Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a new Rural Political Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

If you need to have a number name on your house to distinguish it from the neighbours, your urban.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I am not a farmer but live and work in rural Ireland and there’s so many things I think rural Ireland is being dealt a bad hand over by the government.

Long story short I would vote for a rural party once they have good solid social policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I would support a new Rural party that campaigns for rural matters like Closed garda stations , efforts to revitalise towns and villages etc ...but not one thats looking for more grants etc for dairy farmers driving 100K tractors !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭older by the day

Is there any good conservative party I can vote for. I see the refugees will get compensation now. If they don't get housed and the abortion laws are getting softened. I have a heart of gold but don't like getting rode. I feel I'm being pushed in to being right wing. This country is gone to far left. We can't save and keep happy the whole fuuucking world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

We can do that too if the consumer is willing to forget about traceability, food safety, animal welfare, etc. . . . .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

They are perfectly entitled to it. But honestly think they would be happier living in a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭alps

Where can you get a tractor that doesn't cost 100k?

True. But everyone would be better served if more housing was encouraged in villages. Affordable serviced sites and build what you want on it. You wouldn’t have to get into a car every time you need a litre of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Country people don't need to jump in a car every time they need a litre of milk. There's are things called organisation and planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Why would people be happier living in a town. I grew up and lived in various parts of Dublin and again live in the north of the county which is still quite rural am much happier where I am now.

No constant traffic and light pollution.

No members of the local committee asking that we keep the grass cut and remove the wild flowers planted and instead put up hanging baskets like the rest of the houses that the committee have decided are to be used.

No complaints about me hammering out a couple of mortise on a piece of furniture I'm working on in the garage after nine at night or early on a Sunday or playing music while I do.

No complaints about having commercial vehicles parked in front of the house when some friends come to stay over.

Not having to tell people to f*ck off and mind their own business and keep their kids from running through the garden, kicking a ball against our wall or standing on top of my car.

Where did I say we have a monopoly on food production or that we were the only country with ethical food production standards?

If we were allowed to use hormones on livestock and GM crops were a thing in the EU we can produce much more cheaply. The "subsidies" as you have called them, are to compensate farmers for not using such methods, along with others.

By the way, did you see last week where the UN recommended more animal based diets to counter malnutrition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Are you serious ?

They work in towns and wouldnt live there under any circumstances.Its nice to be able to live where you grew up .

Most people would rather commute than move to an urban area so what does that tell you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭893bet

You keep on about “reducing the number of farms”. You realise when a farm is sold or disappears that the land is still there? And likely it gets amalgamated into a larger farm and goes from extensive production to intensive production thereby increasing emissions.

Beef and meat consumption is still on an upward trend so not sure how big this move towards vegan/plant actually is.

I can accept there may need to be a reduction in output to meet targets. But what you must accept then is agriculture is unique as an industry and much of the emmisions come from the animals and are outside of the control.

Government policy is to pay me to do a little less (and I am certified organic so have had to cut headcount and eliminate some inputs on my small farm) in the face of massive food inflation…… suits me……**** the consumer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The planning permission thing is tricky. You can certainly make an argument that those growing up in a rural area and who wish to stay living in the community, should be able to get planning on family land etc., a free site. But this can be abused. I can think of someone in our locality who applied for site for family members, got PP and sold to third party, applied again, rinse & repeat. Took a few before the council said enough is enough. Two of the family now live in houses on the land but others don't or can't as system was exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Yes your correct we need less farmers and farms.

A farm 10 times the size will produce less emissions than 10 small family farms.

Those industrial scale farms will be very concerned with the environment (beyond legal requirements) much like other big businesses that "offset" their emissions.

There's lots of numbers thrown around about emissions but very little about sequestration other than how much more needs to be sequestered by rewetting bogland.

There's also this perception that every farm in the country is at industrial scale, many are no more intensive and are possibly less intensive than when decoupling happened 20 years ago. The more intensive ones are full time dairying which the EU encouraged by abolishing milk quota in 2015 before deciding they want to save the planet.

The plant based vegan diets have a feel of vested interests pushing it for financial gain rather than to save the planet.

Most plant based vegan produce I see being pushed is highly processed. I see very little encouragement of fresh vegetables and how to prepare them. Instead it's the likes of fake meat and how its going to save the planet. We could save the planet more if that's the driver by eliminating the processing and transport making do with whatever can be grown in this country.

We can grow a lot of spuds, it sustained our population prior to the famine, maybe eating more of them and less rice or pasta would be a start. As demand increases more home grown produce will be grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes, deprive everybody else because of one landowner know about, great logic.

Actually potatoes aren’t a great one here. Large parts of the south east are already dryer than optimal for them. And they need so much spraying for blight. There’s a lot of research being done on traditional grain varieties. A lot of potential to produce protein crops for feed at home rather than importing it too.

There are rules usually to prevent this (enforcement is a different issue). I know for my house built on family owned land I was required to live in it for 5 years after completion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i grew up in the dublin suburbs and when i hear the 'i have a right to live beside my parents, even if i'm not working the land' argument, my first response is 'you want to live beside your parents?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's a fair point, there's other parts of the country more suited to livestock farming than crops too. Rocky or wet ground isn't great either.

Historically though we didn't grow much Durum wheat or rice. I don't have statistics but I expect we eat a lot more pasta and rice compared to 30 years ago.

When people talk about reducing agriculture emissions they mostly see it as not their problem and they don't have to charge anything. It's why it's a big thing with the media, most of their consumers will agree because they think it doesn't impact them.

The danger for any rural party is that theyd be hijacked by rich dairy farmers looking for even more grants etc to make themselves richer .

Theres plenty of people in rural Ireland who are not farmers who deserve representation

I wouldn't think so no. Why would they be so entitled?

Laws,incl planning, are generally designed, for the greater public good rather than any individual benefit.

Any country with greater population density and associated pressures doesn't tolerate the willy nilly obe off developments we see in Ireland in general.

That 5 yr rule was mainly honoured I the breach around here. I'm not even sure it was enforceable after, I never heard of a prosecution after.

That we have higher agri emissions pro rata than other European states is a geographical and historical issue. An undeveloped industrial sector, low population density, climate and topography are the reasons rather than our ag systems. Its like giving Sweden credit for having a high forest cover.

Lies and stats...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭alps

Typical ignorant nonsense and sympothomatic of the contempt farmers are held in by some of society.

Let them scratch the soil with their bare hands and eek out a living...peasantry..

Average age of tractors in Ireland is 27 years old. 2nd hand tractors are suitable for many jobs, and because they are so scarce, cost multiples of their operational and depresiative value, mainly because of the low level of new tractor purchases.

Our "new tractor" bought new in 2007 has 11,000 hours on the clock. That equates to a car with over 400,000 miles on the clock (600km for those of you with newer cars).

It covers most of our work, but is now no longer realiable enough nor capabale of handeling the new equipment enforced by new regulations.

Do you sneer to the same level at a family buying a new car, a haulage company buying a new truck, a factory buying a new forklift, Ryanair buying a new plane, Irish Rail buying a new locomotive...

No...but you'll belittle and sneer at a farmer who needs to do the same.

I wouldn't even bother alps. His/her/they/their comments about "rich dairy farmers" above wanting grants to be even richer shows the level of both intellect and begrudgery we are dealing with.

Ok brains let’s look at some simple maths

2100 new tractors registered last year. 135000 farms in the country so that 1.5per c ent of farms bought a new tractor.

a tractor nessessary for work.

by comparison let’s look at cars.

100k cars last year. 1.2million households.

So 8 percent of household (which would I close some farmers) bought cars. The **** bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Well I had the sites available and it's nice that they can live in and raise their families here in the area where they were born.

Planning is simple enough to get as long as you know the right answers to the questions.

As regards other countries who cares ?Perhaps we should do what suits Ireland and not be under the illusion that everyone else is better.

Advertisement