Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel Moon - Netflix - Zack Snyder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I was thinking the exact same thing 😅

And I thought Ed looked quite unwell and gaunt in it, but maybe that was on purpose because of the sucky alien?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just finished watching this. I must say I enjoyed it. I felt like it was a mix of Star Wars, Firefly and Starship Troopers.

Anyway a pity it was not actually released in Cinemas as I would have went to see it there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"A decent story line. Disappointed that pt2 is 4 months away"

Not that long really

Sure the 4 months will fly by.

Hardly as it was not even released in the Cinemas.

Still I would have paid €6 to happily see it in the Cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"Cinema" != ("The Cinema" OR "A Cinema")

Cinema: the production of films as an art or industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm about 2/3 through.

It's... It's not good. It it exactly what you'd expect from Snyder: Limited colour pallet, slow motion, People just standing still and doing exposition dumps like some Bethesda game.

There is zero new in it. That's what just makes me smile. Snyder et all all going "Well, this was originally pitched as a Star Wars movie but it was too crazy. Too out there". So far I have not seen one single interesting new angle. Nothing at all "out there". The characters are one-dimensional: The baddie. The noble hero. The lovable rogue, the mystical savage, the assassin, the disgraced general. I have yet to meet the Robert Vaughn yet... I mean the slick gunslinger who is not as slick as he seems to be but will redeem himself. The dialogue is cliché to say the least.

I mean, again, I have no problem with remakes etc but don't try to fob this off as anything more than a Seven Samurai remake. What's wrong with that? Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven are icons for a reason (And yes, I know it was remade as Battle Beyond The Stars with John-Boy and Hannibal and Robert Vaughn again). But just compare the info dumps of this ("In the two years I've been here it's felt peace but I'm a child of war. Blah blah blah" about 5 mins in) with.

And just LOOK how insanely cool this looks. Made SEVENTY YEARS AGO!:

As a matter of fact I would LOVE to see a Seven Samurai Star Wars movie. Not a single mention of anything related to the other movies. No Jedi or Sith. If the magnificent Andor can have a whole show with only the barest mention of existing lore (And his character IS integral to the movies) then give us a standalone rain/mud drenched Magnificent Seven Star Wars movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zack Snyder, despite being unquestionably one of the most distinctive visual filmmakers in contemporary mainstream cinema (for better and IMO mostly for worse), will never make anything that looks a fraction as good as the jaw-dropping rain/mud-soaked finale of Seven Samurai. Because in trying to make everything seem momentous and awe-inspiring, his visual style actually has the opposite effect - when everything is drenched in visual excess, the momentous becomes routine and dulling. He also just doesn't understand the impact of pure, raw physical action - when you drench it in artifical slo-mo, dramatic pauses for hero posing, and CG / post-effects, you're also just undermining the power of a good action scene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Between this and Army of the Dead, I'm not even sure Synder can claim to have an alluring visual identity anymore 'cos his style has really gone to shít of late. All that shallow focus, and the look of Rebel Moon was something akin to "glaucoma vision" at times and not the music video coolness of yore. Yeah the slow-motion got really tedious after a while, sometimes even used at moments that didn't even justify it as a moment of "action", but his films have become really ugly the last couple of films.

I wasn't initially sure why and then remembered: he's now his own cinematographer starting with Army of the Dead - and that's proving to be a killer for his aesthetic. Cos what I said before holds true, and in many respects is being proven by suddenly becoming Hollywood's Garth MArenghi: he needs collaborators to work around his style, and when he becomes the combined director-writer-cinematographer, here's the end result. Total garbage as a result.

"Seven Samurai but X" is such a boilerplate concept it is kinda insane that Star Wars of all things - a series that started as a very loose Kurosawa love-in - hasn't yet used that concept. The Mandalorian has kinda dipped its toes into the idea for those series finales when Mando collects his prior friends for a last big batttle - but let's discount that 'cos by and large the end-results have been a bit shít.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I haven't been a fan of Snyder's visual style since 300 / Watchmen, and it's only gotten worse as he's doubled down on it all. But it's undoubtedly 'distinctive' - a word which of course doesn't encompass quality of the identity 😅

No. Just yet another thing Snyder took inspiration from (To put it politely)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair enough but if you haven't seen this latest, or Army of the Dead, it'll make those prior films look positively lush. His attempts at being his own cinematographer have had a really negative effect on that "distinctive" style such that the movies are now openly hideous.

This has spoilers for Army of the Dead for those who might care, but this clip here is ... omg, so goddamn ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Bit off topic from Rebel Moon; I just had a look online to see what else Zack Snyder was involved in. I saw there is a 4 hours remake of Justice League - a directors cut.

I've never seen justice league, so will be giving the 4 hour version a spin. Fair auld commitment though - 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

it is excellent... 100% better than the cinematic release pile of dog...

It's better than the initial release but it's still style over substance. (IMHO of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think the original was so bad that the Snyder edit seems excellent in comparison. But if you compare it to something like Dark Knight....ouch.

An academic analysis of the Snyder Cut of Justice League as cultural phenomenon would be substantially more interesting than the film that actually came out of it. I think it's a bad film, but if nothing else it's interesting to see a director's cut that's clearly been shaped by fan reaction after-the-fact, as opposed to anything that was actually meant to be in the film in the first place (such as self-indulgent epilogues that were clearly shot a few weeks before the Snyder Cut came out).

Pitch Meeting as always on point;

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

This must have been one of the most awful films I seen in a long time

“ChatGPT copy parts of dozens of other films and mash them together in an incoherent fashion”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Just finishing watching it now, on this is best description I've seen of it - I'd add in ChatGPT add in also current iconic characters from any media at moment...

Why is enemy general basically Peaky Blinders??? Fighting with a stick in a laser fight.

Why does Disneys' John Carter show up shirtless, to ride a manticore while everyone else is wearing multi layers?

Why do half the Rebels look like Avatar rip offs, and the other half look like Mad Max Furiosa rip offs?

Why do enemy surgeons at the end look like current Hyundai Tucsons?

Why can't anyone in this film do a Northern Irish accent? Why even try?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's proper sh*te.

Not a single original idea in here. It's so dour. Why does it take itself so seriously?

The exposition is painful, and lots of other inclusions that just make no sense (brain roomba?), all these just seem to serve to distract from Synder's inability to deliver a decent narrative.

Yeah, I think a lot could have been saved if the film had the awareness to have some lightheartedness in its veins. No need for MCU snark, just a sense of fun. And yeah, crack a joke here and there at the right moment.

When the only "joking" are the soldiers sizing up the village girl you wanna rape, something has gone terribly wrong with the writing in the Space Opera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just watched this and firstly I would say overall it's actually not as bad as I expected it to be.

Having said that it's horribly unoriginal, entire movie is just doing a poor job imitating countless other movies, and the script is fairly hokey and devoid of any fresh ideas.

Synder trying to impose his signature style actively detracts from the movie in this case.

Also seems to have heavily "borrowed" from Warhammer 40K, alongside countless other media.

I'd say it's a 5/10, not good, not awful, could've been a lot better, as it is, quite watchable and forgettable. As a whole it's far from the worst thing I've seen and it's fine sci-fi fluff.

I have a lot of time for Zack Synder and think some of his movies get an undue amount of flak, but this would be fairly bottom rung on his resume. I really think its biggest crime is the sheer lack of originality, though the script really needed some more attention.

As for comments on Justice League - I will say that the Synder cut is infinitely better than the theatrical version. So much so that I probably rated it far higher than it deserves objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭winstonia

Until Synder learns to stop writing his own crap, I'm done and have given him more than enough chances. Not even sure Part 1 was the worst thing he ever made, but somehow it's collosal lack of ambition and obvious cribbing of a half dozen better movies made me finally done with the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

What do you think he borrowed from 40k? Other than the main villain dressing like a Commissar, I didn't notice anything really stand out... Maybe I just wasn't posting enough attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,837 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Finally, finally finished this, on the third attempt. My god, what a slog.

A copy of a copy of a copy - artless, soulless, joyless. Stupid and horribly written, but so grim and overwrought and self-serious that it’s not even any fun either. And jesus christ, stop with the slow motion - there's so much of it, usually counter-productively, that I found myself just getting irritated with each use. Stop. Stoppit.

but so grim and overwrought and self-serious that it’s not even any fun either.

The killing stroke really, isn't it? A lot could have been forgiven if it had a sense of galaxy bouncing fun, something like Battle Beyond the Stars was light-years from high art yet it had a pep in its step. Synder seems to render his films these days with a borderline pomposity that can make them fairly insufferable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Part 2 dropped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Don't do it to yourself it's really not worth taking away two hours of your life go for a walk and enjoy the fresh air.

I wish I had.

Advertisement