Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options
  • 11-05-2023 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

Insufficient evidence to prosecute and he was awarded custody of the children were the result of court proceedings in two jurisdictions.

As reported in The Belfast Telegraph:

Police investigated allegations of domestic abuse against Derry GAA manager Rory Gallagher. Two files were passed to the Public Prosecution Service last year, but it was deemed there was insufficient evidence to proceed.

On Thursday Gallagher issued a statement in response to what he described as "very serious" allegations made by his estranged wife.

He is due to take charge of Derry in Sunday's Ulster Final against Armagh.

In a message on social media earlier this week, Nicola Gallagher detailed a number of alleged incidents of domestic violence.

She claimed she has spent years staying silent about her difficult relationship with her husband. She said she had tried to block it out and turned to alcohol as a result.

The couple, who have three children, are separated.

In a statement issued through a solicitor, Mr Gallagher acknowledged his estranged wife’s social media posts and the fact it made “very serious allegations against me”.

He said: “Our marriage broke down over four years ago. Those closest to our family are well aware of the reasons for the breakdown of our marriage and the continued issues we have faced since that time.”

Mr Gallagher insisted the allegations “have been investigated and dealt with by the relevant authorities”.

“My focus over the past four years has been to protect our children from the ongoing turmoil in our family.

“I have left this matter in the hands of my legal team and ask that the privacy of our family is respected at this time. I will not be making any further public comment on this matter.”

A spokesperson for the PSNI said: “Police have investigated a number of reported incidents and files have been submitted to the Public Prosecution Service.”

It is understood the PPS received two investigation files from the PSNI in January 2022 and June 2022.

After all the available evidence in these files was considered in line with the PPS Code for Prosecutors, it was determined there was insufficient evidence to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction for any offence in relation to any individual.

Decisions not to prosecute any individual were issued in January 2022 and September 2022.

On Thursday afternoon the Ulster GAA council responded to the allegations.

Provincial secretary and chief executive Brian McAvoy said: “While we cannot comment or make judgment on any specific allegation or allegations, Ulster GAA does not condone any form of domestic violence.

"We are proud to have joined with White Ribbon NI in pledging to never commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women. We encourage and support anyone who has been a victim of such abuse not to suffer in silence but to avail of the statutory and voluntary support services that are available in the community.”

Sunday's final, the first between Derry and Armagh since 2000, is on course to be a 28,720 sell-out in Clones with no tickets going on general sale.

Gallagher is one of the most recognisable names in Ulster GAA. He was part of the management team that led Donegal to All-Ireland in 2012.

During his playing career he wore the jerseys of both Fermanagh and Cavan.

Derry is the third team he has helped to an Ulster final, having previously worked with Donegal and Fermanagh.

Under his stewardship, Derry won the Ulster championship final last year and progressed to the All-Ireland semi-finals, where they lost to Galway.

Mod Note

Terms like Scumbag etc are classified as Abuse in the GAA Forum.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Surprising how many people in GAA circles think this is new information. I think it was even brought up in the interview process for the Fermanagh job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not sure it would be reasonable to expect the average person in GAA circles to know what was discussed during the process of appointing the Fermanagh manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I think the PSNI need to open up the case again and perhaps those who could corroborate Nicola’s allegations should now come forward. I spoke to a few people about this today who have said that they heard about this over 10 years ago.

She acknowledges she has a drink problem and I’d be inclined to believe the drink was due to the violence rather than the violence due to the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

The fact as stated that Rory has custody of the children should tell us everything we need to know about this case.

Child services in NI don't mess about and the PSNI would show no sympathy to a gaa player.

Sorry. That was complicated for you. This is in the public domain quite a while.

• Advertisement

To clarify my above comment.

I got the impression from Rory’s statement that he is saying his wife has issues. I don’t think she would have those issues if she had been in a better relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

Actually you're making things complicated for yourself. The process for appointing the manager of Fermanagh is not the "public domain". That reference was irrelevant (other than letting us see how 'in the know' you are).

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I am hoping John from the Jmac podcast comments about it so I can call him out on his hypocrisy by always having Kevin McGourty on his podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭cms88

While there may be more to this and it might come out we'll have to wait and see. However it's interesting how many people,mostly female, were very fact to just and take a single social media as fact. If it turns out said post isn't true will they be as quick to comment....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hard to know what to make of it. I searched for and read the social media post and if it is true then he is a scumbag. But I also have first hand experience of a woman who was a nasty piece of work and who would have written a post exactly like it, none of which would have been true at all.

Like others I would consider it very strange that he has custody of the children, that is not a small thing.

Investigated twice and dismissed twice, was she making allegations that were simply unfounded? Again, I experienced that within my own family, it happens.

I know the majority will just believe the accuser because that is society today, but I am uneasy if this is used as the basis of a witchhunt against Gallagher.

Now if he gets cancelled because of constantly spitting on his hands that would be perfectly understandable, the man has **** problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

the PSNI would show no sympathy to a gaa player.

The PSNI felt the need to pass two files to the DPP. Hardly a ringing endorsement of his conduct

There's nothing in that article about his children.

I mean, Gallagher himself hasn't denied a word of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

He was granted full custody in January this year. It's in his full statement which as it goes against the narrative is conveniently left out of most reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

from the post there would be doctors reports etc for the PSNI/DPP to go off

so where are they?

you have to be in a bad way for the kids to be taken off you, like epically bad

I know the post has over a thousand comments now but there was one that I remember said that they were there when the alleged assault in Clones happened all those years ago. If true, they should be giving a statement to the police regardless of how long ago it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭cms88

Had she been given full custody you can be sure it would be highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The fact a file was sent to the DPP is telling. The threshold for prosecution is extremely high and rightly so. But I'd imagine the Police thought they had sufficient evidence to charge.

Jaysus. I'm more shocked the guy is only 35 there. Looks at 60.

In a lengthy post on social media earlier this week, Mrs Gallagher also referred to a number of locations including Clones in County Monaghan and Enniscrone in County Sligo.

Mrs Gallagher said she was an 18-year-old schoolgirl when she was beaten after being "dragged into a carpark in Clones" by "a person I trusted and thought was my best friend".

She added: "I forgave that man and I married him."

She also claimed the alleged beatings continued through their marriage and that "my pregnancies never changed the violence".

Mrs Gallagher went on to describe how she "developed a problem with alcohol because, at the time, I didn't know how else to cope".

Towards the end of her post, Nicola Gallagher said: "Blocking it out was easier than admitting what was happening."

She concluded her social media post by saying: "Silence nearly killed me".

He really needs to deny that allegation of assault in Clones. Whether he likes it or not he has too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-65557406

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The case is from last year. Are you suggesting that the case her legal team brought wouldn't have brought everything up to date? I'd find that hard to believe.

• Advertisement

It's been to court? You think him going to court is him not denying it?

Look all I'll say is jump across to Reddit and have a look. It seems to have been common knowledge in the border regions. Anyway who knows. But I do think his positions is untenable at the moment. Yes I think he specifically needs to address the detailed allegations and deny them for the court of public opinion. As you know in his position that is extremely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've read the entire thing and i'm waiting on the man from Cork who intervened in a restaurant in Turkey when Rory was allegedly abusing Nicola, He's supposed to have threatened violence on Rory if he didn't stop abusing her. He could throw a lot of light on the entire thing.

I'm going to overlook a judge's decision to give a man custody of his kids and take reddit comments as the truth/evidence?

Going to court is already a public and detailed denial of allegations, no? You plead guilty or not guilty?

Mr Gallagher insisted the allegations “have been investigated and dealt with by the relevant authorities”. Is that not addressing your concern of a denial?

The court case was a custody case that concluded this year. There’s no mention of violence against the children. She’s been drinking heavily which she has admitted and I’d say a judge ruled that at this time she isn’t in a fit state to look after them. I understand that reasoning. Totally guessing here his statement says the DV allegations were investigated. If this only came out since they’ve been estranged and she’s been at her lowest due to alcohol, they may not have taken her word as seriously.

Witnesses should give statements to the psni now and have it investigated fully. Her post was a tough read.

I'm sorry but isn't this too serious for "totally guessing"?

Do you think he could get away with saying all allegations were investigated if they weren't? Sure, there's so many people involved he'd be immediately found out. It would be the first thing brought up in a new case if it weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

do you think domestic abuse wouldn't factor into the custody case

the wintenesses appear to be relatives and friends, so why wouldn't they have been questioned in the first place by the psni

doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It didn't go to court though. He never pleaded to anything.

The way I look at it, if someone accused me of savagely beating my wife over many years, the absolute first thing I would say is "I have never beaten my wife", because, well I have never beaten my wife.

Rory Gallagher, on the other hand, declined to deny anything, he just decided to say that "the issue has been dealt with". That is absolutely not a denial.

Whatever he did or didn't do, the statement absolutely did nothing to dispell any of the accusations. The exact opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You can't be serious?

One of the most famous loaded questions in history is "When did you stop beating your wife", notorious because there is no good answer to the question.

It just goes to show how useless internet justice is when people judge the accused on stupid things like this.

• Advertisement

The first line of The Belfast Telegraph:

Police investigated allegations of domestic abuse against Derry GAA manager Rory Gallagher. Two files were passed to the Public Prosecution Service last year, but it was deemed there was insufficient evidence to proceed.

Later:

In a statement issued through a solicitor, Mr Gallagher acknowledged his estranged wife’s social media posts and the fact it made “very serious allegations against me”.

He said: “Our marriage broke down over four years ago. Those closest to our family are well aware of the reasons for the breakdown of our marriage and the continued issues we have faced since that time.”

Mr Gallagher insisted the allegations “have been investigated and dealt with by the relevant authorities”.

But your interpretation of his statement means something else? He didn't deny it? So the ACCUSATIONS... still hold sway? But there's not enough evidence to go to court but you...ha?

Being able to state that a court dismissed a case is surely stronger than offering a subjective denial of accusations?

Advertisement