Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

He's interesting to watch in a 'eyes peering through fingers' sort of way.

Just when you think he can't get any worse or any more self absorbed he brings up those two lads who sadly passed in Greece on their holidays.

This man has no morals. No sense that he's an absolute to$ser with a self inflated sense of worth that saddos like Gerrity and her Ilk keep inflicting on the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's the media egos plus the chip-on-the-shoulder types at this stage.

The sheer self-absorbed belief that a scandal about a minor RTE celeb who owes RTE 150k is the biggest scandal in Ireland 2023.

Or one poster who attested that they are personally owed 150k by RT

Or the posters who seem to believe that it's because of the likes of RT that their fabulousness as a producer, director, or presenter isn't recognised by RTE while simultaneously saying RTE is a joke.

It is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Field east

His big refrain seems to be how much he loves the ‘children of Ireland’ ; ‘the old folk / senior citizens’ ‘ people of Galway/ Conemeara’ and all those that care to listen to his style of presentation. If he loved them all sooooooooo much then why did HE BLOW UP the very platform that he had to show it. He cannot use such reasons that he was ‘burnt out’, that he needed a new beginning , etc, etc. The very fact that he was giving up the LLS should have been a HUGH release /relief to him - giving him a lot of free time , an opportunity to freshen up his radio programme, more time for himself and family, etc, etc.

no, it was not enough for him to keep his head down until he got his feet under the RTE table, his EGO, his reality, ‘do you know who I am’ refrain, inability to ‘read the Room’ , KB you are only a ‘blowing’ here GOT IN THE WAY.

So, one would wonder how much he did really love the Children of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He loved his salary.

Adrian Lynch appointed Deputy Director General.

I would have thought he was getting the sack by now, but appears to have received a promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lets please keep a semblance of reality to the discussion. No one on this thread is owed €150,000 by Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭supereurope

Failing upwards. If any of us poor dopes lost our employer 300 euro in error, we'd probably be sacked. Fritter away taxpayer's money, get a promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

When a struggling man does a few cash nixers during a recession while claiming the dole, the Revenue and SW dept come down on him like a tonne of bricks and both expect (re)payment.

If someone on less than €20k pa applies for some benefits they don't strictly qualify for, they are subject to the full rigours of the law and repayment and prosecution awaits. Joe Taxpayer feels very aggrieved indeed.

When Ryan Tubridy get's 150k salary top in a made up scam to get him extra dough above his stated pay, he can give his employer and the licence fee payers who fund them the finger, swan off into the sunset and buy a Tuscan villa with it. He's owes nobody anything.

Please, nobody is claiming that Tubridy didn't pay the correct tax on his income. If you have actual evidence to the contrary, I'm sure Revenue would be interested.

• Advertisement

The claim was "If someone owed you €150,000 you’d keep an eye on them too."

Neither the poster, nor anyone else on the thread, is owed €150,000 by Ryan Tubridy. That's a simple fact.

Look, the deal with Tubridy was monumentally stupid. We all know that. RTE should never have underwritten the payments for 3rd party work. But they did, and that's on them. Tubridy signed a legally binding contract with his employer promising him money under certain circumstances, and was paid based on those circumstances coming to pass. He owes nothing to anyone. This was 100% RTE's cockup. Going down a route that contractual payments could be rescinded after payment just because the employer decides they don't like the terms any more - or even worse, because some outside observers don't like them - would be a very dangerous precedent to set.

He paid his tax on it (so "we" the taxpayer got half of it back in any case), he didn't commit social welfare fraud - none of those comparisons are in any way accurate or relevant.

So like I say, lets just stick to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭techman1

RTÉ have always put Fair City above all other drama (and comedy) over the years. It gets €15m for its production every year, and its actors as we have found out are very well paid.

Why is this why does faircity have such a pull over RTE, is it pure nepotism that the actors are well connected in the organisation?

Yes , you are 100% right “NO ONE ——- “. But as a group of licence holders we, as a group, are owed exactly that amount. As RTE used out ficence fees to pay for something it never got. So there.

In your post you have COMPLETELY avoided the issue. Think about your big omission and try again after Christmas

" He owes nothing to anyone"

Perhaps not legally and contractually. But he himself has already accepted that he hasn't done the work and would return the money if the Renault gigs don't happen. He literally said this to the Oireachtas committee.

There is greater chance of Tubs being a success on Virgin Radio than Renault asking for those gigs to be done at this stage, hence, by his own admission, the monies are due back. To RTE. To us.

Separately, as he himself accepts he hasn't yet earnt the money, not sure if he has paid tax on it, he can recoup if he never does the work.

Late Late Show this week, with or without Tubs, gawd, bottom of barrel stuff.

"Maura Higgins, Pat Shortt, Deirdre O'Kane, Jennifer Zamparelli and Arthur Gourounlian".

Legally and contractually is all that matters. End of. I'ts like saying "you're technically correct..". Technically correct is the only type of correct worth being. Take the emotion and passion out if it, and just stick to the facts.

Let's be clear, any comments Tubridy made about repaying the money were in the context of his negotiations with RTE to extend his contract. So if he had taken up a new contract, the previous payments he received would have been taken into account. That makes perfect sense. However, RTE chose to close those negotiations and not offer him a contract. No former employee or contractor is under any obligation to voluntarily pay any legally acquired pay back to their previous employer. In fact, it would be absolute madness for anyone to do so.

It's patently ridiculous to speculate that he hasn't paid tax on it. Where did this even come from? Do you really think that with all the publicity around it that this wasn't investigated? If there was even a whiff that this was a tax dodge, do you really not think that the PAC would have not absolutely gone to town on it? This is one of the things about this thread. Sometimes someone comes up with some throw-away remark with absolutely no substance, and just because it suits a certain narrative, it starts to get bandied around as a plausible truth. Lets just stick to the facts, there's more than enough of them to engage in a robust debate about the entire scandal without making stuff up.

The deal was a bad one, a very bad one, but that's squarely on RTE. The money is gone, and there's no legal mechanism to reclaim it. People are just going to have to move on from it, because obsessing about things that you can't change isn't healthy.

Please take the below as casual conversation, I'm not arguing with you, just giving some opinions!

"Legally and contractually is all that matters. End of. I'ts like saying "you're technically correct.."

Yes, I AM saying you are technically correct! 

"Let's be clear, any comments Tubridy made about repaying the money were in the context of his negotiations with RTE to extend his contract."

Certainly not what he told the Oireachtas Committee. He'd have been EATEN ALIVE by them had he said "I'll pay back IF they give me a job back"!!!!! My understanding, open to correction, is that he tried to bring this into negotiations with Bakhurst at the later stage. But as of his official ('My soul is still the same, my soul, my soul, children of Ireland!!") speech to the Oireachtas, his words were pretty clear that "I have been paid for this work. If I'm not called upon to do this work I will return it". That's my recollection.

"No former employee or contractor is under any obligation to voluntarily pay any legally acquired pay back to their previous employer"

Again, I agree with you! But he said he would. Becuase he knew holding onto the money was rotten in every moral sense. Now he's forgotton the children of Ireland character and held onto the cash as it hasn't quite worked out like he would have hoped.

"It's patently ridiculous to speculate that he hasn't paid tax on it. Where did this even come from? Do you really think that with all the publicity around it that this wasn't investigated? If there was even a whiff that this was a tax dodge, do you really not think that the PAC would have not absolutely gone to town on it? This is one of the things about this thread. Sometimes someone comes up with some throw-away remark with absolutely no substance, and just because it suits a certain narrative, it starts to get bandied around as a plausible truth. Lets just stick to the facts, there's more than enough of them to engage in a robust debate about the entire scandal without making stuff up."

Agreed to a point. My comment related to, if Tubs himself has stated (and he has) that he hasn't yet earnt the money ("I'll repay if I don't actually do the work"), then either he pays tax in advance, which is quite possible as he received payment, or he waits to see if it actually ends up as taxable income. If he paid in advance (let's assume he has, but I wouldn't be so sure how it has been dealt with in his company accounts - perhaps an up front payment for future work that has not yet attracted a liability - I don't know, I'm not an accountant), but if he paid tax in advance, and IF he then paid the money back to RTE as he promised, what would happen to the tax already paid - a refund from Revenue? There are people on here I'm sure that know the ins and outs of all this type of tax stuff, not me! So I am only hypothesising.

"The deal was a bad one, a very bad one, but that's squarely on RTE. The money is gone, and there's no legal mechanism to reclaim it." 

Agreed, only a moral obligation on RT.

"People are just going to have to move on from it, because obsessing about things that you can't change isn't healthy."

God Noooo!! I'm not moving on from this until the licence payer gets that €150k back, or Tubs does the work for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

It says much about the "man" that he didn't return the money and instead pocketed it.

The 150k (and himself) were the face of the RTE scandal, which has cost RTE up to 27 million and potentially the livelihoods of hundreds of his former colleagues.

What kind of man simply pockets that money and does not give it back? If he had it would have gone a long way to resolving people's cynicism towards RTE. And don't say its not his fault, it was clearly his fault. He was central to all this. He could have solved it overnight when it first broke by saying something along the lines of "Hands up, I was overpaid, I am giving the money back and I apologise." He didn't do that, and instead at all times claims to have been puzzled why he should give it back or why this is even an issue.

Its always someone elses's fault with Tubridy and he continues to maintain that.

Wasn't his return to RTE conditional on him returning the 150K?

Hopefully when he rocks up to RTE in a few years time (guaranteed) the money (and interest) will be asked for first.

• Advertisement

No employer is ever going to ask a potential employee to pay them cash as a condition of employment. It would be completely unethical, maybe even illegal. They'd have to either hire him on his merits and their business needs, or not. What you're describing is a completely different situation to negotiations in a contract extension.

I know people want to fantasise about Tubridy being humiliated into paying this money back "to them", but we have to face reality - RTE have absolutely no comeback on their mistake with this contract.

People need to decide what it is that they want from the LLS. Do they want RTE to pay big money to fly the big international celebrities in each and every week? Or do they want to put up with the cheap option, and what passes for local celebrities on a tiny island of 7 million (NI included)? They've already cynically rejected the appearance of common, ordinary people telling their stories as "the miserly section".

If you were the producer of the LLS, who would you have on? A list of 5 random people you like isn't enough, how would you make it scalable across an entire series? And more importantly, how would you pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,417 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It wasn't just RTE's mistake. It was demanded and then facilitated and by Tubridy and his agent, via the sham invoices. RTE didn't just decide out of the blue to bestow this on Tubridy. It took two to tango.

The return of the money, or some accounting for it, was part of the arrangement by which Bakhurst was going to bring Tubridy back to his radio slot. Tubridy topedoed that himself.

Tubridy pulled a scam. He can have his ill gotten gains or his reputation. But there's no way he should be back at RTE unless he pays that back, and if there's no ethical way for that to be done, then there is no ethical way back for him. He has poisoned the well. And his reputation is pond scum as far as I'm concerned while he clings onto it.

Another option would be for Tubridy to donate the money to a suitable organisation or cause, but nope, no sign of that from him either.

Remember you said focus on what can't be changed - well my view of Tubridy won't be changed while he holds onto that money. And I'm not alone.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There were reported discussions around him returning it.

Details of Ryan Tubridy’s draft radio contract show he agreed to repay €150,000 ‘Renault’ money to get back on air | Independent.ie

He also clearly said if there are no Renault gigs, of course he'd return it.

Any sign of the Renault gigs?

I already covered all that with the sentence: "What you're describing is a completely different situation to negotiations in a contract extension.".

That ship has sailed.

Tubridy was out of contract. They were negotiating a new contract.

Lets stick to facts in the article rather than your opinion.

“The Director General stated that he had always been clear that as part of the agreement, Ryan Tubridy would commit to paying back the €150,000,” state the minutes of the subcommittee meeting, held over Zoom on August 16.

The document also says there is “confirmation via Ryan Tubridy’s lawyer that he is agreeable to doing that”. 

So both sides agreed the 150k was going back.

By RTE's cock-up you mean a deal done by a handful of people in RTE who are now unwilling to talk about it or have gone to ground? They clearly had nothing to hide!

Why isn't Forbes at Oireachtas committees or publicly defending it?

So both sides agreed the 150k was going back.

In the draft contract. And then RTE pulled out of negotiations, and everything covered in the draft contract came to absolutely nothing. The agreement to pay back the money was conditional on the contract being signed. It wasn't signed. There's no reason for him to pay the money back. It's crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Baba Yaga

that reminds me...where is your one dee gone...?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement

And if you read my earlier comment, it says much about the man that he didn't hold his hands up at any stage and offer to pay it back, in order to save massive reputational damage to RTE and potentially the loss of hundreds of jobs.

None of this matters to you, I get that, nor does it matter to Tubridy. He's never expressed sadness or remorse for people potentially losing their jobs, unless you can find an article related to that? Did he mention it to Garrity by any chance? Or was it all about him as usual?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement