Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭HBC08

Because her drinking and the kids being awarded sole custody are facts.

The rest is an allegation.

Please tell me you understand the difference between the two?

People online genuinely scare me sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He doesn't need to deny the allegations.

That's exactly my point though. He didn't need (past tense) to deny them. He should have said nothing.

But once he decided to say something, then he had to be very clear that the allegations were not true.

Coming out with a statement that said a lot of things but didn't refute the allegations was lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There is case in front of the courts at the moment you are clearly unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

This is really the problem with the world these days.

Actual decisions by the courts after a legal investigation="ehh im not too sure about that"

Reddit/Social Media posts/whatsapp screenshots/rumours/whispers="guilty as charged mlord".

Modern world unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

You literally couldn't have used a worse example 🤣. As for the topic at hand Gallagher certainly has questions to answer the allegations are very specific and are easily refutable if untrue. Didn't Gallagher leave Fermanagh under a cloud as well something about wrecking a hotel room?

I saw 3 famous international comedians in the nip in vicar street , and it was funny 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

It doesn’t sit comfortably with me that this appears to have been an “open secret” for so long and nobody did anything but it’s not surprising. “Not my business, I’m not getting involved” spring to mind especially when the person stays in the relationship. Belleek are supporting her now as she has took the decision to publicly confirm what they all knew.

The online post reads like someone who has nothing left to lose. It most certainly was well written and didn’t read like a drunk having a rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Im always a bit skeptical in these type of things nowadays. Since my sister split up with her husband a few years ago and it was a bit messy with custody, house and stuff like that.

It all got sorted in the end but she told me that a mutual friend who had gone through a divorce decided to give her some advice at the time, which she didnt take thank god. She said to her, and i still am flabbergasted at this, - "Say he hit you a few times years ago and you will get everything".

So nowadays I need to see proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MacDanger

What would you have done if you lived in the community and had heard these rumours?

Deny , he has made his legally advised statement and was obviously advised not to deny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Truthfully, I would probably do exactly what the rest of the community did. Belleek is small and if I saw a woman who looked hurt I’d ask her if she was ok, did she need anything and if she didn’t, there’s not much else I would do but I’d say I would mention it within my own circle after. If I saw a man in Belleek with a black eye, I’d probably assume that there’d been another fight in the black cat cove and wait to hear about the inevitable chatter about it.

Outer circle of people who know them - talk about it between themselves hoping she jumps ship but knowing nothing they could do would change anything.

Inner circle - be there for her, advise her to get out but realise that decision is hers only.

I don’t know Nicola or Rory but I know Belleek. It has a bit of a Wild West reputation.

Strange. We've seen this before where people were advised not to deny specific allegations but claim they were cleared by the authorities and it usually comes out later why they didn't deny those specific allegations. A former DJ / presenter currently up in court comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It's just a claim Gallagher made? There's no basis to it?

Both your arguments are just he should've said this in his statement but he didn't so there must be guilt. Ridiculous. You're both going out of your way to attach meaning to things you don't see in a statement that you don't know anything about. It's a form of gaslighting.

As I've said the wagons are circling. It's the one thing I despise about the GAA to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What does "Belleek are supporting her" even mean?

Did all 1000+ people issue a joint statement? Did the spirit of Belleek take shape in human form and give an interview?

Or are we just talking about more social media posts here, with all the weight and integrity that implies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of some of the posters here. Couple of vindictive people. Can throw up an (unsubstantiated) nasty comment on facebook out of spite and see someone elses life crumble around them.

I have first hand experience of witnessing "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". And it's amazing what bitterness can do to the female species. Of course, I don't know what happened between RG and his wife. Not my business. I will just go on whatever findings were concluded on by the experts looking into the issues. Which I thought anyone with reasonable mind would do. But obviously not.

How many cases do we hear about these false assault accusations (sexual and otherwise) against guys with fame and money - soccer players etc. . The reputation of the man will always remain tarnished and the accuser generally gets off free. When I saw the reference to Paddy Jackson in an earlier post, I had to look up if he was actually found guilty or not. I just remember that he was in the "bad man" basket. as it turns out, he was innocent.

I agree with pretty much everything you say to be honest. However I think you'll find that false allegations are pretty rare. Yes they do happen but not in the numbers you are trying to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭celt262

The two specific allegations in her post took place in Clones and Enniscrone so we know nothing about whether they were even reported to Gardai or went to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

In the post, Nicola Gallagher claims she ended up in hospital several times, including with broken ribs and bites to the face. Presumably there are records of these hospitals visits. If she could produce them, these would surely prove the allegations to most people's satisfaction, unless there are posters here who believe that she broke her own ribs and bit her own face.

I am surprised he has chosen not to strenuously deny that he beat her, and even more surprised that some posters think he is correct not to.

If I was accused of beating my wife, I would be extremely strident in my denial of it (presuming I hadn't done it that is).

If any of my family members or friends were accused of beating their wives or partners, and they didn't deny it, I would be having a word. If any of my employees were accused of beating their wives or partners, and they chose not to deny it, I would fire them. If I was told by HR I couldn't fire them because of that, I'd find another reason to fire them. Men who beat their partners are filth, and any man worthy of the name would not allow a false allegation to stand without clearly and unequivocally denying it.

I don't know Mr. Gallagher, but if he was in my circle, we'd be having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

it is entirely possible for both things to be true, it may not be an either / or situation.

Her claims could be true and also she could have been an unfit mother resulting in him winning custody.

Just because he won the custody battle, does not necessarily mean she is fabricating.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If these allegations are true and have been going on for many years and if Nicola has been hospitalised then surely there's records of these events?? She has now gone very public and she needs to produce the evidence. I don't know if the rumours are true or false. If true then he should feel the full rigours of the law. Surely there's witnesses? Surely there's medical records, photographs and statements to back up the claims?

On another front if I noticed my daughter with the kind of injuries she claims to have had then as a father i'd be insisting on action and I'd probably have taken action myself. Has she no brothers, uncles etc who could have intervened ?

There were no charges filed in the Mason Greenwood case. Does this mean he is innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

His statement wisely stuck to the facts which should be let speak for themselves. If he had directly denied any of the allegations he would be putting himself in the impossible position of having to prove a negative.

but they do happen, and their frequency or lack of frequency has no bearing on an individual instance.

In the case of Syl Fox in Ireland and Mark Pearson in the UK cases which were clearly false were still prosecuted in court by the respective prosecution services on #ibelieveher type idealoical grounds.

Trial by social media is a very dangerous road to go down. Rory Gallagher is entitled to a presumption of innocence.

It's not a question of circling the wagons. Anyone or any organisation taking action against him on the basis of social media posts is more concerned with image than truth, justice or fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

"If he had directly denied any of the allegations he would be putting himself in the impossible position of having to prove a negative."

I really don't know where you're getting that idea from. He wouldn't have to prove anything, just clearly deny the accusations.

This isn't some gouger shouting "ye bates yer missus Rory" across the street at him. This is a detailed, written accusation of multiple extremely serious incidents over the course of years, by the wife herself, in a public forum.

It is inexplicable why any man would not simply, and clearly deny them. It would be easy - "at no time during our relationship or since, did I use violence against Nicola"

There, done and dusted.

No man I know would choose not to strenuously deny such an allegation if he was innocent of it.

• Advertisement

Hmm google is your friend here. McDermott was also accused of other things which weren't denied by him. Yet he denied having sexual relations with a minor? Why deny one allegation ? Why not deny everything? It's a rabbit hole to be honest I suppose but you're way off the mark when you assume these things are black and white.

Advertisement