Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭JRant

UAE are still a poor GC team. Questionable tactics, poor road positioning like you mention. I’ve seen more than once where Pog would be the first man of his team in the peloton with his teammates all behind him. There were times in the first two weeks where they had the chance to take the pace out of the peloton and allow Pog some more recovery time. Yet, they got on the front and went foot to the floor. They were trying to out Jumbo, Jumbo and it’s a crazy tactic when you look at the respective lineups of both teams.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You do wonder about Vingegaard. Why not attack there before the top assuming he wants the stage. Absolutely nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Exactly what I was thinking. How does he expect to win this stage. Zero attempt so far. Looks like a simple sprint win from Pogacar.

You can’t suck a wheel if you attack though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ya his tactic watching Podge is bizarre. Anyone but Vinge to win the stage I hope!

Gall and both Yates brothers have been great to watch this tour.

Good man Pog and fair play to Yates. They played that to perfection.

Looking at today and it just reinforces my opinion that Pog just emptied himself in the TT and paid a big price the following day. I’d say the TT hurt him more psychologically than physically as well. Imagine putting in a ride that good and getting blown away like that. It must be tough to get over something like that in such a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,566 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would have broken the TV if he did.

He followed Gall the whole way up so I assume it was a deal. Gall deserved those points.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm confused. What would the deal be? Hey Gall I won't attack so you can have second in the Polkadot and I can.....stay 7 minutes ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Not Vingo's problem if Gall was riding like a dunce. For a couple of decades now, Kelly has been telling us " In order to win, you must be prepared to lose". Gall obviously had the legs to be in with a shout. His head was somewhere else though.

Ya very true. I was thinking about historically in that situation rather than the real race situation.

I was already very much in the VdP camp vs WvA in the classics and after this Tour I'm really developing a dislike for Jumbo. Not that they do anything wrong just they seem to constantly be against anyone I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They were joking on Eurosport commentary that Ving looks around for Pog under the bed at night :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I would have had no problem if all the fans blocked the road after Pinot came through, sealing the win!

Kuss looked rough at the end, fell out of the top 10

I don't think he normally wears glasses, from what I could see of the medical car he needed them to hold the bandage in place. Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Delighted Pog won, finishes a tough week for him on a high. Ving might have won the tour well in the end, but, without Pog the race would have been so much duller. I suppose the difference between them is Pog attacks at every opportunity he can, while Ving is much more measured and calculated. Today was a free hit for Ving, but, yet didn't attack, he had nothing to lose, but, waited until the end and was inevitably beaten by Pog, not sure what his thinking was there, maybe he was hoping to out sprint Pog at the end to totally demoralise him, surely as the strongest rider in the race, he should have attacked earlier. Pog risen from the dead!

Re JV attacking, i honestly think that the negative press that the TT performance got affected jonas, and him attacking and winning again would have brought further spotlight and accusations. So he kept an eye on pog, but didnt attack.

Rodrigues had a tough day as well

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Yeah I found it very frustrating watching the last climb today and seeing Vingegard constantly looking over his shoulder - for what! - not to mention I've no idea what Gall thought he was doing. At that point rather than looking over his shoulder he could have either have given it a go himself or just let the other off. Glad Pogacar won the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Going back to this from a few days ago. Yes, 100%. He would sicken your @rse. He sucks the life out of the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Pino's effort was a great sporting moment. The genuine, unbridled support he recieved on the 'petit ballon' was fantastic to see. The guy gave it all he had and a bit more. For a few minutes I thought they'd let him have it.

Anyone that's trained and raced half way seriously can't but be humbled by the commitment of these guys. It really is superhuman stuff. Cycling and rowing are the true tests of balls and brawn.

When Gall caught Vinge & Podge they were steering each other down. I think his only option was to ride as they were only going to mark out each other which would allow the others catch up. I suppose it was his best chance of a stage win.

I'd love to know what was said between Gall & Vinge on top of the final climb?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That was my thinking, he knew if he stopped they would slow greatly as both would be confident of the win from most of the chasers. By him keeping going, he hoped it would remain a 3 up sprint. He might get lucky and JV marks Pog, he either follows or gets away by pure luck in the last few 100m. Either way, he was aiming to secure a podium with an outside shot at winning the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

That is bullshit. He attacked on stage 5,14 and 15. Countered everything Pog had to throw at him. Put on a masterclass of a TT and then on stage 17 put on a masterclass of a climbing performance, dropped everybody and cycled through the break like they were stopped.

The only other attacks that happened this race were breakaways or Pog going for bonus seconds. Maybe if JV had attacked more he would not have had the strength for the TT and stage 17. While he looks like a robot I'm pretty sure he's not.

Also people complaining the tour was over after 16/17. When is the tour not already over by that day? There was only 1 more chance for Pog anyway.

Apparently Jonas said he is going to the Vuelta alongside Rog!

Rog/Jonas vs Remco vs Ayuso (+ Pog???)

Just what we need. Another foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

To me it looked like Vingegaard was telling Gall that he would do turns with him. He was making the "do turns" hand gesture anyway. I imagine he also wanted their group to remain at 3. I didn't see him make much of an effort though after that. So who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Ciccone must have following this thread, he has gone all out today- bike, pedals and garmin all added to the rest of his ensemble

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Now I remember why I don't watch the tour on ITV4. Ad breaks go on forever

• Advertisement

Pog attacks but Jumbo on the ball and look to have successfully protected their 7 minute lead.

Advertisement