Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Isn't that what you said about Gerry Hutch?

You'd think after how big a fool you made of yourself in that thread that you would think twice about commenting on such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The question isn't "when did you stop beating your wife", the question is "did you beat your wife?"

It's not a trick question. It shouldn't need a trick answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

What court dismissing the case are you referring to?

You've quoted the line about the files being passed to the DPP who decided there was insufficient evidence to proceed. This means that were was no court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'm sorry. I meant the office of the DPP.

But also

In a statement issued on his behalf by his solicitors, Logan and Corry Solicitors, the Derry manager said their marriage had broken down more than four years ago.

He continued: “Those closest to our family are well aware of the reasons for the breakdown of our marriage and the continued issues we have faced since that time. Following long running court proceedings in Family Courts in both jurisdictions, I was granted a full Residence Order in respect of our three young children on 17th February 2023. This outcome was recommended by social services.” 

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is a trick question. I know somebody who was falsely accused of domestic violence, if he had to actively deny every lie made about him he would have time for nothing else.

Your implication that because Gallagher didn't specifically address any of the accusations made means he is guilty, well that is an abhorrent attitude. He has no obligation to respond to or to play any of those games if he doesn't want to.

Again, I don't know what the real truth is, and I am certainly no pal of Rory Gallagher. I knew him many years ago and found him a tosser quite frankly. But it is really dangerous for internet warriors to start these witch hunts when the reality is that they don't have a **** clue what the real story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

because Gallagher didn't specifically address any of the accusations made means he is guilty

I'm not implying he's guilty at all, I have no clue.

However, if his statement today was supposed to placate public opinion, I can assure you it did the exact opposite. It was a bizarre tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Trial by social media is my second favorite type of justice after kangaroo courts.

The Irish Examiner reports:

Police in Northern Ireland investigated allegations of domestic abuse against Derry GAA manager Rory Gallagher last year.

A spokesperson for Northern Ireland's Public Prosecution Service (PPS) told the Irish Examiner it received two investigation files from the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) in January and June 2022.

“All the available evidence in these two files was considered in line with the PPS Code for Prosecutors.

"It was determined that there was insufficient evidence to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction for any offence in relation to any individual," the spokesperson said.

“Decisions not to prosecute any individual issued in January 2022 and September 2022.”

The spokesperson also said that decisions by the PPS are taken strictly in accordance with its two-stage Test for Prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Gusser09

So the wife is 100% lying. Ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

I live just a few miles from Fermanagh, and I meet & speak to people from the county regularly.

Let's just say that Rory Gallagher does not have a great reputation not only in his home county (especially among women), but also in south Co. Donegal as regards to elements of his non-GAA activities. Legally I couldn't tell any more than what's already been put in the media domain at present, other than to say that his sudden resignation from the Fermanagh senior football manager back in 2019 was itself very "unusual".

In a court of law, everyone is assumed innocent until presumed guilty - but the court of public opinion is different, like it or not. And for all the talk of his estranged wife's public comments being a "Facebook post", we are not dealing with some space cadet regurgitating conspiracy theory or "freeman" nonsense, this is straight from the mother of his children. The only thing "Facebook" about it is her choice of using it as a medium to get her message across. And they are quite serious allegations. Why Nicola Gallagher has gone down this route, I don't know but there's an awful lot of detail to what she claims.

Outside of the very personal situation between the two of them, it's clear that if Rory Gallagher appears in public in Clones on Sunday, then the Ulster SFC final is almost certainly going to be a sideshow even if Derry hammer Armagh - this is unlikely to blow over quickly especially if a lot of Irish women on social media & elsewhere get very vested in it. You only have to look at the former Ulster & Irish rugby player Paddy Jackson whom is essentially unemployable back in Belfast.

• Advertisement

But you're just an anonymous poster without a shred of evidence.

Can we stick to family court decisions and DPP decisions?

All you're doing is writing gossip you've claimed you've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Clearly some people do not understand what insufficient evidence means.

Ive heard the stories and whispers before. Harrowing stuff if true. Its telling that a lot of people in that part of the country dont doubt it. If it were me being accused and it wasnt true id be referring to each allegation and specifically denying each one.

Gallaghers ploy is to discredit her. He was well able to go onto detail about her drinking and him being given custody but not give any detail aroind the alleged beating in Enniskillen.

I'd imagine Derry GAA are having a late meeting tonight.

His non denial in his statement is certainly interesting.

We can stick to the statement on social media platforms published in to the public domain too thank you very much.

Failure to be prosecuted due to insufficent evidence doesnt mean he should retain his high profile high paying position.

Allegations have been made which people in the border areas will tell you arent a surprise. He 100 percent has to address them properly before continuing as a public figure and role model in our great games.

Im sorry but a wishy washy statement doesnt give him a free pass. Either he did or didnt beat the woman. It really is that simple. He didnt deny it.

110%. The first thing i would do is deny the specific allegations of violence. Its a bit like the former radio dj / tv presenter who really didnt deny anything with wishy washy statements. How hard can it be to totally refute and deny false allegations if they are that.

The Irish Examiner reports:

Police in Northern Ireland investigated allegations of domestic abuse against Derry GAA manager Rory Gallagher last year.

A spokesperson for Northern Ireland's Public Prosecution Service (PPS) told the Irish Examiner it received two investigation files from the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) in January and June 2022.

“All the available evidence in these two files was considered in line with the PPS Code for Prosecutors.

"It was determined that there was insufficient evidence to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction for any offence in relation to any individual," the spokesperson said.

“Decisions not to prosecute any individual issued in January 2022 and September 2022.”

The spokesperson also said that decisions by the PPS are taken strictly in accordance with its two-stage Test for Prosecution.

Insufficient evidence. I wonder what evidence they had. The bar for prosecution is very high and rightly so. Thankfully we as people and human beings decide a person like that shouldnt be in a position like he is. He hasnt denied any allegation. Nothing. Make up your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Mrs Gallagher said she was an 18-year-old schoolgirl when she was beaten after being "dragged into a carpark in Clones" by "a person I trusted and thought was my best friend".

She added: "I forgave that man and I married him."

That was clever. 🙄 no one to blame but herself so in fairness.

• Advertisement

The police sent TWO files to the prosecution service. The fact that they decided there was insufficient evidence is very different to no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TBH his statement says nothing to counter her allegations and this leaves him completely wide open to suspicion. It would have been very easy for him to have just said that the allegations were untrue. For this reason, I'd be inclined to believe what she posted on facebook and I think his position in GAA circles is now untenable.

Personally, I was unaware of any allegations against him before I read about it today. However, according to some, his behaviour has been known about for years.

If that is true, Derry GAA need to disclose if they were aware of allegations against him when they hired him.

Bill Clinton - I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

Oh, okay, Bill. That's me sorted now. On ye go, wee pet.

That's all Gallagher needs to do is it? Come on.

Who are these some of whom you speak? You have witness evidence that police and the DPP failed to produce? This should be good.

Why would Rory not deny pulling her down a lane in Clones and beating her puttimg her in hospital? Why not address that and clear it up.

I think we all know why.

Probably because he was advised by solicitors. If you think he wrote that statement you'd be mistaken. He'd be told to keep it watertight and highlight the previous court judgements.

Advised by solicitors. Exaclty. For a very specific reason. Its a pr thing. Release a long winded statement addressing nothing.

I can tell you now. If the allegations were entirely false and fabricated they would be saying exactly that. Why would they not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are going to release a statement in response to claims yet not state that those claims are entirely without foundation, why would anyone believe them to be untrue?

As for the DPP, they merely hadn't enough for a conviction. Not really surprising given how difficult it is for a victim to prove the assault, especially after the passage of time. The DPP did not say that there was no evidence of assault though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

I simply have my ear on the ground surrounding such local matters as anyone else can have to their own lives & localities, and what I do know is that cases of domestic & sexual abuses of & from both sexes is very difficult to get successfully prosecuted (as another poster says, rightly so as such accusations can be very detrimental to someone falsely accused) because of usually either insufficient or unreliable evidence, or a lack of willingness of the accused in wanting to take any case further at the time. As it is, I never said that I had "evidence" but those that have told me about him include former football team mates of his as well as those from Belleek (where he's originally from). I've heard too many stories over the years from otherwise whom I'd consider trustworthy people that are not used to telling little tales to dismiss it all.

As the matter involved is in the public domain now with both parties making public statements, then unless there is a legal development on it, discussing it here (or anywhere else) within the boards.ie rules or mod decisions, or laws of respective juristiction is fine and will happen wherever you or I like it or not. WRT the case involving child custody rights, these matters are almost always held in camera and so unless you were there, you (or I or anyone else not present) have no idea as to how the decision was reached, along with supporting evidence from both sides etc.

Indeed, as a supposedly anonymous poster, you appear to have a vested interest in applying a chilling effect on this discussion. Care to explain?

Advertisement