Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The responsible minister for communications Eamonn Ryan doesn’t feel it’s worth noting on his Twitter, climate issues in France, Uganda and elsewhere of course take precedence .

would it kill him to say “ like many taxpayers and citizens, the RTÉ / Tubridy revelations currently in the news are very concerning, need to be investigated and clarified, Ill be seeking a meeting with RTE management forthwith and it will be taken from there….”

but… instead, Uganda feature prominently…

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Here comes the Kindness Calvary! Great attempt at deflection though!

i’ve done this to death in the Tubridy Thread so no, I’m not going to do it again here at length. I am fully aware of the tax benefits one accrues being a director of one’s own company. Perhaps you are not?

I’ll say this much: the benefits of taking dividends v pay are enormously advantageous from a net perspective.

Not to mention expenses. Tubridy (bravely) did some shows from his home during Covid. I’m not saying he did this, but hypothetically he could for example bill RTE for use of his home during that time - and guess what? That’s tax deductible. Likewise if he drove to Cork for an OB, he could not just bill RTÉ for his time there and back, he can also write off the mileage. And guess what? He can also set his own mileage rate. I know, it’s hard to believe right? But a good egg like Tubs would probably do this all for free in some peopke’s minds. 🙄

There are many other benefits, incl. for example pension payments.

And these are all deducted variously before tax is liable.

Or are you suggesting that he set up a one man company to pay more tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

TV3/Virgin are really loving this 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Is anyone surprised? Really? Get over it lads. Either that or we should all refuse to pay our tv license. Everyone. We're a nation of folders. It wouldnt be that hard to organise it either.

You paid this and so did i. Tubridy laughing at all of us. The hate speech laws are made to protect the likes of him and his cronies. How his mate Conor McGregor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

These figures make headlines every year. It seems remarkable that he would not know they were wrong. Is he claiming he didn't know how much he earned or that he never looked at the RTE figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Haha. He didnt release it on twitter. Hes not on twitter because twitter is a toxic environment and everything that is wrong these days.

No Ryan twitter just calls you out and rte out for being shite. Thats why you dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Can you provide rates and tax legislation to prove your point? No one goes out of their way to pay more tax, but d'rich pay no tax and d'ordinary man pays it all is little more than a slogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pinnochio on the Toy Show.

As a PP mentioned, Dee Forbes departure before the S hit the fan is ahem.... interesting to say the least.

I'm wondering if other so called "stars" have had top ups also. Bring in the forensic accountants quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, that's what I was thinking. His statement seemed self serving and disingenuous. Is he so wealthy he did not notice this extra cash?. Also I don't believe in coincidences, he must have known this was going to come out so opted to leave before it entered the public domain.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

More need to do the same, RTE is nothing more than a mouth piece for the government, absolute garbage.

I was sitting in a south Dublin coffee shop when I heard it being discussed, before long the entire section of where I was sitting was talking about it and how he is so not worth it. One told me she was walking around Monkstown seafront, met himself face to face, he was wearing a scarf and breezed a big hello. She asked him did he know her. 🤣🤣🤣

I knew his hand was being forced, it wasn’t voluntary. NK too has been very quiet of late.

David McCullough saying plainly “it’s very simple, RTE lied to the public”.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Remember this next time you go to "pay your tv licence". The **** neck of these **** to be banging a drum about non payment and then this is what's going on behind the scenes. RTE needs to be dissolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Catherine Martin is the responsible minister.

Interestingly in her statement she says she has been aware of this since March. Why are we only hearing about this now?

Oh I'm sorry, does your phone or laptop not have google?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it be normal for RTE to make a payment to someone's agent on their behalf despite Tubridy operating to them as a contractor using his Tuttle Productions company charging them 'fees'? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

€150,000 was paid to Mr Tubridy's agent (on his behalf) from the barter account in 2022. This related to the guaranteed income for 2021 and 2022. It resulted in an overall cost to RTÉ, from this account, of €230,760 (inclusive of fees incurred through the barter account process).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

About a quarter of the public don't pay the licence fee already. This is bound to increase.

• Advertisement

This is going to run and run.

What other presenters are getting these secret payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

25% don't pay TV license? never seen it that high. Is that reported anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Cant see Tuberdy or RTE come out of this mess. Ship going down and everyone on leave. Must have booked the holidays in February

There's a can of worms here many in RTE and NKM do not want to be opened that's for sure.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭StevenToast

As I predicted earlier, Tubridy is going into hiding until this blows over....he wont be doing the radio show tmw....

Off to connemara now to fake read books and go for walks and jolly japes with ice cream....

He should be immediately suspended without pay until a thorough independent investigation is carried out....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DisgustedTunbridgeWells

I predict a mass boycott of the TV license fee....Somebody signed off on this and we need to know who...Very hard to believe nobody on the board knew about it. There needs to be a complete replacement of board members to have any credibility if that is even possible now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tubridy's problem is that he presented himself as a modern day Bishop.

Now look.

• Advertisement

Conor McGreggor trending along with Tubridy which is interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement