Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a new Rural Political Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fully agree. The rural party will be a pure and utter failure if it is nothing more than “IFA” under a different banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

The government had to hand out bailouts to the public cause of the so called cost of living crisis.and for the first time in about 40 odd yrs the price of food in the shops started to be a it’s true cost to the consumers.the more food costs the ordinary Joe Public the more they might appreciate it and not filling their green bins with food not eaten

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

But it is still not the true cost production. Food rose as farming input, the three F’s, fuel, feed (grain) and fertiliser went through the roof (fertiliser more than doubled as an example). Processing cost rose (labour, energy etc). And food had to rise as there was no way less profit for the supermarket and processors was going to be allowed.

Food is still heavily subsidised though to the uninformed it’s “free money to the farmer”…..it’s really a subsidy to the people to allow affordable food……we are only three meals away from riots at any time.

That’s the way the EU and Ireland have set the system up. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Perhaps come back in 10 years when/if agri have missed their target?

You are berating a sector for not having achieved their target overnight 10 years early. We are signed up to the reduction and policy will be implemented to achieve same. It’s already in place via nitrate banding etc.

See below some of the Carbon I am sequestering on this countries behalf. I suggest you buy some land and do the same.

I hope so.

But I also realise it matters zero to the global scale (but like to see local biodiversity).

1) As global targets are not aligned and there will be massive Agri outputs in other countries like Brazil etc. …..and I don’t blame them……200 years ago the English cleared Ireland for farm land and productivity….Brazil are at that stage now.

2) People need to eat. And farmers will need to farm either way. Pick any packet from fresh to processed and every single raw ingredient is the result of a farmer somewhere.

• Advertisement

Now I don’t think your agenda is pure and I have wasted enough time so best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭endainoz

Things are gone a bit off topic now, as does usually happen when ignorant trolls take over a thread on the farming forum.

Open to correction but Afaik that forest will fall under the LULUCF sector emissions, not agricultural emissions.

I believe you are correct. Farmers will not get recognition for the work they do…….no surprise.

But who cares who get the recognition? We are all after the same end goal right??? **** lol.

While we argue on the Internet big corporations position themselves to ride us sideways 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What are the key purposes and aims of this proposed party? These need to be very clear. Looking at present independents, elected in largely rural consituencies. Thomas Pringle and Michael Lowry are far removed from Michael Collins and Mattie McGrath. Is it conservative values and centre right as asked for by 'older by the day'. Is it about a fight back on environmental regulations? If clarity isn't outlined at the start then any such movement will split apart in a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Farming sites is a logical farming enterprise, if it's allowed. Farms are businesses and look at different models to generate income. The current owners will look at whatever incentives, grants and regulations and make decisions that suits their needs. You can get a great multiplier in value on your agricultural land if you can sell it as sites. The downside of course is that the land is lost to other farm enterprise production.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There appear to be two separate initiatives, one spearheaded by Michael Collins, the other by Michael Fitzmaurice.

As you suggest, it seems these parties, if both were to get off the ground, would have significantly different agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Michael Collins/Mattie McGrath would seem to be fishing in the area of Aontu.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IMO that one is less likely to materialise. The Healy Reas have already said they're not interested and I think most other potential recruits will eventually decide they are better off cultivating their own gardens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

No, not because we are "the highest". Every sector needs to reduce and has targets. Agriculture has the lowest % reduction target due to the reasons I outlined, and in ten years time will pro rata be even higher than now. This does not make our agricultural sector more environmentally damaging than our European counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The things being proposed are very much a Farmers Party which will quickly become a change nothing "farmers say NO" party and we will get lads like you see in the mining areas of England, France and the US.

The "my daddy was a miner, his daddy was a miner, his daddy's daddy was a miner. So I'm voting Brexit/Le Pen/Trump because they lie to me about protecting that rose tinted life"

Rural areas need better road links between hubs, better public transport and better economies in the old market towns.

Generally in Ireland a new party needs a few sitting TDs to break away to get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭older by the day

Good point breezy. We need a farmer says NO party. We have been the punch bag of every inbred bollax who gets an idea. A militant wing would be handy too. If we don't like a comment or a law we can burn down the Reichstag. Have sinn fein any hand book left over from a few years ago. A few tips on knee capping and kidnapping always handy.

Democracy is getting a bit tired when the majority is being forced by the minority.

If we wait the family farming will go like the fishermen in West cork

As a city dweller I would happily support a party that can help the towns and villages the majority of my friends either come from or commute from.

Thing about a city is only about half the people I know are from a city and about 10% of the people I work with grew up in a city.

What I won't support is NIMBYs and people who think 1950s ideas can be maintained.

I don't know do you, but tbh does it matter?

There's absolutely no part of society facing up to the climate/ environment catastrophe in any kind of realitistic way. Everybody thinks someone else is to blame and should change, but hey, BAU in the meantime.

We're all off to he'll in a handcart. At the way things are going, god only knows what we'll see in our lifetimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

Only reason that it has a lower limit is that there is a realisation that it is not the polluter.

It is the only industry that removes carbon.

The emissions from livestock is carbon that has been removed over the previous 21 days.

The emissions from agriculture are from fuel and electricity burned and fertiliser spread.

Agriculture got ####ed over in Paris in 2015.

Respiration (from all living beings) is not counted, including that from farm animals. It is assumed that the only source of carbon in respiration has been from the fuel or food eaten, and as all food is plant based, this carbon was removed through photosynthesis.

As it so happens, this is the exact same source as carbon in ruminant methane....but that IS counted...factor that...

Irish cows are attributed to belch the International calculated figure of 120kg per year. Teagasc measurements will show this to be 20 to 25% lower for Irish cows pasture systems.

Even attributing the 28 times damaging effect that methane causes and giving it its CO2-EQ figure, added to the cows 3650kg respired co2 (not counted), the CO2 removed by the grass the cow ate far exceeds and emissions she has.

So where did the carbon go?

Some is left over in the soil (currently being measured), but the rest went on as food for humans..the milk and the meat..and subsequently YOUR EMISSIONS..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

Can I ask what do you as a city dweller have to do to reduce emissions?

What part of the electricity or transport or building sector emissions do you have to counter?

Whatever your answer is...a farmer has to do all these as well.

Food production has its own 25%, plus all its costs involved in reaching all the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You've hit on a problem there. What is rural? Dublin and Cork people talk about the towns as rural. Town people refer to themselves as Urban not Rural. The "Rural" that needs representation is not the "Non-City" areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If a party isn’t to worry about towns then they may forget about being elected.

For example, my own constituency of Meath West. If you don’t do well in Navan you don’t get elected. Thems the facts

The villages and random crossroad areas need better connection to the non city urban areas and those non city urban areas need growth so that the "real" rural people don't have to travel as long for work and amenities.

Like what exactly can any party or anyone at all do for the "one pub at a crossroads" type village.

If you want a rural party because " 5 of the 6 buildings in ballyxyz used to be booming pubs and we need that back" then sorry to say that world is gone forever.

A self employed (like farmers) city dweller has to do many things and take financial hits on their business to reduce emissions too.

It's all well and good to say "what do you do" to an office or shop worker who has no say in the companies practices.

Also you can be both. I know a fair few Limerick city dwellers who are active farmers.

By all means if it is suits and is within planning guidelines, but I wouldn't say it was an entitlement. If there were such an entitlement, would the children of non landowners/farmers in the locality be entitled to CPO sites?

A neighbours family are at that craic, 3 houses built in the last 15 years, another 1 going up now, but 2 of the first ones are empty. Time and time again you'd see a lot of the houses built on free sites sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

City dwellers, particularly apartment dwellers have tiny carbon footprints in comparison to someone that's built & lives in a one off house in a rural setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭older by the day

Look don't be worrying about it. Council/euro elections are around the corner. The general election in 25. I am surprised some of the rats have not left the ship already. Green will be like a curse word in the next year. Putting back on the tax on fuel the first of June. FF and FG TDS are bound to get the message that they are in trouble. Pity they didn't put the 10 euro congestion charge in the city. Really fuuuck themselves

Anyway it's a load of shite. When grass and bushes and trees ain't measured aint counted to see what carbon sequestration is happening. I would think a lot of farms in poorer land are taking in more than giving out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The demise of buildings that used to be thriving rural pubs is part of the reason why rural Ireland needs a party or at least a collective of individuals that will adequately represent its views . Rural pubs are closed or closing because a government removed from the people it purports to represent decided to make it an offence to drive after drinking a few pints . Something that had been done for decades without issue .

There was no clamour from people living in rural areas for this change so the question that can be asked is how it occurred. Similarly with several issues . Decisions being made at a remove from those affected .

Advertisement