Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo EX30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I hate this move towards not having a binnacle/instrument panel. Yeah sure you get used to it quickly but it to me it's just cost saving for the manufacturers like Tesla and Volvo which they label as some sleek minimalist design decision

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I love it!

It was similar years ago on the Toyota Yaris so it’s not a new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Id disagree about the battery size, I think most peoples use case that is plenty of battery and we should be moving away from 70Kwh + batteries when not needed. I mean the amount of times i've read people say they charge their cars once a week says to me the battery in their car may be too big for their particular use case. Granted its more convenient when taking a long trip, but from a resources POV why not make 3 50kwh batteries instead of 2 75 kwh ones? then make the cars cheaper

I personally think it plays a big role in efficiency. Saves a lot of weight in extra cabling and instrument clusters. Id even guess the dropping of the indicator stalks on the new M3 highland has to do with weight (and of course cost) saving..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If you like the design of no instrument cluster or even stalks like the new M3 that's subjective and up to you of course but to make some sort of justification that it benefits the car in some way is fanciful at best. These things are max going to be a couple of kg in a 2000kg car. It's down to either cost savings or shift in design language by Volvo, maybe a bit of both seeing how well it's worked for Tesla.

• Advertisement

I don't actually like it but dont mind it either. Don't own a tesla, but rented a M3LR for about 2 weeks in Italy and the lack of Instrument cluster didn't bother me. However just look at what's going on with door handles, apparently the flush ones reduce drag and of course they do at the expense of ergonomics. A few Kgs saved in an EV will reflect in better efficiency/WLPT and there is where the competition in EV world is

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Going by the prices on the website it's not that great of a deal? The dual motor one seems to be more than a long range model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭fafy

There is, but for odd some reason, it is not coming up on searches, i went to see one a few weeks ago

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058298633/volvo-ex30/p1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod: Couldn't find it when searching myself, merged them now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Remember when Honda changed the gear gator on the NSX-R to a mesh fabric instead of leather on the normal NSX to save a few grams?

Every little helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭derekreilly

Who wouldn't like a review beside a busy hairpin turn just outside Barcelona on the side of a hill of the Volvo EX30....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Balsamnews

Yeah only value is the performance one, the single motor battery is too small for its price

What's a long trip for you?

This thing wouldn't even make it from Limerick to Dublin Airport at 120km/h in winter on a single charge, for €40,000 I would want more range than a city car like a Zoe

Resources lol, there is enough batteries for demand now.

Anyway 60kWh+ is needed for that price range

200km motorway range in winter just doesn't cut it in 2024 sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DrPsychia

There's always people who don't really care about price or getting the best spec or range for their 40-50k budget, but want something a bit different. I'm certainly not one of those buyers but there's plenty who are. New Volvos aren't marketed to the budget conscious.

Me neither, I would expect a lot from 40k

I might be out of the loop, but I don't think Volvo are anymore upmarket than VW, Kia etc these days, maybe 10-20 years they competed with BMW, Audi, Lexus but today? They are Chinese now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Wouldn’t agree on that, wife’s driving an electric XC40 at the moment and my father has a new model Niro EV, the Volvo interior is a million times nicer to be in than the Kia or an ID.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DrPsychia

I disagree. Regardless of volvo being owned by a chinese conglomerate they made really nice cars, for the past 15 years. The faclelift xc90 was a jackpot for them. Much nicer than any Korean brand or VW. Product design and development still based in Sweden. The new ex90 looks amazing and can't wait to see it in person. I'd pick a ex90 over a bmw iX every day of the week

I think your right then, apologies, showing my ignorance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

No ex30 in the country until January for test drives is that correct ? That’s what I’ve been told by a dealer anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

As was I.....

Fella I was talking to implied there was some kind of delay - ie as if the demos should have come earlier then January if things had been on track.

I wonder if the first customer cars will be on the same consignment as the demos.

I've not ordered one yet - waiting until I drive one before making that decision.

Pine interior and crystal white I'm thinking with the 51 kwh LFP pack

I agree its expensive for what it is and maybe 60Kwh is needed for that price range, my argument is everyone seems caught up in the range hype when they don't really need that much range/battery. your last statement proves this point. 200km @ 120km/h in winter has a place in 2024. In Fact i'd say for a majority of people.

I'm not saying there are people who don't travel limerick to dublin, im saying there are in the minority and the 70 kwh+ cars would suit them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

EV Puzzle on YouTube is saying the EX30 he ordered in June will be built on 21st of November.

Delivered in UK in mid February

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Anyone interested , spirit Volvo in Sandyford have 3 x ex30s in showroom today

One of them is going to a pop-up display in Dundrum tomorrow I believe. I’m only down the road so going to spin up to Spirit in the morning for a look.

Will also check out the revised Tesla Model 3 and the Polestar 3 while I’m up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ricey3509

I’m considering upgrading our i3 (we need something with a little more range now) so went to have a look at the ex30 in Joe Duffy’s this morning. It’s smaller than I expected but it’s a seriously good looking car in the flesh. Build quality seemed very good, seats very comfortable and the driving position was very good - only downside is the size. While head room is great the knee room in the back is non existent if the driver or passenger is tall (as I am).

I suspect they will sell a ton of them!

tbh the more I look around the more I’m leaning towards getting another late model i3 , it’s still a cracking small car.

I went for a look in Spirit this morning too, it really does look great. They have a white Ultra spec with the dark blue/indigo interior.

I’m trying to figure out what to replace my Honda e with, so the size was fine, I just want something fairly compact with gadgets. Agree about backseat space, I’m also fairly tall so not much behind me, but that’s the same in most cars and I very rarely have anyone in the back anyway. Loads of front seat space and boot was grand. Some cheapo recycled door material lower down but the material is a bit interesting so mostly gets away with it

Had a look at the revised Tesla Model 3 while I was in Sandyford, it’s a decent upgrade to the current model. I’m half thinking of one just because of the value they offer.

Will wait for a test drive of the EX30 in Jan and see how it drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Saw this in Dundrum today. It's very small.

Spirit called me yesterday. He said that they have four registered and available to test drive, all Ultra spec, three single motor, one dual.

Might be able to spin up to them in the morning, will update if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

Interesting. Wonder if Airside have got any.

I will be interested to hear how you get on as have an order in.

Advertisement