Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'm happy for him to run away with the €150K* if it means we never have to see him on RTE again.

His promise to pay it back will come back to haunt him financially. Until he pays it back he'll always be reminded of it and RTE can't hand him a job without him paying it back first.

* Probably somewhere in the €75-120K that he has to pay back. NK got his 10-15% and Revenue would have taken their cut of whatever he passed through the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ahh yes but you are still ignoring his promise to the Oireachtas committee, which didn't have conditionality attached, as at that time he was in full on "I respect this committee, and my soul is untarnished". So why did he break that promise? Morally bankrupt that is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are not totally separate.

Tubridy's conduct was a lightning rod for that mismanagement. Significant number of people not renewing licence fee as a result of the scandal. That is a large part of the funding crisis.

That Tubridy did not repay the money, his conduct at the committee in front of the nation - that played a role in the decision of many people not to renew.

And while RTE decision makers hold ultimate responsibility, Tubridy played an active role in it, with dodgy invoices and sham gigs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The €27m is what they're down the past 6 months since the scandal really broke.

Won't be too far off €50m when the first 12 months are up.

And no pensioner is involved as they weren't paying it anyway. If they did pay it, it would be a lot higher. They can be pretty bolshie when they need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The withholding of the licence fee by some people is a red herring. When the court summonses start going out, people will buckle and pay. The courts have made it clear that they will uphold the law, not the whims of the disgruntled, and while withholding the money is indeed a noble form of protest, and it has made people take notice, but most people's limit stops before a legal judgement against them (despite what they may post online). That revenue is delayed, not lost. And in any case, RTE were going cap-in-hand to the Government long before this issue broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭jmcc

Are there any demographic breakdowns of Tubridy's radio audience? It would not be unthinkable that pensioners were overrepresented. Virgin had better hope that its audience takes to Tubridy's "Mid Morning Matters".

Regards...jmcc

"I think we need to separate the financial mismanagement at RTE (that is the actual cause of the job losses) from the 150k and Tubridy as an individual."

Nah! He was part of the rotten edifice and has been overpaid for years. Not a mention of those 400 people in RTE who will lose their jobs. There's a big difference between being a character, as Tubridy no doubt is, and having character. Don't forget to tune in on the second of January.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

You are really hitting somebody's nerve Jmcc😁😁😁

The problem with the licence fee is that it has become toxic for the government. If the courts start dealing with it, this could be Water Tax 2.0. The government is already in serious trouble over the Immigration issue and FF councillors are already beginning to disagree with Martin. They are the ones who will first bear the brunt of the anger of voters at the Local Elections next year. Even the Broadcasting tax is being put off as a problem for some future government to solve.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Field east

Yes , RT may not have broken any law . And as you pointed out legally and contractually everything is clearly ok . But I would suggest that if he EVER makes an attempt - or noises to that effect - to try and get back into RTE , that RTE should not even acknowledge the approach until that €150,000 ie returned with NO CONDITIONS ATTACHED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Anyone seen this story?

RTÉ invites submissions, from suitably qualified Tenderers to supply YouTube Channel Management Services for the Young People’s Department of RTÉ. The successful contractor will be responsible for editing, producing and managing all elements around two RTÉ YouTube Channels. This tender is a repeat tender and these services have been purchased previously under other contracts.

According to the tender, the contract will run for two years and have a maximum value of €250,000, or €125,000 per year.

Post edited by podgeandrodge on

During the summer, Judge Halpin of the Dublin District Court made headlines when he criticised RTE as “elitist” for their financial mismanagement while them general public were legally forced to fund them via the TV licence. I’m sure this gave more than a few people the courage to defy the payment.

Then in September, he directed the Garda Commissioner to prioritise arresting licence evader court no- shows, so they could be brought before him.

The courts are independent of the Government, and very clearly on the side of applying the law, irrespective of how unpopular it might be or detrimental to any particular politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Baba Yaga

where do i sign up? quarter of a mill for two years to sit on me hole?if thats true the place really needs to be shut down before any more money(ours) is wizzed away...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

And it all goes to create anger in the electorate. That's the bottom line for the government. The independence of the judiciary and courts does not matter when votes are involved. They are two very different things. It would be playing into the hands of the opposition by creating angry anti-FFG voters. The government might announce some kind of "consultation" rather than have an electoral disaster from angry non-payers. Remember that there may be more than one person of voting age in the houses of non-payers so the effect would be amplified. The politicians would be well aware of that.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I would imagine the revenue is lost rather than delayed.

Say if I was to get a summons for not paying it tomorrow to be in court on the 4th of January I would go and buy one on the 3rd of January starting from then.

I can then bring it to court to show the judge.

If mine ran out last April then they are down 9 months or €120 of licence fee they otherwise would have had.

I think that it is dated to the time that the licence fee demand was issued.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 39,666 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That Judge sounds like he needs to take early retirement TBH. He has form for being a bit of a Cock Womble. Anyway, he doesn't get to dictate policing policy to the Commissioner or what resources should be prioritised.

Yet another reason RTE should be split into a tax funded / subscription model.

I'd say the actual figure for collection and prosecuting must be 30m+. What an absolute gross waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Karppi

t's so simple, really, and has been expressed, let alone known, for well over a century and a half

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery

RTE isn't remotely connected to reality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The revenue is delayed. But the wages and other costs of running RTE are not.

Try telling the workers in RTE they won't be paid until revenue picks up, or ask if can they delay their salaries for 6 months.

Unfortunately several hundred completely innocent people will have to be let go, but so long as Tubridy is happy that's the main thing.

If you’re renewing a licence, it’s dated from the time of the expiry of your previous licence. So if your old licence was up in April 2023, and you pay it in January 2024, you’ll still be liable to pay it again in April 2024. When you think about it, it couldn’t work any other way.

• Advertisement

Our perhaps my wife could take it out in her name stating a new date of renewal.

That just illustrates the moral dubiousness of not paying the licence fee. The only people it hurts are innocent people and their families.

Nope, people are fed up funding the basketcase that is RTE.

Eh, then you both have a licence that you’re liable for. Not a good plan.

The only way to cancel your licence is to fill out the declaration that you don’t have a TV. If you don’t actually have one, then you would have done this anyway and wouldn’t be paying the licence in the first place. If you do have a TV and declare you don’t, then you risk having a TV licence inspector checking your house, and ending up in court for either non payment, a false declaration, or obstruction (if you don’t let them in).

Some people are up to playing these kinds of games for no real gain, but most aren’t.

That may be so, but they have to accept the reality of what you rightly pointed out - that hundreds of innocent people will lose their jobs over it, and families will suffer.

Had Tubridy handed back the 150k, apologised, all would likely have been forgiven and the situation wouldn't have arisen. There certainly wouldn't have been endless rounds of Oireachtas committee hearings. However he did at least in a roundabout way convince us all that RTE is a basketcase.

Shouldn't politicians be shining examples of morality to us all? That's the credibility gap when it comes the morality of not paying the licence fee. The government has already bailed out RTE. People in RTE will get paid their salaries but the 400 will lose their jobs. Could this have been avoided if RTE had been properly managed? No.

Basically RTE is existing on government bailouts and a licence fee mechanism that may have been introduced in the 1920s for radio. In that century or so, the cost of radios collapsed as did the cost of TVs in the 1980s. The availability of TV and radio programming has grown dramatically and RTE does not have a monopoly position in the market. The TV licence is no longer fit for purpose.

Regards...jmcc

Don't worry about me- I've done it loads of times in the past. Used get about 18 months on average out of a one year license.

Brother in law even got one for me one year😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I know one thing for certain. Tubridy's mentor and broadcasting hero Gay Byrne would never have knowingly been mixed up in a payment scam to get secret salary top-ups over and above his published salary, while his colleagues in the RTE canteen were subject to cuts on top of cuts....

And if he had had a cute hoor agent who cooked it up behind his back, I'm absolutely certain Gay Byrne's first move would have been an offer to repay it or make a charitable donation in lieu. That because, like many of that generation, he was a man of honour and decency. Which is why he got caught out so badly by his own financial fiasco.

It does indeed say much about the (lack of) character of the man, that the only way that "Renault" money was getting repaid was as part of a new cushy deal to guarantee Tubs another 5 years suckling on the RTE teet. Once that opportunity vanished, that scam money was never going to be seen again.

There is no disconnect between RTE's financial mismanagement and the Tubridy scandal. People follow stories relating to personalities. The enormous hole in RTE's licence fee take is almost solely to do with Tubridy himself, his total ineptitude at PR, his arrogance and shameless refusal to accept any blame and his perpetual victim status. And the missing €150k is a huge part of it. Had this been just a faceless scandal about, lets say the Toy show musical, I know full well the damage being suffered by RTE would be a fraction of what it is today. People don't pay attention anymore to empty corporate suits getting caught out wasting money or lining their own pockets. We've got decades of previous form with that old tale. But when the sainted Toyman get's caught with Santa's money in his bank account, then people do pay attention and they use the only tool they have available to them to make a protest. Withholding the licence fee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement