Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2023/2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

Of course maybe I'm naive, you don't think so? I get you sign up for it and you go where they send you etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Marty1476

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭giseva

So far it has just been an initial application by publicjobs.ie on which general details, education, employment history and a section on why the candidate feels they would make a good Garda Trainee. The only other thing I could see was a tick box verifying the meeting of the specified criteria. But no form B as yet. Could anyone to that has just applied for the 2024 shed any light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

Cheers mate appreciate it, sorry are you a guard or went for it or going for it?

The new age restrictions has opened it up for me who maybe wanted to do it years ago but things happened so I never did it. As I said I don't know too much about the process I do have people I know who are guards but in general not a clue about the process or the college etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 joco12

Hi,

For the medical, I’m wondering about the hearing test. I have good conversational hearing but I wear a cochlear implant. I saw they said about having good conversational hearing without the use of hearing aid.. . So does a cochlear implant count as a hearing aid? Or does this disqualify me straight away?

Post edited by joco12 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ruralevent101

Does anyone have any good tips for the obstacle course? I see the bleep test talked about a good bit but no so much the obstacle course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

The official rules are that outside Dublin, Cork, and Limerick, with under 5 years service you cannot be stationed within 80kms of your home place, or any place a family member or an in-law has a business. After 5 years service that reduces to 50kms. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but that's the official policy.

So yes, you can be sent anywhere. You can make an application on welfare grounds, but the 'exigencies of the service' take precedence. Like at the moment, the vast majority of recruits will be going to Dublin for the foreseeable future....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 puntcuncher

Hi Marty, I was caught by the guards speed gun as couple years ago going 10 over the limit. I got penalty points but it never went to court. I never declared this on the form B cause I don't think it was necessary. Should I have declared this do you think?

My golden rule going forward is that I will be declaring absolutely everything, only because i was rejected before but In my opinion I don't think you need to worry about that as its not necessarily a criminal offense. Still be no harm to ask the Garda HR team, they are very helpful

The obstacle course is no panic whatsoever, only advice I can give is sprint where you can in between the obstacles and take your time on the actual obstacles.

The balance beam and ducking under the pole are where most people get penalized on, so slow and take your time on these, everything else can be done at speed. Once you get to the third lap, that Dummy will feel ten times heavier, but you'll be grand

As far as I know they've done away with the Push Pull machine as lot of people were failing on that

• Advertisement

I'm not a guard, yet! :-), but I have been through the process a few times so happy to help with any info I can. There does seem to be changes in the process since my last application but any advice I can give, please feel free to ask and I will answer publicly to help anyone else too

• Registered Users Posts: 32 puntcuncher

Thanks a million Marty. I took your advice and gave them a call and you were right, the woman on the phone said to disclose ANY interaction with the Guards. She just told me to outline it all in an email and send it on so they can add it to their file. You're a legend for giving the heads up, Cant thank you enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jcoyne22

Waiting around for vetting to be completed for a while and holding up offers being given out is just holding everything up. Understandable that it has to be done but time wise and waiting for answers. Considering everything else is done and finished for a while now and last time I asked for information the answer is "its still in progress and status is the same". Is anybody else at this point where notification / movement has just gone quite. Thanks

The HR team are great, and they're delighted to help in anyway they can. The fact that you were proactive and disclosed this information will only help your application. I hope the best for you in your application :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

I can’t believe you’re all taking advice from someone who failed to join AGS.

Anyone who is successful in joining can be sent any where in the country. Once your transfer is in you wait like the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RarePhilosophy

How long do you reckon the average wait time is to transfer out of Dublin to the west of the country? Would you be looking at a around 5 years?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You would be looking at around five years for Dublin. There are plenty waiting longer though and it depends what Division you are trying to transfer to too.

Welfare cases are taken on board and the fact that someone has kids, family commitments, a mortgage and so on would be recognised. However it is important to be aware that this is still not a guarantee that you will be stationed relatively close to home. I know a few with kids and babies who got shafted in recent years, living in Limerick or Cork and sent to Dublin. In saying that their transfers came through within a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Mortgage is not a standalone factor to keep you stationed close to home..

kids or minding someone sick is all that can save you

if you don’t believe me go and find out yourselves

Easily 5 years. I ended up loving Dublin and I will never transfer but I know people waiting longer than 5 years. Honestly, it’s a young man’s game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

if your married with kids, surly they won't ship you off down the country ,

The 305 euro a week while training makes it impossible for anyone with a half decent job to apply , they are losing out on so many good Garda ists crazy,

Why not just pay full from the start ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Do you understand the job you're applying for at all? There are lads commuting over an hour into Dublin 4-6 days a week with a wife, kids and a mortgage. That's with anywhere from 5-10 years service and they're still waiting on transfers. Tell them you're being hard done by.

There are shifts you could end up working well past the end of your day, like 15hrs+ past it..ontop of the 12 you've already done. Doesn't matter who or what you have at home, you're there until you're done.

It was €184 for years and that was before tax, thousands survived on it. You'll live. You don't get full pay because you're not a Garda, you've no power and no responsibility.

I've said it before..some people here need a serious wake up call about the job they're applying for. The sense of entitlement is unreal, the bend will be taken out of some of you rapid when ya get onto a unit lads, some of you are in for a serious wakeup call.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So if your in your 40 now trying your hand now & you did a FAS course when you left school got a job out of that which lead from one job to another to where you are now 20 years later ,

Will they care about the results or even what course you did when yo where 18/19 ,

Its over 20 years ago , no idea where the results of said course are now or even the full title of the course was,

Surely good references & what you actually work at now is far more important to them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ruralevent101

You’re literally getting paid to be trained. The opposite of university. It isn’t a job yet

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭giseva

Some people probably do need to think seriously about it before applying in terms of getting sent absolutely anywhere. The fact remains, the training wage and the age has been significantly increased to attract more people. I don't think this is because the job is amazing and without hardship on many levels. I don't think it's because there are too many Gardai, and all are really content. The increases are because the numbers aren't there, and there is a retention issue. I'm sure successful candidates will be sent to places they do not wish to go, but from what I've read here, people are asking relevant questions. And if there's no hope for anyone getting sent to reasonable locations, even with the new age increase, and the numbers still aren't achieved...well then what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭billyhead

I suppose it's good to advise applicants what their getting into. Might make them second think as to whether they should apply or not and not waste their time.

Yet so many will waste their time, realise that they aren't so special that they will be placed close to home with literally hundreds, if not more waiting for transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Think a bigger issue here is how the select few with pull are still getting a handy station, without a welfare case or genuine reason to be close to home in 2024. this needs to be addressed. While hundreds, if not thousands wait for transfers. heard recent cases where people with genuine welfare cases are getting denied.

in the last few intakes, pretty much everyone (bar the above select few and welfare cases) went to Dublin/ Dublin outskirts.

When do we think this will have to ease off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

…….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

Honestly it’s ok bit tough on the legs. If you pass the beep/push ups and sit ups, I don’t think the obstacle course will be a problem. You get up to 2 hours rest between the tests. I got 1 hour but they gave us the option to start earlier and I took it. 

I took it slow in the beginning with the cones, plank walk etc so as not to get a time fault, I sped up in between each obstacle. The second half of it I just powered through and really sprinted at the end. Just go for it and don’t hold back. It’s 3 mins of your life and then it’s over!

Training wise: I went for jogs and sprinted between light poles, used the prowler in the gym in sets of 3. So prowler (pulling it then pushing back to start) then onto push-ups and sit ups. I also did some general weight training and a sprint session once a week. I found the tests on the day to be easy but it just showed the training paid off.

Another tip on the day: warm up before the tests!

Advertisement