Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel Moon - Netflix - Zack Snyder

Options
  • 18-06-2023 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭

I thought there was a thread started already and there probabaly is somewhere however we all know the search is terrible here.

Netflix starting to release more promo stuff now ahead of the Christmas release.

I have to say I am looking forward to seeing what he does here.

Behind the scenes promo

Poster

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As with any Zack Synder movie, we know it'll look good; and the great thing about Space Opera is you can go as wild and imaginative as you want (budget allowing). So I'm hoping that "Synder does Star Wars" amounts to if nothing else, decent entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,057 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

"Snyder is looking to shake up the movie industry with Rebel Moon by not only cutting the movie into two parts, but introducing two versions for each part, one focused for all ages, and one for adults. He’s also making a “ridiculous scale” RPG video game based on Rebel Moon, with the hopes that this will become a major IP for Snyder and Netflix"

I hope it will make money back if only on Netflix

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

with the hopes that this will become a major IP for Snyder and Netflix"

Welp. There's the kiss of death; remember that the Army of the Dead film was also supposed to kickstart & open-up some suite of spin-offs and "universe" of content. Time and time again studios get caught looking like fools when they talk up Shared Universe before the first thing has even come out - just make a good movie, people. Then talk expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Are you saying you didn't see Army Of Dead Thieves or whatever? It's cannon!

You're completely right though. It's one thing after a movie releases to test the waters for interest in a sequel, while also playing it down "oh, we've got a few interesting ways we think things could go, but whatever happens" etc it's another to be be so far ahead of demand with these sort of plans.

It's clearly an in-thing to do though - there's endless chatter of spins-offs as soon as a movie is released now. Ana de Armas spin-off from Bond, Lemon & Tangerine prequel for Bullet Train, everything Star Wars, everything GoT, Donnie Yen for John Wick, endless...

I'm not Snyder-fanboy. I'll still find time to watch whatever this turns out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teaser trailer due to drop tomorrow,

It will be a two parter with both parts having being shot back to back.

(2023) Rebel Moon: Part One -A Child of Fire.

(2024) Rebel Moon: Part Two - The Scargiver

• Advertisement

Somewhere in Netflix's executive suites: please please please be a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Any chance they might go a bit crazy and you release it in Cinemas where any decent film should be released?

If this is as good as it looks like it could be then please/ hopefully they will release it in the Cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Synder's films can never be accused of not having visceral and arresting trailers - it's the actual movie that too often is the banana skin. So by all accounts the trailer was as intriguiing as I'd thought it might be - though anyone expecting anything different beyond Synder's usual visual tics will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Released on Netflix December 22nd so I’d guess the cinema release will be a week earlier. Hopefully it gets a release here I’d love to see it on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,057 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It definitely looks like an epic visual adventure for the big cinema screen

Looks like a mix of Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Dune and Lord of the Rings 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Another tech product form a tech company. Bland CGI slop. A film without authentic cinematography is not a proper film.

The Chronicles Of Riddick laced with computer effects and released in 2005 looked better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Looked like about seven different movies cobbled together in a fan trailer. No idea what Hopkins what talking about or the context of any given scene. Also, extremely on the nose 'Nazi' uniforms for one of the groups - I'm guessing they're the baddies? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McFly85

Zack Snyders Dune: A New Hope by the looks of it.

Usually Snyder has a trailer that’s entertaining enough to make me want to check out the full thing, which is generally rubbish, but this doesnt even have that going for it.

This looks like bits of sci-fi Snyder likes cobbled together as an excuse for 2 films worth of CGI nonsense that takes itself entirely too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If I saw that trailer without knowing it was a Zack Snyder, I'm pretty sure I'd have guess it was 🙂

I think it'll depend on the story really. He's got the look of a blockbuster film all figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I was thinking the exact same thing about Hopkins. I have no idea what this movie is about. It looks amazing but theres a lot happening. Were both movies already filmed? maybe thats why the trailer is so long.

Nazis mixed with Warhammer 40k by the looks of it. Absolutely a mish-mash of universes and stories; like I said Synder cuts a good trailer.

As far as I can infer: Sofia Boutella is some secret princess living on a backwater planet, and I guess(?) it's discovered she's the inheritor of the throne taken during some war & is the rightful heir.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Well, it was about time someone came out with an updated "Children of the Revolution"... I remember playing that in my garage 20 years ago... cracking song.

trailer looks utterly mental. I'm still interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Charlie Hunnam doing a northern Irish accent?

I noticed that too, very weird. Definitely feels like he's doing something.

On a related note I had seen Synder admitted the attempted "Army of the Dead" shared universe was itself dead, an upcoming cartoon has been canned. Wonder if this will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Backrond environment looks fuzzy and lacks clarity. It looks like a computer game. Killzone 1 comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Will this be released in the cinema? Looks like a good cinema film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That is.... all over the shop!

Costume design and slow motion do not a good movie make. Practically every single scene in that trailer could be replaced by something from another movie.

From Neil Patrick Harris' Nazi outfit in Starship Troopers to the Reaver chase at the start of Serenity to Boromir at Osgiliath. The obligatory "What do we do?" "We FIGHT". Snyder's typical muted colour palette and some REAL dodgy-looking digital backgrounds.. I have yet to be impressed by anything he made. The very epitome of Style over Substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"Tell me Zack, what movies inspired you when producing Rebel Moon?"

"Yes"

I really want to like Zack Snyder. I know he has a style, I know he's capable of delivering great shots.

Dawn Of The Dead was a great debut. 300 is a guilty pleasure. Watchmen Extended Cut is solid.

But after that - he copy/pastes his stylistic choices onto on less suitable projects, and ramps up the reliance on them, and the issues with everything else become amplified.

That's it, he has style but I'm not convinced he actually understands anything beyond "does it look cool?". And plenty of directors do that nothing wrong with it - only they'll often have their films display a sense there's something going on between the ears at the same time. Watchman is a good example TBH 'cos while it was ostensibly faithful to the novel, the fetishisation of the heroes' and their violence was completely at odds with the themes of the actual comic itself. Synder simply filmed stuff that looked awesome but accidentally validated the very interrogation of superheroes' flirtation with fascism or psychosis the book was known for.

Twinned with a really weirdly aggressive fanbase online that often makes his work hard to discuss by Essayists, as they nearly always get dogpiled on óver any minor critique. It's odd and have seen it said by a few authors online: criticise Synder and you gonna get attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Funny I was thinking that it reminded me of Serenity too. not that that's a bad thing, looking forward to watching when it comes out.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement