Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCEP Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

I don’t think so, calves have to be a minimum of 50 days old for weighing. I don’t see it saying calves have to be kept for five months in the terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Skerries Steve

Just wondering is there any Beep scheme for 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

No. Just Scep which has componant of old beep and from the genomics scheme.

Rumour of another scheme but not open or details released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Lads how do you define "Cow Mothering Ability"? I'm filling in the records online at the moment and this is one of the information fields required. 3 choices - Good, Average and Poor.

How do you define a cow with Poor Mothering Ability, away all night partying with the bulls at the other end of the field? I'm feeling a bit judgemental on this one.😎

Also, should we have got a Notebook by now?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I have only every seen a cow to completely reject a twin. One last year her first calves were twins, one born normally and put aside while the other was assisted birth. She rejected the first calf. Twins again this year unassisted, one was cold the following morning and put under a lamp. She rejected him on his return. Luckily both rejected calves took full advantage of other quiet cows in the herd. Has she good mothering abilities? We've had cows with good milk take up to a month to accept their calves, they took less time over the following years. I put that down to, maybe, large tender udders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I reckon it’s your opinion of the cow. Is she a good one or a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

SCEP Notebooks - I sent a quick e-mail to ICBF today and the Notebooks are being printed now. They will be sent out in the next few weeks.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Anyone have the Bord bia inspection yet? I got the pack the other day, hd a quick look through it and know that I have not got half of what they are looking for.

I presume compliance only begins on the date you are admitted, so you can't be asked for stuff from the past?

Do you have to give them access to your agfood account, I have reservations about giving them access

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mf 265

I had it in may, our advisor told us to fill out some dosing from January 23 on, and also fill out nuts from same. What ever u put in have receipts to back it up. Put up medicine box and put up signs on farm entrance. Also fill out a farm safety book.

I'll do the farm safety book, but can't see how they can ask for compliance for dates before you even are in the Scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Generally it's 6 months of records. Get your merchant and vet to email on usage from January. This will help. This is data you have to provide in the event of a cross compliance inspection for the Dept

Going forward you will be having an audit every 18 months and records to back it up.

Is Bord Bia and the Dept of Agriculture the same?

No they're not, but passing BB has you set up for passing a cross compliance.

It's a matter of playing by the rules and having your paperwork in order. Have been in Qa for a long time due to finishing all stock, it's often the kick up the backside to tidy up the loose ends on paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mf 265

Also they will log in to your agfood account and check your cattle cards

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Alibaba

Keep a close eye on the terms and conditions lads.

Action 4 - Weighing and submission of weights to ICBF

(B)

Furthermore, in order to ensure the validity of all of the data recorded, ALL calves born in the herd must be maintained on the holding for AT LEAST 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

Did anyone use this for renting out a weighing scales or are you as well off to purchase your own?

https://www.icbf.com/the-weighing-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I use the rental few times a year, even collecting one in the morning for 2nd weighing before I start creep feeding. Great idea & handy for only 50e.

Plan on buying one myself end of this year or next.

That works out perfectly well or you can ring the Co op stores that rent them out and book direct. I think you can book up to three weeks in advance, most demand for Saturdays naturally especially coming near the deadline.

If you’re only using the scales once a year i don’t see much point in buying them but they’re handy to have I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

Thanks lads one last one:

if you are in the existing bord Bia scheme already is that the requirement or is it a new bord Bia scheme you need to sign up for for this SCEP 🤔

• Advertisement

If youre in at and have done the inspection over the past 18-24 months you are met the requirement but remember you have to have full QA status for the duration of SCEP. You can check your audit status with this link by popping in the herd number

https://qas.bordbia.ie/Beef/Verify/

I hadn't had a full on farm QA audit for nearly 3 1/2 years due to COVID, I did the remote one instead

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

How many years of records are needed for the bord bia inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

6months if it your first audit

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I suppose a lad could have no record sheets if no dosing done in the last 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Anyone know if you allowed to meal from a Northern Ireland manufacturer, which would be purchased in a Co op in Northern Ireland and fed to ROI livestock, with the bord Bia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

I dont see why not as long as you have the meal dockets and batch information to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Can the batch information be the back of the bags ingredients or do you need a proper paper cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭hopeso

The batch number will be stamped on the bag...That's what goes into the book. They might ask to see the ingredients on the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Jack C

Anyone get results from genotyping yet. I sent in samples first week of july. Should results not be up on icbf by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

ICBF says next evaluation is September 26th. They should show up then.

Advertisement