Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...yes some travelers are indeed serious players in our drug markets, but of course, not all are, dealers are coming from all walks of life, from lower classes to middle classes, and beyond....

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Nobody said that.

The point stands. İt's not an unbiased selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You might as well claim that elections are unbiased because they’re the people who come out to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

For a lad who uses, and advocates for drugs, you seem to live a sheltered life, parents have been paying off drug debts for years, as far back as the Celtic tiger times, I know people who used their SSIA savings back in the day to get dealers off their kids backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Your post is another good reason why I want to see legalization tried. Do you want these people to have 100% control of the market for eternity? I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Heres a good example of a Dublin Drug user killing a 76 year old recently. All part of Modern Irelands young having a brain fcuked from drug use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

98 comvictions, probably for violent acts and burglary as well. Working his way up to it. Unfortunately justice system removed the little scumbag from society too late. I'm guessing he attacked that guy simply because he was an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some on here would have you believe cocaine is as harmless as a bag of smarties

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

"Cocaine is fine, I use it all the time and don't have any problems."

"The Cocaine I use has nothing to do with gang violence here or in the country it originates from, that's nothing to do with me."

"Cocaine should be legalized like alcohol because then it would be safe like alcohol consumption is."

This is the mentality we're up against, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

• Advertisement

It also said he had drink (alcohol) taken on the night, you seem to be wrongly tarring most drug-users with the same brush. This tragedy shouldn't be blamed on drink or drugs. 98 convictions aged 24, the Criminal Justice system is to blame and maybe who was/were responsible for this individual's upbringing. Some posters want to see non-violent coke-users locked up in our overcrowded jails, if that were to happen, it's extremely likely more cases like this will occur.

Gang violence is a result of prohibition. If you support that failed, expensive and ineffective policy, then you should ask yourself why, instead of judging coke-users on their so-called lack of morality. We used to judge single women badly who wanted to have a different type of fun/enjoyment (sexual). Contraception and homosexuality were illegal. That has changed now, do you not think it's time to try a new approach with cocaine? Btw alcohol kills far more people than any illegal drug but I don't believe that should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Technically Smarties are worse for your health. Their preservatives contain carcinogens which can lead to fatal cancers such as Pancreatic cancer.

Cocaine is used by South American farmers in deep summer to help oxidise their lungs when they are cultivating their crops high up in the Andes plantations. They chew coca leaves like chewing tobacco, very common. It can also be synthesised into a famous global party drug taken by around 3-400 million people globally. They use it to get high and enjoy themselves. There is a growing misconception that it has the potential to have a negative influence on rural lifestyles. It doesn't, but it will enable bigots who are from the country deflect it as an urban problem.

Comparing rural drug abuse to urban drug abuse has the mental capacity of comparing the Fart smell of 25 year old from Trim with a 25 year old from Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ffs.

Smarties are worse for health than cocaine....what a gobsh1te view that is.

good man - obviously break time in the mental hospital when you typed that little Pearl of wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Of course if affects.

these people clog up A&E’s, healthcare in general the criminal justice system… robberies, assaults and other crimes..look up the stats

I just did. It said for emergency room visits alcohol was involved for 39.33%, cocaine 4.71% in 2021. It also said for preventable hospital admissions they seemed to be all legal drugs, warfarin, insulin, benzodiazepines etc. Criminal justice? that's because it's illegal, we spend (waste) millions on police, courts, prison, why. It has hardly been a success, they say about 10% of illegal drugs are intercepted, when I went to school that was a massive fail in an exam. Robberies? we both know many millionaires who have taken coke. The actor Robin Williams said "Cocaine is God's way of saying you're making too much money" but a lot of working class people enjoy a few lines without having to resort to theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Housefree

Cannabis is a factor in a lot of violent crimes as well, which never gets discussed. People debate cocaine, but cannabis is treated like organic lettuce by most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I would think a lot of cannabis been smoked these days is very potent - high strength stuff which is burning lots of peoples brain cells at a serious rate.

One time people used get a Wet Brain from too much alcohol , nowadays its a burnt Brain from too much cannabis!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The cocaine built Miami but it has destroyed Moycullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Richard Burke sentenced to 14 years in prison for manslaughter of Jasmine McMonagle - Highland Radio - Latest Donegal News and Sport

The court heard Mr Burke suffered with delusional disorder and cannabis induced psychosis.

his defense team didnt seem to think so . thankfully the court rejected it .

this is just from today but it is used on a daily basis by heavy cannabis users and their defense teams and is often accepted in other cases

Sorry, just to be clear. Are you saying it's good the court rejected his plea of cannabis induced psychosis?

They didn't. He was found guilty of manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility.

He also had a history of telling his friends "he’d like to throw Ms McMonagle in front of a bus and that he wished to strangle her."

This is very much an outlier case. This is not typical of cannabis users, even very serious users. It's obvious the cannabis didn't help, but there was something else going on inside his head.

My argument for legalisation is so the cannabis can be labelled correctly so you can decide what strength you wish to ingest. If alcohol was illegal, it would make sense for bootleggers to make higher percentage booze (smaller bottle sizes, less chance of getting caught.) If booze was ever banned, you wouldn't be able to buy a beer at 4%, but you would easily get a spirit like whiskey or poitin at 40%. It's very much the same way in the drug trade. One reason weed is getting ridiculously stronger (and too strong for many) is that it makes financial sense to a dealer to have very strong weed at a higher price.

It's probably not the quantity that's the problem, more the quality. Weed is being manufactured to be as strong as possible as it makes dealers more money. If it was legal, weaker strains would hit the market (and probably be more popular than super strength)

I think I mentioned it before, but just in case I didn't.

Drug abuse would always be a standard tool when defense solicitors are mitigating the sentences their clients are facing, hence it is always thrown in by them when defending clients

Beat your wife - sorry your honour I was on drugs at the time

Rob your tesco - sorry your honour I have a drug problem and spent all my dole on them so had to shoplift to survive

Attacked someone on the street - I was high on drugs , robbed a car - sorry on drugs etc etc .... ad lib to fade.

I saw 25000 people dancing around Marlay Park high on drugs last summer. We all had a blast, does that make us all criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭fire_man

Bit of an exaggeration to say 25,000 all on drugs don't you think.

In 1995 the NHS estimated that London was consuming over a 1 million ecstasy tablets every Saturday night. So no, I am not exaggerating.

Thankfully most large festivals have introduced free testing now for users, a very healthy option that the Dutch and Germans have been doing for 30 years.

The most telling aspect of the ecstasy boom in the UK was the dramatic decrease in violence which had previously been polluting the Soccer industry. Arrests and violent episodes in and around soccer venues and cities halved from 1990 - 1999. Even the hooligans were too loved up to start any rows. The ecstasy boom actually helped solve a national soccer hooligan crisis in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I read something from the RTÉ News app on Monday that 12,000 people are getting treatment for cocaine addiction here.

The striking thing to read from the article is that the number of people who are seeking drug addiction treatment while in paid employment had doubled since 2016.

Are most of that people included in those figures, from the HRB report, living in rural Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

Counties most affected were Dublin, Cork, Wicklow and Limerick. Counties with large urban or suburban areas. It doesn’t specify whether these people live in urban areas i.e cities, towns or villages or in suburban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

• Advertisement

No, it just means the Law is an Ass, as a famous writer said many years ago.

Advertisement