Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2023/2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ruralevent101

Are you in the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Stretch1432

Your spot on with everything you said . No worklife blanace and its a single persons game. Shame what the job has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

<mod snip>

Off topic.

-Shield

Post edited by Shield on

• Registered Users Posts: 23 racheldowney2

Hi, I’ve also applied for this year’s campaign. I’ve put down 3 education slots and one of them is the leaving cert. Did them from recent to 2 years ago for example . It said on the video for the package to put down courses you have done or not even completed. To make your application look good. If you didn’t put one down, you can always mention it in the interview. As it’s new information for them to gather. Hope this helps

Irishguy215702 is probably the sort of person that if they worked in their bed, they’d sleep on the floor. There’s negatives with every job and you’re always going to be compensated. Have people make up their own minds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

I find that there's an incredible amount of negativity for the guards on this thread, it's obviously a very tough job to do and not easy and you shouldn't be naive as to think it will be great and you'll be stationed on your doorstep but people genuinely want to join the guards. Some want a career change and with the new age limits it's opened up to people who thought the chance was gone.

I understand people's frustration on here who are guards and who know guards but it's almost like a campaign to get people not to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Stretch1432

You should be happy people are opening up about it . People were going into the job with rose tinted glasses thinking everything was peachy about the job but the resignations have been rising year on year and they are mainly with people of less than 5 years service. The job consumes you and takes over your life and you will have to commit your whole time to it and will have no work life balance . Thats all we are trying to say. If you have the time and energy for it then go for it.

Oh I take that on board and you're giving your opinion of your circumstances which is valuable to read of course and helpful to people. More real life experiences and knowledge is great for people to read on here.

I was only feeling that there seems to be a incredible amount of negativity about it. I rarely see anything to say that it's positive. I do know a couple of guards and thet have good and bad things to say but it's not all bad of course. Where your stationed who you work with is also a factor I would imagine.

A good few applying for it will have alot more life experiences not like maybe an 18 year old out of school with no previous experience of a job etc.....those older people will have worked, juggled life/family/work balance, worked in environments that are toxic etc dealt with difficult people....so they could be prepared for it and see the guards as something they like to do and are prepared to have to deal with situations that are tough.

At the end of the day some people just want to be a guard and would love to do it and those who are older that thought their opportunity was gone now have an opportunity to be a guard good luck to them I'm sure they will weigh it up if it's the right choice or not.

Is the Garda shift pattern 4 on and then 4 off?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭psnaye2023

@ruralevent101

“This morning that all changed as Harris’ team told the GRA and garda associations that on 6 November, 2023 gardaí attached to regular uniform response units and the Armed Support Unit, control room operators, immigration officers as well as other units would stay on the four-on-four-off 12 hour shift rotation. 

While all other units attached to detective branch, traffic units and community policing would adopt the six-on-four off 10 hour shift rotation.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Murphy2024

Just wondering if anyone here has previously sat the phase 1 online exam? If so, is Phase 1's Verbal, Numerical, Questionnaire, and Written exercise, completed in one sitting?

Or for example, can you complete the online verbal part of the exam first then the numerical later on in the day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RarePhilosophy

If I remember correctly you can complete each part in the time frame allocated which is around 1 week. So you could go numerical on Monday and do Verbal on Friday. I myself done it all in the one sitting.

For me written assessment was completely separate and was part of phase 2 of the process. We done it before the interview.

"Around 2,300 (36.6%) of them are aged between 35 and 49."

Still interest and up from the last campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It will be interesting how they treat the older age categories- will they be assigned similar work in the short term throughout probationary period? Probably. But after graduation? Hmmm not sure about that - I don’t know what’s considered a good role or a bad role but given some might only have 15 years of active service left due to their age joining, might they be placed in I dunno, “dead-end” roles whilst the younger guards are trained up to be the leaders of tomorrow? (Don’t even know what a dead end role might be- some might consider such roles good depending on home life etc)

Or would good maturity and life experience no less some decent qualifications allow a fast track approach to promotion for the “older” candidates?

It's hard to know really, shows interest from the 35's and with the new campaign they'll have to be seen to bring through that older group or people will just say it was a PR, of course those people have to be good enough too.

Regarding what they will do with the older people they will have alot of offer and life experiences are what they want you will get alot of good people applying and no reason as to limit them to "dead end rolls". You can see the age of retirement being lifted too can't see that staying at 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Certainly I’m not advocating dead end roles for the older recruits - probably the opposite, for those with relevant experience.

Experienced hires at a more senior level is a very common occurrence in the private sector - I guess it remains to be seen but would be a shame if skills and experience were ignored and then made do roles that would be harder to get a promotion from - they’ll need to think about their approach to developing and supporting these candidates differently- I’m sure some would likely prefer a steady as she goes type of career- but there will be others who through relevant qualifications etc will have the ability to fast track to certain important roles and work - that should be encouraged in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PostMahole

Templemore in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭billyhead

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gesse

Hey Guys, do we know how many batches in 2023 Campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭runnerboy

Lads, Im batch 2 and wondering did anyone get called for next intake in April. Am i right in saying from our campaign 2023/24 only the first 150 got called in after xmas. Just wondering how long before we get called. My father knows guys who were waiting 2 to 3 years to get called in recently. I hope its not that long.

• Advertisement

Wow 2/3 years that's nuts, how can they let people wait that long they've life's and jobs. Imagine you were 49 and they said 2/3 waiting and then you're 52. :-) that waiting will definately put people off who are over the 35 and maybe some younger too.

That's not gonna fly. Is it they just don't have the capacity to get all these people in the college? What's the max number at a time they can take?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭runnerboy

I think the reason for them delays is the vetting process, especially if relatives are abroad in USA or Australia. By being abroad greatly slows down the process. Im just waying off do i go back to college next Sept or wait for an offer. Dont want to pay college fees and then to pull out.

Ah ok I get that alot to process so if youre pretty straight forward as in haven't lived abroad etc....it shouldn't take too much time?

I seen the most they took since Covid was around 174.

Edit: Badly worded. I’m referring to single intakes to Templemore that occur every 11weeks. Not all recruits since Covid.

Post edited by RarePhilosophy on

Does anyone know is it quicker if your vetting checks are in Europe or does it make a difference? E.g. UK , France , Spain ?

So looking at those figures for this round over 6000 applications and 167 places?

Sorry 174 I mean

I though you meant for the next intake in April. So basically every 11 weeks you have an intake of students. Templemore usually processes 3 different intakes at a time. Each intake at the college would be at a different phase (1-3). In phase 2 you would be on placement in station but still be classed as a student of the college.

For the entire campaign of 2024: Well, From the 2022 campaign for example, 838 recruits entered the Garda College from that campaign . So I would imagine it will be similar for the 2023 and 2024 campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 D-Reg14

For anyone wondering how you are contacted about medical results, I’ve been emailing and phoning for the last 8 weeks.Finally found out today I was signed off on the 5th of jan.There doesn’t seem to be a certain way of doing things. Some will get an email, some won’t.

• Advertisement

Mine was signed off after as well and they didn’t tell me until I rang and asked Garda HR. I think they contact you if there is an issue with it.

Advertisement