Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a new Rural Political Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Greengrass53

Yeah I think so. How could you possibly have any respect for someone who wilfully ignores something so basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

If ‘rural’ is shorthand for anti green anti environment - no I wouldn’t vote for it.

if it’s about rural regeneration and preservation and supporting village populations, better services, better transport links, supporting business and farming that is sustainable, rewarding rural innovation etc I’d be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

It depends.

if it’s a eurosceptic or right wing party coming in by the back door they can take a running jump

If push comes to shove are they willing to form a government? If not it’s all hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

The bother with all of this new found support for farmers by a certain far right element is pure piggybacking on the success in the Netherlands.

I saw a tweet whereby someone was questioning the viability of a farmers party to which a troll replied with - we need to support our farmers, Brazil etc. - all the usual stuff. Then someone called out the troll that if you go back to his tweets from November he expressed severe disdain for farmers and all landowners. The far right seem to see farmers as an easy way of gaining votes.

Im surprised that Fitzmaurice is talking about joining them. I thought he’d be cuter than that. That said he’s around a long time and it’s time that he does something or shut up. He doesn’t want to end up as another Denis Naughton I suppose.

A sure fire way of knowing that this won’t be successful is the fact that Healy Raes are steering clear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭amacca

I presume the intended meaning of disappear is

That local people getting permission to build in their area might become a thing of the past + they wouldn't be able to afford the land anyway as rich toffs from the big schmoke would be hoovering it up and parachuting in with their Mercedes GL wagens and range rovers for the summer months ...

That's only partially tongue in cheek by the way...I'm aware of some areas where locals whose families have been there for three generations can't get permission to build on their family land (apparently they haven't satisfied planners etc regarding a sufficient connection to the area) but down the road non locals have put up what amount to holiday homes on plots that had an existing derelict dwelling they could afford to outbid the locals for......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Irelands urban population is 3.2 out of 5.1 million.of that remain rural population how would could be classed as what I ll call real rural people.i ll throw a figure of 130 thousand as being farmers and we double that for partners so you re looking at 5 % of the electorat.what would be the" catchfire"issue that is going to draw the voters to the party.not making a point just wondering is there really a market for a party

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

There are so many diverse viewpoints from within farming alone that even if the initial euphoria could get someone over the line, the honeymoon would be so short lived that it would soon decend into chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

Take my local area. My Sister in law is a nurse working in the local hospital, her husband a garda in the same local town, their two kids are in the local primary school. They applied for planning permission on a site from her parents land. On the same road she has a brother, parents, four uncles and aunts and five first cousins. She was refused four times and was told that she had insufficient need to live in the area. This is effectively rural planning permission disappearing.

There is a development of houses released in the local town, a four bed semi is €515,000. Rural houses ready to move into are freely making this and above in our area, so ergo only the wealthy can afford them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the likes of the greens would probably welcome such a new party. dilute the FF/FG/ind vote even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

This is it. So would Sinn Fein.

Keeping the greens and Sinn Fein out is a simple manifesto I could get behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That seems more like a kind of ribbon development than one off rural housing based on need tbh.

It worked well historically in peaceful rural societies for peasants and subsisting farmers but is not really compatible with any kind of sustainable modern industrial society.

On a side note, I, and I'd say a lot of people, would find living in the middle of that amount of relatives a bit claustrophobic!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The healy raes are cute as sh1thouse rats. They wont join when they can have it every way as independents. They never do anything that goes against their own self interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭older by the day

Only people with short memories would. When asked how they would pay for their day dreaming schemes, an increase of inheritance tax to 40 percent will pay for it. They will crucify self employed people.

Grand job they are doing in the north. Even biden could not stand them too long.

Proposed house is not Not ribbon development. Down a private driveway with 2 other houses and just about visible from the road. Probably 200 metres from the public road.

Ya. It was in the post you quoted. No need to live in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

I generally support farmers but "- No government support for Lobby groups (an taisce)" is ridiculous.

What you mean is you don't want support for groups that have a different agenda to you and a different idea of what "rural" means.

Farmers are a large lobby group - would you end government supports for farming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Oh I just used the phrase ribbon development based on your post where you ourlined that 11 of her relatives had houses already on the same road. I obviously have no idea of the actual layout of the area.

You wouldn't normally see multiple houses built on a private road 200m from a public road.

Most such dwellings are farmhouses/limited to farmers. It's against general planning guidelines I think, backfield development or something?

They're probably better off in the long run as such a property would be almost unsellable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Farmers have history for putting lobby groups into chaos anyway.

They won't put in any effort and then wonder why their needs aren't being delivered.

When Private meat processors were going from strength to strength farmers broke three or four factories in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

I've never been a fan of this urban/rural divide that a lot of people tend to buy into. Ireland only has one/two cities, Dublin/Belfast with the rest being rural. I always hear people in Cork etc moaning about how Dublin gets 'everything' and we get nothing and I don't agree with it as Dublin is severely lacking (as is the rest of Ireland) in transport infrastructure and planning for housing. The other common moan is about Dublin dictating to the rest of Ireland, more bull as most of our politicians 'dictating' from Dublin are politicians sent there from the rest of the country although I completely agree with the dislike of Eamon Ryan and I'm sure a lot of dubs dislike him too.

The concept of what is rural and what is urban is a complex matter too for example I'm technically in an urban area but personally it doesn't feel very urban to me as I have sweeping views of the countryside and can be surrounded by fields in over twenty mins on foot. I jog and walk in the countryside all the time. Would someone living in say Kilgarvan class Tralee as urban or not ? Would someone in Araglin class Fermoy as urban ? etc etc. A Dub would obviously view them all as rural yet there are obvious significant differences between the towns/villages in the examples. So the urban/rural divide isn't clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

The planning is ridiculous imo. A family near here all built on the farm and only one of them has any business being there. The rest of them spend their time driving in and out of the regional towns - where they should have settled in the first place. They dont really do anything in local area.

If that happened Agri product would need to rise to meet the cost of production…..You think food is dear now…..lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Think he said no financial support for lobby groups..Far as I am aware none of the farm lobby groups receive government funding unlike our beloved An Taisce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

What's ridiculous about it ? All my siblings have houses on the farm here.Ard they not entitled to build a house where they are from providing they can fund it ?

All good is sourced from a farm at some point.

All of EU is in CAP which is the “tax payer money”.

Not sure where you are going to magic up all this food that is not producered by “over subsidied Irish farmers”.

Food and energy security are the next big issues in the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What's your issue? They live in an area they want to live in. Not everybody living in a rural area works in it. People live in urban areas like Drogheda, Dundalk, Navan etc and commute to Dublin to work. Have they no right to do that. Families settling in rural areas are the live blood of those areas.

Thats either a circle we square ourself or we decimate the agri industry and instead import all food from nations that are not trying to limit production.

And I think agri will come close to targets in any case. There are lots of circles to be squared. And trade offs that may have to be made. But food…kinda crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

You only exist due to the hard work of farmers producing food at below the cost of production while you sit on your high chair spouting nonsense.

Educate yourself on the topics you are commenting on firstly.

The farmer is not propped up, it's you dinner that is subsidized, the farmer is only a middle man,

Secondly, look up how much carbon Irish farmland soaks up every year, free of charge to ungrateful people such as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭amacca

There's an argument that farms aren't economically viable because citizens like you aren't paying enough for your food and/or large supermarket chains etc are taking the lions share of the profits

Tbh I think you should be grateful for the way big business has trickled profits upwards and left family farms at or near subsistence producing food for you at low low prices for the past 40/50 years...

There's a very good argument that the grants/subsidies are what made farming unviable in the first place but they are also what left people with cheap food for so long. ..I'd be of the opinion you really wouldn't like the results if you are advocating what I think you are advocating in that post...say we did everything I think you are advocating including minimal importing of food into the country and most of our needs (not wants) provided from within ireland with excess exported, how much do you think it would have to cost to you without subsidisation for farmers to do it..(zero fertiliser etc)

Btw It's those same grants that will probably now aid in the country working towards meeting those targets...probably while the govt takes excess carbon credits under national competence and trades them to big business....

Your username is apt imo

• Advertisement

Be some whinging about the cost of living if this happened and the true cost of food was on the consumer.

Advertisement