Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion - Summer 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Taking my watch with a telemeter scale so I can measure the distance to all these storms today 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

Thunderstorm warning has just been trimmed in NI to just the western most counties. I still live in hope of spotting some evening lightning if I can see cells far away enough from where I live 🤣

Although by evening the action may be far off to the south and west of Irish Midlands :(

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

aaand 15 minutes later it has clouded over again and temp has dropped back a few degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FurrySlippers

The rain around midnight last night (Cabinteely), was pretty epic. Kept dialling up, possibly the heaviest I have heard in Ireland. Only a fee rumbles , and one big flash.

Once it stopped, you could hear all the gutters and drains earning their keep.

The humidity at 8pm yesterday was incredible for Ireland. So I knew we'd get a soaking.

Surprised there was no spot flooding.

Similar at 4.50 am when I woke (bathroom - middle-aged curse).

Up here it actually doesn't feel as humid as lately. Currently 20/16 with a fresh feeling breeze.

Felt the change in how close it feels leave yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

Already a line of beefy convection over the central Midlands. Some white radar returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Was going to post the same. Similar 20/16c here in north Dublin too. Feels very fresh compared to some recent days.

A lot of clear weather to my SE and West but there's enough clinging to East Dublin coast to make it totally overcast now. Hopefully it's of the passing variety and not that coastal hugging dross that keeps back building for the next few hours. Won't be any storms overhead here I reckon so let's get some hot sun.

EDIT: Cloud bank has retreated back towards the coast and it’s clear overhead now, and the air is becoming much more heavy. Should get the warmest day of the year in my parts quite easily if this holds for a bit.

Post edited by John.Icy on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A fairly broad warning up, I suspect just guesswork

Seven Worlds will Collide

I often think that exact locations of storms cannot be predicted that accurately. At the end of the day, where exactly the cap breaks is going to be pretty random within a wide area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

12pm and the Sun has broken through, 5 hours of heat ahead to get us through to kick-off time of 5pm. look out for rapid high cloud formation starting at around 4pm

• Advertisement

Some cumulus towers about 20 to 30 miles to my west are going up about 10,000 feet or so now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Very warm in Dublin since early this morning. Have to wear a suit now for my daughter's confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

One of my colleagues just rang me from templemore. Torrential hail and thunder/lightning overhead. It's kicking off in north tipp.

lightning plots

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice early start, could be an interesting day!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Almost 26c now in the south Midlands... I see 20c dewpoints around too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,422 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Heavy rain just starting now in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fresh cell kicking off south of Birr. New strikes showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder in Kildare now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That Cell near Thurles set to grow, nice cold top firming, could make it into the West I would think. Just back from Foynes, like a steam bath, sun very warm during breaks in the cloud,flat calm ,no sea breeze had kicked in yet, very humid back in Tralee, where there are breaks can see convection growing. Looks like convection growing in N Kerry. Donegal / Sligo could kick off shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭highdef

Have arrived at the house in Longford. Rain only cleared a couple of hours ago. Very strong suffering the past half hour since I arrived. Temperature up to 27° now and humidity is at 78%

It's going to be more active this afternoon that expected, going by reports and satellite imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's a pity east Leinster is likely to miss out on the blooming storms, God knows we could do with the rainfall.

Although I do accept that lightning can be devastating to livestock,crops and property in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...feck off, im donning my tinfoil hat, and going looking for those storms, im invincible!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Sone convention looking south from trim Co meath

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jealous of the set up/activity at home. All I get to see here in Kos is distant Cbs everyday over Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Hopefully I get thunderstorms this afternoon or even at all today in carrick on shannon, its warmer for sure today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yeah, on a holiday to Turkey a number of years back (in June) it was a daily occurrence for storms to quickly pop up over the mountains north of Marmaris. Terrain playing a role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Looks to be shaping up nicely for the Thunderstorm capital here in the west.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement