Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Incorrect pal, what boils peoples piss around here is the fact that RTE, a fiefdom of its own, drove a coach and four through the normal mores of running a company funded by the taxpayer .

We have heard of charitable companies and NGOs self aggrandising themselves on charitable donations, but one could reasonably opine the RTE did the same on John Q Taxpayers dollar.

The nepotism, the side deals, the inflated for no reason emolument ,the redundancy packages, the corporate spending....one could go on.

The allowing of one dude, almost, to control who did what and what gig was allocated to whom.

And you wonder why its kinda "fun to read" about someone who ostensibly put a match to to the fuse which kicked the whole thing off?

Id take a look at my self if that was my take on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,608 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Which is why he got caught out so badly by his own financial fiasco.

He was a property speculator, what caught him out was greed and stupid investments.

I have no doubt we all lost money paying back his folly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think that was a reference to him (Gaybo) being shafted by an accountant back in the 1980's. It only came to light after the accountant passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭supereurope

Russell Murphy, who was more than Gay's accountant, he was one of his closest friends. That must have made the betrayal so much worse. Russell Murphy's nephew Eoghan is the former FG TD.

I only recently found out that Todd Andrews (Tub's grandfather) hated Gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Yes, was referring to Russell Murphy case.

Two little pieces worth a read;

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/04/28/eamonn-kelly-the-ryan-line/

I'm sure back in 2013, the irony of Todd Andrew's grandson, sitting in his old hot seat and congratulating him on the decades long success of the Late Late show which he built, was certainly not lost on Gay.

My favourite bit, on hearing of his grandfather's infamous "fire that fucker Byrne" remark on Day1 of his tenure as chairman of the RTE Authority, Ryan Tubridy's response was to say he was shocked his grandad would ever utter a profanity!

What an inane tosspot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You do know that 50% of this thread is about the mismanagement of RTÉ and that the thread has "Tubridy" in the title.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Largely people see beyond Tubs the scandal is about RTÉ's mismanagement, if you'd listened to Liveline you'd think it was only about him leaving TLLS.

______

Yesterday

I read that in a news article, not good for PK. Another TLLS episode with a connection to DWTS via Jenny Z and Arthur.

I expected a Christmas music type end of year show, even if pre-recorded.

______

Yesterday

I imagine that was only if Tubs was to return to air, once BK walked out of the negotiations that was dropped very quickly. If anything RTÉ will possible be happy to avoid any sight of legal proceedings, I suspect now that Tubs has no interest in legal action. While I hate to say it but @Gregor Samsa has made clear points and makes the case well that Tubs and his agent agreed a contract and it was RTÉ's mismanagement of the payments that caused the problems. RTÉ are at fault.

I do think RTÉ were right not to bring him back due to these issues, I don't think on a moral level Ryan Tubridy has a leg to stand on, there were clearly things he should have done to correct the record and there are clearly things he shouldn't say.

______

Yesterday

And it is up to RTÉ, CnaM and the Government to ensure that RTÉ are up to scratch. RTÉ staff would want to start looking at the content and service provided by RTÉ and how they sat through 7 years with Dee Forbes at the helm and didn't notice how badly run RTÉ was during that period. The license fee payer, the public, the audience and dare I say it the Government are not the cause of job losses at RTÉ... that lies squarely at RTÉ management.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

FFS. Anyone who answers the door these days to someone they are not expecting is looking for trouble. A shout from a window maybe if you are curious. And never give your name to anyone at the door, not even a guard, No one has a right to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

And if Tubridy immediately handed back the 150k he'd still be on a well paid cushy number in RTE. You have to admit he shot himself in both feet and it cost him a well paid job.

But as night follows day, Tubridy will be back knocking on the RTE door within a few years looking for his old job back, once he realises working in private radio for a much smaller salary is actually hard work.

And the 150k will come up again. Surely for his sake he'll abandon his petulence then. Otherwise its the dole queue.

You are in a minority if you think Tubridy is not to blame by the way. While everyone else in RTE was freezing their salary or taking cuts, golden boy asked for and got a raise. How you can exempt him from blame is mystifying. There is justified anger towards him within and outside RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

working in private radio for a much smaller salary is actually hard work.

The Virgin gig is not 'hard work', if other shows on that station is anything to go by. Vast bulk of it is likely to be just playing records. We don't know his salary, speculation is it's in the £80-100K range but could easily be twice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Karppi

£100k isn't a lot of money if you want to live and go out for meals in London, renting a two bedroom place, travelling back and forwards to DUB; plus, presumably, pay a mortgage in Ireland. That money could be disappearing in bills pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If Tubridy is still paying a mortgage after raking in 500k+ a year for the last 15 years, he's even more of a tool than I've taken him for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He's alluded to it before.

I mentioned it already that even if he'd lost it all in the crash, he made enough from 2010-2023 to keep any ordinary person in very good comfort for the rest of their lives. I got the impression he was pretty desperate for work recently, meaning he has some heavy outgoings. (And not just his extra-curricular outgoings).

So he's either lost it all again, or at least a large chunk of it, but I'm pretty sure he has a mortgage (which could be the kids one).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Look, he may be earning less money, but thank God, he still has his SOUL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It's hard to believe he would accept £100k for that commitment and a re-location to London, but he was over a barrel so who knows. As has been said, renting in the sort of area Tubs would require, the lifestyle he would need to keep up with in London, the constant travelling over and back and his outgoings at home to boot, would make that seem like a paltry sum.

Even if he is on a more realistic £200k, it's still a real world pay cut. He was going to be collecting the bones of that for his miniscule RTE commitments this autumn, until he torpedoed that for himself.

We won't worry too much for the poor crater. I'm sure he won't be queueing for Dunnes vouchers at the Capuchin's or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 top floor

"The courts are independent of the Government, and very clearly on the side of applying the law, irrespective of how unpopular it might be or detrimental to any particular politicians."

That's right, but the courts or the independent judges, do not bring the prosecutions for TV licience evasion. That is done by An Post whose independence from political influences on policy is probably not as clearcut as that of a judge or the Garda Commissioner. Particularly if a campaign of tens/hundreds of thousands of prosecutions were needed. More likely random samples will be prosecuted, who as you say will mostly pay before the court hearing. But the rest will just sit and wait.

Also apart from policy I wonder are the courts able to handle huge numbers of cases with efficiency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://evoke.ie/2023/06/27/entertainment/celebrity/ryan-tubridy-climbed-property-ladder

According to this he bought a house for 900k in 2016, with a mortgage from BOI. This is after selling a previous property for 1.3m and making a tidy profit on it. Taking a conservative estimate, that he must have put up at least 20% as a deposit and only did that, the maximum mortgage amount would be for ~700k. As someone earning (reportedly) 500k a year, and more than that before, he couldn't pay that off in 7 years?? And that's not even considering the millions he earned prior to 2016, presumably he could afford a lot more than 20% for a deposit, reducing the mortgage even more? He must have some very expensive lifestyle habits if he's got bugger all cash out of the millions he's trousered from RTE over the years....

Someone had a sheet with his annual pay for the last 15 or so years, he was on far more than 500k back at the tail end of the tiger

TBF he sounds like he knows what he is doing.

Rich people don't use their own money to buy property, they borrow money at low interest rates because the wealth they have can be invested for a far higher return elsewhere.

Only "tools" and the super rich and criminals buy out property with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Karppi

I've figured this out! You're following the Baroness Mone and Doug Barrowmore playbook. Go on, tell me that you're allowed call her, "Michelle"!!

That's potential just a one man job really. Unless your planning 200 videos a day, which they are not.

What are RTÉ thinking? Defenders of the RTÉ want to tackle this one?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭tom23

when you think about it… isn’t it so fucked up that he could be in the position to make that remark. The family business. Only in Ireland can a semi ride the taxpayer like that and promote utter drivel to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭hawley

A very famous Irish face has taken a swipe at RTÉ and made a huge prediction about Ryan Tubridy’s future in the UK. Brendan O’Carroll, creator of the hit Irish sitcom Mrs Brown’s Boys, has given his opinion on the presenter’s latest move.

“If you asked me to place a bet, I’d say Ryan Tubridy will be one of the top interviewers in Britain in the next two years — because there’s definitely a touch of Terry Wogan about Ryan, in that he is very easy to listen to. Audiences in Britain are going to absolutely love that about him.” The comedian thinks Ryan should have made the move to the UK “years ago” after he covered for Terry Wogan and Graham Norton on BBC Radio 2.

“I’m surprised it didn’t happen then, but it’s happening now and I’ve no doubt Ryan is going to be huge in the UK. Remember he is hitting the ground running with all that experience hosting the Late Late Show and doing his radio show on RTE. He is one of the best interviewers I’ve met, and always a pleasure to deal with. I’m betting he’s gonna be huge in Britain, and I’ll be delighted because Ryan’s such a nice guy.”

Just because he managed to sell his pig swill in the UK, it doesn't mean that they're going to buy Tubs. Sounds like the kind of nonsense Tubridy’s agent might have come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭tom23

just one rich ego ‘star’ looking out for a ‘buddy’

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I’d say Ryan Tubridy will be one of the top interviewers in Britain in the next two years — because there’s definitely a touch of Terry Wogan about Ryan, in that he is very easy to listen to. Audiences in Britain are going to absolutely love that about him.”

In the unlikely event this was true he's not at the right station to cut through to the target audience of middle-aged housewives. If the rest of the station is anything to go by, he'll likely be doing little interviewing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I Havnt listened to the podcast nor will but when I read he says:

““The country needs a lot of guiding and a lot of minding. Things could get a little tricky and I hope Ireland continues to fall into the right hands.”

”Guiding and minding”???

From the likes of that idiot?

I wouldn’t take “guiding” from Tubridy on how to tie my shoelaces.

He has to be trolling at this stage right?

Otherwise yet ANOTHER example of this Nepo Baby’s tone deaf pomposity and egotism -

delighted to see the back of him from Montrose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement