Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCEP Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

Yeh I've 2 coming up as still in lab.not leaving much time to replace if I'm short of stars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mine all says still in lab. Though weren't sent till mid August coz of slow mulinahone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Sami23

Where can you check the status of samples you sent in that you can see 'still in lab'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

ICBF.com, services, SCEP, view genotype details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Sami23

So the status for the ones I submitted this year is 'Sire & Dam Verified' so looks like the testing is complete on them.

But where can I see what starts they have now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Sami23 if you click on the "SCEP Eligibility Profile" on the home page when you login to ICBF, (it takes a few minute's to load) this gives you a green tick if you are compliant. In the female tap to the top right it will list all the females in your herd. Any that a "green" all across are eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

Funny thing is when I checked half my cows are eligible in my herd but not in anyone's herd if I wax to sell them. Also have heifer weanlings genotype 4 and 5 star which makes them eligible for me till I sell them but if they drop in next evaluation then they not eligible in another herd but still eligible in my herd .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Department have extended the requirement to have 50% genotyped until Friday the 24th of November.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/scep-extension-granted-on-genotyped-requirement-deadline-788362

For animals born in your herd it’s the stars they have on their first genomic evaluation that decides if they’re eligible in your herd. For farmers buying in replacements it’s the genotyped stars they have on the day they’re purchased that matters. If a farmer buys a heifer off you and she’s genotyped 4/5 star on the day he buys her then she will always be eligible in his herd even if she drops to a one star animal later afaik. They have to be at least 16 months old of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

I know. Some of these were bought as 5 stars 5 years ago and so we're eligible for bdgp and only for they were bought this way I would not have a hope of getting scep. Makes a joke of scheme to improve suckled cow.would have made more since to start from scratch with scep. Ps these are good cows not keeping them for scheme if had th choose between scheme and cows . Cows would win

True, the whole thing is a joke but there’s good money to be got out of it for the next five years, i don’t see much sense in having sucklers and not being in the SCEP scheme, who knows what will happen after that.

Presume that's the deadline for everyone now? Some, like myself, would have been glad if it stayed October 31st as we could have sold these on November 1st to lower numbers for the winter. Have to keep them another 3 weeks so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sent back samples in July, the last of them has results added now. To me the main issue was how long it took to get the tags to the farmer

They should be in better time next year I'd imagine.

No, you have the choice of Oct 31 or Nov 24. If a farmer is relying on his own stock to be genotyped in time for Nov 24 then enough genomic samples have to be in the lab by Oct 31. Also an animal can’t be used to qualify in two different herds, it has to be a surplus animal if buying in. How would someone buying an animal in a mart know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

I have a cow with twins born 4th July.She has no milk and never went back in calf.I want to sell her.Is there a minimum age the calves have to be before weaning them in this scheme?Calves have been on creep feed 6 weeks.Thanks.

At least 50 days old is the minimum age for weighing them, they can be weaned after that afaik, only 80% of the calf/cow pairs have to be weighed this year. Calves have to be 5 months old for recording the data on them. You might not get a penalty if you sell her. You could ring ICBF and ask them, they’re pretty helpful over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Scanned cows recently and have more empties than I like. If my reference number is 15 which meant this year I needed 50% calved (7) so if I drop below my reference for next year by 1 (14) that it doesn't matter as I'm still calving 50% (7) for 2024?

I only want to buy a couple to fill the gap & breed my own in to get back up numbers for 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Got letter today from icbf. Stating a cow I bought in as a weanling has wrong sire and dam saved on system. Sent an ER94(b) form to be filled up and returned to department with new info supplied by icbf to change parentage on the system.

It says on the form " all documents for which replacements are sought should be submitted". I'm assuming this is the cows passport only as they have the rest on there own system through the scep scheme??? Or do I need to send the 2 pieces of paper with the wrong and right sire and dam as well???

Or do I not bother at all and leave well enough alone

Edit to say

I just glanced through the main instruction page there and it actually says on it

"only the keeper of the herd of origin(birth herd) can amend the registration details............

So I can't do anything either way by the looks of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Did they reveal the correct DAM and SIRE for the cow.

Yes to both.

I just glanced through the main instructions page there and it actually says on it

"only the keeper of the herd of origin(birth herd) can amend the registration details............

So I can't do anything about it either way by the looks of it

As long as you calve at least seven and have ten for genotyping you’re ok i think.

I had same issue earlier this year. I still had to send in the form to get card corrected. The card comes out with original owner greyed out. Just include all the info on that you purchased it, where & when etc that what I did. The department vet rang me then for an explanation too.

Nothing too major as not your issue as you bought in good faith

Did you send back her original blue card or just the info and the form?? Thanks for the fast reply I'll get my one sent off so if that's the case and rectify it

Sent whole lot back with a copy of the letter from ICBF too.

This is why I like the idea of genotyping, catches out lads that couldn't have being arsed doing it right, Sire maybe but the dam wrong is just laziness. When I spoke with the Department Vet he wasnt impressed at all (mine was a Pedigree) but its more on the breeder than me which he understood

Ye I bought 2 BWH heifer calves last year in the mart. They are from a very good local dairy farmer who is reputed to run a top class dairy herd. In fairness they are a nice pair of heifers. So I have kept them as replacements. After they were DNA tested they have both come back "Sire not identified..." & they have gone from potential 5 star to1 star... but sure what can be done as there is a Zag straw in each of them and sure they might come up in stars yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ladeeen

Same thing happened me a few years ago with the same type of cattle, didn’t seem to matter after:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

1400 to be removed from scep for failure to register with Bord Bia

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/over-1400-suckler-farmers-set-to-be-removed-from-scep/

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

@Ladeeen, yes it happened me before too. She ended up a 5 star and any of her daughters I have kept have all been 5 stars too. I think people get to caught up in an animal stars and forget to concentrate on the actual quality of the animal.

Advertisement