Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

RTE is like many Public Sector departments- nobody there cares about how much is been spent as the Tax Payers will stump up and nobody will ever get fired!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nachouser

I doubt the lad is sitting there at the end of the month logging in to the AIB mobile app making sure he's been paid on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

In this day and age there should be no excuse to limit yourself to RTE news.

Its actually quite a disturbing notion, especially when you are online and have access to countless other news sources.

It's not even the bias per se, it's the complete omission of countless stories on any give day that leaves viewers ignorant of the bigger picture and alternative opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RTE to me anyway, is an organ of the State. It is beholden to the current Government and is stacked to the rafters with libertarian lefties. Thus we have ZERO debate or indeed balanced analysis of the issues facing us apart from De Housing Crisis. That's an easy one, no one can solve it in a week.

However, always slow to offer a balanced voice, RTE is very very quick to slap down anyone speaking against Government agenda on other things like asylum seekers, Ukrainian refugees, the reforms to the Equality legislation, neutrality etc., with the moniker of FAR RIGHT, RACIST, etc. That shuts everything down.

Mind you the entire MSM in this country is the same.

The new DG Bakhurst inherits a poisoned chalice, but hopefully he will clear the decks. At least he has had a few years working outside the mini republic of Montrose.

oh I’m sorry is this not a discussion board?

jesus help me if this is what passes for discussion now.

“oh can you backup that claim?”

”OH MY GOD DONT YOU KNOW GOOGLE??”

We all know what google is, mate, but if we all just google our questions and queries, well.. boards wouldn’t need to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

When this was discovered, the subsequent investigation by Grant Thornton only reviewed the other 9 in the top 10 earners.

Seems to be very restrictive and blindly assumes that all “errors” could only apply to the top 10.

Perhaps there were others that should have been in the top 10 in previous years but the wonky calculator saved them from the infamy.

From the Rte website

“The payment in 2020 did come from a commercial partner of the station, in exchange for a number of personal appearances a year.

"As part of this agreement, RTÉ in turn issued a credit note to the commercial partner thereby reducing the cost to it of its overall sponsorship arrangement with the organisation," RTÉ said.”

That second sentence bothers me, discounted advertising in lieu of commercial partner making payments.

Why would RTE care about personal appearances he made on his own time and then feel the need to issue a credit note.

If the credit note covers most or all of the payment made by the commercial partner to Ryan, that is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sigma101

When RTE announced in 2019 that they were planning to cull 200 jobs to make savings, one of their key commitments was as follows:

• We need to reduce the fees paid to our top contracted on-air presenters by15%, in addition to the 30+% cuts as agreed in previous years

This "barter" arrangement allowed RTE to show that Tubridy's salary had reduced from 491k in 2017 to 440k in 2022 when in fact it had gone up from 511k to 515k! How can Tubridy think he has nothing to answer?

RTE workers have the most to be angry about here, particularly those who have been let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭StevenToast

NKM and Tubridy really piling the heat on to RTE to try and deflect from their own disgustingly selflish behaviour......

Like Stinking rats on a sinking ship....

"Blame RTE and not us".....

To be clear, Tubridy is not innocent in this....he knew RTE were lying about the money he was being paid and was very comfortable with the deception from RTE....

Heads should roll...and Tubridy should be top of the list....

It is simply untenable to keep him on that overpaid, cushy number he has on the radio......

Get rid of him....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I don't see how Ryan Tubridy has done anything wrong here. Should he have not accepted the money?

RTE's mistake here. Not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

It will not matter shortly... they will introduce a household media charge, to catch all the evaders.

• Advertisement

No, what he should have done is demand that as a public broadcaster, paying wages from public money, that the public accounts be bloody well accurate.

He’s as to blame as anyone else. Do you often take money that’s not yours? If Ryan was supposed to be paid €75k less than he was then keeping it was either theft or sneaking around.

It’s one or the other.

Please, such a drama over this. It was RTE's decision to do it that way.

He's not in control of RTE.

Well, putting it in its simplest form, if you had a salary of 20k, roughly 400 quid a week and suddenly you got 900 quid a week, would you just shrug your shoulders and spend it, or check with payroll/HR to see if it is a kosher?

A sin of ommission by Tubridy for accepting it without checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cmac2009

With gullibility like this no wonder they feel like they can take the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sigma101

In light of today's developments, the back catalogue of quotes from senior RTE people makes for entertaining reading!

For example from the Sun earlier this year:

"Radio One boss Peter Woods revealed the station’s best-known stars have already agreed to slash their wages in unity with listeners battling the cost-of-living crisis. He told The Irish Sun: “All of them (RTE’s top ten) have taken cuts in pay since the 2019 figures. I think it’s an act of solidarity from these people. I don’t know the figures as RTE haven’t released the top earners yet (for 2020/2021) but they aren’t what they were the last time RTE issued figures. Yes absolutely they have taken cuts.”

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Tubridy's statement.. how do you not notice €345,000 extra going into your bank account..

I'm sure they agreed to pay him this and he knew about it.

The point is about public declaration and that's RTE's fault. Not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

More to come. It might not be wise to defend Tubridy at the moment.

• Advertisement

This might only be the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure some of the other 'senior' broadcasters knew of this and negotiated their pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

For the first year of the agreement he was being paid the published salary by RTE,plus the extra 75,000 from whatever advertiser for supposed appearances. Fair enough.

The advertiser pulled out after the first year and somehow RTE had locked themselves into paying Tubs the extra 75 G's. Tubridy was aware of this obviously. Should he have declared that his published salary was incorrect? Would you do that to your employer? Should RTE have declared the correct salary?...certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

He has a big megaphone Monday to Friday that he could have used if he disagreed with it…….but he didn’t

Just a pity he didn’t as it would have been better than the waffle he usually sprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Notmything

Do you think his agent/accountant accepted the revised pay offer including the undisclosed top up without talking to him first?

At the very least he had to be aware there was deceit involved and he was willing to publicly accept a lower wage than he was actually getting.

Post edited by Notmything on

I find it hilarious actually all the Tubridy haters lining up at the opportunity to stick the knife in 😆

If you've a problem with this RTE should be where the blame is laid.

Poor oul Fr. Ted only had the one! I'd say some of our public figures can't remember which of their accounts it's resting in.

I was never that anti Tubridy but by God all his sermons and lectures are coming back to me... one seriously 2 faced bol*ix.

The wit of many posters here far surpasses the drivel that most of those in high office at RTE manage to impart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Pre-covid when I was going into the office everyday, Id listen to morning ireland while getting ready, but the dulcet tones of Tubs was the kick in the arse I needed to leave the flat, because noway was I staying to listen to him. He has always repelled me on several levels. I find him thoroughly insincere, and somehow managed to make the Toy Show all about him and regularly subtley took the piss out of some of the kids.

What I dont understand is the need for secrecy.

• Advertisement

His last Late Late such vain, ego boosting rubbish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement