Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

🤣

Why on earth won't van Hooydonck give him a twist. Lord above

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I didn't think that it was possible for a team to have tactics that annoyed me more than Sky. Jumbo have done well this Tour, but this is very unlikable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Jumbo still won’t ride with extra riders away now , pathetic.

Just texted a mate of mine saying the same thing. I hate Jumbo Visma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Unless he's doing it for Laporte. But still.

Whatever happens I really hope it's not Philipsen who wins. Odds on that are pretty small but basically anyone but Philipsen for me. Even Laporte🤣

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Te be honest after several km of them sitting at the front drinking champagne and slapping each other's back they should have sat back and stayed out of it. Van Barle there just killed himself to bring them back. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Pog would be confused without a jumbo jersey behind him!

How come the other sprint teams don't let alpecin work to being the break back, they're getting a free ride for now.

Ya. I can't understand this. It's not like 2nd place matters, and bringing Philipsen to the line pretty much guarantees they'll be fighting for 2nd

• Advertisement

I think Bora???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Meeus out of absolute nowhere after being completely anonymous all tour. Fair play to him

I'd be delighted if he done it but that was close. He had huge pressure after being called in to replace Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A wild Meeus appears!

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

That's going to make things a little awkward round here 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Meeus justifies his selection with a single throw of the bike. Delighted for him given the questioning of his selection and ability when he was named in the team.

Ya I think Bora were justified not bringing Bennett based on his performance this year but sadly for Sam this confirms it

Hopefully Sam can ride the Veulta

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Morris Garren

Yeah, brilliant tactics from Meeus to spend 22 days completely non-existent in the race and then pop up to win the most prestigious sprint finish. If he were a racehorse, the trainer and jockey would be pulled by the ear half way across the road to explain the amazing improvements 😀

He had four top 10s and got switched into the barriers on another stage. Not exceptional but actually better than Sam's TdF debut I think?

The Eurosport interviews with random riders as they pass by are really entertaining. The riders are so relaxed now that the slog is over and are very open. Sagan is soooo done with the Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fair play to Meuss, absolutely delighted for him. Still not convinced it justified not bringing Bennett but for Meuss it is brilliant. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭this.lad

They weren't getting much drama out of him to be fair.

62km/hr Mohoric crossed the line on the stage he won. That's after sprinting from about 350m (or thereabouts). 27s out of the saddle at full gas. Mindboggling.

Do you think Bennet would have won multiple stages if brought?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well that’s that lads. It’s been a pleasure. I did absolutely shite in the league. But enjoyed interacting with he all.

see yis all for the Vuelta thread!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Special thanks to eagle eye and Squidgy Black ( and anyone else I've forgotten) for posting up the stage info each day.

Well, yes and no. iMHO, Bora had planned for GC, hoping that they would be a surprise. That fell apart after a reasonable start. They were never going to provide Bennett or Meuss with proper support. I think Bennett could have went either way but he would have provided more competition for Green than most there, so it's certainly possible he would have one or two, if not more but for Bora, he wins a stage early it would highlight their lack of support (which all the other teams would know anyway).

Either way, fair f*cks to Meuss, that was a great sprint and a great win. One thing to win a sprint stage, another to get around the tour and win one against people whose teams were targeting it. Genuinely over the moon for him. Anyone talking about doing nothing for 20 stages, Jesus, getting around 20 stages in the time limit is a feat for most elite cyclists. It's an epic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Stall the ball, what about the pointless analysing and criticising of each team performance

Jumbo - Controlled the race won with ease but did not get a Wout stage win. Got what they needed from the Tour. Grade A

UAE - The plan was to win the tour with Tadej and ultimately unsuccessful but team was improved. Ended up with 3 stage wins as well as 2nd and 3rd overall but failed in number one objective Grade B+

Bahrain - 3 stage wins with 3 different riders and a 6th place overall.More than they could have expected even with Landa firing blanks, Bauhaus also consistent in the early sprints . Grade B+

INEOS - 2 Stage wins and 5th in GC. Realistically this is as much as they could have expected but not what a team of their budget aspires to. They should be content but question marks remain. I will give Pidcock's grand tour credentials a pass until after the olympics and doubtful if Bernal can recover his form and if that form is good enough to compete for GC in a grand tour again. Grade B-

Groupama FDJ - Meh the Pinot / Gaudu combination didn't work but you can't argue against bringing Pinot for a farewell tour, rode solidly. As for Gaudu he was a long way off being able to compete. Grade C

AG2R - Ben O'Connor failed to deliver on their GC ambitions but tried valiantly and emptied himself in support of Gall later on who spared their blushes in the final week with a very impressive showing. Grade B

Bora Hansgrohe - It was in hindsight a weak squad and under-performed for most of the tour but have two stage wins, a day in yellow and a top 10. Meeus' win on Champs Elysee bumps them up a grade. Grade B-

Cofidis - 2 stage wins, overall top 10 and a solid performance by Coquard in the sprints. Grade A

Team Jayco AlUla - Entered the tour looking at stage wins and a shot at the overall podium. Fell short of both so it has to be a disappointment. Grade C

Israel Premier Tech - Michael Woods stage win on the Puy de Dome saves the tour for them, realistically a team like theirs needs to invest in a sprinter to have an impact. Credit also to Kris Neilands for his efforts in the breaks. Grade B-

Movistar - Losing Mas on Day 1 meant they really should have packed up and gone home. Jorgensen showed glimpses but ultimately was also struggling before he went home. Grade D but unlucky

Arkea-Samsic - Gugliemi got in a few breaks but nothing else Grade D

Team DSM-Firmenich - Not a fan of the team anyway but seriously underperformed in all aspects. Bardet was a loss but was heading backwards before his crash Grade D

Lidl-Trek - Bit of a mixed bag, I actually expected more from them but when the chips were down they got a stage win and the KOM jersey and were always visible throughout. Skjelmosse didn't have it for GC this time but dug deep to help out the team Grade B-

Lotto Dstny - Caleb was there or thereabouts in the sprints but you could sense there were issues in the team before they abandoned him ( or he abandoned them depending on your sources) Lots of unhappy 2nd tier sprinters looking for a new home next year but Lotto will likely be all in on De Lie. Campanaerts always animates without getting the results he deserves and the team ended up with 3 second places in very different terrain. Grade C-

Total Energies - Anonymous Grade D

Uno X - Probably a year too late for Kristoff and a year too early for some of the other riders. Justified selection and hopefully improve squad for next year. Grade C

Alpecin - 4 stage wins two seconds and a green jersey would immediately have you thinking Grade A+ but I think they left a little behind them a few missed opportunities. Might be a little harsh but Grade A-

Soudal Quick Step - Jakobsen's crash was a major setback and it rarely happens that a rider can shake off a major crash like and recover to be competitive within the same grand tour. Alaphilippe obviously tried hard but is obviously lacking the top end from a few years ago. Asgreen saved some blushes late on in Stages 18 and 19 but still not good enough. Grade C+

Astana Qazaqstan - It was all about Cavendish and with losing him and Leon Sanchez in the space of a couple of days killed the Tour de France for them. Grade D

Intermarche Circus Wanty - Grmay never looked like challenging the sprints and Meintjes was already struggling for a decent GC position before his crash Grade D

EF Education Easypost - Carapaz' crash was a big loss but the team still underperformed massively, a squad of Powless, Uran, Bettiol, Cort and Amador should have done much better. Powless' attempt at polka dots doesn't count as any form of redemption. Grade E (One of the worst performing teams in the Tour given the calibre of rider)

Overall you can get a gauge for team performances by the number of UCI points collected by each team during the Tour. The performances sort of tally with my grades with the exception of Jayco ALUla who i still think underperformed even if they got a reasonable haul of points while Alpecin, AG2R and Cofidis overperformed relative to expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Total Energies review is hilariously accurate.

They could have done a "Pinot" with Sagan by just getting him in some breaks but there seemed to be no interest.

• Advertisement

Seen the interview with Sagan after and I thought he had just been brought in for a sound bite, hadn't even realised he was racing.

Advertisement