Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do traditional hurling counties honestly want hurling to grow or stay as is?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Correct the old order will always look after themselves even KK sportingly gave Wexford a chance yesterday 😂😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Don't think that's the case really.

If hurling was so intrinsically impossibly, skillful as some fellas like to pretend it is then close to the 100% of the people that have been able to master it wouldn't all live in the southern half of Ireland.The fact that such a relatively high percentage of the people who have tried the game have been able to excel at it (compared to other sports) shows you it isn't really that difficult a sport at all.

People don't tend to play it because there is no tradition in their club or county, that is the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Limerick lost one and drew one and are in the Munster final... Fine margins in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Rosita

And won more games than Cork, Tipperary and Waterford so are deservedly in the Munster Final. Margins are often not so fine as people think.

I think the thrust of that referred to the fact that Offaly (for example) are now in the last 8 despite playing no top teams while better teams are out. Does seem a strange advantage to give a team not able to win the Joe McDonagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

He did but it's just a carrot for these teams for each season to give them a shot at the big boys , he could have said they shouldn't be in it without referencing how it was unfair Cork are no longer in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭hurlaway

How is it unfair on Cork they won only 1 match from 4 how many chances should they get cork are not out because Offaly and Carlow are in same goes for waterford

Yeah, one point in one game and it would have been a different table, That to me is fine margins. And I don't see that as a bad thing, it makes the competition more interesting.

How boring is the Premier League with the same teams running away with it every year or a Leinster Rugby home game against an Italian team.

Of course if different teams won the games the table would be different. Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The top brass do not want a 'newbie' coming in and taking over the show

Hypothetically, if a New York/London started offering lads massive money to come over and work there. If they ended up walking the Championships there'd be uproar

Likewise, if someone like a Wicklow pumped massive money into their academy for the next few years, if it all came to fruition, there'd be jealousy, spite and multitudes of excuses

• Advertisement

My point is that it was a very very close tournament this year. Closer than some would give it credit for

As long as there was no smell of professionalism nobody would care too much. As it stands there is nothing stopping either from happening in the current system

London or Wicklow could in theory win Christy Ring, Joe McDonnagh and then the All-Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Exactly, genuine hurling people want weaker counties to get stronger and the game in general to get more popular countrywide. There's definitely a desire for more teams competing in the liam McCarthy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I wouldn't consider myself a "genuine hurling person" but the competition is called the "all Ireland" and I do believe it lives up to that name as much as it can

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ValentiahYes

The GAA need to incentivise clubs to go dual in the long term. There are some counties with only 5/6 hurling clubs.

They will never in a million years be able to compete with counties who in single clubs alone are fielding 3/4 adult teams.

It’s odd that every club in the country is allocated a couple of tickets for the All Ireland hurling final despite the fact less than half of them actually don’t even field a hurling team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would be a quick fix if the GAA was arsed to get as many clubs as possible to field under age hurling teams to under 12 at least. Especially any decent sized clubs. Fine the clubs that don't bother their hole fielding a team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I couldn’t help but notice Donal Og was at it again making a snide remark about Leinster Hurling on TSG. Something about how ‘we thought the Leinster Final would be the reading room equivalent’ I don’t think it is a ‘put on act’ with him. It is just in his nature, can’t help himself. And any praise he gives Leinster is through gritted teeth. Awful attitude. Pity as he is a good technical analyst.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Iecrawfc

That wouldn't be spreading the game though would it? It would be just buying a team which everybody would be against, if Wicklow started off underage and had a competitive senior team in time then all counties, whether traditional or not, would be applauding, same for Carlow, Westmeath, Kildare, Offaly who have improved underage and are more competitive at senior as a result, I don't see any of the traditional counties having jealousy, spite or excuses, that's all in your head I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Is there anything as tiresome as this Leinster vs Munster hurling arguments...last year Wexford nearly beat Clare, Cork nearly beat Galway, Kilkenny hammered Clare and Galway and KK nearly beat Limerick...top 3 in both are about the same, it's only that Munster 5 teams are a similar level, Leinster not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Treble double

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But the point is it is snide stuff slagging off your own sport it is an odd mindset. Football does not have that mindset at all, hurling seems extremely parochial in comparison. And growth is discouraged rather than encouraged.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

That's not entirely true. My home club has no hurling teams and are never allocated All-Ireland hurling final tickets. They get 4 each year for the football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

Just on the OP, I lived and played gaelic football and hurling (very badly!) in Cork in the 1980's when Offaly hurling was at its peak. The absolute disdain and condescending attiude down there to Offaly at the time was incredible. Not everyone obviously, but here was a decent percentage of GAA folk who couldn't handle the fact that a non traditional county was winning All-Irelands.

When Cork beat Offaly in the final in Thurles in 1984, it was basically just "normal service resumed"!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cork have that attitude in general its not just an Offaly thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The top brass would be welcoming of new teams if they bring crowds with them. The McDonagh is a great level but the counties involved are not getting great support from their own people.

Football brought in a open draw in Munster. It is good for the footballers of Clare, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford but they are not bringing the support of their own people. The result is Munster finals with poor crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Relegation to become much more of a threat if these proposals are adopted.

“There will be a number of options going out to counties within the next week,” confirmed GAA director of club, player and games administration Feargal McGill. “But there is no huge rush on that, the reason being that if a new structure comes in for the National Hurling League it will come in for 2025.

“In that case, what we will need to do in 2024 is make counties aware of what’s going to happen. For example, if you finish fifth in Division 1B, this is where you will be next year.

“Counties will have about a month to come back to us about what their preference is. They will have three new structures to consider – they won’t be rocket science – or the current structure.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

John Fogarty is reporting that the majority of McDonagh Cup players want the All-Ireland preliminary quarter-finals to remain.

76% of respondents from the nine counties want the pathway to the All-Ireland retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

Good enough for me. If they want to keep it, leave them have it. Given how the championship pans out now, it doesn't make a difference to the scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

As a former hurler, I recognise the insane talent it takes be elite in the sport, but as a televised sport I feel it's almost unwatchable due to the speed of the ball/play and that will severely limit it's audience outside of traditional counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You're not allowed to say that!

Isn't every hurling game on TV a classic and beyond criticism?

Advertisement