Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

it’s very interesting that TLLS finishes for the season, Ryan isn’t coming back, now we’re finding out this..

me thinks he was getting out of dodge. Couldn’t see many people tuning into TLLS later this year after this if Ryan was host (if they do at all).

thundering disgrace though. But cry more about how you need more money..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭brokenbad

€5k a week take home for Tubs....nice work if you can get it.

Major coincidence between his departure a few weeks ago and this story emerging now.

Would make a great Prime Time Investigates.....oh wait 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Wonder how much this equates to in marching powder?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it wasnt far less, it was 15% less, either way people think its a fortune, lets face it, to the average joe 440k or 515k still seems like mega bucks. It wasnt his job to report it, and there could well be an argument that technically his salary was 440k and the 75k sponsoship had a different definition.

people are blaming the wrong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Glad I've never paid the license fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

More intrigued that Dee Forbes had her leaving drinks last week and this comes out while she is on leave, but not returning before her contract ends.

Lot of ducks were lined up before this broke…..but that’s just a big coincidence.

Surely not his job but tell you what if you think that kind of money being hidden under the table is acceptable you need to wake up.

Ryan is complicit. It suited him to keep it quiet. If it didn’t he wouldn’t have kept it quiet.

Tubs and the others covering this up are to blame. Seems very convenient that every year the underreporting got him under the 500k that RTE presenters seem to be fearful of since the crash.

Presenting Ryan Tubridy as the hapless victim in all this is beyond laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Captain Kindness is now Captain Hypocrisy I see.

Maybe, maybe not, itll be interesting to see what he has to say.

I wouldnt agree the money was hidden under the table, it was recorded, but appears not have been attributed correctly to him, at least publicly.

Im plenty awake, just not woke ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Its time to disband RTE. Its going to fall further and futher behind with more and more stream services appearing. It has no future with such a small revenue.

i dont think i have presented him as a hapless victim, im suggesting your ire is missplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

Look, it's Ireland,

He'll come out on the radio or another chat show with one of the other RTE cronies and apologise for the upset he has caused and he should have apologised. He'll get a round of applause from a very carefully selected studio audience and that will be it...

This is Ireland and we don't do accountability......especially the rich and shameless

ah now look €350k doesn’t get lost in the paperwork. It wasn’t declared because they were keeping it hush.

Im sorry but I don’t believe in coincidence and doubly so when everything’s just too convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm sure the BBC, Channel 4 and ITV are chomping at the bit to snap up all the super-talented RTE stars if heads start to roll.

Oh, wait ...

some of them would be lucky to get a gig in a school play in fairness 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Irish Times knocking it out of the park with their picture selection:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In my view RTE should cut the TV licence as a gesture of good faith. This was underhanded and sneaky.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

But it wasnt lost in the paperwork, they recorded a cost in each year it just wasnt attributed to Tubridy.

and you honestly think that was by accident? I mean honestly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Nonsense, I'd say American channels are poised and ready too. 🤣🤣

Statement from the man himself

"Like many people, I’m surprised by the announcements made in RTÉ’s statement today regarding the errors in the reporting of its accounts. 

"It is unfortunate that these errors are in relation to how RTÉ have reported payments made to me but I just want to be clear: this is a matter for RTÉ and I have no involvement in RTÉ’s internal accounting treatment or RTÉ’s public declarations in connection with such payments. 

"Obviously, I’m disappointed to be at the centre of this story but unfortunately, I can’t shed any light on why RTÉ treated these payments in the way that they did nor can I answer for their mistakes in this regard."

did i honestly use the word accident?

It could well have been an accounting error, id be surprised if it wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I only have the 'Irish' channels so get all my news from RTE. I have seen many people questioning their balance in recent years and while I have certainly seen a bias towards the FF&FG establishment, I usually trust what I hear. Trust in RTE will certainly diminish further after this story. As for Tubs, vastly overpaid - haven't watched the Late Late in many years, he ruined it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just get rid of the company, sell it off to the highest bidder privately. I'd say something if the programming was value for money for whats been spent but its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 inyoup

so I've decided not to pay tv licence anymore, unless they get a court order to search my house and take me to court. Enough is enough and I can't believe we are forced to pay for garbage called RTE. And me and my partner are lucky enough to be well able to afford all our bills, but I wouldn't buy mouldy raspberries in the supermarket and I won't pay for this embarasment called RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tubs does not pay PAYE tax, that is for the little people.

Tubs is paid via fees into a one-man holding company, and this is facilitated by RTÉ, when he is essentially a lifer in the place. I wouldn’t call him a “full-time employee” as someone who works 10 hours a week 30 weeks a year and as little as 5 for an additional 10 can’t be classed as “full-time”.

This arrangement - also facilitated by RTÉ for many of its other top “stars”, coincidentally most of whom are managed by Noel Kelly and NKM - is technically legal, but very much against the spirit of the law. The Revenue Commissioners have stated they intend to examine this, but they seem to work at a snail’s pace (even by civil service standards).

He frequently betrays his “brand” and image on the radio through faux pas, contradictions, and ill thought out confessions and ignorance. He has been enabled and rewarded for decades despite any equivalent evidence of talent. He has shown his true hypocritical colours with this. I have been calling this man out on his behaviours for years. Though financially rich, the man himself is morally bankrupt.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

do you think that independent contractors dont pay tax? how does that work? to get the money out he still has to pay himself a salary from the company set up to receive the income.

Never singled out Ryan. Something like this needed a few people to keep it quiet.

I queried Dee Forbes departure earlier too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm cancelling the direct debit, I'm fed up of this Quango burning taxpayer money. I'm off to a new address anyway they can find me there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement