was cancelled. Spotted the RD who confirmed they were going ahead with a change of route, a lap of the car park and 3 laps of the 'head'. I actually thought this was better that than the normal route! Finished in a time of 32.20 which is my best parkrun in a long time and I wasn't really trying, the wind was blowing from every angle!

There's a 5K race in September on Rockchapel that's apparently fast and flat, am going to throw my hat in the ring and see if I can do sub 30..

Followed this with a swim with Sanctuary Swimmers in Dunmore East, amazingly, a mere 20 min drive away the water was much calmer and just about swimmable, lovely and warm too! Really really enjoyed this. Finished my day with a brief walk in Lismore checking out the route with some new SR's.

Sunday 20th August, 40 mins, 3.5 miles @ 11:30

Up at 6.10am to get this in before heading on the train to Dublin for the day to see family. The only route available door to door is a forest trail that's both hilly and stony but the sun was just coming out and it was a really gorgeous morning. Would have preferred to get another .5 miles in but needed the loo and wanted a nice breakfast before hitting the road so let it go!

Followed up with another 4 miles walking from Heuston to Sandymount and sure why not on a beautiful summers day.

Week 9 | 14.6 miles | will work out later | 4 runs | plus 16.5 miles on the bike, a swim and 8.6 miles of walking

Monday 21st August, 16.8 mile cycle, 1hr 14 mins

Same route as last week but about 4 mins faster, felt great despite the hills. We haven't had the chance to do this at all really for most of the summer with the bad weather so it was a delight to be out again on a warm sunny evening. Happy days.

Tuesday 22nd August AM strength/stretch/foam roll. PM 4 miles @ 11:06

Slight change to my weekly structure. To avoid injury and keep increasing the mileage I'll focus on running easy on Tuesday's but still go to the club run for company and do the club session on Thursday, the longer hills in Doneraile on Saturday when I'm not working and more easy miles on a Sunday. I want to start building my long run and Saturday is the ideal time to do that. Enjoyed this, a lovely warm evening but the humidity seems to be less than it has been. Will make the most of these runs as it won't be long before we have to move to the industrial estate for the darker evenings.

Wednesday 25th August 15.6 mile cycle 1hr 13 mins

Another opportunity to get out in company but this time on 'my' route which is a whole lot tougher 😀. Some great speedy bits too but finishing on a very long hard drag home! Had a feeling I was going to pay for this at the club run on Thursday....

Thursday 24th August AM yoga & stretches, PM 35 mins running @ 10:04 3.46 miles

Club run. Instructions were 20 min warm up then 2 x 5 mins @ increased pace, I figured it wasn't enough so asked if we could do 3 x 5 mins! Ended up going out too fast despite multiple warnings not to 🤨 which meant the last rep was one lap of the pitch instead of 1.5 so not quite 3 x 5!! Still, thoroughly enjoyed this:

20 mins @ 10:55

5 mins @ 8:59

5 mins @ 9:21

3.13 mins @ 8.56

Friday 25th August - rest

Well, not really! 3 hours dancing at a gig in Limerick = 20,000 steps! not ideal prep for the Saturday run but but oh so much fun!

Saturday 26th August 1hr 6 mins, 6 miles @ 11:05 elevation gain 433ft...

It was well after midnight by the time I got home, munched through the most delicious bag of chips I've ever tasted and wound down from the gig but when my alarm went off at 7 I jumped up, made a large pot of coffee and had 1/4 bowl of porridge before heading to Doneraile for the club hill run. I had two goals today, one was to run 6 miles, the other was to do two laps of The Beast - tick & tick. Absolutely delighted with how this went, it was tough as hell but no stopping between the first and second reps of the hills and while I was slower going up the second time, I still did it. Something I could not do only a few weeks ago. I was tired for the rest of the day but still managed some gardening and housework between bouts of sitting on the couch 😀.

Sunday 27th August, recovery run, 3 miles @ 11:28

I found what looks like a really brilliant trail race in London in October that finishes right beside my cousins house and I was contemplating signing up for it but...it's 25km long! So I found a plan that would bring me from where I currently am to 25km in 7 weeks and this was week 1. While I was thrilled with yesterday's run, I'm shattered. Today should have been 4.5 miles but a mile into the run I knew it wasn't happening and nor will the 25km trail run - it'll be there next year and if I'm sensible with my training I'll be fit and well able by then.

Week 9 | 14.6 miles | 2hrs 42 mins | 4 runs | plus 16.5 miles on the bike, a swim and 8.6 miles of walking

Week 10 | 16.46 miles | 3 hours | 4 runs | two 15+ mile bike rides

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sounds wise, it's brilliant to have a goal but you've been progressing so well recently that it would be a shame to rush it. Hopefully you can find some shorter trail/road races in the meantime to keep things interesting for yourself? You're doing so well, progressing week in week out.

• Advertisement

Thanks E, yes I definitely want to stick with the progression and stay injury free so patience it will have to be... having said that (!), coach sent on a list of events between now and the end of the year and another plan is hatching.. There's a half marathon in Waterford on December 2nd so I think I'll focus my training on doing that, not for a PB, just do run the distance and along the way there are local 5k, 10k and 10 mile races that fit into the plan nicely. That gives me 14 weeks of training plan with the average mileage building from where I am now to the mid 20's so still progressing sensibly I think 🤞.

Monday 28th August, Walk 2.81 miles

Was feeling tired after the weekend and was headed for the couch but realised I won't have the opportunity to go for these walks over the winter so will take every chance! Shorts & tshirt weather and a good headspace walk.

Tuesday 29th August Club session 4.49 miles @ 10:55, 49 mins

This was absolutely brilliant! Session was 20 mins warm up then 8 x 3 mins with 1 min recoveries. Coach suggested 5 reps for the C25K graduates so that's what we did. Came back after the warm up which was 21 mins and did the strides with the main group and then lined up at the back of the (large) group to start the first 3 mins. I was expecting myself and A to be dropped early on lap 1 but we weren't. I could have gone faster actually but could I maintain that speed for 4 more? Yes! On the last 2 reps I passed out two girls as we were on the back straight. I definitely could have done 1 more rep, probably two. We were really delighted to have kept with the main group for all of these, fitness score up to 27! I walked the 1 min recoveries. Splits were:

21 mins warm up @ 11:22

3:43 mins strides @ 10:22

3 mins, .34 distance @ 9:09

3 mins, .34 distance @ 8:55

3 mins, .34 distance @ 8:53

3 mins, .34 distance @ 8:53

3 mins, .34 distance @ 8:59

5 min cooldown

Wednesday 30th August, Yoga, foam rolling & stretches and a sociable walk with some friends

Thursday 31st August, 3.14 miles, 35 mins @ 11:18

Drove into town for the club run but was just running easy miles, it's nicer with company! A warm evening still, lots of chats and very enjoyable.

Friday 1st September - Rest

Or at least that was the plan until the farmer behind me came along to cut the hedges at the back of the house making my view of the setting sun even more gorgeous. Who needs a gym when you can pull briars, uproot giant weeds and gather the cut branches off the ground, all while watching this happen....

Saturday 2nd September, 1 hr 8 mins - 6 miles @ 11:21 Club Hills.

Up to Doneraile for the hills session. I haven't been feeling 100% the last few days and some broken sleep too. Feels like I'm coming down with something but it's not developing past a few sneezes. Anyway, met the crew at 8.30 and instructions were 35 mins warm up and 35 mins on the beast. I had notions of attempting 3 laps this week but talked myself into being sensible and aim for 2 again. I don't have to be doing more every single time and this felt a good bit harder than last week. While the temperature was lower I think humidity was very high and I noticed a lot of others sweating heavily too. Splits were:

33 mins warm up @ 10:45

25 mins on the beast @ 11:30

10 min cool down @ 12:33 (walked the last 2 mins of this)

I was wrecked after this to be completely honest. Went home, had scrambled eggs, peas, toast & tea and promptly went back to bed which only served to remind me of Woody's absence as he'd normally curl up beside me & keep me company. The grief comes in waves and today was particularly bad. Made arrangements to meet a friend for a cycle tomorrow so I'll have to see if I'm up to running first or just cut the miles and go for a sociable spin.

Sunday 3rd September, 32 mins, 3.1 miles @ 10:31

Feeling better after a day of rest and woke early so decided to go to the club long run and see the lie of the land. I only had 3 miles on the plan today but I stayed with the group for about 2.5 of them before taking a turn that would be bring me back while they went on with their 8 miles. Most of them are doing Charleville next weekend and a few are training for Dublin too. I was nervous rocking up but luckily some of the women I've met on the Saturday runs were there and to be fair, everyone is very welcoming. Really glad I went! Hit the watch at 5k and walked the .7 mile back to the car. I'd already gone over my miles for the week and it was a beautiful morning for a cooldown stroll. Still planning to go for a cycle later but now, those weeds won't pull themselves 🤨.

The Plan

Subject to many things but here's what I'm hoping to do over the next few months. It's a Hal Higdon half marathon plan that I've adjusted to suit. I'm not 100% set on Rockchapel, I might just do a parkrun to test where I am rather than a club race which is brand new on the calendar and could well see me last over the line. Also trying to learn KM's 😀 have garmin set in miles and strava set to KM's in an effort to go bi lingual..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah, I love a good spreadsheet. I assume that's the Waterford half that starts/finishes at the IT? I did it a good few years ago, it was a good one. Best of luck with the plan, it looks doable and you are always very conscientious about the cross training with stands to you.

I feel like a grown up runner again with plans and what not 😃. Yes that's the one. Apparently it goes through the City (which I've never visited!). There are no time goals for any of the races other than the 5K so it's all just to keep me focused on something positive and moving forward 🤞

Hopefully I can do the half without taking any gels, reading your (and others) updates does not make me want to rush out and buy any 🤢.

Monday 4th September, 2.79 miles evening stroll in the evening summer sun 😍

Tuesday 5th September, Morning yoga + club session, 45 mins, 4.21 miles @ 10:47 😰

This weather is unreal! I'm not complaining, we will have a long cold winter so soaking up the rays whenever I can. Tried to make sure I was drinking enough water throughout the day. Session again was 20 mins warm up then 8 * 3 mins with 1 min jog/walk recoveries. I did 5 last week so was hoping for 6 this week. Started off on the warm up and almost immediately felt terrible, this isn't unusual for me early in a run but it didn't really settle. I could feel the moisture content in the air I was sucking in, I can't run in humidity - some people love it! Anyway, warm up completed we did some strides which I also really struggled with and just did 3 sets. Into the field and lined up for the first 3 mins which came in at 9:11, not far off the first one last week but felt way harder and it went downhill from there. Only managed 4. Some days you just don't have it.

20 mins warm up @ 10:55

3 mins, .33 distance @ 9:11

2:58 mins, .32 distance @ 9:15

3.01 mins, .33 distance @ 9:18

3 mins, .30 distance @ 10:12

7 mins cooldown @ 10:40

Wednesday 6th September, Strength & Conditioning class 1 hour 😧

The club have arranged for a 6 week class so I signed up as I have been very remiss with the weights. Oh my god..... straight in at full tilt, no 'beginners' class to get us going, we were all banjaxed! It wasn't jumping around (thankfully) it was all weights based squats, lunges, single leg bridges etc. I'll be choosing my weights more carefully next week! Delighted though as I could really see where my weakness is and hopefully this will help all the little niggles I've been managing.

Thursday 7th September, 3 miles easy

Had a work meeting so couldn't make the club run, squeezed this in between meetings and headed to Doneraile for the tree cover. Also collected Woody's ashes from the vet today so it was nice to run in the park he loved thinking of him. Unfortunately the little wooden box is sealed shut so I can't scatter them as planned.

Legs felt heavy after the S&C last night and it was stinking hot so the pace was sloooow but still, 3 miles ticked off. I've decided to do the full Saturday hill session every 2nd week and do a longer Sunday run on the weeks I don't do the full hill session if that makes sense. Given the heat warning for Saturday, this seems like a good week to just do the warm up although Charleville is on Sunday and I want to go up and support. Will figure it out!

Saturday 9th September, 5.6 miles @ 11:08

Looked at the plan again and decided I would never do 6 miles on my own tomorrow so decided I'd do the warm up with the club and go from there. Very few there this morning due to Charleville tomorrow, I don't envy anyone taking part! My usual slower group were not there either. Did the warm up miles and went up to the meadow to suss it out and promptly ran back out again and just did the rest of the run on the flattest paths I could find! Some nice shelter there from the sun to but the nice cool air that was there when we started disappeared and it was hot. Legs felt tired, body felt tired so after a bathroom pitstop to splash cold water on my hot head, I decided I'd have to live with 5.6 miles instead of 6. The park was absolutely gorgeous in the September light with a beautiful mist along the meadows. I am so lucky to have this on my doorstep.

Sunday 10th September 3.51 recovery miles

Up early to do this in the forestry trails beside my house so I could head to Charleville and do some race supporting. A hilly route, total elevation 134m. I must run it in reverse next time as I've a feeling there's more climbing that way around... Just me and the rabbits out and loads of spider webs in the fir trees, it was still very warm at that hour, very glad not to be running a half marathon today..

11 miles on the bike around Charleville and out & back to the 3.5/10ish mile mark where the course loops. Lots of club mates out running, a great crew of Sanctuary Runners too and great to see the artist formally known as FerrisB getting a PB in very tough conditions. Runners passing at the 3.5 mile point already looked like they were struggling, a death march for many on the return bit when the passed again at 10 miles. Makes me wonder what I'm thinking signing up for Waterford!! Heavy rain then on my drive home so perfect timing!

Week 2 completed

Monday 11th September, Yoga, stretches & foam rolling

Tuesday 12th September Club session, 4 miles, 44 mins @ 10:51

Planning to race Rockchapel 5k on Friday and see if I can go sub 30, it's a fair while since I've been able to do that and it would be a nice marker for the training so coach suggested 3 x 3 mins after the warm up instead of the session prescribed which was 12 mins, 10 mins, 8 mins 6 mins! Splits were

25 mins warm up @11.15

3 mins .36 distance @ 8:30

3 mins .36 distance @ 8:30

3 mins .34 distance @ 8:55

Cool down 7 mins @ 10:29

A good bit faster than the last few of these in particular last week. Got stuck in a bit of traffic for the last one with the others doing longer stuff. The goal pace for Friday is 9:39 min miles so looking back at all the paces recently they've all been under that so in theory, I should be able...! Sun setting as I was finishing, dark when I got home 😥. Otherwise really enjoyable with lots of chat about Charleville.

Wednesday 13th September 4.34 miles, 50 mins @ 11:30

Decided to skip the S&C in favour of some easy miles. The latest weather warning may mean my plans for Rockchapel on Friday might be out the window. Lets see! A slow run with my new running friends who are targeting similar races over the rest of the year. Enjoyable but a bit tired after a few nights waking at 4am. Hopefully with the heat dying down that will rectify 🤞.

Best of luck with the 5k A. I hope the weather plays ball 🤞

Thursday 14th September, rest

Friday 15th September, rest...

With a close eye on the weather, I made the call not to drive the hour over to Rockchapel for the 5K. I'm not averse to running in the rain but was more concerned with the state of the roads after 24 hours constant rain and then I'd be driving home, still in heavy rain and the dark. Madness especially given the likelihood it would all be speedy club runners taking part. Decided I'd rock up to parkrun in the morning instead and surely I'd have as much chance of reaching my goal on a course I know like the back of my hand - hill & all! Spent the day moving furniture (still settling in 5 months later!) and hanging pictures.

Saturday 16th September, Mallow Castle parkrun, 3.1 miles @ 9:11 in 28:26 😍

Absolutely delighted this with this. The training is paying off, being consistent and sticking to a plan, I mean who knew 🤷. Arrived early, too early to even start my warm up! Chatted with some of the crew and then headed off for a slow jog including drills and strides. Lined up in the middle of the group and off we went. The first 200m are downhill so I used this to my advantage. Had the watch on average pace but no looking yet. Into the park and onto the flat the pace felt comfortable. Into the park proper and checked the pace, screen read 8:06 but I figured there's no real point in worrying about that until after the 1st mile has beeped. When the beep came, Mile 1 8:47 flashed up. Ok, faster than planned but I feel ok. G passed me somewhere on the first mile and she was breathing really heavily. I knew her last parkrun time was 30 mins so I didn't want to let her get to far ahead in case that's what she was running today.

I know I'll struggle in the last mile if I keep this up so pull back a little but a mini race of sorts has begun between G, me and another regular, M. I am running the racing line which, on a winding park path means I'm crossing from corner to corner. I'm sure I was driving them nuts but hey, today it IS a race! Around to the bridge to start the second lap and shout out from a clubmate who was marshalling & knew my goal. Mile 2 beeps 9:04. I just have to keep going for another 9 or 10 mins then it's all over. I was feeling it now. My right leg/hamstring buzzing and was struggling with my breathing, the lactate was starting to accumulate. I adjusted my stride a bit and deliberately slowed again - I knew I was going to get a sub 30 and it was just a matter of how much time I would leak on the last mile as to how much over it would be and taking into account the 200m UPHILL finish..

Mile 3 beeped 9:35. G & M both pass me as we go uphill into the castle grounds - let them go AM, just focus on pumping your arms and legs. You've run bigger hills in Doneraile. up the hill around the corner to the finish line, calling for the time as I cross the line to hear 28:XX - whoop!!!! .58 for the last bit.

Ok, I know the goal was 9:39 a mile so zero marks for sticking with the plan but I was comfortable on that first mile and not terribly uncomfortable on the 2nd mile. The 3rd mile hurt but so it should! One of my club mates went to the race last night & he said it was dry in Rockchapel but that the route was slightly downhill for 2.5km and then a drag back the same way for 2.5km. There were about 7 or 8 runners between 29 - 31 mins there so I wouldn't have been on my own. Good to know for future events. Off home, tired but very happy.

Hoping to make the club long run tomorrow.

Post edited by Annie get your Run on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Fairplay AM, you smashed that goal time there! That's great for the confidence and shows the progress being made. That 1st mile and 2nd mile, a good indication there's more to come...sub 28 next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Destroyed that target. 💪Well done and recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely thrilled to read this on Strava, well done! No stopping you now💪😊

Sunday 17th September, 4.37 miles @ 11:11

Met the others from the club at 8.30, they were doing 8 miles, 4 miles out & 4 back. I thought I had 4 miles on the plan. Headed off with lots of chat and it felt so easy I briefly considered doing the full 8 miles until my brain kicked in and I realised that's the sort of stupidity that stops you in your tracks 🤨. Both knees were niggling and as of this evening, are sore. So straight back on the rehab train tomorrow! Enjoyable run. Next week is a slight step back week.

Steady progress over the last 13 weeks

Ah brilliant, enjoy that buzz, you really did smash the target, great going!

Mind the niggles, 5ks are hard on the body, for me that extra little bit of stride length just really challenges my hamstrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Well done on the goal!

Monday 18th Sept, yoga + 4.5km walk

Much needed stretches, strength work on the right hamstring in the morning followed by a lovely walk in the evening. Knees feeling better but I really need to get to a physio to sort out my right hip/tfl/hamstring niggle!

Tuesday 19th September lunchtime 5km @ 6.56 in 34 mins

Reading back on strava which is set to KM's in an effort to figure them out 😀. Knew I'd be missing club training for a work thing and thought I'd go early in the morning but woke to rain and wind so back under the duvet instead. No other option then but to go at lunchtime which meant 18 degrees, sunny and humid. The weather is bonkers. We are doing this to ourselves of course but as long as nothing changes we will continue to suffer the consequences. Anyway, ran the trail near my house in reverse this time, I think it is marginally easier that way round but a poor nights sleep coupled with the heat meant that while the pace was easy, the effort for the second half of the run was not. Stopped the watch at 5k and walked the rest of the .84km home as my cooldown. Out again later for a SR group walk in Bruff 2.45 miles.

Wednesday 20th September 4.2 miles in 47 mins @ 11:03 + 1 hour Strength & Conditioning class

Will miss tomorrow's club training for another work thing so took the chance to run with a clubmate around Mallow, she wanted to do 5 miles but I had S&C at 8.30 so we did a route that saw me back at my car with 10 mins to spare & do a quick wardrobe change and she did her last mile solo. By stark contrast to yesterday, this felt very easy and enjoyable. Followed by 1 hour S&C.

Thursday 21st September Rest.

Friday 22nd September 4 miles, 44 mins @ 10:56

Away for the weekend in London and had looked at some routes that would allow me run from Leyton Flats into Epping Forest. Got lost on the way to the start point and while I had started out in 20 degrees and sun, a massive black cloud arrived and dumped a lot of rain! Luckily it didn't last but I was soaked! Eventually found my route and continued through the trail that would bring me to Epping but unfortunately it was now a sodden marsh and I was wearing my Asics Novablast which were a bad idea in hindsight! Turned around back to base and finished the run in the much closer Wanstead Flats where I'd be doing parkrun the next day. Pity, but still had a lovely run through Leytonstone town and Wanstead Flats even if not the planned 5 miles.

Saturday 23rd September, 4.2 miles including Wanstead Flats parkrun 32.18 mins @ 10:23

I've done this parkrun before and it's right on my cousins doorstep so out the door to do 1 mile warm up to make up for the missed mile yesterday and around to the start line with just a few mins to spare. This parkrun gets about 250 so much bigger crowd than I'm used to. Very friendly and lots of birthday/wedding/milestone call outs - no visitor mentions though! It's two laps starting in a field and then onto the narrow trails of the park so I settled in behind the large group that were in front of me and just ticked along. There are only a couple of places you can pass so if you're racing, you need to go out front! Enjoyed this, a lovely cool morning to start with but was warm on the last mile!

Followed by another 4 miles walking around London City with my cousin seeing sites I haven't visited since I was a child. We stopped for a coffee at one point and ended up in a cafe that roast their own beans to order and send them along ducts overhead and into the machine - there was lots of eye rolling and talk of over engineering I mean it just a coffee right? Turned out to be hands down the best coffee I have ever had in my life!!

Lots of switching around of the plan this week which is a o.k. and there will be more next week with another busy weekend ahead. Catching up on Strava seeing lots of great results coming in from the Dublin half and Berlin - well done to everyone on a very warm day.

• Advertisement

Monday 25th September, walk 3 miles

I was planning to run today in an effort to front load my week as I likely won't get anything done at the weekend. Arrived at the park to realise my watch had 19% battery left and I'd forgotten a belt for my phone. The fact that both of these irritated me reminded me I was still very tired after the weekend so decided to walk instead. Beautiful evening for it. No yoga this morning either as opted for an extra 30 mins in bed.

Tuesday 26th September 4 miles, 45 mins @ 11:13

Had a work thing in the evening so was going to miss club training. Out at lunchtime for this in the glorious sunshine.......until it disappeared and I was soaked to the skin in the first mile! I should probably just start wearing my hat all the time just in case! Sun came back out thankfully! Enjoyed this thoroughly.

Wednesday 27th September, nothing.

Watched storm Agnes from inside, the only exercise I got was chasing my garden furniture as it whizzed passed my office window - mid call! Roads flooded everywhere so didn't attempt the drive to the S&C class. Also felt like I was coming down with something so sipped a few lemsips.

Thursday 28th September club run 5 miles, 51 mins @ 10:09

The plan here was to do my longer run today of 6 miles, knowing I wouldn't have time at the weekend but the best laid plans etc. etc. First club run in ages! Feeling my age++ after recent travel & busy days so ended up not quite what it should have been.

20 mins warm up @ 10:30 followed by

.53 mile in 4.41 and

.53 mile in 4:34.

Surprised to see the second lap faster than the first, certainly didn't feel faster! Anyway, should have run these slower so I could do more, 4 to be precise but hey ho. Followed up with another 2 miles @ 10:30. Ended up with 5 miles instead of 6 but enjoyed being back running with a group albiet in our winter location, a local industrial estate.

Friday 29th September, 3.5 miles, 38 mins @ 11:05

My parents 61st wedding anniversary. Neither of them are here to celebrate but I always remember the date. Out after lunch to get a few miles in depending on how I felt. Still tired, still something lingering and hopefully it stays in the background at least until the weekend is over! Into the town park to try out my new shoes. Just a new version of my old Reebok Floatride 3's (new ones are 5's). Got back to the car at 3.5 miles so left it at that.

Mileage way down with just 12.5 instead of 16 but I'll be on my feet for 5 hours on Sunday so it's probably unrealistic to get the 4 miles done but I won't rule it out completely yet.

Advertisement