Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCEP Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well, I weighed all my cattle today as part of SCEP. Tough going to be honest. Not easy lugging a scales platform around on your own. Anyway, one more item ticked off the list.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Did you get the inspection out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bord Bia ? No, not yet. Crazy amount of schemes and box ticking this year.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Silverdream

That's a lot of lads out of pocket. In fairness the few quid you get from the scheme is what justifies keeping cows. Will probably see a lot of them folks exiting Sucklers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

If I buy some 4star ladies, the week before deadline, when can I sell them? Am i right in saying that won't have to tb test if less that 36 months ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Sami23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

From DAFM -

"The Bovine TB Stakeholders Forum has agreed to introduce these requirements on a

phased basis.

Initially, the requirements are that:

Cows of all ages, and males over the age of 36 months that are moving farm to

farm or through a mart must be TB tested in the last six months and

They must also be moving from a herd that has been tested in the last six months.

If they do not fulfil both these requirements, they must then be tested, either

within the 30 days prior to movement or within 30 days after movement into the

new herd.

Animals that require a test in the 30 days after movement will be restricted

immediately to the herd into which they have moved. This herd has 30 days to carry

out a test on these animals.

If after 30 days, the animals have not been tested, the herd that received them will

be restricted. Sale of calves under six weeks of age and the purchase in of animals

will be permitted.

If after another 60 days, the animals have still not been tested, the whole herd will

be scheduled for a TB test.

If the moved in animal at any point is slaughtered, the restriction will be lifted,

except where the herd has been listed for a full test.

This allows the opportunity for cull cows to be purchased, fed and slaughtered

without incurring the cost of testing."

file:///C:/Users/Win_User/Downloads/240109_9a59a3c9-7916-46fb-aa6c-b6a6e14722f3-2.pdf

So my test was in Aug, so if they have a tb I'm the past 6 months then I could sell them off again with out a test.

Interesting 30% of payment for bit if effort and risk of price drop

If they and the the herd that they originate from have been TB tested in the last 6 months then you don't have to retest them when you buy in.

Regarding the SCEP scheme - I haven't a clue as I'm not in the scheme. From reading this thread @tanko is well informed and will probably advise.

It seems to on just on a date, as long as that date doesn't change or get extended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,114 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's possible you mixed up the samples/tag when taking them

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

See ICBF going changing the calculation for replacement & terminal now (on FJ, haven't read it yet) more focus to a carbon efficient animal with short gestation and downgrading carcase weight factor. Ridiculous I think.

Bit cheeky changing it now too when loads joined the SCEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

No as the cow in question is a pbnr SIM the only one I have at the min. And the new dam and sire are 100% SIM as were the original dam and sire on the system, so it has to be right. Plus I'd have 2 mixed up in the case your saying so I'd have 2 to change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Changing the cow type thing more traditional breeds, will this for finish the u16 month bull beef trade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Lads would want to be very careful here. Look at the mess they made of the dairy cow. We don't want the same happening to Suckler cows.

It's all about figures with ICBF. No more looking at the cow and using ones stockmanship to choose a bull that will compliment the cows strong points and hopefully improve where she needs improving.

The AI companies are buying some Bulls that would only be classed as half decent stock bulls in years gone by. The standard of bull that they are offering should be much much higher and introduce new blood regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 V6400

This should cause a bigger uproar than the change to derogation, delayed payments or any of the other messes they’ve caused. Changing the goalposts of a scheme after it launched and they cant even blame Europe for this one. Seeing the results from some of the heifers genotyped this year compared to the calculated figures they knew they were making this change but said nothing until everyone was invested in the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

And this is only year one......God knows what they'll change or introduce before the end of the contract.....

Where they going to show the carbon footprint 👣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Green label on the Pack of mince supermarket shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I don't know if they will show it anywhere but I bet they will have a use for it.

It's a joke, it won't impact us too much because we have aa and shorthorns mostly but I feel sorry for lads that have brilliant continental herds.

I would sooner loose the money from the scheme rather that change nice breeding and good finishing cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Got the bill for the annual TB test, €70 x 2 for the two visits plus €4 per animal tested.

€55 for taking the 20 blood samples for IBR testing, this would be €130 if being done as a stand alone call.

Don’t know how much the lab will charge for testing, there’s a six week backlog apparently.

Do they do any spot-checks on the weights? Surely you are going to have lads borrowing their neighbours serial number and "eyeballing" the weights? They must have some process for checking?

We bought a scales here for the dairy-beef scheme anyway, but not all lads would have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

I know a few at that. You can rent a scales for 50 quid. Gives some good info really.

Really had opened my eyes to “live weight” vs “”mart weight”.

That's the Beef Welfare Scheme for IBR. You don't need that under SCEP. Some might be in both alright.

We got one under AWNSS. It will have paid for itself already this year. Handy to use and useful information as you say.

What is the story with the tissue samples? I think the deadline for getting the numbers with stars was extended. But what about the regular samples?

We have enough to meet the stars requirement but some of the other samples which were sent aren't showing as received yet. The last two stragglers were sent off about 2 weeks ago. One was a hair sample and the other a tag.

One is showing as having been received a few days ago and the other is down as "awaiting return of sample".........both were posted off the same day (in separate envelopes because even though I think the PO Box is the same, they go to different labs)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Deadline for regular samples is November 30th. You should ring ICBF about the samples , they’re very helpful over the phone i find.

• Advertisement

ICBF looks likes its website is having some capacity problems!

I think we have everything needed in though.

Advertisement