Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Drought conditions?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The drought comes to and end today for most places with rain or showers about. Of course a few places will remain dry but those places could have rain or showers tomorrow. Showers and thunderstorms also possible first half of the working week so the drought is likely to be over everywhere within the next 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup a stream of rain coming up from the Southeast so that line will see at least 10mm

Rain all day likely in Sligo just like Met Eireann didn't say....AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

NE Kildare. Raining most of the day but wont make much of a difference. Drizzly misty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

First rain in 3 weeks but only a tiny trace amount. More fell to the west.

Not much difference for most.

Soil moisture deficits (SMDs) across all soil types currently range from 50 to 65mm over northern half of the country, ranging 60 to 75mm elsewhere with growth becoming increasingly restricted. With forecasted showers over the coming days, there will be some reduction in the SMDs but it is very dependent on where the heavy or thundery showers occur. However, for most areas, SMDs will continue to range from 45 to 70mm with growth continuing to be restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So with 26 days (as more than 0.2mm has fallen today), Dublin Airport had its longest absolute drought since 1955.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Soil moisture in Cobh went from 13% (the joint lowest I've seen it) up to 21% following a good bit of rain yesterday morning and a bit of fog today.

Don't know how much rain fell as my rain sensor is up a high pole and is blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

It’s a lot of things but great isnt a word I’d be using- worrying is more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

By Wednesday the drought will likely be over in most places. A band of showers will move Westwards tomorrow. These showers will be slow moving and thundery. Tuesday will see shower activity again in many areas that have escaped up till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Will probably see them form my place as they pass by😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

If there were no weather forecasting apps today is one of those mornings where you can 'smell the rain coming' in Dublin. I hope so anyway, my little garden does

Yeah the drought is pretty much over now.

Some serious spell though. We just don't get 30 days or so of bone dry weather and decent temps in Ireland. Hopefully we get another a few spells of it this summer.

There is a chance of thunderstorms all week according to Met Eireann, I think different places will get them throughout the week. You will be unlucky not to have one at some stage.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Surely the drought must be continuing in large parts of the country still. We got rain last Friday night but you wouldn't even know it now and growth is very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think many here are referring to the statistical absolute drought which ended for nearly all stations the weekend, not to do with soil moisture deficits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some parts of Kilkenny have gotten very little rain, a few mm at most.

Lot more rain needed for the farmers and gardeners!!!

Farming commentary sounds very wet for the west. Over 7 inches of rain for Finner over the next week.

Rainfall totals are forecast to be above average countrywide, but especially in the west where up to four times the norm for this time of year is expected. This equates to 110mm at Athenry, Galway and 181mm at Finner, Donegal.

Drought is far from over,some places have seen no rain yet or only trace amounts. None forecast until the weekend at the earliest(if it comes).

It's looking unsettled for some of next week due to a more Atlantic influence, so places that still have drought conditions should see them come to an end by then. The last week of June it might settle down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's rained 4 days in a row now in Sligo just showers mind but back to form again. I'd say much fewer dry days here now. Usually once it breaks it stays broke.

• Advertisement

The same was said last week about this week so lets see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Not as much as a drop in my part of carlow since the 11th May. Everywhere is brown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

We had a decent enough 12mm a few days back, south coast near Waterford but the soil was so dry it hardly penetrated. Where I have a thick mulch around plants the rain hasn't even got as far as the soil. Spent last night out with the pump in the river and giving everything a soak because some plants were starting to look a bit sad. Friday morning through to Saturday lunch time looks good for another 12mm which we still need.

Wake me up when it's all over.

No significant spells of rain which was needed so far. We did get a bit but it hasn't really had the desired impact on vegetation, grass or flowers. Amazing weather for us really. Wouldn't it be great if we could get this for 8 - 12 weeks of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I park under a tree and this morning quite a few leaves on the windscreen. Silver Birch, Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dry, bone dry pretty much everywhere despite recent showers, from https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farming

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

60 mm SMD is about right based on my veg garden.

0.9 mm in the last 24 hours.

9.3 mm this week.

North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Packrat

Nothing at all here on Kerry part of Beara.. Hopefully in the morning.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

This is day 27 without any meaningful rain in this part of West Mayo. A few showers in the past week but they didn't even dampen the soil. It hasn't been a problem apart from having to water young plants. Some more intensive farmers have likely found it tough to keep grass in front of cows but for the most part it has been delightful. It's likely to break in the next few hours but I note Arome which has been very on the ball lately giving very low totals here today while other models are giving us a soaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Kilkenny must be the driest areas in the south east, despite showery rain moving north, parts of Kilkenny have received hardly anything so far.

Advertisement