Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo EX30

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is it known yet who is the battery supplier for the LFP battery on these.

LFP batteries are more sensitive to cold weather than NMC.

So I'm wondering how Volvo manages keeping battery as warm as possible during winter use - especially when needing to charge.

Edit

Have seen reports that the battery supplier is CATL for LFP but have also seen mention of REPT*.

I see there's an official Facebook group so I've "applied" to join.

*WHO??? you might be asking - yes my thoughts exactly. Thankfully the CATL reports are more recent.

Post edited by Old diesel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Went for a test drive earlier, I only had it on the road on my own for around 20 minutes but it seemed promising.

I had a single motor Ultra, didn't get to try the dual motor yet. Was nice to drive, very smooth and felt nimble enough. Our XC40 feels like it weighs what it does, the EX30 was much more nippy. Mind you, although it quotes 5.3 for the 0-100, it didn't feel super fast. Quick but I expected a bit more shove back in the seat.

Few differences to the other Volvos we've had over the years. Right stalk is for selecting D/R/P so wipers and indicators are both on the left stalk, both having an unusual setup, I'm sure I'd get used to it after an hour or two. Indicator tick is very quiet too. Similarly the HK soundbar was strange at first, all the sound coming from the front, sound was decent but I'd say a bit of tweaking in the settings and it would be better.

But it has plenty of space (I'm 1.87m) and the usual Volvo level comfy seats with good adjustment. Screen is crystal clear and shows all the info that you'd want. One pedal mode seemed alright, not too severe on the regen, I do wish it had paddles though. 360 cameras good too, I would need Ultra spec for gadgets.

I'm hoping to get another one for a bit of an extended test drive. Deffo under consideration for later in the year if I change.

Any questions, just shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

I'd say the cold performance has been well tested. Gothenburg is about 5 degrees colder than Dublin in winter and the northern Sweden has average temperature of -15ºC in January. When did you ever see a Volvo that was not designed for winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

Thanks for the info about your test drive. Question about the one pedal drive. Does it bring to a complete stop and then hold? One of the most relaxing features on my Ioniq 5 is cruising to a stop in traffic and not having to worry about rolling backwards or forwards.

Also, does the interior feel solid and fairly premium?

I only tried one pedal mode briefly on my drive but I’m pretty sure that I did come to a complete stop with it at traffic lights. I remember comparing the pedal modulation with my Honda. Our electric XC40 does have auto hold on one pedal so would be surprised if the EX30 didn’t.

Does pretty much every EV not come to a stop and hold in one pedal mode?

Interior was nice enough, felt solid. The light blue breeze interior is the nicest option in my opinion. Don’t think I’ve ever been in a Hyundai of any sort so can’t compare to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Depends on the model.

On most, if you set the one-pedal to max it will come to a full stop. Or you can set it to 'Low' and it will apply less brake pressure for re-gen and not come to a full stop on its own.

Volvos have one pedal mode as on or off. No levels or paddles.

The XC40 also has an Auto mode which acts a bit like radar cruise in traffic, EX30 didn’t have this.

My Honda has paddles with four levels of regen. Then another three levels of full one pedal. Total overkill but I’m used to and like it after a couple of years.

Thanks for the info.

Ioniq 5 is way too complicated regen wise in my opinion. Four levels of regen plus iPedal and an auto mode.

Happy to hear EX30 just has one plus one pedal drive.

Just talking with Airside. They have cars in for demo also.

Hopefully get a chance to drive one before the end of the week.

Update.

Just back from an extended test drive (sales guy just told me to come back when I want so I went home, then to work and back).

Initial impressions. Steering very light but found the setting to firm it up. Regen not as strong as the Ioniq 5 but one pedal drive still works effectively.

Seats very comfortable and easy to find a good driving position. Infotainment appears to work with no lag and is easy to navigate to what you want. Found the mirror adjustment easily enough. Not having speedo in front of driver a non issue for me.

Interior space is fine for my needs. Obviously smaller than Ioniq 5 but I was able to sit in the back behind driver with seat set to me (I'm 6'1") very comfortably. Interior quality seems very good with nice materials. Nice to have proper door handles on the outside. Climate works well and easy to use even without physical buttons.

Single motor plenty enough. Feels about the same as my old Cupra 300 on acceleration to 100. ACC works with no drama. LKA wasn't intrusive and I deliberately left it on.

My one issue (though a small one) was the silver Harmon Kardon logo on the soundbar reflecting in the windscreen. Not a dealbreaker.

Overall, very impressive package and mine should be arriving early to mid April.

Ask away if you have any q's

• Advertisement

What spec/colour/interior did you go for?

I didn't notice the HK logo reflecting during my own brief test drive but I do remember noticing it in Mat Watson's YT review alright.

Single motor, extended range, plus spec. White with Indigo interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Nope. That went 4 years ago. Was a great car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Yeah v hard to find one now and holding their value so well - Zucars have a 2018 asking a firm 29k.

VIN and order details have appeared in the Volvo app.

Listed as In Production

Anyone with an order gotten a firm delivery date yet?

Airside being a tad vague still, stating Early April.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

The 480 was a disaster in the winter. Going back while I know!

I note Volvo offering PCP at 1.9% across their range.

Lets hope they honour that for my order.

Hopefully you do get the cheaper %.
    We have one coming for the 242 reg, no finance though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Soarer

Does the EX have heated rear seats in any guise?

They agreed to the 1.9% without any argument.

Still no eta though despite reassurance that it will arrive between 15-20th April. Not holding my breath!

Advertisement