Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel Moon - Netflix - Zack Snyder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

A solid 'meh' . I didn't expect much from the story but he's usually at least a master of fast action and spectacle and I could settle for a silly Friday night popcorn muncher but it fell really short there too imho. Too many slowdowns, events that should be happening in parallel instead being serial and making no sense outside of an Anime that the world would just effectively freeze while each character was having their zoom in moment and enemies in the background would do nothing. Too many pauses and ridiculous telegraphing took every bit of energy out of what could have been decent action scenes.

I did like the nod to Battle Beyond the Stars 'Nell' with the Blood axe flagship though (I'd literally just talked to my wife about the other 7-samurai derivatives and it being a corny but fun scifi version when they flew in).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Was this filmed with a fisheye lense or something the edges of the screen are blurred far to often. It's akin to looking through an oculus quest with the sweet spot in the middle but the edges lacking detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

There were definitely some post-process aspect-ratio changes, very noticable at the start with some of the character close ups.

There's also plain old chromatic abberation, either natural or again induced in post-process (since for some reason even game developers think it's a good idea to add in...).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is yerman at the end in heavy makeup to make him look older?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

just watched it, it's everything thats wrong with modern movies

style over substance

at the end I didnt care if they ALL died

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I actually enjoyed it. Wouldn't know a Snyder from a picasso so it didn't bother me.

A decent story line. Disappointed that pt2 is 4 months away

Debating if I'd let my kids watch it. The attempted rape scene didn't leave much to the imagination of what would happen. Not something I want my kids to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Decent enough film, nothing special and don't care about any of the characters, thought some of the CGI very ropey - hard to miss all the similarities from other sci-fi films, I mean it's really just a remake of Battle Beyond the Stars but I think that film had more heart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭jj880

I thought the Dolby Vision / Atmos worked very well on this. Thats where the positives end though. Shambles on the story / character front. When I see a movie like this I always think back to this gem from Uwe Boll and wonder at what point do the cast know its a turkey.

Btw I recommend watching In The Name Of The King. Unintentional comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yep (Fra Fee), the aging up is not well done...plus the main character hasn't aged a day.

Mark Kermode wasn't quite as scathing as I thought he might have been but he did mention the awful Charlie Hunnam/humdrums accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It’s grand. Perfectly watchable, unfortunately it doesn’t amount to much more than that. Story is paper thin. It’s a predictably boring tale at how the main character gets the band together, which seems to come together conveniently easy.

it looks great, but the setting is so singular, you could hardly call it a space opera. At times It almost feels like a pilot of a new TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭winstonia

First 30mins was a slog. Also thought it looked like a cheap TV set for most scenes.. will dip back in over multiple views to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Thought it started getting a bit better towards the end, so talks of a trilogy are encouraging. It was slow in places but overall a decent watch. Would definitely watch the second part when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So to me it pretty much felt like a remake/take off of Battle Beyond the Stars which was a remake of The Magnificent Seven which itself was a remake of Seven Samurai.

Collect a band of heroes to save the day.

Trailer for part 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They know it's a turkey from the start. Basically uwe boll checked to see which big actors were on a break between movies and approached them with a project to do between movies. They'd usually agree to just to keep themselves busy and earn some money between projects. It's why he managed to get relatively big stars on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The guys that turn up on the spaceship remind me of the Necromongers from chronicles of riddick.

Is this supposed to be linked to that story?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Was alright. But definitely not as good as I'd hoped it could be.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The spider thing looks like the Borg queen and the alien that was watching the Northern Ireland lads ship take off looked like the alien James Kirk kicks in the knees that turns out to be the aliens nuts in start trek VI.

This is a mix of a lot of things imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭winstonia

This is actually an insult to cinema. The worst thing I've ever seen. What's with all the pointless slow motion stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The most interesting character for me was the robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭jj880

The Magnificent Rebel Moon Seven.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only caught the first hour but ye gods this truly is as derivative as anything I've ever seen. Shameless to the point of brazen: the Star Wars links are there, but as is the Seven Samurai - and more than a little Warhammer 40k with the evil empire being all ornate and imperial.

And as to the look of the thing, yuck. The sickly desaturated appearance is off putting in the extreme: the slow motion is Synder's calling card and I can take it in small doses, but this horrid, muted is horrendous to watch. Warhammer 40k, as filmed like a music video.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Christopher Nolan is a fan of Snyder by the sounds of it.

“There’s no superhero science-fiction film coming out these days where I don’t see some influence of Zack,” Nolan said. “When you watch a Zack Snyder film, you see and feel his love for the potential of cinema. The potential of it to be fantastical, to be heightened in its reality, but to move you and to excite you.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not entirely surprising as IIRC, Nolan got Synder the Man of Steel gig, and was a producer on it too.

Besides, bad form to shít on fellow professionals still active in the field. But in terms of what he did say, Nolan's right - Synder is a talented visual director, it's just he needs a good writer and producer to reign in the bullshít. Cos unfettered the guy's work becomes almost unwatchable. But he's now too famous, too experienced to likely take a firm hand helping him craft something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

Thought it was a bit strange when I was watching it that the bog showdown didn't happen back on the home planet. Then I realised that the big showdown will happen on the home planet, and the big showdown we witnessed was just an unnecessary intermediate showdown so that they can get a sequel out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭kerplun k

thats one thing you can say about ZS. He brings a unique, visual and personal style to his films.

if he learns any lessons from AotD and Rebel Moon, it’s he should never write, direct and produce his films.

His best works IMO are Dawn of the Dead, a very solid, entertaining zombie flick, followed by Man of Steel, arguably the best of the DCEU. With both of these he just directed.

If he wants to get back to his best, maybe he should consider sharing the responsibility, with people he trusts.

Ive always found him to be a funny character, he genuinely comes across as a happy go lucky, positive, nice guy, yet his films are full of dark, nihilistic themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rowantree18

I'm a sucker for anything vaguely in this genre - Dune (read the book as a child, waited years for the film) LOTRs, even Conan......but had never heard of the comic stuff Rebel Moon is based on. Started watching and I like it.

Post edited by rowantree18 on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^ Spoiler much?

Finished this up and suffice to say I shan't be watching Part 2; not least because as cliffhangers go it was the most badly structured, poorly teased ending I've seen in a while. More like the end of a pilot episode than some dramatic cinematic needle drop like your Empire Strikes Back and whatnot.

Back in the day, trash like this has a certain brio and sense of fun or self awareness; it would have been a Cannon film, starred some jobbing actors looking for an easy paycheque and had fúck all budget but a tonne of spunk. Instead, reheated and derivative pop culture gets a giant Netflix paycheque, and unfettered control given to a director who needs constraint cos he sure doesn't understand tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Exactly this. So unoriginal. So many scenes just straight clones of other movies. The script and dialogue was just hard work . And that Irish accent, just so bad and then it's mumbled I need subtitles to check what he said. All just feels generic.

Personally I can't warm to Ed Skein.

Visually it's impressive. Perhaps the 2nd part will be better.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Terrible movie.

Cool to see the 2 Daarios from Game of Thrones in it.

Advertisement