Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion - Summer 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Chance of a few Welsh imports later tonight along the East/SE but the best potential was always tomorrow to Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If you refresh lightning.org after a few moments those strikes off wexford disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Another big storm about to arrive at Heathrow Airport - Live stream here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

On WOW One of the stations in east Donegal that was under torrential rain recorded 36mm today

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

The storm south of Ayr is pretty impressive in itself! Look at the density of not just the current sferics, but also the cluster of older red ones to the SE

• Advertisement

Just walking from train station here and I can actually see the tops of the storm over Scotland from here. They must be tall! I’m inland near Lough Neagh so they are far away from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Some sunshine getting going in the south midlands albeit very milky sunshine. Feeling very balmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

is lighting maps always this inaccurate? tis popping mad all afternoon!

It often puts strikes quite a bit away from storm centres, but usually removes them after a few minutes.

Its data comes from amateur detectors. So it’s susceptible to poor setups and tuning I guess

• Advertisement

Scottish storm immediately losing its juice as it goes out over water

Cluster of storms over the Lake District are tracking towards eastern NI, but I’m sure they’ll die too once they get over the sea.

Look at this strike density over Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My wife is sitting on a plane at Dublin airport waiting for a take off slot to Poland. Restrictions over the UK bring cited as the reason. Looking at the lightning maps I'm not surprised.

Fair play to the Arome Sat IR animation. It seems to get things pretty bang on. It predicted yesterdays storms very well. Showed the anvil dissipating and tracking NW over Ireland to give us today's muck. Has predicted todays storms really well too (see below) and predicts the anvil to dissipate and track over Ireland tomorrow again (further below). So tomorrow looks like repeat of today with wasted sun, heat, and storm potential.

At this point, I think our best weather and storm chances will come on Thur and Fri when the weather over England has hopefully become drier and more stable.

Can see some towering cumulus to the east of me through gaps in the cloud

The Lake District storms actually have my interest right now even though they are essentially dead. There is new cumulus develop taking place in the Irish Sea from it. And it's tracking this direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There are showers developing over us near Limerick City. It is getting very dark under the clouds. It is only giving outbreaks of light to moderate rainfall. No thunder or lightning yet.

There is a faster NW motion to the storms from Wales / England, etc this evening. And the Lake District born storms appear to be growing over the Irish Sea again. They have become electrified again. The storm that died over the west coast of Scotland has also decided to light up again.

Going absolutely mad across NW England right now. Isle of Man maybe get a good show soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I could be wrong but the remnants of the clouds from the UK storms appeard to be heading for northern ireland, hopefully that will give us a clearer skies tomorrow from midlands southwards, west look best to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

whats the chances for the east later on tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Perhaps a distant showers. The showers you speak of are surface based so they lose all their mojo as soon as they move from land to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

New sferics in Irish Sea with renewed convection off Anglesey

I think a good bit of the east will be getting the remnants from about 9am onwards,. It has a tendency to fan out as it spreads westwards. We need the thunderstorm activity to end in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

lightning detected off Hollyhead

Arome Sat animation doesn't have it clearing the east coast until about 4pm tomorrow

Cell brewing on the Wexford coast. Looking SE from here and the sky is very heavy

Growing on the latest radar return.

• Advertisement

Two strikes just east of Wicklow hd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement