Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a new Rural Political Party

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rural pubs are closed or closing because a government removed from the people it purports to represent decided to make it an offence to drive after drinking a few pints . Something that had been done for decades without issue .

Your recollection of events differs to mine (and I say that as someone who stupidly took part in the culture)!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The food that is being produced by Irish farmers - what is happening to it ? I don’t think Kerry or ABP dump too much much of it .

The reality is that countries like Ireland with a temperate climate on the edge of Europe needs to at least double production to feed the worlds growing population. A billion extra mouths in twelve years need feeding . The greenies seem to have overlooked that.

Surely the off-licence was the final nail for rural pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I meant that they were entitled to do it,not that it was an entitlement.Slight but important distinction.

Planning guidelines seem to be at the mercy of the individual planner.Get someone who is not in favour of what you are looking to build and its hard to overcome their personal dislike of it.Had it here years ago when building my own house.In the end just agreed with him and went ahead and built what I had intended in the first case.Little pissy stuff like telling us that we couldn't use red brick on the front despite the closest house to us having built with this about 2 years beforehand.

What has CPO to do with it ?If you want a site then buy one if someone is willing to sell.If you have a sibling/parent etc willing to give you one then all the better.

Building a house and selling it on is not illegal.Perhaps they are in the business of making a few quid or trying to.Personally wouldn't sell a site here at home for any money.

Enough of Greenie stuff is other threads so to answer the question from the OP I have no idea if I would vote for a new Rural Party.Depends on the candidates and the policy platform they run on.

Hard enough to break the mould as people usually fall back on the familiar,in this case FF or FG normally.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be an issue for me to be honest.Most rural pubs are dying out because people under 30 seem to have no interest in them.

The drink driving thing is a bit of a pain but for example went over for a couple last night.In at 11 out by 12:30 and 3 pints.There were 8 of us there and of those ,6 were driving home,the other 2 live within a couple of hundred yards of the pub.Probably 3 to 5 pints on average consumed by those driving home.

No Guard will be arsed with a checkpoint unless its the Traffic Corp and haven't seen one around here in my lifetime.

Pubs are just not the thing for 20/30 year olds anymore in the main I think.Rare to see anyone under 30 in the local here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,869 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

See this is why a rural party is pointless. Totally stuck in the past. My daddy and my daddy's daddy stuff as I said earlier.

Pubs are going because people won't sit in them 7 days a week spending all their wages in there. It's not sustainable to have little villages full of pubs.

Food waste is a shame and every effort should be made to reduce or eliminate it . It is however beyond the farm gate or even perhaps beyond the industry gate .

Producing food to feed a world population that is growing at the rate at which it is cannot be regarded as overproduction. Meat and dairy production in temperate climates has to increase . There is no other way to cheaply feed the masses unless the greens have some other answer . Would it better if it was produced in feedlots in the desert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Unbelievable! As someone living very rural I can tell you the local pubs aren't failing for any reason other than the young people would rather go to the pubs and nightclubs in the nearest town. And, their loss isn't anything like a major issue for rural people. Indeed, for many the existence or not of a local pub is of little consequence. You seem to be stuck in a decades old view of rural life. As for drink driving, it's incredulous that anybody anywhere still condones it.

Not every pub goer or now former pub goer is of a demographic to want to go to the pubs or clubs in the nearest town . Pubs were centres where rural people gathered , most of them farming or working locally . Most would be past the nightclub phase . Do they not matter ?

The existence of the rural pub may have little consequence to you but to me it’s demise is indicative of a greater issue that being people making decisions that suit themselves and to hell with those affected.

• Advertisement

Well if getting to the pub is the big problem then thank God for the Green party who have been pushing an unprecedented rural bus scheme including front door pick up and drop off where possible.

And are also pushing the rural hackney scheme. There has probably never been a party has done as much for rural transport as the Greens.

Also nobody thinks a village having no pub is ok. A village trying to sustain a whole bunch of them with a 1k population is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The intensive agri lobby would want to get their tune straight on this cos the likes of Copa Cogeaca are now whinging about Ukrainian Grain undermining commodity prices across the EU after spending last year saying that measures to improve the sustainability of farming like pesticide reduction would lead to some sort of mass famine - they also support the biofuel scam that has diverted vast amounts of some of the best farmland in the EU away from food production. Same in the US which now diverts nearly 40% of its corn crop to biofuel. Also food waste in the EU last year hit 180 million tonnes, clearly the system it broken...

PS: It should also be pointed out that most of the food inflation worldwide recently was down to logistic costs, not lack of production eg. the cost of shipping agri products is now multiple of what it was pre- Covid with an industry wide shortage of shipping containers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭alps

Front door pick up is a concept from someone with absoluty no understanding rural logistics.

It sounds like something that'd come out of a lad pissed drunk, smoking weed and trying to sound coherently intellegent during a late night "think in"..

The wans where we fix the world at 3am..

An alternative to the pub in the evening both rural and urban would be good.

Well it works.

Do you have a better idea for rural transport ?

Well as someone who works with the elderly I can definitely say that's not an option for everyone.

Are you against rural transport ?

What exactly do you see as wrong with Local Link ?

The local link goes once a week from our nearest village (4 miles away) to our nearest town (12 miles away) and returns 3 hours later.

How in the ###k is that a solution to anything?

And some places still have none at all. But other places have quite a good service.

Same as every bus service since the dawn of time some places have better frequency and routes than others.

But I suppose just because it doesn't suit you personally or far more likely because I mentioned the Green party you are bitter about it.

If you had to pass the door of every house in this parish, I reckon 7 hours wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement

It takes 2 post office vans to do it. How long a day do they put in?

It doesn't say it will stop everywhere for everyone. It's says where possible it will deviate and it's something you work out with the local operator because another good thing about Local Link is it is operated by local companies. It is already up and running and I have seen it in operation.

But work away and set up your Farmers party that will bring back the drink driving, the 7 pubs in a tiny village and give every farmer their own unicorn.

Green is another word for inexperienced or naive.

Green party gotta get this rural public transport out of their head. It can get you to school or college. If you work 9 to 5 in the city centre and can match with school times, there's some hope.

But we're staying with cars, like it or not.

What powers them is the question..

So you won’t be voting for the new rural party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's only over production if everyone is adequately fed otherwise unequal distribution is part of the problem. Just because some people dump food doesn't mean there's too much food in the country/ world.

Note we export food in the same way as other products like pharmaceuticals for example, we don't say the pharmaceutical companies are over producing even though they produce more than we need here.

How much is too much depends on many things. Do we ban imports and exports?

What do you mean what should we do with our emission targets.

Presumably aim to meet them, fail miserably and set even more ambitious targets we're less likely to meet.

Politics used to attract the best calibre of person. Nowadays it seems to attract people that want a profile but don’t have the intellectual horsepower or willingness to achieve it in the real world.

It has become a calculated game at sharing out the goodies in the good times or hardship in the bad times for the purpose of being re-elected.

Farmers have signed up to reduce emissions.

Id say we will have to go nuclear to have any chance.

Not so sure how practical electric tractors or even cars are. Might have to use hydrogen there.

Industry uses an awful lot of power as well. No way can that reliably come from wind which will further suggest nuclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think Ryan and his fellow travellers could be best described as "Blueshirts on Bikes"😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I didn't say that, first thing I said we should aim to meet targets, and i didn't specify agriculture.

I outlined official policy that if targets are not met even bigger targets will apply to the next budget.

This applies to all sectors.

Do you every sector (except agriculture if you like) will meet all targets? By the way farmers are also impacted same as you by all targets outside agriculture.

Targets for all sectors were set on the basis of a number decided upon a number that sounded good to politicians, even at the COP that's what happened. It was only after setting targets that they started to look at how to achieve it. When there was negotiations then it was based on the opening position set by the government and looking to get something less.

It was like me deciding a household budget and deciding I needed to cut 20% on the food budget, 15% on electricity and 30% on luxuries. These may or may not be realistic. I might be able to achieve them easily, they may be a little challenging or they may be virtually impossible to achieve.

What I should do is look at where I'm spending and see what might be possible as a starting point. If I was still short I might have to look at if I could tighten things a bit more but at least I'd have it based in some kind of reality.

Setting an unrealistic budget and missing it is not going to make me work harder to meet a tighter budget next year. It will more likely demoralise me.

Advertisement